Is polygamy the New and everlasting covenant?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Is polygamy the New and everlasting covenant?

Post by Robert Sinclair »

"Exclusively" is a wonderful word to understand of the New and Everlasting Covenant, for it meaneth as it is written in the law to be embraced of the church, in section 42------

"Thou shalt love thy wife with all thy heart, and shalt cleave unto her and none else."

There is not one scripture written in the "One Stick", given unto us, that I have ever seen, commanding to have wives and raise up seed unto God, anywhere, as of yet.

This is but a stumbling block laid down of "desire" yes, "desire", and I will repeat that in any court room you wish, that section 132 never ever commands to take wives, and raise up seed unto God, but puts it down to "desire", which thing is forbidded of God.

Be wise, and see that Abraham nor Jacob at the first had "desire" for wives, but Abraham for Sarah and Jacob for Rachel, and circumstances and not "desire" led to more than one wife.

For the law for leaders of Israel is even till this very day, to not multiply gold or silver or wives, that their hearts not be lifted above that of their brethren. (See Deut 17:17-20)

Look closely at the word given in 132 and witness that it is the word "desire" in verse 61 and not a commandment of God to so do, but you are left an agent unto yourself to see, this is but a stumbling block tossed out for you to stumble upon, should you not be aware of what is being said.

For "if" you "desire" to espouse another, this goes against the "law", to exclusively cleave unto your wife and "none else", unless circumstances, such as Abraham and Jacob not of their "desire" but of circumstances not of their choosing at first, to so do.

David and Solomon had the "law" of not to multiply gold and silver and wives, and broke this law, and as such, Zion was not redeemed in their days upon the earth.

For Zion to be redeemed one must abide by the law, of equal in your temporal things and this not grudgingly, keeping "all" the commandments of God.

Abraham could claim, he gave unto his wife, as she had asked of him, and Jacob could say, he gave to his father-in-law his desire, not his, at the first.

Man makes mistakes, that he might learn wisdom.

The law unto the church is to love your wife, and cleave unto her and none else, unless commanded otherwise.

No command was given to Joseph Smith or Brigham Young, to take wives, and raise up children unto God, ever, that I have yet seen written, or, for any of us.♡

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Abraham had around three wives and was called Friend of God.

James 2:23
23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

Isa. 41:8
8 But thou, Israel, art my servant, Jacob whom I have chosen, the seed of Abraham my friend.

Jacob, the son of Abraham, had four wives, and by these four wives he had twelve sons, from whom come the Twelve Tribes of Israel. And the Israelites became the chosen people and were given the Holy Priesthood. The Lord Said through Moses:

Deut. 32:9
9 For the Lord’s portion is his people; Jacob is the lot of his inheritance.

The Lord blessed and honored Moses.

Exodus 33:11
11 And the Lord spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend.

Moreover, the lord gave to Moses the law by which Israel was to be governed, and not only accepted him as his servant, but accepted also his plural family and made provisions in the law sanctioning plural marriage. This same Moses was commended by the Savior during his ministry.

On the gates of the New Jerusalem on all four sides are to be emblazoned the names of the twelve sons of Jacob the heads of the tribes of Israel.

In the revelation on celestial marriage, the Lord informed Joseph that these men who had plural families did not sin. Moreover, he taught Joseph the doctrine of plural marriage and commanded him to practice it.

Then came along the Manifesto curbing the practice.

And here is what the Lord tells us:

D&C 58:21,22
21 Let no man break the laws of the land, for he that keepeth the laws of God hath no need to break the laws of the land.
22 Wherefore, be (a)subject to the powers that be, until he reigns whose right it is to reign, and subdues all enemies under his feet.

And just what is it to be "subject to the powers that be?" To be subject to government...until Christ comes.

(a) 22 a subject
Rom. 13:1 (1–7). TG Governments; Submissiveness.

All this from the book "Answers To Gospel Questions" by Joseph Fielding Smith. page: 158, book three.

deep water
captain of 1,000

Post by deep water »

TrueIntent wrote:DW, so the gate is baptism by water and repentance right? And u are saying the gate is the new and everlasting covenant???
No, the baptism of water is not the gate. Why would Christ state that he alone stands at the gate and employes no servant there, if water baptism is the Gate. The water baptism only has relevance if it is accompanied with the Baptism of fire and the HG.
Read the opening post and if you need this question answered pm me.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robert Sinclair »

freedomforall,

Abraham had sorrow when Sarah said to him "Cast out Hagar", and Hagar along with his first born son Ishmael, were cast out from him to wander in the wilderness of Beer-sheba. And After Sarah died and was buried, he did marry again Keturah, who did give birth to Zimran, and Jokshan, and Medan, and Ishbak, and Shuah.

And where are those of these, and of Ishmael?

And although Jacob at first only having desire for Rachel, was fooled by his father-in-law with Leah, and he did have children with their hand-maidens, where are all these now?

And Jacob, also had great grief and sorrow, for many, many years, having thought Joseph killed, because of the jealous brothers who hated Joseph for a time, because Jacob showed favor to Joseph.

Not all the picture of a happier people ever created by the hand of God.

But all these things have been written, that one might read and see the paths of wisdom, and great understanding, of seeing afar off, if one has great love and care for all of their children, seeking for happiness for them, and great joy, of being equal, not lifting their hearts above one another, no reason because of jealousness for any to be cast out or sent away, in deep sorrow, or even killed.

Wisdom and Understanding and Intelligence of the Ancient of Days as Adam and Enoch and Noah, gained after many years upon this earth, I am sure.

Good to be able to see afar off, for the welfare and goodwill and peace of your children, at a young age if possible.♡

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

deep water wrote:No, the baptism of water is not the gate. Why would Christ state that he alone stands at the gate and employes no servant there, if water baptism is the Gate. The water baptism only has relevance if it is accompanied with the Baptism of fire and the HG.
2 Ne. 9:41
41 O then, my beloved brethren, come unto the Lord, the Holy One. Remember that his paths are righteous. Behold, the way for man is narrow, but it lieth in a straight course before him, and the keeper of the gate is the Holy One of Israel; and he employeth no servant there; and there is none other way save it be by the gate; for he cannot be deceived, for the Lord God is his name.

Christ is the keeper of the Gate. And what is the gate?

