"the Spirit bore testimony that there would be a great work done in London." Satan, it seems, was also aware of this...

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

"the Spirit bore testimony that there would be a great work done in London." Satan, it seems, was also aware of this...

Post by kirtland r.m. »

A reminder of who and what we face.
Heber C. Kimball – vision of the devils

“…a vision was opened to our minds, and we could distinctly see the evil spirits, who foamed and gnashed their teeth at us. We gazed upon them about an hour and a half. . . . We were not looking towards the window, but towards the wall. Space appeared before us, and we saw the devils coming in legions, with their leaders, who came within a few feet of us.

“They came towards us like armies rushing to battle. They appeared to be men of full stature, possessing every form of feature of men in the flesh, who were angry and desperate; and I shall never forget the vindictive malignity depicted on their countenances as they looked me in the eye; and any attempt to paint the scene which then presented itself, or portray their malice and enmity, would be vain.

“I perspired exceedingly, my clothes becoming as wet as if I had been taken out of the river. I felt excessive pain, and was in the greatest distress for some time. I cannot even look back on the scene without feelings of horror; yet by it I learned the power of the adversary, his enmity against the servants of God, and got some understanding of the invisible world.

“We distinctly heard those spirits talk and express their wrath and hellish designs against us. However, the Lord delivered us from them and blessed us exceedingly that day.” [Orson F. Whitney, Life of Heber C. Kimball (Salt Lake City: Juvenile Instructor Office, 1888), p. 143–145]

Wilford Woodruff is Attacked by and
then Rebukes the Devil in England

Orson F. Whitney (Biographer of Heber C. Kimball)

The two Apostles [Heber C. Kimball and Brigham Young] set out upon their journey on the 25th of November, 1840....

They found Brother Woodruff "well and in good spirits," but with a tale to tell of his experience since he saw them last, "whose lightest word" was well calculated to "harrow up the soul."

It will be remembered that Heber C. Kimball and his conferees, who opened the British Mission in 1837, had a terrible encounter with evil spirits on the day of the first baptisms in Preston. A similar ordeal had been experienced by Apostle Woodruff on the night of the first Sabbath after his return from Manchester.

He and Elder Smith had held a sacrament meeting that day at Father Corner's, with a few Saints who had gathered there, during which "the Spirit bore testimony that there would be a great work done in London."

Satan, it seems, was also aware of this fact, and it displeased him mightily.

That night, while lying in his bed, meditating upon the mission in that city and determining to warn its inhabitants, and "overcome the powers of darkness," a personage appeared to the Apostle Wilford whom he took to be the "Prince of darkness." "He made war with me," says the Apostle, "and attempted to take my life. As he was about to overcome me I prayed to the Father in the name of Jesus Christ for help. I then had power over him, and he left me, though much wounded. Afterwards three persons, dressed in white, came to me and administered to me, when I was immediately healed and delivered of all my troubles."

Such, in brief, was the thrilling tale told by Apostle Woodruff to his fellow servants in Christ, on their arrival in the British capital. (Orson F. Whitney, Life of Heber C. Kimball, p.297)

[Wilford Woodruff describes another instance as follows:]

Brother Kimball, Brother George A. Smith and myself had a similar experience in London, at a house where we were stopping. It seemed as if there were legions of spirits there. They sought our destruction; and on one occasion, after Brother Kimball had left, these powers of darkness fell upon us to destroy our lives, and both Brother Smith and myself would have been killed, apparently, had not three holy messengers come into the room and filled the room with light. They were dressed in temple clothing. They laid their hands upon our heads and we were delivered, and that power was broken, so far as we were concerned. Why did the Lord send these men to us? Because we could not have lived without it; and, as a general thing, angels do not administer to anybody on the earth unless it is to preserve the lives of good men, or to bring the Gospel, or perform a work that men cannot do for themselves.... Lucifer may appear to man in the capacity of an angel of light; but there is no deception with the Holy Ghost. We do not particularly need the administration of angels unless we are in a condition similar to that in which Brother Kimball, Brother Smith and myself were placed, when we could not save our lives without them. (Collected Discourses, edited by Brian H. Stuy, 5 vols. (Burbank, California, and Woodland Hills, Utah: B. H. S. Publishing, 1987-92), 1:218)

And "you know who", is not pleased about Temple Work as well. Satan and the Logan Temple President.

Temple President Merrill encounters the Devil, who threatens to stop the temple work from being done.

(Excerpt from "Logan Temple: The First 100 Years)

Logan Temple President Marriner W. Merrill was sitting in his office one morning in the early 1890's when he heard a commotion outside. Stepping to the window, he saw a great congregation of people coming up the temple hill, some on foot, and others on horseback and in carriages. President Merrill's first thought was, "What will we do with so many people? If we fill every room in the temple, it will not begin to hold them all."

