LDS Thoughts and DOCTRINE.

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: LDS Thoughts and DOCTRINE.

Post by Elizabeth »

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... 9?lang=eng

"The adoring multitude, numbering about two thousand five hundred souls, thought that Jesus was about to depart; and they tearfully yearned to have Him remain. He comforted them with the assurance that He would return on the morrow, and admonished them to ponder upon the things He had taught, and to pray in His name to the Father for understanding. He had already informed the Twelve, and now stated to the people, that He would show Himself and minister “unto the lost tribes of Israel, for they are not lost unto the Father, for he knoweth whither he hath taken them.” Voicing the compassion He felt, the Lord directed the people to fetch their afflicted ones, the lame, halt, maimed, blind and deaf, the leprous, and the withered; and when these were brought He healed them, every one. Then, as He commanded, parents brought their little children, and placed them in a circle around Him. The multitude bowed in prayer; and Jesus prayed for them; “And,” wrote Nephi, “no tongue can speak, neither can there be written by any man, neither can the hearts of men conceive so great and marvellous things as we both saw and heard Jesus speak; and no one can conceive of the joy which filled our souls at the time we heard him pray for us unto the Father.” The prayer being ended, Jesus bade the multitude arise; and joyfully He exclaimed: “Blessed are ye because of your faith. And now behold, my joy is full.” Jesus wept. Then He took the children, one by one, and blessed them, praying unto the Father for each.

“And when he had done this he wept again, and he spake unto the multitude, and saith unto them, behold your little ones. And as they looked to behold, they cast their eyes towards heaven, and they saw the heavens open, and they saw angels descending out of heaven as it were, in the midst of fire; and they came down and encircled those little ones about, and they were encircled about with fire; and the angels did minister unto them.”

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

"The Lord Jesus sent for bread and wine, and caused the people to sit down. The bread He brake and blessed, and gave thereof to the Twelve; these, having eaten, distributed bread to the multitude. The wine was blessed, and all partook, the Twelve first, and afterward the people. With impressiveness similar to that attending the institution of the Sacrament of the Lord’s Supper among the apostles in Jerusalem, Jesus made plain the sanctity and significance of the ordinance, saying that authority for its future administration would be given; and that it was to be participated in by all who had been baptised into fellowship with Christ, and was always to be observed in remembrance of Him, the bread being the sacred emblem of His body, the wine the token of His blood that had been shed. By express commandment, the Lord forbade the sacrament of bread and wine to all but the worthy; “For,” He explained, “whoso eateth and drinketh my flesh and blood unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to his soul; therefore if ye know that a man is unworthy to eat and drink of my flesh and blood, ye shall forbid him.” But the people were forbidden to cast out from their assemblies those from whom the Sacrament was to be withheld, if so be they would but repent and seek fellowship through baptism.

The necessity of prayer was explicitly emphasized by the Lord, the commandment to pray being given to the Twelve and to the multitude separately. Individual supplication, family devotions, and congregational worship were thus enjoined:

“Therefore ye must always pray unto the Father in my name; and whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, which is right, believing that ye shall receive, behold it shall be given unto you. Pray in your families unto the Father, always in my name, that your wives and your children may be blessed. And behold, ye shall meet together oft, and ye shall not forbid any man from coming unto you when ye shall meet together, but suffer them that they may come unto you, and forbid them not; but ye shall pray for them, and shall not cast them out; and if it so be that they come unto you oft, ye shall pray for them unto the Father, in my name.”

The Lord then touched with His hand each of the Twelve, investing them, in words unheard by others, with power to confer the Holy Ghost by the imposition of hands upon all repentant and baptised believers. As he finished the ordination of the Twelve, a cloud overshadowed the people, so that the Lord was hidden from their sight; but the twelve disciples “saw and did bear record that he ascended again into heaven.”