The gate is repentance and baptism by water:

2 Ne. 31:9 (9, 17–18)
9 And again, it showeth unto the children of men the straitness of the path, and the narrowness of the gate, by which they should enter, he (Christ) having set the example before them.
17 Wherefore, do the things which I have told you I have seen that your Lord and your Redeemer should do; for, for this cause have they been shown unto me, that ye might know the gate by which ye should enter. For the gate by which ye should enter is repentance and baptism by water; and then cometh a remission of your sins by fire and by the Holy Ghost.
18 And then are ye in this strait and narrow path which leads to eternal life; yea, ye have entered in by the gate; ye have done according to the commandments of the Father and the Son; and ye have received the Holy Ghost, which witnesses of the Father and the Son, unto the fulfilling of the promise which he hath made, that if ye entered in by the way ye should receive.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

TrueIntent wrote:DW, so the gate is baptism by water and repentance right? And u are saying the gate is the new and everlasting covenant???
The answer to the first question is...yes.
The answer to the second question is...no

One has to be baptized and live righteously in order to reach the point of receiving the new and everlasting covenant, and all of its components.

Doctrine and Covenants 66:2
2 Verily I say unto you, blessed are you for receiving mine everlasting covenant, even the fulness of my gospel, sent forth unto the children of men, that they might have life and be made partakers of the glories which are to be revealed in the last days, as it was written by the prophets and apostles in days of old.

132:7 And verily I say unto you, that the conditions of this law are these: All covenants, contracts, bonds, obligations, oaths, vows, performances, connections, associations, or expectations, that are not made and entered into and sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, of him who is anointed, both as well for time and for all eternity, and that too most holy, by revelation and commandment through the medium of mine anointed, whom I have appointed on the earth to hold this power (and I have appointed unto my servant Joseph to hold this power in the last days, and there is never but one on the earth at a time on whom this power and the keys of this priesthood are conferred), are of no efficacy, virtue, or force in and after the resurrection from the dead; for all contracts that are not made unto this end have an end when men are dead.

132:22
22 For strait is the gate, and narrow the way that leadeth unto the exaltation and continuation of the (c)lives, and few there be that find it, because ye receive me not in the world neither do ye know me.

(c) D&C 132:30 (30–31)
30 Abraham received promises concerning his seed, and of the fruit of his loins—from whose loins ye are, namely, my servant Joseph—which were to continue so long as they were in the world; and as touching Abraham and his seed, out of the world they should continue; both in the world and out of the world should they continue as innumerable as the stars; or, if ye were to count the sand upon the seashore ye could not number them.
31 This promise is yours also, because ye are of Abraham, and the promise was made unto Abraham; and by this law is the continuation of the works of my Father, wherein he glorifieth himself.

deep water
captain of 1,000

Post by deep water »

FFA, If the baptism of water is of no value, without the accompanying BOFHG accompanying it, and the mistakes found in the BOM are the mistakes made by man, and therefore there must be some mistakes made, and if you understand the Gospel, and understand that Christ stands at the gate and employes no servant there. You would understand that the gate is the BOFHG. Neither the bishop, or the stake president, or a general Authority or the president of the Church can of themselves offer this to you. It is only offer by the one standing at that gate. Ananias and Sophina found that out the hard way when they lied about their repentance and only offered a partial repentance. The lord required their life for trying to sneak through the gate.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

deep water wrote:FFA, If the baptism of water is of no value, without the accompanying BOFHG accompanying it, and the mistakes found in the BOM are the mistakes made by man, and therefore there must be some mistakes made, and if you understand the Gospel, and understand that Christ stands at the gate and employes no servant there. You would understand that the gate is the BOFHG. Neither the bishop, or the stake president, or a general Authority or the president of the Church can of themselves offer this to you. It is only offer by the one standing at that gate. Ananias and Sophina found that out the hard way when they lied about their repentance and only offered a partial repentance. The lord required their life for trying to sneak through the gate.

9 And again, it showeth unto the children of men the straitness of the path, and the narrowness of the gate, by which they should enter, he (Christ) having set the example before them.
17 Wherefore, do the things which I have told you I have seen that your Lord and your Redeemer should do; for, for this cause have they been shown unto me, that ye might know the gate by which ye should enter. For the gate by which ye should enter is repentance and baptism by water; and then cometh a remission of your sins by fire and by the Holy Ghost.
18 And then are ye in this strait and narrow path which leads to eternal life; yea, ye have entered in by the gate; ye have done according to the commandments of the Father and the Son; and ye have received the Holy Ghost, which witnesses of the Father and the Son, unto the fulfilling of the promise which he hath made, that if ye entered in by the way ye should receive.

Who says baptism has no value? The scriptures are clear that the "gate" is baptism by water. Repentance is also associated with it, otherwise a person being baptized would be lying. In other words, they would have held back sins that they didn't want to repent of. This would make a mockery of their baptism. Any mistakes in the BOM have nothing to do with this fact and is only a strawman issue.
Even Christ, a perfect man, was baptized "to fulfill all righteousness." Never assume baptism has no value, Christ might have something to say about that.
First, one is baptized...then comes the fiery cleansing power of the Holy Ghost. Not the other way around. Every single member of the church has to be truly converted to the gospel no matter at what point in their life it takes place. This is when the natural or carnal man is rooted out and replaced with a desire to do good till the end of probation...this life in the flesh, it is called a spiritual man, or reborn in the Spirit. This does not take place automatically at baptism, rather, it opens the way to become sanctified by the Spirit, to be acceptable before God, a man/woman of Christ. Then may come the calling and election upon God seeing fit to bestow such a gift upon the righteous. Baptism is essential.

Baptism, Essential
Suffer it to be so now … to fulfil all righteousness: Matt. 3:15 .

teach all nations, baptizing them: Matt. 28:19 .

Jesus came … and was baptized of John: Mark 1:9 .

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved: Mark 16:16 . ( Ether 4:18 ; D&C 112:28–29 . )

Jesus also being baptized: Luke 3:21 .

rejected the counsel of God … being not baptized: Luke 7:30 .

Except a man be born of water … he cannot enter into the kingdom of God: John 3:5 .

Repent, and be baptized every one of you: Acts 2:38 .

commanded them to be baptized: Acts 10:48 .

be baptized, and wash away thy sins: Acts 22:16 .

