3 New Apostles Called

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
zionminded
captain of 1,000

3 New Apostles Called

Post by zionminded »

Ronald A. Rasband
Was the Senior President of the Presidency of the Seventy since 2009.

Gary E. Stevenson
Was in the First Quorum of the Seventy since 2008.

Dale G. Renlund
Was in the First Quorum of the Seventy, since 2009.

OhioState001
captain of 10

Re: 3 New Apostles Called

Post by OhioState001 »

3 rich white dudes from the seventy

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

I made it a personal goal to gain a testimony of the new apostles called today. I felt calm and peaceful, as well as a touch excited, when they were called. All the same, I look forward to hearing them speak and learning more about what they've done and taught in the past. I didn't do that the last time new apostles were called and I regret it.

BrotherOfMahonri
captain of 1,000

Post by BrotherOfMahonri »

iWriteStuff wrote:I made it a personal goal to gain a testimony of the new apostles called today. I felt calm and peaceful, as well as a touch excited, when they were called. All the same, I look forward to hearing them speak and learning more about what they've done and taught in the past. I didn't do that the last time new apostles were called and I regret it.
Please help us understand what you conclude in this.

Is the calm and peaceful with a touch of excitement feeling you had a witness from God, a testimony of truth, or an emotion of excitement to you?

I am still seeking a witness (and have faith they can be such - which statement got me disciplined and deemed unworthy to be in the temple to worship my God) that these men are who they say they are, so what is a witness to you, a witness of God vs the spirit testifying of truth taught by any man or woman on earth?

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Does anyone know of any of the words, works, or background of the above mentioned newly called apostles? I'm going to download any previous conference talks, but if there are better informed folks out there with more knowledge of them, I'd love to hear it.

To me, there always seems to be a pattern of whom Christ calls to be an apostle. Usually some special stewardship they are needed to fill. When they were called, it got me to wondering how they will be put to work in the vineyard. I can't remember which one, but one of them looked very nervous. President Eyring talked about feeling overwhelmed when he was called, first by the magnitude of the calling but also by the prayers he felt were poured out on his behalf. I'm definitely doing the same for these brethren now.

P.S. Elder Oaks' talk is awesome so far.

Curious Workman
captain of 100

Post by Curious Workman »

So we've got a former CEO of a chemical manufacturing company, a former owner of a fitness equipment company, and an M.D. sustained as PSRs. Okay, I'm down with that. Looking forward to hearing from them tomorrow.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robert Sinclair »

Ephraim for certain, in place to fulfill the word written in the scriptures, of the LORD.

May Hosea 14:8 yet be fulfilled soon.♡

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Curious Workman wrote:So we've got a former CEO of a chemical manufacturing company, a former owner of a fitness equipment company, and an M.D. sustained as PSRs. Okay, I'm down with that. Looking forward to hearing from them tomorrow.
Thanks! Anyone met any of these three?

Seeing the other apostles come over and give them hugs after the closing prayer was very precious. I can only imagine how overwhelming that just be!

Curious Workman
captain of 100

All three of the new Apostles are from Utah, a fact which is already being emphasized by the secular media. Are you surprised that there were no non-white, non-American men called?

Stourme
captain of 100

Post by Stourme »

OhioState001 wrote:3 rich white dudes from the seventy
That's inappropriate.

Stourme
captain of 100

Post by Stourme »

Curious Workman wrote:All three of the new Apostles are from Utah, a fact which is already being emphasized by the secular media. Are you surprised that there were no non-white, non-American men called?
Is the Lord Jesus Christ not PC enough for you?

Curious Workman
captain of 100

Stourme wrote:
That's inappropriate.
Which part?

Curious Workman
captain of 100

Stourme wrote:
Curious Workman wrote:All three of the new Apostles are from Utah, a fact which is already being emphasized by the secular media. Are you surprised that there were no non-white, non-American men called?
I'm just asking if anyone was expecting something different? I guess not.