The riders tied their horses up at the hitching posts or turned them loose on the temple corrals, and walked complacently about the front grounds, without seeming to have much purpose in mind. They were rather an odd looking group, and were dressed quite shabbily.

They made no effort to enter the temple, so President Merrill went out to greet them and see what he could do for the group. He said to their leader: "Who are you, and who are these people who have taken possession of the temple grounds unannounced?"

He answered: "I am Satan, and these are my people." Brother Merrill asked: "What do you want, and why have you come here?" Satan replied: "I don't like what is being done in the Logan Temple and have come to stop it." That was a bit of a shock to President Merrill, and he answered: "No, we will not stop it. This is the work of the Lord and must go on. You know that you or any one else can not stop the work of the Lord."

"If you refuse to stop it, I will tell you what I propose to do," the adversary said. "I will scatter this congregation of people throughout these valleys, and we will keep people from coming to the temple. We will whisper in their ears and discourage them from attending the temple. This will stop your temple work."

President Merrill then used the power of his priesthood and commanded Satan and his followers to depart from holy ground. He said that within four or five minutes there was not a person, horse or buggy in sight. They just disappeared into thin air and were gone.

Then for the next ten or twelve years we could have closed the Logan Temple, for very little work was accomplished. In one full year, the number of endowments done totaled only 5,121, while in our day we have done, 3,064 in one day. Where all ordinances for the year equaled but 20,110, today we have done 15,456 in one day, and a total of 1,808,265 for the full year.

Christian L. Olsen lived only a half mile from the temple, and he said any time he said out loud that he was going to the temple, something happened to keep him away. One evening he said to the boys: "Tomorrow we will finish grinding out molasses, and then I'd like to spend a week in the temple." The mill was operating perfectly that evening, but the next morning the main wheel was broken. The more they repaired the machine, the more things broke and went wrong with it. He finally spent the full week making repairs so the only day's grind of molasses could be completed. He did not get to spend the week in the temple.

Another time when he planned a day in the temple, he got up to milk his cows and the corral gate was open. He spent the day hunting the cows in the west fields. Still another time, the corral gate was open again and the horses were gone. It took two days to find them in Logan Canyon. He said: "Anytime I wanted to go to the temple, I soon learned that I could not say it out loud. I got up, milked my cows, set the bucket down and ran. And then I could get there without any trouble."

Eight girls left Garland in a white top buggy one morning at 4am, to do baptisms in the temple. Just as they arrived on the west mountain where they could see the temple, a wheel came off the buggy. Before they reached Logan, they had had trouble with all four wheels, a hame strap had broken, the yoke came apart, and there was one delay after another every few minutes. They finally reached Logan at 5pm, after the baptisms were done and the font had been emptied. Some of the men were still there, the font was refilled, and the girls were baptized. They said that Satan followed them all the way to Logan that day.

The evil one's power and influence are real. He knows the value of temple work and would do anything in his power to keep people away. But he failed to recognize the faithfulness and devotion of the Saints in this area, for they were not easily discouraged.

Supporting Statements
Rudger Clawson

On one occasion I heard the late Apostle Marriner W. Merrill, President of the Logan Temple, relate this extraordinary incident:

He was sitting in his office one morning, he said, when he noticed from the window a company of people coming up the hill to the Temple. As they entered the Temple grounds they presented rather a strange appearance, not only in dress but in their mode of travel. Some were riding on horses, others were in conveyances, and still others were afoot. He wondered who they could be as he was not looking for a company of such size that particular morning. They dismounted from their horses, stepped down from their conveyances, put their animals under the shade and walked about complacently as if they had a perfect right to be there.

A little later a person unknown to Brother Merrill entered the room. Brother Merrill said to him: “Who are you and who are these people who have come up and taken possession of the Temple grounds unannounced?” He answered and said: “I am Satan and these are my people.” Brother Merrill then said: “What do you want? Why have you come here?” Satan replied: “I don’t like the work that is going on in this Temple and feel that it should be discontinued. Will you stop it?” Brother Merrill answered and said emphatically, “No, we will not stop it. The work must go on.” “Since you refuse to stop it, I will tell you what I propose to do,” the adversary said. “I will take these people, my followers, and distribute them throughout this Temple district, and will instruct them to whisper in the ears of people, persuading them not to go to the Temple, and thus bring about a cessation of your Temple work.” Satan then withdrew.

