Deleted

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: I am now an ordinance worker in the temple

Post by Elizabeth »

:) keep up the good work.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Congratulations. I really hope that you find this to be a tremendous growing experience.

If you don't mind a few questions:
How long is the term of service?
What's the weekly time obligation?
How long was the process from telling your Bishop you are interested in working in the temple until you were called?

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

A very sacred responsibility, you are blessed!

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

brianj wrote: September 25th, 2017, 7:41 pm Congratulations. I really hope that you find this to be a tremendous growing experience.

If you don't mind a few questions:
How long is the term of service?
What's the weekly time obligation?
How long was the process from telling your Bishop you are interested in working in the temple until you were called?
When I worked in the temple it was like being called on a mission that would last 18 months. When 18 months were up, I could quit or extend indefinately if I wanted to.
The weekly time obligation in the temple I worked in was Saturday afternoon from I think about 2:00 pm to whenever the last patron left. This was probably the hardest, busiest, and most demanding shift of the week. Many people come on Saturday night to do endowment sessions, and if the last session was filled up and there were still patrons, we never turned anyone away but just kept going and going and going....... If you are young and strong, please do Saturday afternoon :)

There was an early Saturday morning shift that began I think at 5 am. The weekday shifts were a lot shorter, but the workers came twice a week.

The ordinance workers for each shift have to come about an hour before their shift actually begins for a meeting.

We were called to work in the temple, but I think it was just a matter of two weeks from the bishops' interview before we were full fledged set apart temple ordinance workers. In the temple I worked in, it took a minimum staff of 1400 temple workers to keep it going. With how so many older couples called to serve missions away from home these days, staffing these larger temples becomes an ongoing project, and might be another reason younger and younger men and women are working in the temples these days and the church can't afford to worry about the ordinance workers marital status, as you and I have talked about before.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

Good for you. It's good to do good and help people. There isn't a better way you could be helping people than this.

Sandinista
captain of 100

Post by Sandinista »

Best assignment I've ever had! I literally cried when I was released (called into a bishopric and you can't be an ordnance worker when you are in a bishopric). Never had some many special experiences and never have I learned so much. You love it.

Zowieink
captain of 100

Post by Zowieink »

I have been an ordinance worker for over 8 years. It has been the most wonderful, hard, spiritual time of my life. I now serve as a coordinator on 2 of the shifts. I think you gain an different view of the ordinances when you are giving them to others, and not just receiving them. I have had many, many spiritual experiences as I have officiated in sessions, initiatory, at the veil.

It is one of the most fulfilling callings I have ever enjoyed. As President Wilford Woodruff said: “What greater calling can any man [or woman] have on the face of the earth than to hold in his [or her] hands power and authority to go forth and administer in the ordinances of salvation? …
“… You become an instrument in the hands of God in the salvation of that soul. There is nothing given to the children of men that is equal to it.” “The sweet whisperings of the Holy Spirit will be given to [you] and the treasures of Heaven, the communion of angels, will be added from time to time.”

This I testify is true.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

passionflower wrote: September 26th, 2017, 12:16 am When I worked in the temple it was like being called on a mission that would last 18 months. When 18 months were up, I could quit or extend indefinately if I wanted to.
The weekly time obligation in the temple I worked in was Saturday afternoon from I think about 2:00 pm to whenever the last patron left. This was probably the hardest, busiest, and most demanding shift of the week. Many people come on Saturday night to do endowment sessions, and if the last session was filled up and there were still patrons, we never turned anyone away but just kept going and going and going....... If you are young and strong, please do Saturday afternoon :)

There was an early Saturday morning shift that began I think at 5 am. The weekday shifts were a lot shorter, but the workers came twice a week.

The ordinance workers for each shift have to come about an hour before their shift actually begins for a meeting.

We were called to work in the temple, but I think it was just a matter of two weeks from the bishops' interview before we were full fledged set apart temple ordinance workers. In the temple I worked in, it took a minimum staff of 1400 temple workers to keep it going. With how so many older couples called to serve missions away from home these days, staffing these larger temples becomes an ongoing project, and might be another reason younger and younger men and women are working in the temples these days and the church can't afford to worry about the ordinance workers marital status, as you and I have talked about before.
Thanks to both of you for answering.

Angel, I'm impressed the process was so fast. I moved to Utah from Washington last February. In early November my Bishop asked if he could submit my name to the temple Presidency. It wasn't until January that I received a letter from the temple presidency inviting me for an interview. By then I was aware that I would move to Utah soon, but I wish it would have been a fast process so I could have at least worked in a temple for a little while.

