Mike Stroud Reeled in by the church

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Arenera
captain of 1,000

Re: Mike Stroud Reeled in by the church

Post by Arenera »

endlessismyname wrote: February 14th, 2019, 4:01 pm
Arenera wrote: February 14th, 2019, 3:25 pm
h_p wrote: February 14th, 2019, 3:00 pm
e-eye2.0 wrote: February 14th, 2019, 2:41 pm Mike, wouldn't stop doing what he was asked not to do which fell into the apostate/speculative doctrine.
You can march in gay pride parades and agitate for acceptance of gay marriages, but not preach that you can see angels, receive the baptism of fire, and commune with the Lord. Got it.

The man can answer truthfully to all the temple recommend questions and pass, yet can't be a member of the church. That just makes no sense to me. Ah well. I wish him luck in his journey. If he's right with God, then no man can touch him. If he's not, then nothing I say here makes any difference.
Denver Snuffer was negative against the Church and Leaders.

Mike is positive. I don’t understand this. The spiritual experiences are in the Book of Mormon, D&C, PoGP, Bible. The Leaders need to explain it.
I have some personal experience with a relative who believes she is receiving revelation from the Holy Ghost, but is clearly deceived. Multiple priesthood holders with stewardship over her have told her that the revelation is false. A couple women who know of the experience have told her it's not from the Lord. I have spent hours counseling with her, to no avail. She is convinced that she has received a special revelation.

She loves the church. She believes in our leaders (except for her local ones, on this particular issue). She would never speak ill of either. But she's deceived.

It appears to me that Mike is deceived. I'm sure he does love the church and its leaders, but apparently not as much as he loves the experiences he's claiming to have, and the attention they seem to bring. Time will tell whether he's made the right choice.
Ok, should a person seek the Holy Ghost?

Should a person seek Christ?

What is going on here?

e-eye2.0
captain of 100

Post by e-eye2.0 »

investigator wrote: February 14th, 2019, 3:45 pm
e-eye2.0 wrote: February 14th, 2019, 3:05 pm
e-eye2.0 wrote: February 14th, 2019, 2:41 pm Mike, wouldn't stop doing what he was asked not to do which fell into the apostate/speculative doctrine.
You can march in gay pride parades and agitate for acceptance of gay marriages, but not preach that you can see angels, receive the baptism of fire, and commune with the Lord. Got it.

The man can answer truthfully to all the temple recommend questions and pass, yet can't be a member of the church. That just makes no sense to me. Ah well. I wish him luck in his journey. If he's right with God, then no man can touch him. If he's not, then nothing I say here makes any difference.
Look what Denver Snuffer did. Pulled a bunch of people out of the church. Yes, you can do a lot of bad stuff and not get tossed but when you get a big following it gets real very quickly. That's why they call it wolves in sheep's clothing. The prepper community is stunned as they didn't see it coming.
Whose behavior is more like a wolf in sheep's clothing. The man who is doing his humble best to follow the path he believes the Savior is taking him on or the Stake President who uses the threat of force and coercion to attempt to modify a behavior that is harming no one; then sever's the man from the church because of what he teaches. He has broken no commandment, committed no crime, violated no covenant other that disobedience to a man. "Cursed is he that putteth his trust in man, or maketh flesh his arm, or shall hearken unto the precepts of men". People have their agency. No one is forcing them to listen to Stroud's pod casts. Try to persuade Stroud with gentleness, meekness, and love unfeigned if he doesn't come around let him go his way.
Since this doesn't apply to this case it really doesn't matter. We can play all kinds of what if games "if" you would like. What if Mike didn't teach false doctrine online in the first place. We wouldn't even be having this conversation.

The Denver Snuffer crowd stuck up for him all the way out of the church. I hope Mike makes the corrections and doesn't claim the church is apostate after he couldn't get his ruling overturned.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

Ok, should a person seek the Holy Ghost?
A person should seek to receive the Holy Ghost, yes.

That probably means different things to different people. My personal opinion is that as disciples, we should strive to have as intimate a relationship with him as we can.

What is going on here?
The same thing that's been going on in every religion since the beginning of time. Sincere devotees are seeking to gain further light and knowledge, and some of them are straying out of bounds. They're being told to stop; they're refusing. They splinter off from the larger group, and start their own movements. The cycle repeats.