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... 4?lang=eng

JST, Exodus 34:1–2, 14. Compare Exodus 34:1–2, 14; D&C 84:21–26
God again writes the law on tablets of stone prepared by Moses but takes the Melchizedek Priesthood and its ordinances away from the children of Israel. He gives them the law of carnal commandments instead.
1 And the Lord said unto Moses, Hew thee two other tables of stone, like unto the first, and I will write upon them also, the words of the law, according as they were written at the first on thetables which thou brakest; but it shall not be according to the first, for I will take away the priesthood out of their midst; therefore my holy order, and the ordinances thereof, shall not go before them; for my presence shall not go up in their midst, lest I destroy them.
2 But I will give unto them the law as at the first, but it shall be after the law of a carnal commandment; for I have sworn in my wrath, that they shall not enter into my presence, into my rest, in the days of their pilgrimage. Therefore do as I have commanded thee, and be ready in the morning, and come up in the morning unto mount Sinai, and present thyself there to me, in the top of the mount.
Jehovah is one name by which the Old Testament people know the Lord Jesus Christ.
14 For thou shalt worship no other god; for the Lord, whose name is Jehovah, is a jealous God.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Exodus 20
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... 0?lang=eng

Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh His name in vain.

Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.

Thou shalt not kill.

Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Thou shalt not steal.

Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his @#$, nor any thing that is thy neighbour’s.

Ye shall not make with me gods of silver, neither shall ye make unto you gods of gold.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Elizabeth wrote: November 4th, 2021, 2:48 am

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... 9?lang=eng

"On the morrow a yet greater multitude assembled in expectation of the Saviour’s return. Throughout the night messengers had spread the glorious tidings of the Lord’s appearing, and of His promise to again visit His people. So great was the assembly that Nephi and his associates caused the people to separate into twelve bodies, to each of which one of the disciples was assigned to impart instruction and to lead in prayer. The burden of supplication was that the Holy Ghost should be given unto them. Led by the chosen disciples the whole vast concourse approached the water’s edge, and Nephi, going first, was baptised by immersion; he then baptised the eleven others whom Jesus had chosen. When the Twelve had come forth out of the water, “they were filled with the Holy Ghost, and with fire. And behold, they were encircled about as if it were fire; and it came down from heaven, and the multitude did witness it, and do bear record; and angels did come down out of heaven, and did minister unto them. And it came to pass that while the angels were ministering unto the disciples, behold, Jesus came and stood in the midst, and ministered unto them.”

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Our Heavenly Father has promised that his eye is on the sparrow—so too does he watch over and care about us because of the love he has for us. We are reminded of the spiritual power that comes from consistently doing the small and simple things that will strengthen our spirits. :)

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Those who love righteousness possess the Spirit of God, those who delight to do good, can remember good.

They can remember every good principle and every good act;

When they read the Scriptures, the sayings of the Prophets and Apostles will be as near their hearts as lies are to the hearts of the wicked.

By this you may know whether you are Saints or not.

Can you remember good?

If you forget good and remember evil, you may lay it down as a positive fact that you are on the highway to destruction.

If you love the truth you can remember it.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.

9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

12 Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

Revelation 12

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

"Thus Jesus appeared in the midst of the disciples and ministering angels. At His command the Twelve and the multitude knelt in prayer; and they prayed unto Jesus, calling Him their Lord and their God. Jesus separated Himself by a little space, and in humble attitude prayed, saying in part: “Father, I thank thee that thou hast given the Holy Ghost unto these whom I have chosen; and it is because of their belief in me, that I have chosen them out of the world. Father, I pray thee that thou wilt give the Holy Ghost unto all them that shall believe in their words.” The disciples were yet fervently praying to Jesus when He returned to them; and as He looked upon them with a merciful and approving smile, they were glorified in His presence, so that their countenances and their apparel shone with a brilliancy like unto that of the face and garments of the Lord, even so that “there could be nothing on earth so white as the whiteness thereof.” A second and a third time Jesus retired and prayed unto the Father; and while the people comprehended the meaning of His prayer, they confessed and bare record that “so great and marvellous were the words which he prayed, that they cannot be written, neither can they be uttered by man.” The Lord rejoiced in the faith of the people, and to the disciples He said: “So great faith have I never seen among all the Jews; wherefore I could not shew unto them so great miracles, because of their unbelief. Verily I say unto you, there are none of them that have seen so great things as ye have seen; neither have they heard so great things as ye have heard.” Then the Lord administered the Sacrament in manner as on the yesterday; but both the bread and the wine were provided without human aid. The sanctity of the ordinance was thus expressed: “He that eateth this bread, eateth of my body to his soul, and he that drinketh of this wine, drinketh of my blood to his soul, and his soul shall never hunger nor thirst, but shall be filled.”