One Lord, one faith, one baptism: Eph. 4:5 .

saved us, by the washing of regeneration: Titus 3:5 .

baptism doth also now save us: 1 Pet. 3:21 .

commandeth all men that they must … be baptized: 2 Ne. 9:23 . ( 3 Ne. 27:20 . )

need have we, being unholy, to be baptized: 2 Ne. 31:5 .

whoso believeth in me, and is baptized … shall be saved: 3 Ne. 11:33 .

the commandment: Repent … and be baptized: 3 Ne. 27:20 .

as many as repent and are baptized … and endure … shall be saved: D&C 18:22 .

after … baptized … a remission of your sins: D&C 55:1 .

They are they who … were baptized … according to the commandment: D&C 76:51 .

not baptized … shall be damned: D&C 84:74 .

turn unto me … repent … and be baptized: Moses 6:52 .

Moses 6:59,60
59 That by reason of transgression cometh the fall, which fall bringeth death, and inasmuch as ye were born into the world by water, and blood, and the spirit, which I have made, and so became of dust a living soul, even so ye must be born again into the kingdom of heaven, of water, and of the Spirit, and be cleansed by blood, even the blood of mine Only Begotten; that ye might be sanctified from all sin, and enjoy the words of eternal life in this world, and eternal life in the world to come, even immortal glory;
60 For by the water ye keep the commandment; by the Spirit ye are justified, and by the blood ye are sanctified;

Are all these scriptures mistakes? I don't think so!

deep water
captain of 1,000

Post by deep water »

Joseph Smith said that a water baptism is of no value without the connecting BOFHG. Bednar quoted JS in his first GC address after being made an member of the 12.
I believe the quote is something like ' The baptism of water, without the baptism of fire and the Holy Ghost attending it, is of no use; they are necessarily and inseparably connected. JS
Another refence is You might as well baptise a bag of sand as a man, if not done in view of the remission of sins and getting of the Holy Ghost. Baptism by itself, is but half of a baptism, and is good for nothing without the other half--that is, the baptism of the Holy Ghost.JS
Christ said Except a man be born of water and of the spirit, he cannot enter into heaven.
Though you FFA and rewcox have mastered the art of large print, It might be wise to actually know what you are talking about.

FFA asks; Are all these scriptures mistakes? I don't think so. Answer; No they are not all mistakes, most mistakes are made by those who
do not understand the Gospel and interpret incorrectly.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

deep water wrote:Joseph Smith said that a water baptism is of no value without the connecting BOFHG. Bednar quoted JS in his first GC address after being made an member of the 12.
I believe the quote is something like ' The baptism of water, without the baptism of fire and the Holy Ghost attending it, is of no use; they are necessarily and inseparably connected. JS
Another refence is You might as well baptise a bag of sand as a man, if not done in view of the remission of sins and getting of the Holy Ghost. Baptism by itself, is but half of a baptism, and is good for nothing without the other half--that is, the baptism of the Holy Ghost.JS
Christ said Except a man be born of water and of the spirit, he cannot enter into heaven.
Though you FFA and rewcox have mastered the art of large print, It might be wise to actually know what you are talking about. We do, thanks for the compliment.

FFA asks; Are all these scriptures mistakes? I don't think so. Answer; No they are not all mistakes, most mistakes are made by those who
do not understand the Gospel and interpret incorrectly. I couldn't have said it any better.
I rest my case. Thanks for admitting to and solidifying a point I was thinking but didn't want to post. I base my knowledge having read the scriptures as commanded. I do not base my knowledge on hearsay, it comes straight from feasting on the word. Believe me, it is enlightening, and a commandment. Scripture always trumps all else, because it comes straight from God.
Most people on this forum that cannot keep their readers riveted with nonsense, turn to mocking and demeaning them in an attempt to keep from having to admit they just may be wrong. And guess what? Is there something in the air, except love and comradery?

Love is in the air
You still haven't shown any scriptures backing your assertions about Lehi being all messed up. If they're in there, let's see um'. Did you read over my posted scriptures? I made them large so they couldn't be mistaken for hearsay.

Love is all around
Love is a many splendored thing
I love
Or, simply tell me this

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Two points:
1- ffa, you also have mastered the art of the attached songs! I learned from you. Do you know how to link text to a url? I see people do it, I haven't figured it out.

2- dw, when you are against the church, you cannot quote an apostle of the church.
freedomforall wrote:
deep water wrote:Joseph Smith said that a water baptism is of no value without the connecting BOFHG. Bednar quoted JS in his first GC address after being made an member of the 12.
Though you FFA and rewcox have mastered the art of large print, It might be wise to actually know what you are talking about. We do, thanks for the compliment.

do not understand the Gospel and interpret incorrectly. I couldn't have said it any better.
I rest my case. Thanks for admitting to and solidifying a point I was thinking but didn't want to post. I base my knowledge having read the scriptures as commanded. I do not base my knowledge on hearsay, it comes straight from feasting on the word. Believe me, it is enlightening, and a commandment. Scripture always trumps all else, because it comes straight from God.
Most people on this forum that cannot keep their readers riveted with nonsense, turn to mocking and demeaning them in an attempt to keep from having to admit they just may be wrong. And guess what? Is there something in the air, except love and comradery?

Love is in the air
You still haven't shown any scriptures backing your assertions about Lehi being all messed up. If they're in there, let's see um'. Did you read over my posted scriptures? I made them large so they couldn't be mistaken for hearsay.

Love is all around
Love is a many splendored thing
I love
Or, simply tell me this

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

rewcox wrote: Do you know how to link text to a url? I see people do it, I haven't figured it out.
You mean...

then add = between url and the http address and then the ]
Then add title between brackets as shown below

[url=http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/08/us/south- ... index.html]South Carolina cop shoots unarmed man[/url]

Then we have South Carolina cop shoots unarmed man

deep water
captain of 1,000

Post by deep water »

deep water wrote:
Joseph Smith said that a water baptism is of no value without the connecting BOFHG. Bednar quoted JS in his first GC address after being made an member of the 12.
Though you FFA and rewcox have mastered the art of large print, It might be wise to actually know what you are talking about.

