Colin Powell Warns "Coming Crisis We Don’t Even Know About"

Discuss political news items / current events.
Captain Moroni
captain of 1,000

Re: Colin Powell Warns "Coming Crisis We Don’t Even Know About"

Post by Captain Moroni »

Shadow, what is your understanding of the "dead prophets" argument? Maybe we have a different understand of this doctrine and what its limits? What fixed standards do we follow that JS revealed which are beyond changing?

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Cap, where did Spence say anything about dead prophets?
I know what the dead prophets argument is and I didn't see anything from Spence that suggested it. I believe you said (I'm paraphrasing)we need E.T. Benson, Spence said we have Thomas S. Monson.

Captain Moroni
captain of 1,000

Post by Captain Moroni »

Shadow, let's please hera you understanding of the dead prophet theory and let Spence amplify on what he actually meant in more depth. Sure I could be putting words in his mouth whci IF I did I will apologize

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

Maybe Spence had this in mind...
President Wilford Woodruff tells of an interesting incident that occurred in the days of the Prophet Joseph Smith:

I will refer to a certain meeting I attended in the town of Kirtiand in my early days. At that meeting some remarks were made that have been made here today, with regard to the living oracles and with regard to the written word of God. The same principle was presented, although not as extensively as it has been here, when a leading man in the Church got up and talked upon the subject, and said: "You have got the word of God before you here in the Bible, Book of Mormon, and Doctrine and Covenants; you have the written word of God, and you who give revelations should give revelations according to those books, as what is written in those books is the word of God. We should confine ourselves to them."

When he concluded, Brother Joseph turned to Brother Brigham Young and said, "Brother Brigham, I want you to take the stand and tell us your views with regard to the living oracles and the written word of God." Brother Brigham took the stand, and he took the Bible, and laid it down; he took the Book of Mormon, and laid it down; and he took the Book of Doctrine and Covenants, and laid it down before him, and he said: "There is the written word of God to us, concerning the work of God from the beginning of the world, almost, to our day. And now," said he, "when compared with the living oracles those books are nothing to me; those books do not convey the word of God direct to us now, as do the words of a Prophet or a man bearing the Holy Priesthood in our day and generation. I would rather have the living oracles than all the writing in the books." That was the course he pursued. When he was through, Brother Joseph said to the congregation: "Brother Brigham has told you the word of the Lord, and he has told you the truth." [in Conference Report, October 1897, pp. 18-19)

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

My understanding of the dead prophet argument is simply that once the prophet dies so do his words. His teachings are not current and thus could be false or just not applicable anymore.
I suppose on the flip side you could have people that suggest that the words of gone prophets are more valuable than what the current prophet has to say (maybe a living prophet argument). Some might even desire a long gone prophet replace a current prophet.
Both cases are false in nature as a prophets role is to speak for God to the world. Maybe some just don't like what God said in previous yrs (dead prophet argument) OR they don't like what God has to say now (Living prophet argument).

Captain Moroni
captain of 1,000

Post by Captain Moroni »

Shadow, an excellent and fair description. I think the criteria to bring balance is that the words of TSM must be tested against cannonized scripture, that which has been sustained by the GAs unananmioulsy and sustained by the Church membership. IF there is to be a change in JS revelations in the D+C , for instance, then that change needs to go through the cannonizing process. That way there is 100% agreement that the words of TSM changes in doctrine are binding upon the membership,

Now I'm not saying that TSM has changed doctrine just how to reconciliate the dead prophets and live prophets issue.

Proud 2b Peculiar
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Proud 2b Peculiar »

I don't see any prophets as dead prophets because their words still are here for our use, and second of all, we have the las day prophecies because of them.

I would take the word of my prophet for me (the church) today over any other prophets words, but I find that there are many witnesses to the same messages and that they have been given for generations.

They all seem to blend into one for me really.

Captain Moroni
captain of 1,000

Post by Captain Moroni »

Proud, even over the words of JS?

Proud 2b Peculiar
Level 34 Illuminated

If there is something that Joseph Smith said that you are specifically referring to, please let me know.

I have not seen anything that contradicts the scriptures or previous prophets teachings come from any prophets of the Latter-days. I am saying that the gospel is one to me. There are patterns that repeat, and I am thankful to have as much as we do, because it helps us to realize that these things have been taught to us a long time, and maybe we just didn't hear it or see it when we read it.