https://abn.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... 1652422858

Narnia
captain of 50

Post by Narnia »

Elizabeth wrote: April 29th, 2022, 6:40 pm
Elizabeth wrote: November 4th, 2021, 2:48 am
Love that hymn. One of my favorites. My other favorite is "O My Father"

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

"This was followed by instructions concerning the covenant people, Israel, of whom the Nephites were a part, and of the relation they would bear to the Gentile nations in the future development of the divine purpose. Jesus declared Himself to be that Prophet whose coming Moses had foretold, and the Christ of whom all the prophets had testified. The temporary supremacy of the Gentiles, whereby the further scattering of Israel would be accomplished, and the eventual gathering of the covenant people, were predicted, with frequent reference to the inspired utterances of Isaiah bearing thereon.The future of Lehi’s descendants was pictured as a dwindling in unbelief through iniquity; in consequence of which the Gentiles would grow to be a mighty people on the western continent, even though that land had been given as an ultimate inheritance to the house of Israel. The establishment of the then future but now existent American nation, characterised as “a free people,” was thus foretold and God’s purpose therein explained: “For it is wisdom in the Father that they should be established in this land, and be set up as a free people by the power of the Father, that these things might come forth from them unto a remnant of your seed, that the covenant of the Father may be fulfilled which he hath covenanted with his people, O house of Israel.”

https://abn.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... 1652422858

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

The Soul's Captain
Orson F. Whitney

Art thou in truth?
Then what of Him who bought thee with His blood?
Who plunged into devouring seas
And snatched thee from the flood

Who bore for all our fallen race
What none but Him could bear--
The God who died that man might live
And endless glory share.

Of what avail thy vaunted strength
Apart from His vast might?
Pray that His light may pierce the gloom
That thou mayest see aright.

Men are as bubbles on the wave,
As leaves upon the tree,
Thou, captain of thy soul! Forsooth,
Who gave that place to thee?

Free will is thine--free agency,
To wield for right or wrong;
But thou must answer unto Him
To whom all souls belong.

Bend to the dust that “head unbowed”,
Small part of life’s great whole,
And see in Him and Him alone,
The captain of thy soul.

Orson F. Whitney served as a member of the Council of the Twelve Apostles from 1906-1931.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Moroni 10:3-5,

3. Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.

4. And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, He will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

5. And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

"As a sign of the time in which the gathering of the several branches of Israel from their long dispersion should take place, the Lord specified the prosperity of the Gentiles in America, and their agency in bringing the Scriptures to the degraded remnant of Lehi’s posterity or the American Indians. It was made plain that all Gentiles who would repent, and accept the gospel of Christ through baptism, should be numbered among the covenant people and be made partakers of the blessings incident to the last days, in which the New Jerusalem would be established on the American continent. The joyful account of gathered Israel as Jehovah had given it aforetime through the mouth of His prophet Isaiah, was repeated by the resurrected Jehovah to His Nephite flock. Admonishing them to ponder the words of the prophets, which were of record amongst them, and to give heed to the new Scriptures He had made known, and especially commanding the Twelve to teach the people further concerning the things He had expounded, the Lord informed them of the revelations given through Malachi, and directed that the same be written."

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... 1652422858

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Elizabeth wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 6:31 pm The Soul's Captain
Orson F. Whitney

Art thou in truth?
Then what of Him who bought thee with His blood?
Who plunged into devouring seas
And snatched thee from the flood

Who bore for all our fallen race
What none but Him could bear--
The God who died that man might live
And endless glory share.