FFA asks; Are all these scriptures mistakes? I don't think so. Answer by DW; No they are not all mistakes, most mistakes are made by those who do not understand the Gospel and interpret incorrectly. FFA wrote; I couldn't have said it any better.
freedomforall wrote:
deep water wrote:FFA, If the baptism of water is of no value, without the accompanying BOFHG accompanying it, and the mistakes found in the BOM are the mistakes made by man, and therefore there must be some mistakes made, and if you understand the Gospel, and understand that Christ stands at the gate and employes no servant there. You would understand that the gate is the BOFHG. Neither the bishop, or the stake president, or a general Authority or the president of the Church can of themselves offer this to you. It is only offer by the one standing at that gate. Ananias and Sophina found that out the hard way when they lied about their repentance and only offered a partial repentance. The lord required their life for trying to sneak through the gate.

Who says baptism has no value? The scriptures are clear that the "gate" is baptism by water. Repentance is also associated with it, otherwise a person being baptized would be lying. In other words, they would have held back sins that they didn't want to repent of. This would make a mockery of their baptism. Any mistakes in the BOM have nothing to do with this fact and is only a strawman issue.
Even Christ, a perfect man, was baptized "to fulfill all righteousness." Never assume baptism has no value, Christ might have something to say about that.
First, one is baptized...then comes the fiery cleansing power of the Holy Ghost. Not the other way around. Every single member of the church has to be truly converted to the gospel no matter at what point in their life it takes place. This is when the natural or carnal man is rooted out and replaced with a desire to do good till the end of probation...this life in the flesh, it is called a spiritual man, or reborn in the Spirit. This does not take place automatically at baptism, rather, it opens the way to become sanctified by the Spirit, to be acceptable before God, a man/woman of Christ. Then may come the calling and election upon God seeing fit to bestow such a gift upon the righteous. Baptism is essential.

Baptism, Essential
Suffer it to be so now … to fulfil all righteousness: Matt. 3:15 .

teach all nations, baptizing them: Matt. 28:19 .

Jesus came … and was baptized of John: Mark 1:9 .

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved: Mark 16:16 . ( Ether 4:18 ; D&C 112:28–29 . )

Jesus also being baptized: Luke 3:21 .

rejected the counsel of God … being not baptized: Luke 7:30 .

Except a man be born of water … he cannot enter into the kingdom of God: John 3:5 .

Repent, and be baptized every one of you: Acts 2:38 .

commanded them to be baptized: Acts 10:48 .

be baptized, and wash away thy sins: Acts 22:16 .

One Lord, one faith, one baptism: Eph. 4:5 .

saved us, by the washing of regeneration: Titus 3:5 .

baptism doth also now save us: 1 Pet. 3:21 .

commandeth all men that they must … be baptized: 2 Ne. 9:23 . ( 3 Ne. 27:20 . )

need have we, being unholy, to be baptized: 2 Ne. 31:5 .

whoso believeth in me, and is baptized … shall be saved: 3 Ne. 11:33 .

the commandment: Repent … and be baptized: 3 Ne. 27:20 .

as many as repent and are baptized … and endure … shall be saved: D&C 18:22 .

after … baptized … a remission of your sins: D&C 55:1 .

They are they who … were baptized … according to the commandment: D&C 76:51 .

not baptized … shall be damned: D&C 84:74 .

turn unto me … repent … and be baptized: Moses 6:52 .

Moses 6:59,60
59 That by reason of transgression cometh the fall, which fall bringeth death, and inasmuch as ye were born into the world by water, and blood, and the spirit, which I have made, and so became of dust a living soul, even so ye must be born again into the kingdom of heaven, of water, and of the Spirit, and be cleansed by blood, even the blood of mine Only Begotten; that ye might be sanctified from all sin, and enjoy the words of eternal life in this world, and eternal life in the world to come, even immortal glory;
60 For by the water ye keep the commandment; by the Spirit ye are justified, and by the blood ye are sanctified;

Are all these scriptures mistakes? I don't think so!

So in conclusion you do not accept Christ's and Joseph's teachings and want us to believe your truth is superior to their knowledge. Go figure.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

deep water wrote:So in conclusion you do not accept Christ's and Joseph's teachings and want us to believe your truth is superior to their knowledge. Go figure.
How ironic, I could ask the same thing of you. But since I'm not a second-sighted individual, I really cannot do that. It must be quite a talent though.
What I can say is, however, if people would spend more time studying scripture than reading all the journals from many decades ago, they just may learn the gospel as laid out instead of passing along opinions of others and getting confused and mislead to the point that when actual truth is presented they can't accept it.
Take Nephi for instance, he wanted to know what his father saw in his vision so he asked God to show him so he could understand better. He could have said to his father "hey, dad, I asked God what you saw in your vision and he showed me, but, I really don't believe it, and I'm beginning to think you're nuts." Instead, he humbled himself and respected his father as a prophet and a family head. Even after breaking his bow, Nephi asked his father where he could go to get game.

deep water
captain of 1,000

Post by deep water »

freedomforall wrote:
deep water wrote:So in conclusion you do not accept Christ's and Joseph's teachings and want us to believe your truth is superior to their knowledge. Go figure.
How ironic, I could ask the same thing of you. But since I'm not a second-sighted individual, I really cannot do that. It must be quite a talent though.
What I can say is, however, if people would spend more time studying scripture than reading all the journals from many decades ago, they just may learn the gospel as laid out instead of passing along opinions of others and getting confused and mislead to the point that when actual truth is presented they can't accept it.
Take Nephi for instance, he wanted to know what his father saw in his vision so he asked God to show him so he could understand better. He could have said to his father "hey, dad, I asked God what you saw in your vision and he showed me, but, I really don't believe it, and I'm beginning to think you're nuts." Instead, he humbled himself and respected his father as a prophet and a family head. Even after breaking his bow, Nephi asked his father where he could go to get game.
The fact that Nephi ask and received the same vision as Lehi, is evidence of the Gospel of Christ. The point you make about follow the leader round the rosary. Could be extracted and is used to support some in their claim of holiness. However the pattern of everybody is and needs to be self directed by Christ through the Holy Ghost, then later by Christ himself, is the elephant in the Gospel taught there that those who are not brainwashed see.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

Many of the ideas floating around on this forum remind me of popular evangelical beliefs, particularly on how they are saved vs. Mormons who are not. They also see baptism as a non-essential, but rather the baptism by the spirit is all that matters. So, what is the answer to this question DW? Is the N and EC being born again by the spirit?

