Apostle says it's okay to support gay marriage

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Re: Re:

Post by A Random Phrase »

marc wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:Hypocrite.
Much anger I sense in you. Anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering....
I agree. And, though I'm having a great deal of fun here, I really wish she would relax and let go. My karma warnings were out of genuine concern for her.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Double hypocrite... in fact triple triple triple

samizdat
captain of 1,000

Re: Apostle says it's okay to support gay marriage

Post by samizdat »

Elizabeth: Huh?

Random Phrase: Huh?

On this subject, what Elder Christofferson said was basically the Church isn't going to go after you if you support gay marriage. He reaffirmed what the Church thinks on the matter of same sex marriage, as did the First Presidency letter in the wake of the SCOTUS decision.

It's okay, if you want to scrape the bottom of the barrel.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

samizdat wrote:Elizabeth: Huh?

Random Phrase: Huh?
Yeah, I've given up on that back and forth. Was in a funnin' mood and she was in a surly mood. Not a good fit.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Re: Re:

Post by Sirocco »

jbalm wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:Do not bother, nor presume you have any right to do so. I am more than fed up with your continual smart alec personal attacks! Changing my words to your own and posting under my name is a new low even for you !!!!!!
A Random Phrase wrote: Let me fix that for you, luv.
I bet you're real fun at parties.
Not someone I'd want at a kegger

:))

I mean uh... coffee social... high tea?... 420 party?... sharing a few cigars in the study...

lemonade

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

Backing marriage equality on social media sites, including on Facebook or Twitter, "is not an organized effort to attack our effort," Christofferson said in the interview, "or our functioning as a church."
I think the church better tell the apostles quickly that retweeting and Facebook Liking is equivalent to showing support by promoting a group or individual. I still don't think they completely understand the implications and impact of retweeting and Facebook Liking. If they are making an original post themselves and it's supporting gay marriage, I don't understand how that's not against church doctrine.

The FBI also thinks this way as well as they just said retweeting can get you arrested now.
http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/07/fbi- ... -arrested/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

carbon dioxide
captain of 100

Post by carbon dioxide »

The moral and religious side of me will always oppose gay marriage. The libertarian side of me does not have a big problem with it. I think an LDS person can morally oppose it while believing that gays have a right to enjoy the same rights and benefits that heterosexuals have.

There are other areas in my life where this balance occurs. I am personally against the abuse of drugs. I think anyone who uses cocaine or pot is stupid. I also believe that people have a right to put whatever they want into their own body. The government does not own our bodies. They have no right to tell us what we can or can not put in our bodies. If I want to inject bleach into my veins, that is my right. I also have the obligation to accept the consequences of that.

If we really believe in agency, that means people have the right to choose wickedness. As long as their actions do not affect the agency of others, the government should allow them to do what they want. So I believe an LDS can support gay marriage in terms of the civil law of man while rejecting it on the moral law that God is over. Many sins we do are legal and it should be that way in America.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

If participants in marriage are very happy, then they are by definition...gay. So why not support it?
It's the carnally, ungodlike sexual orientation that is problematic. Tent cities may be in real trouble now. :D

light-one
captain of 100

Post by light-one »

The gay agenda:

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

you lost me at Illuminati.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

This thread title continues to give a false impression and an annoyance. Thread titles should be censored.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

A little more information on how retweeting according to the FBI is an endorsement in the eyes of the law now. I said this earlier though, retweeting a supportive message about gay marriage is an endorsement.
...a retweet can be seen as an endorsement. It can also apparently be used as evidence that you’re trying to join ISIS.
http://gizmodo.com/the-fbi-says-retweet ... 1731526051" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Re:

Post by Sirocco »

Elizabeth wrote:This thread title continues to give a false impression and an annoyance. Thread titles should be censored.
Cause nothing says freedom like censorship

Jesef
captain of 1,000

Post by Jesef »

I think the freedom lies in which group (and groupthink) you choose to participate in and not curtailing the freedom to form and participate in such groups.

Jesef
captain of 1,000

Post by Jesef »

The title would be more accurate and truthful if it said something like, "LDS Apostle says the Church will tolerate (not discipline) members who agree with gay marriage and even express it publicly on social media"

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

So, I started this thread less than 5 years ago.