Of what avail thy vaunted strength
Apart from His vast might?
Pray that His light may pierce the gloom
That thou mayest see aright.

Men are as bubbles on the wave,
As leaves upon the tree,
Thou, captain of thy soul! Forsooth,
Who gave that place to thee?

Free will is thine--free agency,
To wield for right or wrong;
But thou must answer unto Him
To whom all souls belong.

Bend to the dust that “head unbowed”,
Small part of life’s great whole,
And see in Him and Him alone,
The captain of thy soul.

Orson F. Whitney served as a member of the Council of the Twelve Apostles from 1906-1931.
Orson F. Whitney to my knowledge was the last member of the FP or Q12 to actually have a revelation.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

"The prophecies so reiterated by Him who had inspired Malachi to utterance, were at that time obviously of the future, and are even yet unfulfilled in their entirety. The advent of the Lord, to which these scriptures testify, is yet future; but that the time is now near—that “great and dreadful day of the Lord”—is attested by the fact that Elijah who was to come before that day, has appeared in the discharge of his particular commission—that of turning the hearts of the living children to their dead progenitors, and the hearts of the departed fathers to their still mortal posterity."

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... 1652422858

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

"Thus the scriptures of both hemispheres and in all ages of ante-meridian time bore solemn testimony to the certainty of Messiah’s advent; thus the holy prophets of old voiced the word of revelation predicting the coming of the world’s King and Lord, through whom alone is salvation provided, and redemption from death made sure.

It is a characteristic of prophets sent of God that they possess and proclaim a personal assurance of the Christ, “for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.”

Not a word of inspired prophecy relating to the great event has been found void. The literal fulfilment of the predictions is ample attestation of their origin in divine revelation, and proof conclusive of the divinity of Him whose coming was so abundantly foretold."

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... 5?lang=eng

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

"The Antiquity of Sacrifice as a Prototype of Christ’s Atoning Death.—While the Biblical record expressly attests the offering of sacrifices long prior to Israel’s exodus from Egypt—e.g. by Abel and by Cain (Genesis 4:3, 4); by Noah after the deluge (Genesis 8:20); by Abraham (Genesis 22:2, 13); by Jacob (Genesis 31:54; 46:1)—it is silent concerning the divine origin of sacrifice as a propitiatory requirement prefiguring the atoning death of Jesus Christ. The difficulty of determining time and circumstance, under which the offering of symbolical sacrifices originated amongst mankind, is recognized by all investigators save those who admit the validity of modern revelation. The necessity of assuming early instruction from God to man on the subject has been asserted by many Bible scholars. Thus, the writer of the article “Sacrifice” in the Cassell Bible Dictionary says: “The idea of sacrifice is prominent throughout the scriptures, and one of the most ancient and widely recognized in the rites of religion throughout the world. There is also a remarkable similarity in the developments and applications of the idea. On these and other accounts it has been judiciously inferred that sacrifice formed an element in the primeval worship of man; and that its universality is not merely an indirect argument for the unity of the human race, but an illustration and confirmation of the first inspired pages of the world’s history. The notion of sacrifice can hardly be viewed as a product of unassisted human nature, and must therefore be traced to a higher source and viewed as a divine revelation to primitive man.”

Smith’s Dict. of the Bible presents the following: “In tracing the history of sacrifice from its first beginning to its perfect development in the Mosaic ritual, we are at once met by the long-disputed question as to the origin of sacrifice, whether it arose from a natural instinct of man, sanctioned and guided by God, or was the subject of some distinct primeval revelation. There can be no doubt that sacrifice was sanctioned by God’s Law, with a special, typical reference to the Atonement of Christ; its universal prevalence, independent of, and often opposed to, man’s natural reasonings on his relation to God, shows it to have been primeval, and deeply rooted in the instincts of humanity. Whether it was first enjoined by an external command, or was based on that sense of sin and lost communion with God, which is stamped by His hand on the heart of man—is an historical question, perhaps insoluble.”

The difficulty vanishes, and the “historical question” as to the origin of sacrifice is definitely solved by the revelations of God in the current dispensation, whereby parts of the record of Moses—not contained in the Bible—have been restored to human knowledge. The scripture quoted in the text (pp. 43, 44) makes clear the fact that the offering of sacrifices was required of Adam after his transgression, and that the significance of the divinely established requirement was explained in fulness to the patriarch of the race. The shedding of the blood of animals in sacrifice to God, as a prototype “of the sacrifice of the Only Begotten of the Father,” dates from the time immediately following the fall. Its origin is based on a specific revelation to Adam. See Moses 5:5–8."

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

"Jacob’s Prophecy Concerning “Shiloh.”—
The prediction of the patriarch Jacob—that the sceptre should not depart from Judah before the coming of Shiloh—has given rise to much disputation among Bible students.
Some insist that “Shiloh” is the name of a place and not that of a person.
That there was a place known by that name is beyond question (see Joshua 18:1; 19:51; 21:2; 22:9; 1 "Samuel 1:3; Jeremiah 7:12); but the name occurring in Genesis 49:10 is plainly that of a person.
It should be known that the use of the word in the King James or authorized version of the Bible is held to be correct by many eminent authorities. Thus, in Dummelow’s Commentary on the Holy Bible, we read:
“This verse has always been regarded by both Jews and Christians as a remarkable prophecy of the coming of the Messiah. … On the rendering given above, the whole verse foretells that Judah would retain authority until the advent of the rightful ruler, the Messiah, to whom all peoples would gather.
And, broadly speaking, it may be said that the last traces of Jewish legislative power (as vested in the Sanhedrin) did not disappear until the coming of Christ and the destruction of Jerusalem, from which time His kingdom was set up among men.”

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

Elizabeth wrote: November 16th, 2015, 12:51 am https://www.lds.org/pages/church-handbo ... _&lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"First Presidency Clarifies Church Handbook Changes
THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS

OFFICE OF THE FIRST PRESIDENCY

47 EAST SOUTH TEMPLE STREET, SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH 84150-1200

November 13, 2015

To: General Authorities; Area Seventies; General Auxiliary Presidencies; Stake, District, Mission, and Temple Presidents; Bishops and Branch Presidents

Dear Brethren and Sisters:

The Council of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles provides the following guidance in applying provisions on same-gender marriage recently added to Handbook 1:

Revealed doctrine is clear that families are eternal in nature and purpose. We are obligated to act with that perspective for the welfare of both adults and children. The newly added Handbook provisions affirm that adults who choose to enter into a same-gender marriage or similar relationship commit sin that warrants a Church disciplinary council.

Our concern with respect to children is their current and future well-being and the harmony of their home environment. The provisions of Handbook 1, Section 16.13, that restrict priesthood ordinances for minors, apply only to those children whose primary residence is with a couple living in a same-gender marriage or similar relationship. As always, local leaders may request further guidance in particular instances when they have questions.

When a child living with such a same-gender couple has already been baptized and is actively participating in the Church, provisions of Section 16.13 do not require that his or her membership activities or priesthood privileges be curtailed or that further ordinances be withheld. Decisions about any future ordinances for such children should be made by local leaders with their prime consideration being the preparation and best interests of the child.

All children are to be treated with utmost respect and love. They are welcome to attend Church meetings and participate in Church activities. All children may receive priesthood blessings of healing and spiritual guidance.

May the Lord continue to bless you in your ministry.

Sincerely yours,"
I am a late comer to this thread.

my comment which is not intended to be biased in any way.

In response to the above post and official stance of the LDS leadership which has only become more accentuated in recent times , I posit this:

-A male couple that sodomize each other in anal sex and adopt children are accepted by the church with open arms.