That is why I was surprised about the Mark of the Beast not being found anywhere but in Revelation using that phrase. Everything else I have ever studied has had evidence in other scriptures, and through the prophets since Joseph Smith jr. as well.

Captain Moroni
captain of 1,000

Post by Captain Moroni »

Proud, I didn't claim that anyone has contradicted JS. I was asking what would happen if someone did.

I posted on another thread an answer to your question about the Beast. This revelation was reserved ONLY to be given by John the Beloved. Search the scriptures and you will see this in the BofM. That's your answer. Also, during your serach, see what role that John the Beloved plays in the last days events. Hint: found in D+C 77.

Proud 2b Peculiar
Level 34 Illuminated

I know it was reserved for John. I am saying something else, but I don't think I can make myself clear enough.

It is the 2-3 witnesses thing.

Captain Moroni
captain of 1,000

Post by Captain Moroni »

Proud the two witnesses who stand and testify of Jesus are killed and arise three days later. Somehere I remember reading that these witnessses are from the Tribe of Judah. If so, they are likley to among the 144,000 thousand called at AOA to serve in the Judgement period. Remeber 12,000 from each tribe EXCEPT Dan.

Proud 2b Peculiar
Level 34 Illuminated

No that is not what I mean either. I mean that in the mouth of two to three witnesses will all be established. The LAW of witnesses is what I am referring to. That is why I find it unusual that the phrase mark of the beast cannot be found anywhere else.

And yes I understand that John was to discuss some end time things. It is just the first time that there was not another witness in other scripture that I have come across.

Captain Moroni
captain of 1,000

Post by Captain Moroni »

Proud, you have the witness of jesus Himself in the BofM. It is HE who said that Joihn would write some prophecies that were left totally in his hands. I think that Jesus is the ultimate witness. :wink:

Proud 2b Peculiar
Level 34 Illuminated

Did Jesus say there would be a mark of the beast?

I was thinking that either we are Christ's and know him and carry upon us his name in our hearts, or we are not. And if we are not, then we have taken on the mark of the beast so to speak.

I will see if I can find more in Joseph Smith's translation of the Book of Revelation I guess.

Captain Moroni
captain of 1,000

Post by Captain Moroni »

Proud, when Jesus delegates authority to His prophets, what they say is what HE would say.

Proud 2b Peculiar
Level 34 Illuminated

Yes, but that is not the point. Even Christ had 2 witnesses, Heavenly Father and the Holy Ghost.

I am talking about other references that use the same phraseology.

caddis
captain of 1,000

Post by caddis »

Jan. 21 & 22 coming up quickly. We will find out shortly if Mr. Powell meant anything by his statement or not.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

I think the crisis will be Obama taking office.

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

Whether the "crisis" is real or generated, bad things are gonna happen and our freedoms will slip even more. (I just dread the thought of martial law.) I just hope we can get past winter before it all hits the fan. I haven't got a wood stove set up yet.

believer
captain of 1,000

Post by believer »

If Colin Powell & Joe Biden are both making this ANNOUNCEMENTS, My question is: What do they know that the SC have dreamed up for us. This isn't all just a guessing game for the SC. Joe Biden was the chairman of the CFR before he became the VP candidate. Powell is up there too. So, they are both in the know.

believer
captain of 1,000

Post by believer »

Well, Colin Powell predicts something happening on Jan. 21st, or 22nd. Those days are upon us. Any idea what's going to happen in the next 2 days.

We shall see.

ndjili
captain of 100

Post by ndjili »

I thought I saw something about the prime minister of Canada saying the same thing?????

caddis
captain of 1,000

Post by caddis »

believer wrote:Well, Colin Powell predicts something happening on Jan. 21st, or 22nd. Those days are upon us. Any idea what's going to happen in the next 2 days.

We shall see.

Stock market crashes even more. :?: Kalifornia goes bankrupt :?:

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

caddis wrote:
believer wrote:Well, Colin Powell predicts something happening on Jan. 21st, or 22nd. Those days are upon us. Any idea what's going to happen in the next 2 days.

We shall see.

Stock market crashes even more. :?: Kalifornia goes bankrupt :?:
caddis... 'K'alifornia?

Here's my question... if a crisis was going to be generated, why wouldn't it have been during the interim period when we had a president-elect and a president? Seems that this would have been the ideal time to test Washington.