There are many Saints on this forum claiming the same thing that evangelicals do, that they were born again when they had a spiritual manifestation of some sort. Maybe they had an all-over body feeling of warmth, usually feeling the love of God, in answer to prayer. While that is a wonderful event, of which countless LDS members have felt, I don't think this event is the sign to being born again. I believe that I was born again officially (according to Laws of Heaven) when I was baptized and received the gift of the Holy Ghost when I was 8 years old. Did I feel the spirit strongly back then and did I truly dedicate my life to doing the Lord's will? Of course not, but each week from then on, depending on how much I had progressed in my understanding and dedication to the Lord and his commandments which led me to righteousness, I continued to be born again each week when I partook of the sacrament.

My testimony grew slowly over the years and I remember as a teenager feeling peaceful after praying about the BofM, but it wasn't until I started throwing off the natural man and MY aspirations, and replaced them with what God wanted for me, that I felt I was truly being born again each week when I partook of the sacrament. I felt renewed each time I repented because my confidence was strong in the presence of the Lord. I started receiving powerful impressions and dreams that confirmed many of the doctrines found in the Church. I had been healed by the power of the priesthood. I had heard voices beyond the veil directing me to do their temple work, but all this occurred BEFORE the only two instances I can think of that I received that amazing full-body burning in the bosom feeling that was undeniable. Both times came after I felt I had been "born again" in the sense that I knew of a surety for Christ's love for me and I had dedicated my life to building up his Kingdom. Once of these full-body burnings was to confirm the Love Christ had for me, the other was a very sacred experience in the Temple confirming the Father's love for me.

So to sum it up, I think promoting this idea that to be born again is to receive a great spiritual experience is a false idea. OF COURSE that experience can and does lead individuals to turn their lives around and become true followers of Christ, but you must have the ordinances to be officially born again.

There was a vision I posted of the City Eternal, I think it was Pres. McKay who recorded it, and the inscription he saw said something like, these are they who have overcome the world, who have truly been born again. I really believe this to be true, that those who are born again are those who have overcome the world, all it's sin, all it's temptations, all its lies. Repentance is the key, baptism and confirmation are the gate. Enduring to the end the path to be born not just once, but every week, or even every day.

I

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

deep water wrote:
freedomforall wrote:
The fact that Nephi ask and received the same vision as Lehi, is evidence of the Gospel of Christ. The point you make about follow the leader round the rosary. Could be extracted and is used to support some in their claim of holiness. However the pattern of everybody is and needs to be self directed by Christ through the Holy Ghost, then later by Christ himself, is the elephant in the Gospel taught there that those who are not brainwashed see.
Oh, so you think we all are brainwashed that do not agree with your philosophy? Let's see how this plays out, shall we?
Take 3 million people, as an example, that study the scriptures on a regular basis and they all have the same understanding of it. Now take 300 people that read scripture and get a whole different message from it. Now take these same 300 people and have them going around to the 3 million others and telling them they're all brainwashed, that their point of view is like looking at an invisible elephant. They'll do anything, say anything, rant and raise cain before they'll decide that maybe, just maybe, the other 3 million are right. But pride and arrogance gets in the way and these 300 people keep looking at the non existent elephant they claim the others are seeing.
You see, those who know the gospel is true, don't have to prove it, they know by the power of the Spirit...because the Spirit bore witness to them that what they have concluded to be true...is true.

Then we have people that go to great lengths to push their own paradigm to the point of upsetting others. They quote all the stuff they can find from many decades ago, like journals and anything else except scripture, to justify their theories. Yet scripture does not corroborate all the findings. But these people don't want to see if maybe they are in error, rather, they demean and label people nasty things in an effort to gain more followers of that incorrect doctrine.

I testify that the gospel of Christ is true, that the Book of Mormon is the word of God unto us, that Lehi and Nephi were powerful prophets of God; that Lehi's vision is coming to pass every single day. I testify that the Lord's vineyard is gaining momentum in the direction of being burned; that only the Lord's true sheep will be able to abide the great and terrible day.

Those finding fault with the Book of Mormon...better be right.

2 Nephi 33:10
10 And now, my beloved brethren, and also Jew, and all ye ends of the earth, hearken unto these words and believe in Christ; and if ye believe not in these words believe in Christ. And if ye shall believe in Christ ye will believe in these words, for they are the words of Christ, and he hath given them unto me; and they teach all men that they should do good.

John 5:45-47
45 Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust.
46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me.
47 But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

Ether 4:12
12 And whatsoever thing persuadeth men to do good is of me; for good cometh of none save it be of me. I am the same that leadeth men to all good; he that will not believe my words will not believe me—that I am; and he that will not believe me will not believe the Father who sent me. For behold, I am the Father, I am the light, and the life, and the truth of the world.

Rom. 3:3–4
3 For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect?
4 God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.

Mosiah 2:32
32 But, O my people, beware lest there shall arise contentions among you, and ye list to obey the evil spirit, which was spoken of by my father Mosiah.

deep water
captain of 1,000

Post by deep water »

let's look at Lehi's run in with the unnamed prophet that told Lehi the truth and Lehi was able to see the truth preached by his mouth, and acted upon hearing that truth.
1st; That prophet had no worldly power position or authority.
2nd; The prophet received no earthly glory or notoriety for having preached to Lehi. Either Lehi wasn't even told his name or lehi understood enough Gospel that his name and fame were not even entered onto the plates.
3rd; There was no follow me, a prophet of God and hear the voice of the Lord taught to Lehi. Instead Lehi, became a prophet in his own right, then Nephi did not resign to just follow his father, but followed the pattern set by those before him, and he had observed, and became a prophet in his own right also..As did jacob also and so did Enos ect.
4th; Much focus has been put on Nephi asking his father where to go to hunt game. I am very sure my own children would ask me where to go and hunt game as I have much more experience, and it would be unwise not to ask. But also note that the building of the Boat is between the Lord and Nephi. Lehi was not involved in the spiritual gaining of instructions for construction. Yet TPTB do not bring that up, because it does not serve their purpose and design of them taking the place of the Lord in leading the sheep..
5th; I guess if they are not his sheep though, another will step in and take a leadership role, and most all will enjoy being led, until the day of their judgement. At that day there will be much gnashing of teeth. Would be good to be a dentist there and then.
6th; After Jacob, Enos gets the responsibility of recording. Enos notes that there were many prophets in the land, however he was not one of them. Then Enos tells us of his entering through the Gate and becomes one amoung many, yet in just a few years after Enos, the recorders see religion much as L&L did before them. "God makes no such thing known to us, they say".

FFA, was stumbling over a cookie crumb, of dubious and unknown origin, that enjoyable for you?

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

deep water wrote:let's look at Lehi's run in with the unnamed prophet that told Lehi the truth and Lehi was able to see the truth preached by his mouth, and acted upon hearing that truth.
1st; That prophet had no worldly power position or authority.
2nd; The prophet received no earthly glory or notoriety for having preached to Lehi. Either Lehi wasn't even told his name or lehi understood enough Gospel that his name and fame were not even entered onto the plates.
3rd; There was no follow me, a prophet of God and hear the voice of the Lord taught to Lehi. Instead Lehi, became a prophet in his own right, then Nephi did not resign to just follow his father, but followed the pattern set by those before him, and he had observed, and became a prophet in his own right also..As did jacob also and so did Enos ect.
4th; Much focus has been put on Nephi asking his father where to go to hunt game. I am very sure my own children would ask me where to go and hunt game as I have much more experience, and it would be unwise not to ask. But also note that the building of the Boat is between the Lord and Nephi. Lehi was not involved in the spiritual gaining of instructions for construction. Yet TPTB do not bring that up, because it does not serve their purpose and design of them taking the place of the Lord in leading the sheep..
5th; I guess if they are not his sheep though, another will step in and take a leadership role, and most all will enjoy being led, until the day of their judgement. At that day there will be much gnashing of teeth. Would be good to be a dentist there and then.
6th; After Jacob, Enos gets the responsibility of recording. Enos notes that there were many prophets in the land, however he was not one of them. Then Enos tells us of his entering through the Gate and becomes one amoung many, yet in just a few years after Enos, the recorders see religion much as L&L did before them. "God makes no such thing known to us, they say".

FFA, was stumbling over a cookie crumb, of dubious and unknown origin, that enjoyable for you?
Is stumbling over truth and quoting scripture out of context good for you?

1 Nephi 15:2-10
2 And it came to pass that I beheld my brethren, and they were disputing one with another concerning the things which my father had spoken unto them.
3 For he truly spake many great things unto them, which were hard to be understood, save a man should inquire of the Lord; and they being hard in their hearts, therefore they did not look unto the Lord as they ought.
4 And now I, Nephi, was grieved because of the hardness of their hearts, and also, because of the things which I had seen, and knew they must unavoidably come to pass because of the great wickedness of the children of men.
5 And it came to pass that I was overcome because of my afflictions, for I considered that mine afflictions were great above all, because of the destruction of my people, for I had beheld their fall.
6 And it came to pass that after I had received strength I spake unto my brethren, desiring to know of them the cause of their disputations.
7 And they said: Behold, we cannot understand the words which our father hath spoken concerning the natural branches of the olive tree, and also concerning the Gentiles.
8 And I said unto them: Have ye inquired of the Lord?
9 And they said unto me: We have not; for the Lord maketh no such thing known unto us.
10 Behold, I said unto them: How is it that ye do not keep the commandments of the Lord? How is it that ye will perish, because of the hardness of your hearts?

It is plain that L&L had hard hearts and did not want to ask God to know what their father was telling them. Instead they just say that they won't pray because they didn't believe God would answer them.

I suppose that makes them righteous?

Do we each have our own copy of the same book of Mormon published by the church? The message in this set of verses is so plain, even a caveman could understand it?
Last edited by freedomforall on November 15th, 2015, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deep water
captain of 1,000

Post by deep water »

Sarah wrote:Many of the ideas floating around on this forum remind me of popular evangelical beliefs, particularly on how they are saved vs. Mormons who are not. They also see baptism as a non-essential, but rather the baptism by the spirit is all that matters. So, what is the answer to this question DW? Is the N and EC being born again by the spirit?

There are many Saints on this forum claiming the same thing that evangelicals do, that they were born again when they had a spiritual manifestation of some sort. Maybe they had an all-over body feeling of warmth, usually feeling the love of God, in answer to prayer. While that is a wonderful event, of which countless LDS members have felt, I don't think this event is the sign to being born again. I believe that I was born again officially (according to Laws of Heaven) when I was baptized and received the gift of the Holy Ghost when I was 8 years old. Did I feel the spirit strongly back then and did I truly dedicate my life to doing the Lord's will? Of course not, but each week from then on, depending on how much I had progressed in my understanding and dedication to the Lord and his commandments which led me to righteousness, I continued to be born again each week when I partook of the sacrament.

My testimony grew slowly over the years and I remember as a teenager feeling peaceful after praying about the BofM, but it wasn't until I started throwing off the natural man and MY aspirations, and replaced them with what God wanted for me, that I felt I was truly being born again each week when I partook of the sacrament. I felt renewed each time I repented because my confidence was strong in the presence of the Lord. I started receiving powerful impressions and dreams that confirmed many of the doctrines found in the Church. I had been healed by the power of the priesthood. I had heard voices beyond the veil directing me to do their temple work, but all this occurred BEFORE the only two instances I can think of that I received that amazing full-body burning in the bosom feeling that was undeniable. Both times came after I felt I had been "born again" in the sense that I knew of a surety for Christ's love for me and I had dedicated my life to building up his Kingdom. Once of these full-body burnings was to confirm the Love Christ had for me, the other was a very sacred experience in the Temple confirming the Father's love for me.

So to sum it up, I think promoting this idea that to be born again is to receive a great spiritual experience is a false idea. OF COURSE that experience can and does lead individuals to turn their lives around and become true followers of Christ, but you must have the ordinances to be officially born again.

There was a vision I posted of the City Eternal, I think it was Pres. McKay who recorded it, and the inscription he saw said something like, these are they who have overcome the world, who have truly been born again. I really believe this to be true, that those who are born again are those who have overcome the world, all it's sin, all it's temptations, all its lies. Repentance is the key, baptism and confirmation are the gate. Enduring to the end the path to be born not just once, but every week, or even every day.