Where are we now? We have temple-recommend-holding members of the Church who are openly advocating for full acceptance of all things LGBTQ, including temple sealings, in the LDS Church.

I have not found a single account of any of these people facing any Church discipline. They are producing essays, podcasts, and YouTube videos. They have formed specialized LDS LGBTQ Ally groups that are so numerous, I've lost count. They have written books that explain away scripture on homosexuality, teaching that the scriptures are misinterpreted. And on, and on, and on.

They are Bishops, RS Presidents, YM and YW teachers, Primary teachers. They wear Pride swag to Church to announce their beliefs to others. They hold special Sunday Schools, and firesides, and Mutual for their LGBTQ friends and children.

So for those of you, who early on in this thread, thought I was misunderstanding or misinterpreting, or exaggerating the damage I felt would be caused by Elder Christofferson's public statement to the church and to the press, well, that stupid camel has just about taken over the tent. Someone is going to have to get out at some point. It's not a Big Tent, this Mormonism stuff.

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Lizzy60 wrote: February 17th, 2020, 5:29 pm So, I started this thread less than 5 years ago.

Where are we now? We have temple-recommend-holding members of the Church who are openly advocating for full acceptance of all things LGBTQ, including temple sealings, in the LDS Church.

I have not found a single account of any of these people facing any Church discipline. They are producing essays, podcasts, and YouTube videos. They have formed specialized LDS LGBTQ Ally groups that are so numerous, I've lost count. They have written books that explain away scripture on homosexuality, teaching that the scriptures are misinterpreted. And on, and on, and on.

They are Bishops, RS Presidents, YM and YW teachers, Primary teachers. They wear Pride swag to Church to announce their beliefs to others. They hold special Sunday Schools, and firesides, and Mutual for their LGBTQ friends and children.

So for those of you, who early on in this thread, thought I was misunderstanding or misinterpreting, or exaggerating the damage I felt would be caused by Elder Christofferson's public statement to the church and to the press, well, that stupid camel has just about taken over the tent. Someone is going to have to get out at some point. It's not a Big Tent, this Mormonism stuff.
Conference Report, Marion G. Romney, October 1977

In America two great civilizations, the Jaredite and the Nephite, were completely annihilated because of their rejection of the laws of righteousness which God revealed unto them.
In both cases, the Lord, through His prophets, pointed out their iniquities, warned them, and predicted their destruction if they did not repent. This they did not do. Consequently they were totally destroyed.
We today are approaching the close of a similar cycle. We have been warned that we are ripening in iniquity and that we will be destroyed if we do not repent.
This goes for misguided leaders as well.

Trucker
captain of 1,000

Post by Trucker »

Lizzy60 wrote: February 17th, 2020, 5:29 pm So, I started this thread less than 5 years ago.

Yeah but at least they're not racist, the ultimate modern sin ( : \

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

We need a new organisation... Mormons Burning Bridges...

There's a guy I know in Church who now claims he's gay and transgender. No you aren't, you've been going after women ever since I met you mate, not men!!!!

How about we just call a spade a spade - homosexuality is a LEARNED behaviour, it is not inborn, it isn't genetic, it's a learned trait. 100 years ago this incessant madness was not occurring because it wasn't being shoved in your face every 0.5 seconds.

When are we gonna stand up guys? What is it going to take? Sodomites in the Temple? Transgender General Authorities? 'The Family: a woke proclamation to the world'?

Homosexuality is a demonic, evil and downright perverted behaviour. Never mind causing offence. We can't afford to give an inch of compromise at this point, because they take a damn mile, and you know the rest...

I think it was Lizzy60 who said on another post, there's no room in the Church for unrepentant homosexuals to spread their ways around, claiming it's divinely approved of by God. Because it's not. It's just wrong.

"The show of their countenance doth witness against them, and doth declare their sin to be even as Sodom, and they cannot hide it. Wo unto their souls, for they have rewarded evil unto themselves!" (2 Nephi 13:9/Isaiah 3:9)

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Luke wrote: February 18th, 2020, 12:46 am We need a new organisation... Mormons Burning Bridges...

There's a guy I know in Church who now claims he's gay and transgender. No you aren't, you've been going after women ever since I met you mate, not men!!!!