-Those families that are made up of 1 male as the patriarchal leader with 2 females, living a Christian and wholesome based life are ostracized as 'evil'. (this is still the current church policy). The LDS hierarchy has an intense hatred toward polygamists. ... (or is it fear?)... I do not know. Yet they embrace the smell of sodomy.

Conclusion?

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

FrankOne wrote: June 4th, 2022, 8:16 pm
Elizabeth wrote: November 16th, 2015, 12:51 am https://www.lds.org/pages/church-handbo ... _&lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"First Presidency Clarifies Church Handbook Changes
THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS

OFFICE OF THE FIRST PRESIDENCY

47 EAST SOUTH TEMPLE STREET, SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH 84150-1200

November 13, 2015

To: General Authorities; Area Seventies; General Auxiliary Presidencies; Stake, District, Mission, and Temple Presidents; Bishops and Branch Presidents

Dear Brethren and Sisters:

The Council of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles provides the following guidance in applying provisions on same-gender marriage recently added to Handbook 1:

Revealed doctrine is clear that families are eternal in nature and purpose. We are obligated to act with that perspective for the welfare of both adults and children. The newly added Handbook provisions affirm that adults who choose to enter into a same-gender marriage or similar relationship commit sin that warrants a Church disciplinary council.

Our concern with respect to children is their current and future well-being and the harmony of their home environment. The provisions of Handbook 1, Section 16.13, that restrict priesthood ordinances for minors, apply only to those children whose primary residence is with a couple living in a same-gender marriage or similar relationship. As always, local leaders may request further guidance in particular instances when they have questions.

When a child living with such a same-gender couple has already been baptized and is actively participating in the Church, provisions of Section 16.13 do not require that his or her membership activities or priesthood privileges be curtailed or that further ordinances be withheld. Decisions about any future ordinances for such children should be made by local leaders with their prime consideration being the preparation and best interests of the child.

All children are to be treated with utmost respect and love. They are welcome to attend Church meetings and participate in Church activities. All children may receive priesthood blessings of healing and spiritual guidance.

May the Lord continue to bless you in your ministry.

Sincerely yours,"
I am a late comer to this thread.

my comment which is not intended to be biased in any way.

In response to the above post and official stance of the LDS leadership which has only become more accentuated in recent times , I posit this:

-A male couple that sodomize each other in anal sex and adopt children are accepted by the church with open arms.

-Those families that are made up of 1 male as the patriarchal leader with 2 females, living a Christian and wholesome based life are ostracized as 'evil'. (this is still the current church policy). The LDS hierarchy has an intense hatred toward polygamists. ... (or is it fear?)... I do not know. Yet they embrace the smell of sodomy.

Conclusion?
Like a dog lapping up his own vomit. :lol:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As_a_dog_returns_to_his_vomit,_so_a_fool_repeats_his_folly wrote: It means that fools are stubbornly inflexible and this is illustrated with the repulsive simile of the dog that eats its vomit again, even though this may be poisonous. Dogs were considered unclean in Biblical times as they were commonly scavengers of the dead ...

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Continued:
"Adam Clarke, in his exhaustive Bible Commentary, briefly analyzes the objections urged against the admissibility of this passage as applying to the Messiah’s advent, and dismisses them all as unfounded. His conclusion as to the meaning of the passage is thus worded: “Judah shall continue a distinct tribe until the Messiah shall come; and it did so; and after His coming it was confounded with the others, so that all distinction has been ever since lost.”

Prof. Douglas, as cited in Smith’s Dictionary, “claims that something of Judah’s sceptre still remained, a total eclipse being no proof that the day is at an end—that the proper fulfillment of the prophecy did not begin till David’s time, and is consummated in Christ according to Luke 1:32, 33.”

The accepted meaning of the word by derivation is “Peaceable,” and this is applicable to the attributes of the Christ, who in Isaiah 9:6, is designated the Prince of Peace.