I
As Best as I can tell, the description of The new and everlasting covenant is simply I will be your god, if you will be my people. Or said another way born again, another way, enter through the Gate. D&C Sec 22 The same teaching found in 3 nephi Ch 11

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

deep water wrote:As Best as I can tell, the description of The new and everlasting covenant is simply I will be your god, if you will be my people. Or said another way born again, another way, enter through the Gate. D&C Sec 22 The same teaching found in 3 nephi Ch 11
On this (in red), Deep Water, I will agree to a point. However, the "I will be your god, if you will be my people" covenant was intended for the citizens of the United States. Timothy Ballard talks a lot about it in his book "American Covenant" and there are videos on Youtube showing Tim Ballard with Glenn Beck and Tim reveals how the USA has broken the Covenant with the Lord. There is also a video of Tim having a seminar and telling the audience of how Americans have turned away from God and that Covenant.

The New and Everlasting Covenant is different. John A Widtsoe tells us about it here in the article from 1945

Let's read what Bro Widtsoe had to say. https://www.lds.org/new-era/1976/02/cla ... e?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Classic Discourses from the General Authorities: A Covenant People

by Elder John A. Widtsoe of the Council of the Twelve from 1921 to his death in 1952

Reprinted from the Improvement Era, June 1945, pp. 349, 375.
SEE: https://archive.org/stream/improvemente ... ciliations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A covenant means an agreement between two or more persons. Therefore, when a member of the Church, as is frequently done, signs his letter “your brother in the covenant,” it implies that as Church members, he and others have entered into an agreement with the Lord, the head of the Church.

The existence of man on earth is evidence that he accepted, in the great pre-existent council, the terms proposed in the plan of salvation. Otherwise he would not be here. The degree to which he will enjoy the promised results of life on earth depends upon his conformity with the agreement. Only when we promise or covenant to use a gift, and then keep our covenant, does our possession blossom into life. Therefore, in all the works of God, provision is made that we must earn by obedience, in part at least, the blessings that the Lord has placed within our reach.

The first ordinance of the Church shows the necessity of this principle. A man may have faith, and may even have turned away from his past sins, yet to enter God’s kingdom on earth, he must sign, as it were, his agreement of obedience, his covenant with the Lord, to accept Jesus the Christ and the principles of his gospel by submitting to baptism. That is indeed a main meaning of baptism. This requirement was made of Adam, himself, the earthly father of the race (Moses 6:64), and is a continuing requirement of those who would participate fully in the blessings of the plan of salvation. All who do this become the covenant people of the Lord.

So important is this covenant, with the others that follow, that we are required to keep it in constant remembrance (before the coming of Christ by sacrifice) by the regular partaking of the sacrament.

Such covenants, to be valid, must be made through the Church, with its divine authority and power, known as the priesthood. (D&C 84:39.) Adam, who stood at the head of the Church in his day, was a high priest, and conferred like authority on others. Thus, from man’s early history on earth, there was ample opportunity to make these authoritative, sacred covenants with the Lord. Unfortunately, as is well known, a succession of apostasies and corruptions of eternal truth left many wandering outside the realm of the covenant people. The restoration of the gospel in our day leaves no one now with that excuse.

There came a time, centuries after Adam, when Abraham, a lover of righteousness, desired to make his covenants with the Lord, and to receive the priesthood. His forebears, who had come down a priestly line, had turned away from righteousness. He decided, therefore, to seek a place where, freed from surrounding idolatry, he might worship the Lord properly. When thus approached, the Lord made a well-known covenant with Abraham, which makes us doubly a covenant people. He said to Abraham:

“And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee above measure, and make thy name great among all nations, and thou shalt be a blessing unto thy seed after thee, that in their hands they shall bear this ministry and Priesthood unto all nations.” (Abr. 2:9. See also Gen. 17:2–7.) This promise of the Lord, which was also a call to service among the nations, was reiterated through Isaac and Jacob, Abraham’s faithful son and grandson.

The essence of the covenant thus made with Abraham was the ancient, everlasting one, that those who are obedient to God’s law shall inherit the blessings of the Lord. Because Jesus the Christ replaced the lesser law of Israel by the higher one, we now speak, for the sake of distinction, of the “new and everlasting covenant.” The word new seems to have a sense of “restored;” as in the words of the Lord to the Prophet Joseph Smith, “this is a new and everlasting covenant, even that which was from the beginning.” (D&C 22:1.)

This covenant with Abraham was also a call to leadership. Therefore, it has been interpreted to mean that Abraham and his descendants were chosen to conserve in purity and to advance on earth the eternal plan for human salvation. Consequently, the seed of Abraham are often spoken of as the chosen or covenant people.

It does not follow, however, that the mere possession of the blood of Abraham entitles a person to special privileges. No one can be accounted of the covenant people, who has not entered into the required agreement with the Lord, or having done so, does not keep his part of the covenant. A broken covenant is “void and of none effect.” (D&C 54:4.) This is made clear in a revelation to Abraham:

“As many as receive this Gospel shall be called after thy name, and shall be accounted thy seed, and shall rise up and bless thee, as their father.” (Abr. 2:10.)

That makes true kinship within the covenant race primarily of a spiritual nature. The covenant is a call to individual obedience and cleansing, and to cooperation with the Lord in blessing, if they so permit, “all nations” of earth. Those who accept the call are the true children of Abraham (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 150); they become the covenant people. Therefore, the Latter-day Saints are properly called Israel—modern Israel.

In short, those who accept the gospel, whatever their line of descent may be, and who subject themselves to its ordinances, enter the covenant and become the true people of Israel, with full claim upon the blessings bestowed upon Abraham. They become, in any age, the membership of the authoritative church of Christ. Brigham Young confirmed this view:

“All Latter-day Saints enter the new and everlasting covenant when they enter this Church. They covenant to cease sustaining, upholding and cherishing the kingdom of the Devil. … They enter the new and everlasting covenant to sustain the Kingdom of God. … They take a vow of the most solemn kind, before the heavens and earth, and that, too, upon the validity of their own salvation, that they will sustain truth and righteousness instead of wickedness and falsehood, and build up the Kingdom of God, instead of the kingdoms of this world.” (Discourses of Brigham Young [Deseret News Press, 1925], p. 160.)