How about we just call a spade a spade - homosexuality is a LEARNED behaviour, it is not inborn, it isn't genetic, it's a learned trait. 100 years ago this incessant madness was not occurring because it wasn't being shoved in your face every 0.5 seconds.

When are we gonna stand up guys? What is it going to take? Sodomites in the Temple? Transgender General Authorities? 'The Family: a woke proclamation to the world'?

Homosexuality is a demonic, evil and downright perverted behaviour. Never mind causing offence. We can't afford to give an inch of compromise at this point, because they take a damn mile, and you know the rest...

I think it was Lizzy60 who said on another post, there's no room in the Church for unrepentant homosexuals to spread their ways around, claiming it's divinely approved of by God. Because it's not. It's just wrong.

"The show of their countenance doth witness against them, and doth declare their sin to be even as Sodom, and they cannot hide it. Wo unto their souls, for they have rewarded evil unto themselves!" (2 Nephi 13:9/Isaiah 3:9)
I couldn't agree more.
My brother-in-law is homosexual. Apparently has been since birth (yeah... right!).
Didn't stop him marrying my sister and fathering 5 children with her though. Then he "comes out" (well, was outed if you know what I mean) and now goes around giving firesides and presentations about how hurt he's been because when he was a young man in the church he was taught that homosexuality was an abomination. He turns on the tears and everyone hugs him and tells him he's so brave etc.
Meanwhile, my sister is slowly dying inside.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Robin Hood wrote: February 18th, 2020, 2:09 am
Luke wrote: February 18th, 2020, 12:46 am We need a new organisation... Mormons Burning Bridges...

I couldn't agree more.
My brother-in-law is homosexual. Apparently has been since birth (yeah... right!).
Didn't stop him marrying my sister and fathering 5 children with her though. Then he "comes out" (well, was outed if you know what I mean) and now goes around giving firesides and presentations about how hurt he's been because when he was a young man in the church he was taught that homosexuality was an abomination. He turns on the tears and everyone hugs him and tells him he's so brave etc.
I have family who are gay, transgender, etc... and it's all nonsense. Like seriously chatting breeze. It's the influence of their friendship circles who all seem to be gay, hmm...

The tears and emotion from people like your brother-in-law and all the rest of them is ridiculous. Cry me a damn river my guy, no-one cares that you were told that you abominable behaviour is... abominable!

It's like Philip (Phillis) Schofield claiming he's gay... you've been married to a woman for three decades you absolute goon.

pho·to·syn·the·sis
captain of 100

Post by pho·to·syn·the·sis »

Robin Hood wrote: February 18th, 2020, 2:09 am

I couldn't agree more.
Sorry to hear that mate. I have seen this a few times. The spouse takes the brunt and burden of their "coming out". Then, saying what great "co-parents" they make. And then expose their children and spouse to this filthiness. They split hell wide open.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

(knocks on wood)

fairly insulated here in the south so far....all the pro-gay folks have simply gone inactive. And there are a few.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

mudflap wrote: February 18th, 2020, 8:33 am (knocks on wood)

fairly insulated here in the south so far....all the pro-gay folks have simply gone inactive. And there are a few.
I haven't seen anything that causes me concern in my Stake (although my interaction is less than it used to be because of health issues) but there was a current Bishop who posted on Mormons Building Bridges that he discusses LGBTQ inclusion with the other Bishops in his stake and that they are doing everything they can to help LGBTQ folks feel included, and not feel like sinners, no matter what their dating/marriage plans are. He lives 30 miles from my stake. His area is one that has grown a lot in recent years with lots of people moving in, whereas my stake has stayed more stable over that timeframe.

johnBob
captain of 100

Post by johnBob »

Lizzy60 wrote: February 18th, 2020, 8:39 am
mudflap wrote: February 18th, 2020, 8:33 am (knocks on wood)

I haven't seen anything that causes me concern in my Stake (although my interaction is less than it used to be because of health issues) but there was a current Bishop who posted on Mormons Building Bridges that he discusses LGBTQ inclusion with the other Bishops in his stake and that they are doing everything they can to help LGBTQ folks feel included, and not feel like sinners, no matter what their dating/marriage plans are. He lives 30 miles from my stake. His area is one that has grown a lot in recent years with lots of people moving in, whereas my stake has stayed more stable over that timeframe.
And you have no idea what the back-channels are. When they get together for Area trainings . .what happens?