Pre Adamites

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
seeker of knowledge
captain of 10

Pre Adamites

Post by seeker of knowledge »

I just want to know what every ones thoughts are on pre adamites. I don't believe that humans came from apes or any thing. I just mean humans that lived on the earth before or during Adam's time. I know that Hugh Nibley said they could have been real. So what are your thoughts?

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Re: Pre Adamites

Post by jbalm »

I agree that they are real. I even think we might have evolved from something a bit more monkeyish than ourselves.

Whether or not Adam literally existed is the difficult question.

Riley Corvus
captain of 10

Post by Riley Corvus »

The Lord told Adam and Eve to "be fruitful and multiply and replenish the earth" implying humans have populated the earth before.

Tribunal
captain of 1,000

Post by Tribunal »

Riley Corvus wrote:The Lord told Adam and Eve to "be fruitful and multiply and replenish the earth" implying humans have populated the earth before.
Actually it doesn't imply that. The word 'replenish' in the Hebrew text is male or mala which means 'to fill'. This translates into Old English (c. 1611) as to 'fill up' or to 'replenish'. I thought the same thing for years until I studied the etymology. I still believe there were people on the earth before Adam and Eve but this verse doesn't support that.

TannerG
captain of 100

Post by TannerG »

jbalm wrote:I agree that they are real. I even think we might have evolved from something a bit more monkeyish than ourselves.

Whether or not Adam literally existed is the difficult question.
+1

marktheshark
captain of 100

Post by marktheshark »

Before Adam came into the telestial earth, the telestial earth had a long history of life. It has many stories to tell, some of which we have glimpses of through fossil records.

Adam was indeed a real person, all scripture and modern revelation supports that, without leaving any doubt. We are descendant from him.

As to the pre-adamite humanesque life forms, there is limited known evidence of anything very close to modern homo sapiens. Many ape like animals. The evidence of evolution from monkeys to modern homo sapiens really is not very strong IMO.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

Actually it is, the whole Adam and Eve story was always the worst for me, because it's really dumb. How do two people populate the earth, who did their children have sex with to make more people?!
I don't take "scripture and revelation" as proof of really anything. I trust the sciences, in saying so I wholly believe in evolution, and certainly accept the idea that if there is a divine of some sort, surely it planned evolution and put it in this direction.

Here's a quote that reminds me so much of religious people, the idea of creationism and even faith itself in some regards.

"Don't get hung up on these minor facts. Truth is about more than that, truth is a feeling in your gut that you know is true! Truth is searching for anything that proves you're right no matter how small, and holding on to that, no matter what. "

marktheshark
captain of 100

Post by marktheshark »

Sirocco wrote:Actually it is, the whole Adam and Eve story was always the worst for me, because it's really dumb. How do two people populate the earth, who did their children have sex with to make more people?!
I don't take "scripture and revelation" as proof of really anything. I trust the sciences, in saying so I wholly believe in evolution, and certainly accept the idea that if there is a divine of some sort, surely it planned evolution and put it in this direction.

Here's a quote that reminds me so much of religious people, the idea of creationism and even faith itself in some regards.

"Don't get hung up on these minor facts. Truth is about more than that, truth is a feeling in your gut that you know is true! Truth is searching for anything that proves you're right no matter how small, and holding on to that, no matter what. "
Honest question:

As an atheist, what is your purpose in being on this forum?

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

Oh I'm not an Atheist, I would consider such thing to be foolish, as if I knew there was no divine!
I certainly believe there is one. Personally I don't think it cares about me one way or another, though it could care for you, I have no idea.
Now while I may not subscribe to the idea of prophets or saviours I do think there is a lot of wisdom to be had from scripture or these men. I watch General Conference, read often, and ponder a great many things.
It's just done in a very bizarre way.

Like to me, evolution and the cosmos is the biggest proof a divine exists, something so intricate and grand and ancient, it's wondrous to me in every way.
But I don't pray to that creator or wonder if it dislikes my coffee drinking or fornication, or whatever.
I find a lot of what the LDS church to be good, and a lot I greatly disagree with.
To me scripture is about teaching a lesson, not a literal history or science, I get so much more out of it when I look at it that way.

But in the end I could be totally wrong, Jesus could come tomorrow and say "oh yeah it really was this way, I am the son of God not just a man as you thought" and I'd be the first one to admit being wrong.
You can't learn without seeing the other views.
I can't grow as a person if I shut myself off and only have my ideas surrounding me.

RyanK
captain of 100

Post by RyanK »

seeker of knowledge wrote:I just want to know what every ones thoughts are on pre adamites. I don't believe that humans came from apes or any thing. I just mean humans that lived on the earth before or during Adam's time. I know that Hugh Nibley said they could have been real. So what are your thoughts?
I found this resource very informational and instructive:
http://www.josephsmithforum.org/researc ... y/science/

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Sirocco wrote:But I don't pray to that creator or wonder if it dislikes my coffee drinking or fornication, or whatever.
He's watching and taking notes of the sordid details Sirocco. :D

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

ajax wrote:
Sirocco wrote:But I don't pray to that creator or wonder if it dislikes my coffee drinking or fornication, or whatever.
You're thinking of Santa.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

ajax wrote:
Well he'll have to, I ain't going to one of his "go to guys" lol

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

There were Neanderthal. Adam was not descended from them. The Bible and genetic anthropology says that Man and Neanderthal mixed creating hybrids (Cro-magnon or Giants).

This is only important because some would gave people believe the Bible says angels or aliens mingled with man. Neither is true.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

jbalm wrote:
ajax wrote:
What's the dif?

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

davedan wrote:There were Neanderthal. Adam was not descended from them. The Bible and genetic anthropology says that Man and Neanderthal mixed creating hybrids (Cro-magnon or Giants).

This is only important because some would gave people believe the Bible says angels or aliens mingled with man. Neither is true.
They are a relative of us but we killed them, mostly.
We do that a lot, there were a lot of other humanoids but we either interbred with them, or killed them. Or both.

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

davedan wrote:There were Neanderthal. Adam was not descended from them. The Bible and genetic anthropology says that Man and Neanderthal mixed creating hybrids (Cro-magnon or Giants).

But neanderthals became extinct about 40,000 years ago. So there were about 34,000 years worth of pre-Adamite homo sapiens.

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

ajax wrote:
jbalm wrote:
ajax wrote: He's watching and taking notes of the sordid details Sirocco. :D
What's the dif?
Varying degrees of jolliness.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

jbalm wrote:

But neanderthals became extinct about 40,000 years ago. So there were about 34,000 years worth of pre-Adamite homo sapiens.

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

Uncle Rog?

triple777
captain of 100

Post by triple777 »

If you don't know if Adam was real then you are lost.

That is the same as saying God is not real and his Son Jesus Christ is not real.

5000 post and you have no idea if Adam was real. Please delete account and move on, stop persecuting Christ Church. I feel for any real people on here trying to get real answers.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

jbalm wrote:

How do you know? :-B

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

SmallFarm wrote:
jbalm wrote:

How do you know? :-B

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

triple777 wrote:If you don't know if Adam was real then you are lost.

That is the same as saying God is not real and his Son Jesus Christ is not real.

5000 post and you have no idea if Adam was real. Please delete account and move on, stop persecuting Christ Church. I feel for any real people on here trying to get real answers.
Last edited by Sirocco on May 12th, 2015, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

triple777 wrote:If you don't know if Adam was real then you are lost.

Awwww....jpg
Awwww....jpg (4.68 KiB) Viewed 4105 times