President Merrill, commenting on this strange interview with the Evil One, said that for quite a period of time the spirit of indifference to Temple work seemed to take possession of the people and very few came to the House of the Lord. The presumption was that Satan had carried out his threat which caused a temporary lull in Temple work.

It is not to be wondered at that Satan, who is the enemy of all righteousness, is displeased with Temple work. 2

References:

Joseph F. Smith, From Prophet to Son: Advice of Joseph F. Smith to His Missionary Sons, compiled by Hyrum M. Smith III and Scott G. Kenney [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1981], 70 ↩
Rudger Clawson: [Church Section, The Deseret News, Dec. 12, 1936, Vol. 344, No. 61]

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: "the Spirit bore testimony that there would be a great work done in London." Satan, it seems, was also aware of thi

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Heber C. Kimball

You have frequently heard of brother Hyde, brother Russell, and myself being afflicted with devils in England. There were legions of them came upon us and sought to destroy us: but we were not alone; our guardian angels were there to assist us, and they delivered us out of the danger, and out of the power of our enemies. Journal of Discourses, Vol.8, p.258, Heber C. Kimball, December 16, 1860

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: "the Spirit bore testimony that there would be a great work done in London." Satan, it seems, was also aware of thi

Post by Niemand »

I have read several accounts of these attacks. If such a thing happened today, it would be more than likely buried and the Mission President would not allow them to speak about it.

Zion Altman
captain of 50

Post by Zion Altman »

deleted
Last edited by Zion Altman on June 10th, 2022, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Zion Altman wrote: June 10th, 2022, 3:41 am if you want to contribute something so kindly without symbolism straight to the level

people like you know are already bothering me with poo poo instead of going straight to the point

and we had a vision, and we saw the spirit of truth

(and we had a vision and we saw the truth of the truth)

I'm completely allergic to such people

you talk about poo poo and wrap it up in symbolism

then the crazy ones will take over after you and we have the third world either behave like normal people and write normally

or you go to Russia to get such people do not have the right to write something

just like your presidents doubt that they have any knowledge of books at all

if they had, they would have revealed it
Now rewrite that in plain English please, without the eccentric formatting.

You're always complaining people don't understand something, but make little effort to be intelligible.

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

MORE FROM PRESIDENT H. C. KIMBALL'S JOURNAL

The idea of standing forth and proclaiming the gospel in a land so much extolled for religion, which was constantly sending forth her ministers to almost every nation under heaven, and among a people who, of course, did not expect to be taught, but to teach others the principles of the gospel, and the consciousness of my own weakness and unfitness for such an undertaking, led me to cry mightily to the Lord for wisdom and for that comfort and support which I so much needed. At the same time I thought that if I could have been relieved from the responsibility which rested upon me, by fighting Goliath on as unequal terms as David did, I should have felt myself happy.

However, I endeavored to put my trust in God, believing that He would assist me in publishing the truth and that He would be a present help in the time of need.

Having no means, poor and penniless we wandered in the streets of that great city, where wealth and luxury, penury and want abound. I there met the rich attired in the most costly dresses, and the next moment was saluted with the cries of the poor, who were without covering sufficient to screen them from the weather. Such a distinction I never saw before. We then looked out for a place to lodge in, and found a room belonging to a widow which we engaged for a few days.

The time we were in Liverpool was spent in council and in calling on the Lord for direction, so that we might be led to places where we should be most useful in proclaiming the gospel and in establishing and spreading His kingdom. While thus engaged, the Spirit of the Lord, the mighty power of God, was with us, and we felt greatly strengthened, and a determination to go forward, come life or death, honor or reproach, was manifested by us all. Our trust was in God, who we believed could make us as useful in bringing down the kingdom of Satan as He did the rams' horns, in bringing down the walls of Jericho and in gathering out a number of precious souls who were buried amidst the rubbish of tradition, and who had none to show them the way of truth.

Feeling led by the Spirit of the Lord to go to Preston, a large manufacturing town in Lancashire, we started for that place three days after our arrival in Liverpool. We went by coach and arrived on Saturday afternoon about four o'clock. After unloading our trunks, Brother Goodson went in search of a place of lodging, and Brother Fielding went to seek a brother of his, who was a minister, residing in that place.

It being the day on which their representatives were chosen, the streets presented a very busy scene; indeed I never witnessed anything like it before in my life.

On one of the flags, which was just enrolled before us the moment the coach reached its destination, was the following motto: "TRUTH WILL PREVAIL," which was painted in large, gilt letters. It being so very seasonable and the sentiment being so appropriate to us in our situation, we were involuntarily led to exclaim, "Amen! So let it be."