Does that make sense?

I AM
captain of 1,000

Post by I AM »

e-eye2.0 wrote: February 14th, 2019, 4:15 pm
investigator wrote: February 14th, 2019, 3:45 pm
e-eye2.0 wrote: February 14th, 2019, 3:05 pm

Look what Denver Snuffer did. Pulled a bunch of people out of the church. Yes, you can do a lot of bad stuff and not get tossed but when you get a big following it gets real very quickly. That's why they call it wolves in sheep's clothing. The prepper community is stunned as they didn't see it coming.
Whose behavior is more like a wolf in sheep's clothing. The man who is doing his humble best to follow the path he believes the Savior is taking him on or the Stake President who uses the threat of force and coercion to attempt to modify a behavior that is harming no one; then sever's the man from the church because of what he teaches. He has broken no commandment, committed no crime, violated no covenant other that disobedience to a man. "Cursed is he that putteth his trust in man, or maketh flesh his arm, or shall hearken unto the precepts of men". People have their agency. No one is forcing them to listen to Stroud's pod casts. Try to persuade Stroud with gentleness, meekness, and love unfeigned if he doesn't come around let him go his way.
Since this doesn't apply to this case it really doesn't matter. We can play all kinds of what if games "if" you would like. What if Mike didn't teach false doctrine online in the first place. We wouldn't even be having this conversation.

The Denver Snuffer crowd stuck up for him all the way out of the church. I hope Mike makes the corrections and doesn't claim the church is apostate after he couldn't get his ruling overturned.
----------------
What if Mike has been doing nothing but teaching the truth,
because the church IS in apostasy. WHICH I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT IT IS.
So I hope Mike stays with the truth he has been teaching,
and who cares what the church does.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

endlessismyname wrote: February 14th, 2019, 5:30 pm Ok, should a person seek the Holy Ghost?

That probably means different things to different people. My personal opinion is that as disciples, we should strive to have as intimate a relationship with him as we can.

What is going on here?
The same thing that's been going on in every religion since the beginning of time. Sincere devotees are seeking to gain further light and knowledge, and some of them are straying out of bounds. They're being told to stop; they're refusing. They splinter off from the larger group, and start their own movements. The cycle repeats.

Does that make sense?
No. Bruce McConkie said we should seek the face of Christ. So does Nephi. So does Moroni.

Read Alma 5.

Something doesn’t add up.

lemuel
Operating Thetan

Post by lemuel »

Arenera wrote: February 14th, 2019, 5:52 pm
endlessismyname wrote: February 14th, 2019, 5:30 pm Ok, should a person seek the Holy Ghost?

What is going on here?

Does that make sense?
No. Bruce McConkie said we should seek the face of Christ. So does Nephi. So does Moroni.

Read Alma 5.

Maybe some people are allowed to say it, and some aren't. Have any church leaders this century said we should seek the face of Christ?

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

lemuel wrote: February 14th, 2019, 5:56 pm

What is going on here?

Does that make sense?

Read Alma 5.

Maybe some people are allowed to say it, and some aren't. Have any church leaders this century said we should seek the face of Christ?
President Nelson: I fear that there are too many priesthood bearers who have done little or nothing to develop their ability to access the powers of heaven.

Why would any man waste his days and settle for Esau’s mess of pottage6 when he has been entrusted with the possibility of receiving all of the blessings of Abraham?7

I urgently plead with each one of us to live up to our privileges as bearers of the priesthood. In a coming day, only those men who have taken their priesthood seriously, by diligently seeking to be taught by the Lord Himself, will be able to bless, guide, protect, strengthen, and heal others.
That is why things don’t add up.

Jesef
captain of 1,000

Post by Jesef »

What is going on here?

Does that make sense?

Read Alma 5.

I don't think so, but Pres. Oaks said that he had never even visited with an angel from heaven (like Alma the Younger) & that we wasn't aware of any of his Brethren of the Apostles (the 15) having had an experience like that either. So I don't think they would really KNOW about it from personal experience.

Jesef
captain of 1,000

Post by Jesef »

Arenera wrote: February 14th, 2019, 6:03 pm

What is going on here?

Does that make sense?

Read Alma 5.

President Nelson: I fear that there are too many priesthood bearers who have done little or nothing to develop their ability to access the powers of heaven.