The covenant with Abraham was held as a choice possession by the people of Israel, descended from Abraham through Jacob. Throughout the centuries the Israelitish prophets discussed it, and held it as an ideal and a promise before the people. Jesus the Christ, and his followers, often spoke of it. In our day the Lord again spoke of it. Indeed it runs through the whole course of the Lord’s dealings with man. It lies deep in the gospel structure. But it is an effective covenant only to those who obey God’s law, of which the covenant is part.

The children of ancient Israel were not true to the faith of their father Abraham. They are not so today. Nevertheless, the Lord has kept a part of his promise, for the accomplishment of his purposes. The descendants of Abraham did become a nation, at one time among the foremost on earth. But, later the Israelitish nation was obliterated; the tribes of Jacob have practically vanished. Nevertheless, history seems to show that by a wide scattering over the earth, Abraham’s blood may be found in every nation (see James H. Anders, The Present Time and Prophecy, or in an abbreviated form, God’s Covenant Race); and thereby, whenever the gospel is accepted, the promise of the covenant is fulfilled.

This partial fulfillment of prophecy has led many earnest people, believers in the Bible, to examine historical data, with a view of tracing the course of Israelitish blood among the nations. The British-Israel movement is foremost in the search. An impressive mass of information has been and is being gathered by them. If their findings are correct, which show the location on earth of the preponderance of Israelitish blood, then the restored gospel has been accepted most readily in the nations where the blood of Abraham is most dominant—among the British and North Europeans.

Unfortunately, many persons have become too enthusiastic and have been tempted to bend their findings to their desires, and to other matters than those contained in the covenant. Others, unacquainted with the gospel and its course on earth, have made a near religion of the search.

With the blood of Abraham in our veins, it should perhaps be easier for us to accept the gospel; but if we have none, if we are “pure gentile,” yet accept the truth of the gospel, and make the required covenants, every good thing implied in Abraham’s blessing will be ours. We are then, because of our obedience, lawful children of Abraham. (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 150.)

Latter-day Saints are called a covenant people, because, under the authority of the priesthood, they have covenanted with God, by baptism and other ordinances, to obey the requirements of the plan of salvation and to give their strength to the spread of righteousness over the world. They are further called a covenant people because they accept the gospel of Abraham, and therefore claim the blessings of the Lord’s covenant with Abraham.

We have received much in obtaining the gospel of Jesus Christ; we must give much, in personal obedience and in spreading the truth among the nations, to be a really covenant people.

Source: https://www.lds.org/new-era/1976/02/cla ... e?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
.............................................................................................................................................
From a 1995 article by Russell M Nelson we read what the Covenant is:
source: https://www.lds.org/ensign/1995/05/chil ... 1?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Abrahamic Covenant

The covenant that the Lord first made to Abraham 11 and reaffirmed to Isaac 12 and Jacob 13 is of transcendent significance. It contained several promises:

• Abraham’s posterity would be numerous, entitled to eternal increase and to bear the priesthood;
• He would become a father of many nations;
• Christ and kings would come through Abraham’s lineage;
• Certain lands would be inherited;
• All nations of the earth would be blessed by his seed;
• That covenant would be everlasting—even through “a thousand generations.” 14

14. 1 Chr. 16:15. See also Gen. 17:1–10, 19; Lev. 26:42; Acts 3:25; LDS Bible Dictionary, “Abraham, Covenant of,” p. 602

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1995/05/chil ... 05_000_017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by freedomforall on November 15th, 2015, 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bornfree
captain of 100

Post by bornfree »

"I testify that the gospel of Christ is true, that the Book of Mormon is the word of God unto us, that Lehi and Nephi were powerful prophets of God; that Lehi's vision is coming to pass every single day. I testify that the Lord's vineyard is gaining momentum in the direction of being burned; that only the Lord's true sheep will be able to abide the great and terrible day."

Amen, and amen, Freedom

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Tim Ballard — The American Covenant (One Nation Under God)
Glenn Beck w/ Timothy Ballard On Radio Book "The Covenant"America's Sacred Connection to Israel

"I will be your God, you will be my people" Start at the 2:50 mark
"The Covenant" Tim Ballard on GBTV w/ Glenn Beck

Brighidara
captain of 50

Post by Brighidara »

Jason wrote: November 4th, 2015, 8:51 pm
deep water wrote:
Melissa wrote:
deep water wrote:While discussing sec. 132 and polygamy we might as well discuss the new and everlasting covenant, polygamy. We are under condemnation until we remember BOM and the New covenant, now called the new and everlasting covenant, which is polygamy. What say yea?

The new and everlasting covenant actually includes any covenants made. It includes baptism. Look it up on lds.org
I do not take something as true, just because it is posted upon lds.org. I look at when It came about and by who and the context it came in. I, like Joseph Smith being a descendant of Joseph of old, through Ephram, I do not take teachings without questioning and searching. Why didn't Joseph just take the Bible word for word? Did God tell Joseph that the Bible was to be believed only as far as it was translated correctly, or did joseph find out upon his own that the bible and BoM read differant upon some gospel principles, and since he knew the BOM to be correct, needed to warn the masses that the Bible had misspoken messages? To just believe in man's words and not engage study and the HG, would be tying your salvation to man. Which is not recommended by God.
You have no authority...so it just comes down to opinions and personal interpretations. Nor do I.

Precisely the reason for establishment of church with priesthood keys and authority...so the house is a house of order.
Or at least it will be a house of order eventually…
D&C 85:7 And it shall come to pass that I, the Lord God, will send one mighty and strong, holding the scepter of power in his hand, clothed with light for a covering, whose mouth shall utter words, eternal words; while his bowels shall be a fountain of truth, to set in order the house of God…

For now, darkness covers the whole earth, and gross darkness the minds of the people:
D&C 112:23 Verily, verily, I say unto you, darkness covereth the earth, and gross darkness the minds of the people, and all flesh has become corrupt before my face.
24 Behold, vengeance cometh speedily upon the inhabitants of the earth, a day of wrath, a day of burning, a day of desolation, of weeping, of mourning, and of lamentation; and as a whirlwind it shall come upon all the face of the earth, saith the Lord.
25 And upon my house shall it begin, and from my house shall it go forth, saith the Lord; …