Brother Goodson having found a room where we could be accommodated, which belonged to a widow woman, situated in Wilford Street, we moved our baggage there. Shortly after, Brother. Fielding returned, having found his brother, who requested to have an interview with some of us that evening. Accordingly, Elders Hyde, Goodson and I went and were kindly received by him and Mr. Watson, his brother-in-law, who was present at the time.

We gave them a short account of the object of our mission and the great work which the Lord had commenced, and conversed upon those subjects until a late hour. The next morning we were presented with half a crown, which Mr. Fielding's sister had sent us.

It being Sunday, we went to hear Mr. Fielding preach. After he had finished his discourse, and without being requested by us, he gave out an appointment for some one of us to preach in the afternoon.

It being noised abroad that some Elders from America were in town and were going to preach in the afternoon, a large concourse of people assembled to hear us. It falling to my lot to speak, I called their attention to the first principles of the gospel, and told them something of the nature of the work which the Lord had commenced on the earth. Brother Hyde afterwards bore testimony to the same, which I believe was received by many with whom I afterwards conversed.

Another appointment was given out for us in the evening, at which time Brother Goodson preached and Brother Fielding bore testimony. An appointment was then made for us on Wednesday evening at the same place, at which time Elder Hyde preached. A number now being convinced of the truth, believed the testimony and began to praise God and rejoice exceedingly that the Lord had again visited His people, and sent His servants to lay before them the doctrine of the gospel "and the truth as it is in Jesus."

The Rev. Mr. Fielding, who had kindly invited us to preach in his chapel, knowing that quite a number of his members believed our testimony and that some were wishful to be baptized, shut his doors against us and would suffer us to preach no more in his chapel. For an excuse, he said that we had preached the doctrine of baptism for the remission of sins, contrary to our arrangement with him.

I need scarcely assure my friends that nothing was said to him from which any inference could be drawn that we should suppress the doctrine of baptism. No! We deemed it too important a doctrine to lay aside for any privilege we could receive from mortals. Mr. Fielding understood our doctrines even before we came there, having received several communications from his brother Joseph, who wrote to him from Canada, explaining the doctrines of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We likewise had conversed with him on the subject at our former interview. However, he having been traditioned to believe in infant baptism, and having preached and practiced the same a number of years, he saw the situation he would be placed in if he obeyed the gospel. Notwithstanding his talents and standing in society, he would have to come into the sheepfold by the door; and after all his preaching to others, have to be baptized himself for the remission of sins by those who were ordained to that power.

These considerations undoubtedly had their weight upon his mind, and caused him to act as he did, and notwithstanding his former kindness he soon became one of our most violent opposers.

An observation which escaped his lips shortly after this circumstance, I shall here mention. Speaking one day respecting the three first sermons which were preached in that place, he said that "Kimball bored the holes, Goodson drove the nails and Hyde clinched them."

However, his congregation did not follow his example; they had for some time been praying for our coming, and had been assured by Mr. Fielding that he could not place more confidence in an angel than he did in the statements of his brother respecting this people. Consequently, they were in a great measure prepared for the reception of the gospel, probably as much so as Cornelius was anciently.

Having now no public place to preach in, we began to preach in private houses, which were opened in every direction, while numbers believed the gospel. After we had been in that place eight days, we began to baptize in the name of the Lord Jesus for the remission of sins. One "reverend" gentleman came and forbid us baptizing any of his members; but we told him that all who were of age and requested baptism we should undoubtedly administer that ordinance to.

One Saturday evening I was appointed by the brethren to baptize a number the next morning in the river Ribble, which runs through that place. By this time, the adversary of souls began to rage, and he felt a determination to destroy us before we had fully established the gospel in that land; and the next morning I witnessed such a scene of satanic power and influence as I shall never forget while memory lasts.

About day-break, Brother Russell (who was appointed to preach in the market-place that day), who slept in the second story of the house in which we were entertained, came up to the room where Elder Hyde and I were sleeping and called upon us to arise and pray for him, for he was so afflicted with evil spirits that he could not live long unless he should obtain relief.

We immediately arose, laid hands upon him and prayed that the Lord would have mercy on His servant and rebuke the devil. While thus engaged, I was struck with great force by some invisible power and fell senseless on the floor as if I had been shot, and the first thing that I recollected was, that I was supported by Brothers Hyde and Russell, who were beseeching a throne of grace in my behalf. They then laid me on the bed, but my agony was so great that I could not endure, and I was obliged to get out, and fell on my knees and began to pray. I then sat on the bed and could distinctly see the evil spirits, who foamed and gnashed their teeth upon us. We gazed upon them about an hour and a half, and I shall never forget the horror and malignity depicted on the countenances of these foul spirits, and any attempt to paint the scene which then presented itself, or portray the malice and enmity depicted in their countenances would be vain.

I perspired exceedingly, and my clothes were as wet as if I had been taken out of the river. I felt exquisite pain, and was in the greatest distress for some time. However, I learned by it the power of the adversary, his enmity against the servants of God and got some understanding of the invisible world.

The Lord delivered us from the wrath of our spiritual enemies and blessed us exceedingly that day, and I had the pleasure (notwithstanding my weakness of body from the shock I had experienced) of baptizing nine individuals and hailing them brethren in the kingdom of God.

A circumstance took place while at the water side which I cannot refrain from mentioning, which will show the eagerness and anxiety of some in that land to obey the gospel. Two of the candidates who were changing their clothes and preparing for baptism at the distance of several rods from the place where I was standing in the water, were so anxious to obey the gospel, that they ran with all their might to the water, each wishing to be baptized first. The younger, being quicker on foot than the elder, out-ran him, and came first into the water. The circumstance reminded me of Peter and another disciple, who went to see the sepulchre where the Savior was laid: their anxiety was so great to find out whether He was yet there or not, that they had a race for it.

The ceremony of baptizing being somewhat novel, a large concourse of people assembled on the banks of the river to witness the ceremony.

In the afternoon, Elder Russell preached in the market-place, standing on a pedestal, to a very large congregation, numbers of whom were pricked to the heart.

Thus the work of the Lord commenced in that land (notwithstanding the rage of the adversary and his attempt to destroy us)—a work which shall roll forth, not only in that land but upon all the face of the earth, even "in lands and isles unknown."

The next morning we held a council, at which Elders Goodson and Richards were appointed to go to the city of Bedford, there being a good prospect, from the information received, of a Church being built up in that city. Elders Russell and Snider were appointed to go to Alston, in Cumberland, near the borders of Scotland, and Elders Hyde, Fielding and the writer were to remain in Preston and the regions round about.

The next day, the brethren took their departure for the different fields of labor assigned them.

Brothers Hyde, Fielding and I continued lifting up our voices in private houses, at the corners of the streets, in the market-place and wherever the Lord opened a door. The following Sabbath, Elder Hyde preached in the market-place to a numerous assemblage, both rich and poor, who flocked from all parts to hear "what these babblers had to say," hearing that we were "setters forth of strange doctrines." After Brother Hyde had got through, I gave an exhortation, and when I had concluded, a minister stepped forward to oppose us on the doctrines we advanced, but more particularly on the doctrine of baptism, he being a great stickler for infant baptism.

The people, thinking he intended to offend us, would not let him proceed, but seemed determined to put him down, and undoubtedly would have done so had not Brother Hyde interposed and begged permission for the gentleman to speak, telling the congregation that he was prepared to meet any arguments he might advance. This appeased the people, who listened to the remarks of the reverend gentleman; after which Brother Hyde spoke in answer to the objections which had been offered, to the satisfaction of nearly all present.

The minister felt somewhat ashamed. One individual came up to him and asked him what he now thought of his "baby baptism," while another came, took him by the hand and led him out of the throng. Indeed, all those who arose up to oppose the doctrines we taught were confounded, and could not with any success combat the truths we preached.https://www.gutenberg.org/files/47519/4 ... #CHAPTERII

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Elder Hyde's supplemental description of that fearful scene is as follows, taken from a letter addressed to President Kimball:
Every circumstance that occurred at that scene of devils is just as fresh in my recollection at this moment as it was at the moment of its occurrence, and will ever remain so. After you were overcome by them and had fallen, their awful rush upon me with knives, threats, imprecations, and hellish grins, amply convinced me that they were no friends of mine. While you were apparently senseless and lifeless on the floor and upon the bed (after we had laid you there), I stood between you and the devils and fought them and contended with them face to face, until they began to diminish in number and to retreat from the room. The last imp that left turned round to me as he was going out and said, as if to apologize, and appease my determined opposition to them, "I never said anything against you!" I replied to him thus: "It matters not to me whether you have or have not; you are a liar from the beginning! In the name of Jesus Christ, depart!" He immediately left, and the room was clear. That closed the scene of devils for that time.

Years later, narrating the experience of that awful morning to the Prophet Joseph, Heber asked him what it all meant, and whether there was anything wrong with him that he should have such a manifestation.

"No, Brother Heber," he replied, "at that time you were nigh unto the Lord; there was only a veil between you and him, but you could not see him. When I heard of it, it gave me great joy, for I then knew that the word of God had taken root in that land. It was this that caused the devil to make a struggle to kill you."

Joseph then related some of his own experiences, in many contests he had had with the evil one, and said: "The nearer a person approaches the Lord, the greater power will be manifested by the adversary to prevent the accomplishment of His purposes."

(Orson F. Whitney, _Life of Heber C. Kimball_, pp. 143-6)

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

Niemand wrote: June 10th, 2022, 3:35 am I have read several accounts of these attacks. If such a thing happened today, it would be more than likely buried and the Mission President would not allow them to speak about it.
I was unable to rest peacefully one night . . on my mission. I am a deep sleeper but this night I slept rather light. Just after midnight my mission president called. He said that he had a hard time sleeping and was troubled. The only name that came ot his mind was mine. 200 missionaries and he was hearing my name. He asked if he should the zone leaders to my home.

I told him that I had been unable to sleep as well and felt a bad spirit or spirits. I suggested that the pray one more time for me and I would pray as well. then if he still feels the spirit of worry then send the zone leaders and call me back that they are on their way.

I prayed and my companion said that it was her fault that a bad spirit was there. She never related why she thought it was her and I didn't question it.

My patriarchal blessing says I have a guardian angel and if I am faithful then I need to fear no man nor evil as the Lord will be my defender, friend, and eternal father.

Mission presidents are good men and in tune with the spirit as my experience has taught me. I have other similar stories which show the faith of mission presidents.

I am humbled by these posts.

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

This brings to mind another story.

While in college I attended a sunday fireside for young adults. My friend was there who had asthma for her whole life.

Her mother had become frustrated and took my friend off of her asthma medication to try herbs and natural remedies. My friend told me that very sunday night that she had been so sick and had satan constantly attacking her making her more sick. I can't remember her words but she was pretty frightened and felt that he was attacking her and would stop if she went back on the other medicine.

She left early that night to go home. The next morning she died was found dead. I always thought that it was a strange discussion but these stories make me believe that this can happen. Satan can attack us at important times.

btw she NEVER messed with spirits like ouija or anything. She was a moral and good person.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

EvanLM wrote: July 29th, 2022, 4:22 pm
Niemand wrote: June 10th, 2022, 3:35 am I have read several accounts of these attacks. If such a thing happened today, it would be more than likely buried and the Mission President would not allow them to speak about it.
I was unable to rest peacefully one night . . on my mission. I am a deep sleeper but this night I slept rather light. Just after midnight my mission president called. He said that he had a hard time sleeping and was troubled. The only name that came ot his mind was mine. 200 missionaries and he was hearing my name. He asked if he should the zone leaders to my home.

I told him that I had been unable to sleep as well and felt a bad spirit or spirits. I suggested that the pray one more time for me and I would pray as well. then if he still feels the spirit of worry then send the zone leaders and call me back that they are on their way.

I prayed and my companion said that it was her fault that a bad spirit was there. She never related why she thought it was her and I didn't question it.

My patriarchal blessing says I have a guardian angel and if I am faithful then I need to fear no man nor evil as the Lord will be my defender, friend, and eternal father.

Mission presidents are good men and in tune with the spirit as my experience has taught me. I have other similar stories which show the faith of mission presidents.

If you do feel a bad presence around you at night, cast it out and do in the name of Jesus Christ. You have the authority to do so.

Dave62
destroyer of hopes & dreams

Post by Dave62 »

Niemand wrote: July 31st, 2022, 4:28 pm

If you do feel a bad presence around you at night, cast it out and do in the name of Jesus Christ. You have the authority to do so.
Thank you for posting this, niemand, we do not teach this enough to our young people.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Dave62 wrote: July 31st, 2022, 8:20 pm
Niemand wrote: July 31st, 2022, 4:28 pm

Thank you for posting this, niemand, we do not teach this enough to our young people.
No problem. It may seem obvious, but I don't hear it being taught. I do notice that some people do it when they originally bless their houses (which is right).

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I also suggest forum members do this to some of our chapels.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

kirtland r.m. wrote: June 9th, 2022, 9:38 pm Heber C. Kimball

You have frequently heard of brother Hyde, brother Russell, and myself being afflicted with devils in England. There were legions of them came upon us and sought to destroy us: but we were not alone; our guardian angels were there to assist us, and they delivered us out of the danger, and out of the power of our enemies. Journal of Discourses, Vol.8, p.258, Heber C. Kimball, December 16, 1860
I went to see the house where this happened a few days ago.

Scrolling up, I noticed that you also posted about it on the day I was there. How funny.

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Elder Heber C. Kimball’s wife bears record of another account. Members of the Quorum of the Twelve were called to serve a mission in England. However, Elder Kimball was in a dire condition: A short time previous to my husband’s starting…he was prostrated on his bed from a stitch in his back, which suddenly seized him while chopping and drawing wood for his family, so that he could not stir a limb without exclaiming, from the severeness of the pain. Joseph Smith hearing of it came to see him, bringing Oliver Cowdrey and Bishop Partridge with him. They prayed for and blessed him, Joseph being mouth, beseeching God to raise him up, &c. He then took him by the right hand and said, “Brother Heber, I take you by your right hand, in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, and by virtue of the holy priesthood vested in me, I command you, in the name of Jesus Christ, to rise, and be thou made whole.” He arose from his bed, put on his clothes, and started with them, and went up to the temple, and felt no more the pain afterwards. Karl Ricks Anderson, Joseph Smith’s Kirtland Eyewitness Accounts (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Company, 1996), 82.

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

I have read that during the Nauvoo era, you could walk down it's streets and hear more people speaking with a British accent than not. Is it any wonder Satan pulled out all of stops in trying to discourage the early Apostles from their assigned missionary work in Great Brittan?

Elder Woodruff and George A. Smith were lying down to go to sleep. They felt the presence of a “legion of devils” entering into the room in order to stop them from their work.

I began to pray the best that I could in the midst of this struggle and asked the Father in the name of Jesus Christ to spare our lives. While thus praying, three personages entered the room clothed in white and encircled with light. They walked to our bedside, laid hands upon our heads and we were instantly delivered; and from that time forth we were no more troubled with evil spirits while in the city of London. As soon as they administered unto us, they withdrew from the room, the lights withdrew with them and darkness returned.
Wilford Woodruff, Leaves From My Journal by Wilford Woodruff (Grantsville: Archive Publishers, 1881), 152.

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Yet more on the Apostles vital mission to England.

On another occasion, the Twelve Apostles were on their way to their missions in England. Their trip would have halted, or at least been considerably longer had they not been under divine providence:

Elders Young and Kimball were joined en route by George A. Smith. As they traveled Brigham reached into his trunk and always found just enough money for the next stage coach fare. He thought Heber was replenishing the fund, but later discovered that he had not. The brethren had started their trip with $13.50 in donations, yet they spent more than $87 on coach fares. They had no idea how the additional money had gotten into the trunk “except by some unseen agent from the Heavenly world to forward the promulgation of the Gospel.”34

At least one of the reasons for this miracle is evident in Wilford Woodruff’s experience.

Wilford was inspired to go further south to Herefordshire, accompanied by one of his converts, William Benbow. They contacted William’s brother and sister-in-law, Jon and Jane Benbow and a group of six hundred people who had formed their own religious society called the United Brethren. Eventually the leader of the group, Thomas Kington, and all but one of the six hundred accepted the restored gospel and were baptized. Hundreds of others in the vicinity also joined the Church.35https://www.fairlatterdaysaints.org/arc ... istory#en6

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Evil pre earthly spirits who followed Saten, retain the features they were spiritually created with. Although this is not the end of the story. Thier viscousness, hatred, and determination to do all they could to stop the Apostles vital mission to Great Britton was clearly told church wide to the saints, with a witness from all those church leaders present of the events in Preston England. They would continue to fill in some details.

Years later (1856) Heber told a congregation in the Salt Lake Tabernacle, “I saw their hands, their eyes, and every feature of their faces, the hair on their heads, and their ears, in short they had full formed bodies.“ (Journal of Discourses Vol. 3 mar 2, 1856, p. 229)

Heber’s account continued: “We gazed upon them about an hour and a half (by Willard’s watch). We were not looking towards the window, but towards the wall. Space appeared before us, and we saw the devils coming in legions, with their leaders, who came within a few feet of us. They came towards us like armies rushing to battle They appeared to be men of full stature, possessing every form and feature of men in the flesh, who were angry and desperate; and I (Kimball) shall never forget the vindictive malignity depicted on their countenances as they looked me in the eye; and any attempt to paint the scene which then presented itself, or portray their malice and enmity, would be vain. I perspired exceedingly, my clothes becoming as wet as if I had been taken out of the river. I felt excessive pain, and was in the greatest distress for sometime.” (Whitney p. 130-131)

They [the demons] however kept their distances, but turned their heads toward Bro. Hyde; one looking at him said distinctly, but with a murmuring tone, slowly demure, I never spoke against you. He said there seemed to be legion of them. He was alarmed, but very much disgusted. He could scarcely bear to speak of them. (Fielding, p. 23)

From his own experiences in the Sacred Grove (See Joseph Smith History 1:15-17), Joseph was able to teach Heber an important truth about the satanic attack in Preston. He stated, “The nearer a person approaches the Lord, a greater power will be manifested by the adversary to prevent the accomplishment of His purposes.” (Whitney p.132)

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

More retellings of how Satan tried to stop the preaching of the gospel in England.

Wilford Woodruff writes: "The very day we entered that house it was filled with evil spirits, who sought to destroy us. We felt their power day after day. They did not particularly injure us at that time, but we knew they were with us. The incident that I am going to refer to now occurred after Brother Kimball had returned to Manchester.

"Brother George A. Smith and myself were left there. We sat up one night till about 11 o'clock, talking about the Gospel of Christ, and then went to bed. The room in which we slept was small; there was about three and a half feet between our cots. Those spirits were gathered together in that room and sought to destroy us. They fell upon us with the determination to take our lives.

"The distress, the suffering and the horror that rested upon me I never experienced neither before nor since. While in this condition a spirit said to me, "Pray to the Lord." Well, a man in that kind of warfare, when he is choking almost to death, is in a peculiar position to pray. Nevertheless I went to praying with all the power I had. I knew we would die unless God opened some door for our deliverance, because we were being choked to death, and I prayed the Lord, in the name of Jesus Christ, to preserve our lives.

"While I was praying, the door opened and three messengers entered, and the room was filled with light equal to the blazing light of the sun at mid-day. Those messengers were all dressed in the robes of immortal beings. Who they were I know not. They laid hands upon me and my companion, and rebuked those evil powers, and we were saved. From that hour to this day, not only our lives were saved, but those powers were rebuked by the angels of God so that no Elder since has been tormented with them in London."

Heber C. Kimball writes: "I had been sleeping on the back of the bed. I immediately arose, slipped off at the foot of the bed, and passed around to where he [Elder Russell] was. Elder Hyde threw his feet out, and sat up in the bed, and we laid hands on him, I being mouth, and prayed that the Lord would have mercy on him, and rebuke the devil.

"While thus engaged, I was struck with great force by some invisible power, and fell senseless on the floor. The first thing I recollected was being supported by Elders Hyde and Richards who were praying for me, Elder Richards having followed Russell up to my room. Elders Hyde and Richards then assisted me to get on the bed, but my agony was so great I could not endure it, and I arose, bowed my knees and prayed.

"I then arose and sat up on the bed, when a vision was opened to our minds, and we could distinctly see the evil spirits, who foamed and gnashed their teeth at us. We gazed upon them about an hour and a half (by Willard's watch). We were not looking towards the window, but towards the wall. Space appeared before us, and we saw the devils coming in legions, with their leaders, who came within a few feet of us. They came towards us like armies rushing to battle. They appeared to be men of full stature, possessing every form and feature of men in the flesh, who were angry and desperate; and I shall never forget the vindictive malignity depicted on their countenances as they looked me in the eye; and any attempt to paint the scene which then presented itself or portray their malice and enmity, would be vain.

"I perspired exceedingly, my clothes becoming as wet as if I had been taken out of the river. I felt excessive pain, and was in the greatest distress for some time. I cannot even look back on the scene without feelings of horror; yet by itI learned the power of the adversary, his enmity against the servants of God, and got some understanding of the invisible world. We distinctly heard these spirits talk and express their wrath and hellish designs against us. However, the Lord delivered us from them, and blessed us exceedingly that day."

When he returned home Heber C. Kimball asked the Prophet, Joseph Smith, "What was the matter of us? What had we done that we had to be submitted to such an experience?"

Joseph responded, "Brother Heber, at that time you were nigh unto the Lord; there was only a veil between you and him, but you could not see him. When I heard of it, it gave me great joy, for I then knew that the work of God had taken root in that land. It was this that caused the devil to make a struggle to kill you. The nearer a person approaches the Lord, a greater power will be manifested by the adversary to prevent the accomplishment of his purposes."

Collected Discourses, Vol.5, Wilford Woodruff, October 5, 1896

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

If you have a gospel question you can't answer, if you have something which bothers you, if you are a member of the church who is estranged form the church, if you don't like a church policy, if you blow right past the three witnesses and the eight witnesses, and even the scriptures themselves, consider this and overcome the doubt.

The experiences spoken of above happened, they were witnessed by a large number of the Apostles, they happened because the restoration of the fullness of the gospel was and is real. They were described and spoken of by those who experienced things at Preston England throughout their remaining lives. They happened because Satan KNEW about how successful the coming missionary events where about to be. in fact, I have read that at some point in Nauvoo, you could walk down the street and were as likely to hear someone speaking with a British accent as you were to hear someone who was a native American speaker. Now we understand the unbridled efforts to stop the Apostles at the beginning at Preston. They (those there) would never forget, and neither should we. Read their comments, they are many and went on for decades.