Stourme
captain of 100

Post by Stourme »

Curious Workman wrote:
Stourme wrote:
I have no expectations. The Lord raised these men up for this position. I don't care who it is or where they are from. If the Lord says they are apostles, then they are apostles.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Stourme wrote:
Curious Workman wrote:
Stourme wrote:
I have no expectations. The Lord raised these men up for this position. I don't care who it is or where they are from. If the Lord says they are apostles, then they are apostles.
In the meeting after conference,a reporter asked them how they would answer the criticism that they aren't from another country or of a different skin color. I forget the exact response, but one of them said something to the effect of "we were called by the Savior. What more do you want?"

I think folks had some notions about how they THOUGHT should be chosen, forgetting that they aren't Jesus Christ, nor is it always safe to assume that He selects men based on who the PC culture thinks should be chosen. It's His church, let Him do the choosing.

OhioState001
captain of 10

Post by OhioState001 »

I don't really have criticism on the ethnicity of the chosen or where they are from. I am more concerned that the common man doesn't have the opportunity to serve as a mission president, seventy, or Q12 due to finances.

Stourme
captain of 100

Post by Stourme »

OhioState001 wrote:I don't really have criticism on the ethnicity of the chosen or where they are from. I am more concerned that the common man doesn't have the opportunity to serve as a mission president, seventy, or Q12 due to finances.
That really doesn't make any sense. Can you clarify?

OhioState001
captain of 10

Post by OhioState001 »

Stourme wrote:
OhioState001 wrote:I don't really have criticism on the ethnicity of the chosen or where they are from. I am more concerned that the common man doesn't have the opportunity to serve as a mission president, seventy, or Q12 due to finances.
It seems that pretty much all seventies and Mission Presidents have had jobs that allowed them to earn lots of money or were church employees. How many do you know that were electricians, school teachers ( not university presidents), police officers, etc...

In order to be a Mission President you need $$$$$

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

Stourme wrote:
I'll give you an example.

In Brazil I spoke with a stake President, who told me of a conversation he had with an area seventy. At this time, a new Bishop had to be called, as well as a Stake President.

He had to compile a list of all candidates. They then had to trim it down, to which mean paid tithing.they then trimmed it down to men who had gone to school and gotten some type of degree. They then trimmed it down to the men that had either a car, or a vehicle.
This was for the Bishop. Between those men, the stake President was to pray about them, and submit three names to the first presidency. Only three educated wealthy men(you are wealthy if you have a car in Brazil).
He explained that the process for the Stake President was the same, and it was a 70 that took care of this.

Also, every mission president that I know of until now, had been extremely wealthy.

I hope hat this clarifies what the previous post was attempting to say. At times it seems that a simple uneducated man simply will never hold a calling as a General Authority.

In saying this, I'm not criticizing anybody, or anything. Just Sharing a story about who this specific process works in Brazil.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

A simple uneducated man will have his calling and chance to contribute elsewhere. World leadership requires more.

OhioState001
captain of 10

Post by OhioState001 »

Elizabeth wrote:A simple uneducated man will have his calling and chance to contribute elsewhere. World leadership requires more.
Pope Francis the nightclub bouncer is doing ok for himself.

Obviously we aren't going to take a police officer and throw him into the 12. But are we giving him a fair chance to grow by being a Mission President and then a seventy? There are plenty of things we can better do to prepare worthy members to do anything.

ebenezerarise
captain of 1,000

Post by ebenezerarise »

OhioState001 wrote:
I had five mission presidents.

The first was a farmer.
The second was a school teacher.
The third was a dentist.
The fourth was a hardware store owner.
The fifth was a BYU professor who was from Mexico.

Statement debunked.

OhioState001
captain of 10

Post by OhioState001 »

ebenezerarise wrote:
OhioState001 wrote:
I had five mission presidents.

The first was a farmer.
The second was a school teacher.
The third was a dentist.
The fourth was a hardware store owner.
The fifth was a BYU professor who was from Mexico.

Statement debunked.
Dentists, store owners, and professors can't be extremely wealthy?

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

There is no shame in being extremely wealthy.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Stourme wrote:
That's inappropriate.
Oh please. Truth is truth.