Eusebius, who lived between 260 and 339 A.D., and is known in ecclesiastical history as Bishop of Cæsarea, wrote: “At the time that Herod was king, who was the first foreigner that reigned over the Jewish people, the prophecy recorded by Moses received it fulfillment, viz. ‘That a prince should not fail of Judah, nor a ruler from his loins, until He should come for whom it is reserved, the expectation of nations.’” (The quoted passage is founded on the Septuagint rendering of Genesis 49:10.)

Some critics have held that in Jacob’s use of the word “Shiloh” he did not intend it as a name or proper noun at all. The writer of the article “Shiloh” in Cassell’s Bible Dictionary says: “The preponderance of evidence is in favor of the Messianic interpretation, but opinions are very divided respecting the retention of the word ‘Shiloh’ as a proper name. … Notwithstanding all the objections that are urged against it being so regarded, we are of the opinion that it is rightly considered to be a proper name, and that the English version represents the true sense of the passage. We recommend those who wish to enter more fully into a question which cannot well be discussed without Hebrew criticism, to the excellent notes upon Genesis 49:10 in the ‘Commentary on the Pentateuch’ by Keil and Delitzsch. Here the text is thus rendered: “The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor the ruler’s staff from between his feet, till Shiloh come, and the willing obedience of the nations be to him.”

“Notwithstanding the slight put upon the Messianic interpretation by some writers, even those from whom we should scarcely expect it, we see this explanation confirmed and not weakened in the events of history. The text is not taken to mean that Judah should at no time be without a royal ruler of his own, but that the regal power should not finally cease from Judah until Shiloh had come. The objections founded on the Babylonian captivity, and similar intermissions, are of no force, because it is the complete and final termination which is pointed out, and that only happened after the time of Christ.” See further The Book of Prophecy, by G. Smith, L.L.D., p. 320. See also Compendium of the Doctrines of the Gospel, by Franklin D. Richards and James A. Little, article “Christ’s First Coming.”

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

"Nephites and Lamanites.—The progenitors of the Nephite nation were led from Jerusalem, 600 B.C., by Lehi, a Jewish prophet of the tribe of Manasseh. His immediate family, at the time of their departure from Jerusalem, comprized his wife Sariah, and their sons, Laman, Lemuel, Sam, and Nephi; at a later stage of the history, daughters are mentioned, but whether any of these were born before the family exodus we are not told. Beside his own family, the colony of Lehi included Zoram, and Ishmael, the latter an Israelite of the tribe of Ephraim. Ishmael, with his family, joined Lehi in the wilderness; and his descendants were numbered with the nation of whom we are speaking. The company journeyed somewhat east of south, keeping near the borders of the Red Sea; then, changing their course to the eastward, crossed the peninsula of Arabia; and there, on the shores of the Arabian Sea, built and provisioned a vessel in which they committed themselves to divine care upon the waters. Their voyage carried them eastward across the Indian Ocean, then over the south Pacific Ocean to the western coast of South America, whereon they landed (590 B.C.). … The people established themselves on what to them was the land of promise; many children were born, and in the course of a few generations a numerous posterity held possession of the land. After the death of Lehi, a division occurred, some of the people accepting as their leader, Nephi, who had been duly appointed to the prophetic office; while the rest proclaimed Laman, the eldest of Lehi’s sons, as their chief. Henceforth the divided people were known as Nephites and Lamanites respectively. At times they observed toward each other fairly friendly relations; but generally they were opposed, the Lamanites manifesting implacable hatred and hostility toward their Nephite kindred. The Nephites advanced in the arts of civilization, built large cities and established prosperous commonwealths; yet they often fell into transgression; and the Lord chastened them by allowing their foes to become victorious. They spread northward, occupying the northern part of South America; then, crossing the Isthmus, they extended their domain over the southern, central and eastern portions of what is now the United States of America. The Lamanites, while increasing in numbers, fell under the curse of darkness; they became dark in skin and benighted in spirit, forgot the God of their fathers, lived a wild nomadic life, and degenerated into the fallen state in which the American Indians—their lineal descendants—were found by those who rediscovered the western continent in later times. See the author’s Articles of Faith, 14:258–60."