Why would any man waste his days and settle for Esau’s mess of pottage6 when he has been entrusted with the possibility of receiving all of the blessings of Abraham?7

I urgently plead with each one of us to live up to our privileges as bearers of the priesthood. In a coming day, only those men who have taken their priesthood seriously, by diligently seeking to be taught by the Lord Himself, will be able to bless, guide, protect, strengthen, and heal others.
That is too generic & abstract. I can bet he did not mean, in person, literally, face to face, but some more like "inspiration", revelation by the Spirit, listening to those who speak for Him (namely Pres. Nelson & Apostles), etc. Not Second Comforter. 99.999% guaranteed.

I AM
captain of 1,000

Post by I AM »

Mike is positive. I don’t understand this. The spiritual experiences are in the Book of Mormon, D&C, PoGP, Bible. The Leaders need to explain it.
I have some personal experience with a relative who believes she is receiving revelation from the Holy Ghost, but is clearly deceived. Multiple priesthood holders with stewardship over her have told her that the revelation is false. A couple women who know of the experience have told her it's not from the Lord. I have spent hours counseling with her, to no avail. She is convinced that she has received a special revelation.

She loves the church. She believes in our leaders (except for her local ones, on this particular issue). She would never speak ill of either. But she's deceived.

It appears to me that Mike is deceived. I'm sure he does love the church and its leaders, but apparently not as much as he loves the experiences he's claiming to have, and the attention they seem to bring. Time will tell whether he's made the right choice.
-----------------
so WHAT'S the "right choice ?
if you bow down to the brethren
then you've made the right choice ?. ya right.

HOW ! do you know she's deceived?
ANYONE, (and there's been several over the years)
that has had a revelation that doesn't go right along
with everything the church says, they tell you the same thing
that they told the girl you had mentioned.
That it's false. That you've been deceived.
Well maybe it's NOT false.
Maybe the church is the one that's been deceived.

I would like to hear her vision or revelation,
because it's probably true.
Last edited by I AM on February 14th, 2019, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Jesef wrote: February 14th, 2019, 6:06 pm

Read Alma 5.

That is too generic & abstract. I can bet he did not mean, in person, literally, face to face, but some more like "inspiration", revelation by the Spirit, listening to those who speak for Him (namely Pres. Nelson & Apostles), etc. Not Second Comforter. 99.999% guaranteed.
Those are actually more important than seeing. Nephi heard, heard, talked to, had visions before he saw him.

Jesef
captain of 1,000

Post by Jesef »

Arenera wrote: February 14th, 2019, 6:18 pm
Jesef wrote: February 14th, 2019, 6:06 pm

Those are actually more important than seeing. Nephi heard, heard, talked to, had visions before he saw him.
More important, but less powerful, lesser degree, got it - makes perfect sense.

DesertWonderer2
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer2 »

Stroud's excommunication was 100% with out a doubt the right thing to do. The only thing I have a problem with is that it wasn't done sooner. That just goes to show you the great mercy that was extended to him by his heaven-lead leaders

He taught evil philosophies of men mingled w scripture and was the cause of the damming of many one-time saints.

I'm' sad it came to this but glad it happened so that maybe some of his deceived followers may be saved.

True
captain of 100

Post by True »

I am so darn curious about what the revelation is! Any hints?

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

Mike, Denver, and host of others like em, what do they have in common? They all think they know some hidden mystery and that the leadership is in the dark. Although a goal worthy of striving for, calling and election and beyond can be a one way ticket to deception and cutting yourself off of ordinances and covenants that have eternal consequences.

Enos didn’t receive blessings by spending all his time focusing on himself, he repented and then went to work helping the Lord feed his sheep! Let’s get our act together and help the Lord gather Israel and prepare the world for his second coming.

I AM
captain of 1,000

Post by I AM »

drtanner wrote: February 14th, 2019, 9:20 pm Mike, Denver, and host of others like em, what do they have in common?
NOTHING !

I AM
captain of 1,000

Post by I AM »

DesertWonderer2 wrote: February 14th, 2019, 6:55 pm Stroud's excommunication was 100% with out a doubt the right thing to do. The only thing I have a problem with is that it wasn't done sooner. That just goes to show you the great mercy that was extended to him by his heaven-lead leaders

He taught evil philosophies of men mingled w scripture and was the cause of the damming of many one-time saints.