If they want 8+ hours every week, that's a bit more than I can commit to right now. But hopefully I will find a way before long.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Post by diligently seeking »

I'm happy for you C-angel. As you grow in your "becoming" like Christ----you will feel power in the priesthood etc in that special edifice.

Brother, my mother passed away the day I entered the mtc. I struggled considerably those first few days. I received a sweet blessing from my companion. He was very inspired and told me an expression that my mother used to say all the time amongst other wonderful things the Lord inspired him to say that day. The most memorable thing he expressed to me was that my mother was with me at that very moment. C-angel, it was so amazing --I felt my mother as the scripture states "fall upon my neck" and infuse her love and strength through out my whole being. It was amazing...

Had I not experience this-- I would not fully recognize a very powerful and similar experiance that occurred for me sitting in the witness chair in a sealing room when proxy sealing work / service was being rendered. As you move forward with your eye single to growing in Love = Jesus in and out of the temple by striving to learn and apply his character his attributes and perfections, C-angel --- be believing that these blessings can be yours as a result. :)

2 Peter 1

Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:
2 Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,
3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.
10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

"Hope is believing, faith is asking, knowledge is receiving, and priesthood is becoming."

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

CelestialAngel wrote: September 26th, 2017, 8:45 pm My shifts are Wednesdays 130 to 6pm . I was set apart by the temple president today.
Congratulations. It is truly an honor to be able to serve in the House of the Lord.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Please do me a favor. Take note of what you see and let me know if I would be able to show up with a few names and see people baptized on behalf of those ancestors.

It will be a challenge because I work at Thanksgiving Point, get off at 5, and need to go home to change before heading to the temple. But if I can show up with names, one of these Wednesdays I will try to get out early so I can be there before six.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

CelestialAngel wrote: September 27th, 2017, 7:55 pm
brianj wrote: September 27th, 2017, 7:31 pm Please do me a favor. Take note of what you see and let me know if I would be able to show up with a few names and see people baptized on behalf of those ancestors.

It will be a challenge because I work at Thanksgiving Point, get off at 5, and need to go home to change before heading to the temple. But if I can show up with names, one of these Wednesdays I will try to get out early so I can be there before six.
If you sit in the pews and wait for the names to be done and recorded you don't have to actually do the baptisms or confirmations, but you have to be present in the pews until the names are done and recorded.
I would want to participate, but I would prefer to not get into the water. Four priesthood holders are required for a baptism, not including the proxy, so there is work to be done.

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

CelestialAngel wrote: September 27th, 2017, 10:45 am Ok actually after talking to the other workers they told me not to call myself an ordinance worker, but just a Baptistry worker. But I will work hard in the baptistry. And what the heck I'll let you all know my location. I'll be in the Provo City Center Temple Baptistry from 1:30PM to 6PM on Wednesdays starting next Wednesday so if you want to come find me and do a baptism or confirmation session stop on by. It was special being set apart by the Temple President but it will give me less time to post on this board.
Cool! I was in Provo last week for work. That's a beautiful temple!

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

CelestialAngel wrote: September 27th, 2017, 12:09 pm I actually want to meet some of you temple worthy members sometime so if you come to the temple baptistry between 130 and 6PM at the Provo City Center temple on Wednesdays starting next week look for a somewhat chubby young looking guy without a white coat with a nametag that says Brendan for the first name. I would love to meet some of you Utah County posters who go to do baptisms and confirmations.
It's been five months, Brendan. How are you enjoying working in the temple? Are you still working in the baptistry on Wednesday afternoons?

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

CelestialAngel wrote: March 4th, 2018, 7:28 pm It's been five months, Brendan. How are you enjoying working in the temple? Are you still working in the baptistry on Wednesday afternoons?
No, my church calling and work schedule have caused me to resign my position as a temple worker. It was sad but I was happy to serve while I could.
[/quote]

I'm sorry to hear this. I am taking today off work and was going to drop by to meet you and have two baptisms performed.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

CelestialAngel wrote: September 27th, 2017, 12:09 pm I actually want to meet some of you temple worthy members sometime so if you come to the temple baptistry between 130 and 6PM at the Provo City Center temple on Wednesdays starting next week look for a somewhat chubby young looking guy without a white coat with a nametag that says Brendan for the first name. I would love to meet some of you Utah County posters who go to do baptisms and confirmations.
Just send me the plane tickets and I'll be there.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

Robin Hood wrote: March 8th, 2018, 9:18 am
Just send me the plane tickets and I'll be there.

He already quit. You're out of luck bloke. :lol: