Today Was A Monumental Day (Gay Marriage Ruling / The Family)

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
christian.a
captain of 100

Today Was A Monumental Day (Gay Marriage Ruling / The Family)

Post by christian.a »

Today was a monumental day politically, socially, and religiously. The part I want to discuss is the further breakdown of the family and a large stride towards the last half of paragraph 8 in The Family: A Proclamation To The World.

"We warn that individuals who violate covenants of chastity, who abuse spouse or offspring, or who fail to fulfill family responsibilities will one day stand accountable before God. Further, we warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets."

It's funny how events just seem to domino..

francisco.colaco
captain of 100

Re: Today Was A Monumental Day

Post by francisco.colaco »

Monuments are made for the dead.

christian.a
captain of 100

Post by christian.a »

The definition of monumental is great in importance, extent, or size.

LatterDayLizard
captain of 100

Post by LatterDayLizard »

I assumed this ruling was coming so my feelings have surprised me. I feel like I'm in mourning. I can't even listen to the radio, the music clashes with the atmosphere. Like a band at a funeral.

This from a facebook thread today:

"Look at today on the Hebrew Calendar. And then look on the same calendar, same date, two years ago. Both the 9th and the 17th of Tammuz are days of mourning on the Jewish Calendar due to the Babylonians (on the 9th) and the Romans (on the 17th) breaching the walls of Jerusalem on the way to destroy the Temple (which happened on the 9th of Av on both occasions). Also look at 27 June 1844 (date of the martyrdom of Joseph Smith) and you will also find it fell the day after the 9th of Tammuz. This was NOT the destruction of the Jewish nation, but it paved the way to the destruction of the Jewish nation. It is a day of mourning.
Today's SCOTUS ruling concerning Same Sex Marriage fell on the 9th of Tammuz. The walls have been breached."

BringerOfJoy
captain of 100

Post by BringerOfJoy »

LatterDayLizard wrote:I assumed this ruling was coming so my feelings have surprised me. I feel like I'm in mourning. I can't even listen to the radio, the music clashes with the atmosphere. Like a band at a funeral.
Same feeling here.

notjamesbond003.5
captain of 1,000

Post by notjamesbond003.5 »

BringerOfJoy wrote:
LatterDayLizard wrote:I assumed this ruling was coming so my feelings have surprised me. I feel like I'm in mourning. I can't even listen to the radio, the music clashes with the atmosphere. Like a band at a funeral.
Same feeling here.

same.

njb

LatterDayLizard
captain of 100

Post by LatterDayLizard »

"Now it is not common that the voice of the people desireth anything contrary to that which is right; but it is common for the lesser part of the people to desire that which is not right; therefore this shall ye observe and make it your law—to do your business by the voice of the people.

"And if the time comes that the voice of the people doth choose iniquity, then is the time that the judgments of God will come upon you; yea, then is the time he will visit you with great destruction even as he has hitherto visited this land." (Mosiah 29:26-27)

I know this was a supreme court decision, but I wonder if you took a poll today, would the people who were happy about this decision be the majority?

Oxbow
captain of 10

Post by Oxbow »

I felt physically sick when I woke up to this news, even though I knew it was coming. It was as if something had withdrawn. I believe in the promise/warning of the Family Proclamation. What could "the disintegration of the family" mean if not this? The calamities are coming.

marktheshark
captain of 100

Post by marktheshark »

"The calamities are coming."

If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear.

This whole year I have been preoccupied with the thought of preparedness, both temporally and spiritually.

Write_One
captain of 50

Post by Write_One »

LatterDayLizard wrote:"Now it is not common that the voice of the people desireth anything contrary to that which is right; but it is common for the lesser part of the people to desire that which is not right; therefore this shall ye observe and make it your law—to do your business by the voice of the people.

"And if the time comes that the voice of the people doth choose iniquity, then is the time that the judgments of God will come upon you; yea, then is the time he will visit you with great destruction even as he has hitherto visited this land." (Mosiah 29:26-27)

I know this was a supreme court decision, but I wonder if you took a poll today, would the people who were happy about this decision be the majority?
Based on what I've seen on social media, the majority are highly in favor of this ruling and are shouting down anyone who feels otherwise. The United States has reached a point of no return. God will not be mocked. I don't see how he can stay his hand much longer. I feel like the prophesied tribulations are going to poured out without measure soon.

It is a sad day for all true disciples of Christ. :(

christian.a
captain of 100

Post by christian.a »

What is sad that I see, are Christians saying that it's good this change has happened. They claim Jesus was tolerant, and now we should be too. Such a misconstrued point if you ask me. So many things are happening at once, the polarization of the U.S. is unbelievable and it's only picking up speed.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

There is however a problem with attaching God's wrath to natural or man-made calamities. How do you separate such events from the background noise of all previous events? What good will it do to have such calamities if people are unable to tell that they are associated with some action or actions.

Earthquakes, floods, wars and so on have been happening since time began. What makes the events which take place tomorrow a punishment from God where as the event that took place last week, month, year, or century not a punishment but simply an natural course of events? If we can not tell the difference between events that are meant as punishment or warnings from those that just happen over the course of history what good are such events? How do they serve to help us to repent or to take other actions?

