Deleted

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: What are the cities around the world with high LDS populations?

Post by Silver »

Gilmer, TX
Population: 5,000
LDS presence: 4 wards

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Why haven't you posted about your knee surgery? Because it was so minor you have already forgot about it?

Anyway, there are no big cities around the world of LDS.

California has 750,000 LDS, but they are scattered, or sprinkled like salt all over the state, and are only 2% of the population and only one half of them are at all active.

The only high density LDS towns are small towns around Utah, Arizona and Idaho that were long ago established by LDS pioneers/settlers.

There are many such little towns around with 95 or so percent LDS, but again, about half and then not all the time active or fully active.

Why do you ask?
dc

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Highland Utah.

Okay granted our population is only around 19,000. But our local high school is the 5th largest in the state. When my oldest son was in high school (this was over 10 years ago) the School had about 98% of it's student body enrolled in Seminary. OKAY major disclaimer, many of those kids were in because of their parents forcing them. Still it was a good thought. :D

Those numbers have gone down I'm sure since then. There have been many non-members move here because of the family friendly community with high standards. Heck our local stores and shops are even closed on Sunday's.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

Nukuʻalofa, Tonga
Papeete, French Polynesia
Lamont, Iowa

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

gkearney wrote: February 1st, 2018, 9:02 pmLamont, Iowa
I'd be surprised if there were any LDS people living in Lamont, Iowa, let alone a majority. There are 3 churches in the tiny town of Lamont, none of which are LDS -
First Baptist Church
Grace United Methodist Church
St. Peter Lutheran Church

I'm curious where you're getting your data?

Tbone
captain of 100

Post by Tbone »

EmmaLee wrote: February 2nd, 2018, 12:41 pm
I'd be surprised if there were any LDS people living in Lamont, Iowa, let alone a majority. There are 3 churches in the tiny town of Lamont, none of which are LDS -
First Baptist Church

Maybe he means Lamoni, Iowa, but that is Community of Christ territory.

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

Some towns in Wyoming as well.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Tbone wrote: February 2nd, 2018, 1:59 pm
EmmaLee wrote: February 2nd, 2018, 12:41 pm
First Baptist Church

Maybe he means Lamoni, Iowa, but that is Community of Christ territory.
I considered that, but yeah, no LDS in Lamoni either. I've lived in Iowa for 30 years - there are no towns or cities in the state that have a majority or even a high number of LDS people.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

Sourry auto correctiona nd me not paying attention I did mean Lamoni, Iowa. Yes I know it is an RLDS town so I'm stretching the case here. Others would be Stonington, Deer Isle, Beals Island and Jonesport, Maine.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

They changed from RLDS to Community of Christ 17 years ago - nobody around here has any idea what "RLDS" even is anymore (except for much older people), nor does anyone (least of all, CoC members) connect them to the LDS Church.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

EmmaLee wrote: February 2nd, 2018, 4:21 pm They changed from RLDS to Community of Christ 17 years ago - nobody around here has any idea what "RLDS" even is anymore (except for much older people), nor does anyone (least of all, CoC members) connect them to the LDS Church.
Well my RLDS family, in maine still use the older name, along with the new one and while some might not make the connection between two my family still very much do even if it is to consider the LDS to be an apostate branch of the faith. I take a fairly expansive view of the matter give I have family spread across the restoration.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

gkearney wrote: February 2nd, 2018, 4:45 pm
EmmaLee wrote: February 2nd, 2018, 4:21 pm They changed from RLDS to Community of Christ 17 years ago - nobody around here has any idea what "RLDS" even is anymore (except for much older people), nor does anyone (least of all, CoC members) connect them to the LDS Church.
Well my RLDS family, in maine still use the older name, along with the new one and while some might not make the connection between two my family still very much do even if it is to consider the LDS to be an apostate branch of the faith. I take a fairly expansive view of the matter give I have family spread across the restoration.
You've mentioned before about your CoC family, so I figured that's where you were coming from. Our long-time neighbors across the street are CoC (in fact, she graduated from Graceland in Lamoni) - they would die before they referred to themselves as RLDS, or claimed any connection whatsoever to the LDS Church - so maybe it's a regional thing. Both sides of my family joined the LDS Church in 1830, so I have family spread across the restoration, as well. ;) Nevertheless, not sure what that has to do with this thread, as he asked about cities with high LDS populations, not splinter groups, but whatevs.

Zowieink
captain of 100

Post by Zowieink »

Mesa, AZ (about 22% LDS)
Queen Creek, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
San Tan Valley, AZ
Chandler, AZ
Douglas, AZ
Safford/Pima, AZ
Snowflake, AZ