I'm' sad it came to this but glad it happened so that maybe some of his deceived followers may be saved.
----------------
I think you have it backwards.
those that bring out the truth,
the church ALWAYS silences.

Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.

But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows’ houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.

Woe unto you, ye blind guides, which say, Whosoever shall swear by the temple, it is nothing; but whosoever shall swear by the gold of the temple, he is a debtor!

Bostonboy
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Bostonboy »

“Judge not that ye be not judged”. Brother Stroud isn’t some malicious anti Mormon, energy healing wacko that’s trying to make a profit off weak members. He’s not even trying to gather a group of “holier than thou” members who think they are special (like Denver snuffer and his followers). From the beginning he teaches doctrine, with direct quotes from apostles and prophets, and does this without taking them out of context. If you actually listen to a questionable podcast from the past you will see he specifically teaches to pray, and stay in line with the leaders and THEN shared his opinion by saying “this is my opinion.” When he has been corrected he changes immediately. He did this in the past and is doing this again now.

His testimony was nothing but truth today as he shared that he knows the church is true, Christ is at the head and that president Nelson is our prophet. Did Denver snuffer or any anti Mormon do that? I can’t think of ONE who the day after being excommunicated said “hey everyone follow the brethren, stay in the church study the scriptures and you’ll be alright”. There was no malicious intent in his BoM podcasts now either. He sincerely desires to help others come to Christ and learn the truth.

Each time he has shared his own speculations and experiences he has never said his way is the only way or the right way. He’s just someone trying to share what he’s learning. He corrects himself a lot of the time as he learns.

I feel sorry for brother Stroud. I sincerely pray and also believe that he will return to the church soon.

I’ve listened to every podcast he put out prior to his first conflict with the church and could see some things that he may have explained in too much depth. However, I know that he never did this with malicious intent. If he had he would’ve been ex’d then instead of now. A true seeker makes mistakes. With some of the attitudes on this forum I’m sure some of you would have called for Joseph’s excommunication when you learn the history of poor choices he made. But he was learning just like we are. Mike never meant to say it’s okay to be deceived, what he was meaning is we are already deceived now so the only way to learn is to pray for discernment and when we fail, repent and learn from it. He wasn’t advocating following false prophets or false ideas. Don’t exaggerate his words.

One person to remember and consider is Abraham Gileadi. He taught truths from Isaiah and is probably one of the most brilliant scholars on Isaiah today besides Isaiah himself. Hugh Nibley, who would answer questions from prophets, also stated Something similar. But gileadi wrote a book about how there would be a davidic servant as clearly taught in Isaiah if we understand how the Jews learned and taught each other. When leaders in his stake learned this they immediately thought he was teaching something like Denver Snuffer did or John Dehlin. However he did not associate with them in any way. But opinions sometimes seem to get in the way of truth and so he was ex’d. For years he went to church faithfully, not complaining for the only wrong he did of sharing truth. Neal A Maxwell found out and expunged his record as if he was never excommunicated and restored his blessings. He was never asked to retract anything he wrote or shared (except of course by leaders of his stake who were wrong).

I use this example to show we shouldn’t judge and God will make this right. There are wicked stake presidents, and righteous ones. Some have power in the priesthood and others have mere authority in name only. I’m not saying to judge mike strouds stake president as evil or in error because I don’t know why he was or what the exact circumstances are. However there are people who have been excommunicated wrongly. Time will tell, but Gileadi shared after he was reinstated that he learned from God in a special way why he went through such a trial and realized it was his decent before the ascent that he had taught from Isaiah for years.

I’m grateful for our living prophet, President Nelson, and have a sure witness he is Gods mouthpiece today. This church is Christ’s living church and the Book of Mormon is true. God will make all things right and the only thing we can do is love and serve those around us and pray especially for those who are struggling from pain others have caused or that they have brought on themselves.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

drtanner wrote: February 14th, 2019, 9:20 pm Mike, Denver, and host of others like em, what do they have in common? They all think they know some hidden mystery and that the leadership is in the dark. Although a goal worthy of striving for, calling and election and beyond can be a one way ticket to deception and cutting yourself off of ordinances and covenants that have eternal consequences.