It is as if you were to discipline your child every day for years and then suddenly decide that today your discipline was meant to communicate your displeasure over a particular event. How is your child supposed to separate all the discipline in the past from the current discipline?

samizdat
captain of 1,000

Post by samizdat »

The US Soccer Team put a picture showing a smiling bald eagle next to the words "One Nation One Team" written in the rainbow colors on their FB acct.

Write_One
captain of 50

Post by Write_One »

samizdat wrote:The US Soccer Team put a picture showing a smiling bald eagle next to the words "One Nation One Team" written in the rainbow colors on their FB acct.
Not a huge surprise. One of the US team's key midfielders, Megan Rapinoe, came out as a lesbian in 2012.

Oxbow
captain of 10

Post by Oxbow »

@gkearney I have asked myself this same question. After Christ was crucified, there was an earthquake. It caused one of the centurions to remark that, "Truly this was the son of God." If the earthquake had happened a week later, he would not have made this connection. This is another reason I believe these calamities will be starting very soon. Everyone keeps pointing to September. Maybe then?

karend77
captain of 1,000

Post by karend77 »

notjamesbond003.5 wrote:
BringerOfJoy wrote:
Same feeling here.

same.

njb

Same for me too :(

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

The events that will occur will come with such ferocity, and from so many sides, that it will leave no doubt in anyone who still believes in God, that His wrath is upon us. It will be the beginning of the making of a new Earth. Weather disasters on all fronts, riots and civil unrest everywhere, a nuclear or solar EMP, mountains leveled and valleys raised up, and anything else you can imagine. Read the Book of Mormon account that preceded Christ's coming here to the Americas. What will He do to prepare us for His Second Coming? It will be beyond imagination. There is no way to prepare except to have a close enough relationship with Him that you know where He wants you, and what He wants you to do.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

My wife has a guide dog. One of the things you learn with such an animal is that correction of an unwanted behaviour must be carried out at the time of the unwanted behaviour not some hours later as the dog will not be able to associate the correction with the behaviour and so it will do little good.

It's that way with children and with people in general. The longer the time that separates the behaviour or actions and the punishment or correction the less effective the correction will be until, like my wife's dog, it has no connection in the mind what so ever.

What are to make of events if nothing happens this September or next year, or 10, 20 or 100 years from now? Now in that time there will be natural and man made disasters, flood, storms, earthquakes and so on but if we are not able to associate them with the events then what is to be gained? People have been predicting calamities for a long time, you need only read some of the posts on these forums to see a long list of failed predictions in the recent past. In order to be meaningful we have to be able, like my wife's dog, to associate the events/punishments with the behaviour.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Seemed like a pretty normal day to me.

BringerOfJoy
captain of 100

Post by BringerOfJoy »

Lizzy60 wrote:The events that will occur will come with such ferocity, and from so many sides, that it will leave no doubt in anyone who still believes in God, that His wrath is upon us. It will be the beginning of the making of a new Earth. Weather disasters on all fronts, riots and civil unrest everywhere, a nuclear or solar EMP, mountains leveled and valleys raised up, and anything else you can imagine. Read the Book of Mormon account that preceded Christ's coming here to the Americas. What will He do to prepare us for His Second Coming? It will be beyond imagination. There is no way to prepare except to have a close enough relationship with Him that you know where He wants you, and what He wants you to do.
I suspect that's why the word "whirlwind" is used. Having lived in tornado country, those whirlwinds come out of nowhere (especially before there were effective warning systems) and smash stuff to bits. It's an interesting analogy.

karend77
captain of 1,000

Post by karend77 »

gkearney wrote: What are to make of events if nothing happens this September or next year, or 10, 20 or 100 years from now? Now in that time there will be natural and man made disasters, flood, storms, earthquakes and so on but if we are not able to associate them with the events then what is to be gained? People have been predicting calamities for a long time, you need only read some of the posts on these forums to see a long list of failed predictions in the recent past. In order to be meaningful we have to be able, like my wife's dog, to associate the events/punishments with the behaviour.
Well, I can see where things might come slower than we want/fear to allow persecution of the saints, due to the lack of action by said "saints". It will be a sifting of the wheat from the tares, and a small "I told you so" from those of us who saw it coming, tried to stop it but were too few in numbers.

I am mourning our country, it's beginnings, where we used to be. I am mourning the naivete(sp?)of those that thought tolerance was love, when "“Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.” — G.K. Chesterton"

We can watch for the signs, but "no man knoweth the day or the hour", but be like the five wise virgins and be prepared for what may come.

FYI- Our family will continue to be involved in politics, however hopeless, because we don't want to be numbered in the "lack of action" group.

myeyesareopen
captain of 50

Post by myeyesareopen »

So does anyone think that this ruling could be tied to Jade Helm at all? Which states were marked as "hostile" - Utah and texas? Just wondering if they are expecting unrest because of this....

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

ajax wrote:Seemed like a pretty normal day to me.
Yeah, and you're in loony-ville.

Cookies
captain of 100

Post by Cookies »

Oxbow wrote: What could "the disintegration of the family" mean if not this? The calamities are coming.
It could refer to divorce? Or just an all around lack of love?
Addictions seem to weaken some families, long distances, demanding jobs, busy schedules/lack of money... :-?
There are a number of things that can weaken family bonds.
Last edited by Cookies on June 26th, 2015, 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlbertaBronco
captain of 100

Post by AlbertaBronco »

ajax wrote:Seemed like a pretty normal day to me.
Only if you have no testimony of the restored gospel.