Enos didn’t receive blessings by spending all his time focusing on himself, he repented and then went to work helping the Lord feed his sheep! Let’s get our act together and help the Lord gather Israel and prepare the world for his second coming.
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

Kingdom of ZION
captain of 1,000

Post by Kingdom of ZION »

Kenco wrote: February 14th, 2019, 3:38 pm mike Stroud taught false doctrines, much of which were teachings of new age spiritualism. Energy healing philosophies. I’m glad that he won’t be deceiving members of the church by using his membership status.
Now it’s time to put energy healing in its place!
First I need to state that I do not believe in energy healing! Now, Joseph Smith said: “I believe all that God ever revealed, and I never hear of a man being damned for believing too much; but they are damned for unbelief.” Joseph Smith.

The point here I must interject is... "WHO may be the judge of what G_d has revealed unto one man or another? NO ONE! It is between YOU and G_d! Aman!"

DFNDR
Hi, I'm new.

Post by DFNDR »

I love Mike with all of my heart. He’s a dear friend. Mike helped me through a difficult repentance. He found me in a very dark place. I could not have been in a more dangerous self inflicted mess, yet Christ was reaching out to me, and he knew the physical hands He could trust to reach me, belonged to Mike Stroud. I’m back, I’m clean, I’m grateful to my Savior for allowing me to know and trust Mike Stroud.

e-eye2.0
captain of 100

Post by e-eye2.0 »

Kingdom of ZION wrote: February 15th, 2019, 12:08 am
Kenco wrote: February 14th, 2019, 3:38 pm mike Stroud taught false doctrines, much of which were teachings of new age spiritualism. Energy healing philosophies. I’m glad that he won’t be deceiving members of the church by using his membership status.
First I need to state that I do not believe in energy healing! Now, Joseph Smith said: “I believe all that God ever revealed, and I never hear of a man being damned for believing too much; but they are damned for unbelief.” Joseph Smith.

The point here I must interject is... "WHO may be the judge of what G_d has revealed unto one man or another? NO ONE! It is between YOU and G_d! Aman!"
It’s not about believing too much. In fact i don’t see it a real problem when we hold false beliefs. It’s when we preach those false beliefs to the masses we have a problem. Joseph Smith was against apostasy.

Kingdom of ZION
captain of 1,000

e-eye2.0 wrote: February 15th, 2019, 12:53 am

It’s not about believing too much. In fact i don’t see it a real problem when we hold false beliefs. It’s when we preach those false beliefs to the masses we have a problem. Joseph Smith was against apostasy.
Ah, that is also a issue here. Trying to compare judgments handed down by a true Lord's Anointed, like Joseph Smith (when the Gospel had just been revealed, and had not yet been apostatized from), with Leaders who are no more a Lord's Anointed then any of the last 100 Popes (Leaders who are leading an idolatrous people who have now rejected large portions of that Gospel)!

The point here I must interject again is... "WHO may be the judge of what G_d has revealed unto one man or another? NO ONE! It is between YOU and G_d! Aman!" BECAUSE they (we) have No Lord's Anointed. If even 1 of the 15 were receiving visitation, that might change things. But to have not one, and then to have others outside that institution claiming to receive such. That is when real revelation is need, and personal witnesses, as to who is teaching the true doctrines of the kingdom, and have proper authority to do so...

Shalom

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

e-eye2.0 wrote: February 15th, 2019, 12:53 am

Like when LDS politicians preach socialistic ideas?

Kingdom of ZION
captain of 1,000

DesertWonderer2 wrote: February 14th, 2019, 6:55 pm Stroud's excommunication was 100% with out a doubt the right thing to do. The only thing I have a problem with is that it wasn't done sooner. That just goes to show you the great mercy that was extended to him by his heaven-lead leaders

You sit in judgment because his beliefs are different then yours. It is quite sad you cannot see the different from judging the doctrine by comparing it to the scriptures verses you judging others by comparing it to your own beliefs, which by its true nature is: "evil philosophies of men"!!!

But if were going to play that game... lets look at the 15 men you are worshiping and look at their teachings... They are teaching doctrinal interpretations, philosophies of men, policies, customs, political correctness, along with scriptures, and handing it to you for you to worship as revelation, and under pain of excommunication if you publicly, by podcast or publish written word, disagree with their opinions! Very sad!!!

Blind Guides are the most jealous kind of leaders, because the fear those who follow them. True Messengers fear no one, except the G_d whom they serve!