Apostle says it's okay to support gay marriage

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
briznian
captain of 100

Re: Apostle says it's okay to support gay marriage

Post by briznian »

Tony wrote:
briznian wrote:
Tony wrote:President Monson has the keys and the authority; you do not have the keys nor the authority.

LOLZ, in other words: "Sit down and shut up because KEYS!"
You accurately characterized Satan's view of keys and authority.
Yep. And guess what...its your view, not mine.

I used to be just like you Tony. "Defender of the Faith". Then I realized that I was just a big A-hole. I turned way more people away from the gospel back then. There are relationships that I'm not sure I will ever get back because of my dogmatic way of presenting the gospel...which was just like yours.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

A Random Phrase wrote:Tony, I find it interesting how you word most of your posts.

Nearly everything is a "statement of fact," as though you have spent years in God's presence and in the devil's presence. You come off as an authority on everything religious.

I don't believe I've ever seen you word things in such a way as, "I believe," or "I think," or "I see it this way" or "my experience/research leads me to believe."

It is pretty much always a black and white statement. This IS the way God is. This IS the way the devil is. This IS the way the Church is. No room for anything except your opinion being perfectly 100% infallible.

I find it to be quite the interesting phenomenon.
I see that a lot here, always starts with "I know...". No one ever wants to consider any other view but their own.
A big reason I am here is to challenge my own views, and I do it often, but I wonder why others are here, like whenever any subject about same sex marriage comes up, people just keep saying the same things, over and over...
What's the point?

Simon
captain of 1,000

Post by Simon »

Lizzy60 wrote:Saying that we support the law of the land, and therefore we support ABORTION and gay marriage, is totally, absolutely, unequivocally WRONG.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, on every level. And if The Church tells us any different, they will be damning themselves to hell.
All that doubt your words need to read D&C. It makes clear that we are only to support the laws of the land as long as they represent rightousness, freedom and what is good before God.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

This is a pro LDS Forum Sirocco, and you are not a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, The Eternal Gospel of Jesus Christ is constant, it is not open to negotiation by mere mortals. Eternal truths do not change.
Sirocco wrote: ... A big reason I am here is to challenge my own views, and I do it often, but I wonder why others are here, like whenever any subject about same sex marriage comes up, people just keep saying the same things, over and over...
What's the point?

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

Thing is, many things that were at one time thought to be eternal truths have changed (see my sig line, for example).

So let the negotiations continue.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

briznian wrote:
Tony wrote:
briznian wrote:
Tony wrote:President Monson has the keys and the authority; you do not have the keys nor the authority.

LOLZ, in other words: "Sit down and shut up because KEYS!"
You accurately characterized Satan's view of keys and authority.
Yep. And guess what...its your view, not mine.

I used to be just like you Tony. "Defender of the Faith". Then I realized that I was just a big A-hole. I turned way more people away from the gospel back then. There are relationships that I'm not sure I will ever get back because of my dogmatic way of presenting the gospel...which was just like yours.
Briz - I USED to be a big A HOLE, too, in the exact same way. Fortunately, my wife was able to look past my A HOLE-EDNESS, or I would have ended up losing her, too.
Best post of the week (but admittedly, I've been "offline" more, lately, so I might have missed something else, too).

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Elizabeth wrote:This is a pro LDS Forum Sirocco, and you are not a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, The Eternal Gospel of Jesus Christ is constant, it is not open to negotiation by mere mortals. Eternal truths do not change.
Sirocco wrote: ... A big reason I am here is to challenge my own views, and I do it often, but I wonder why others are here, like whenever any subject about same sex marriage comes up, people just keep saying the same things, over and over...
What's the point?
So, obviously Sirocco could never have a valid point about anything LDS, because he is not LDS? That's nonsensical nonsense.
As a comparison, how do you think you could ever know Jesus, since He's a man? Using your logic, unless you are one you can't understand one. Sad day for you, Elizabeth...

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

marc wrote:Image

Is it me or is it The New Era magazine cover a coincidence?

Wow, I don't read the New Era either. Was there a pro-homo article in that magazine?
Coincidence...no.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

Sirocco wrote:I see that a lot here, always starts with "I know...". No one ever wants to consider any other view but their own.
Yes. It is around here quite a bit. I've seen myself do it, too (hopefully not as black and white and absolute as Tony comes across, though). I try to be open, though. The more I learn, the more I see that I don't really know anything.
Sirocco wrote:A big reason I am here is to challenge my own views, and I do it often, but I wonder why others are here, like whenever any subject about same sex marriage comes up, people just keep saying the same things, over and over...
What's the point?
That's a good reason to be here (or on any forum). And, yeah, the same subjects - especially tithing, polygamy, and -for a while- City Creek Mall. *insert beating a dead horse emoticon*
Last edited by A Random Phrase on July 11th, 2015, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

I guess people go through phases.

I hope some more interesting things are down the line.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Sirocco wrote:I guess people go through phases.

I hope some more interesting things are down the line.
This forum definitely goes through phases.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

I do think a lot of people are a bit too end times keen.
And I always shake my head when people make predictions, they're always wrong... So I am gonna collect the dates, and when they come take a picture of myself having a party or something. lol

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

A private forum called AVOW (Another Voice of Warning) had a thread or forum where they kept track of all the prophecies and how many actually happened. The success rate was practically zero.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

I wonder where people get these dates from, sometimes its like moon phases and star alignments... a lot of astrology stuff bizarrely.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

I think they also get them from the Bible, using whatever math makes sense to them.

And they get them from what people say - like Pres Hinckley once talked about the pharoah's dream about the 7 lean years and the 7 fat ones. For the next several years, AVOW forum was all over that as if Pres H had prophesied that there were going to be 7 good years and 7 bad ones, when he Specifically said he was NOT prophesying anything.

And they, especially AVOW, get them from people's dreams, premonitions, and feelings.

And any reported dreams or prophecies by Church leaders from earlier days (George Albert Smith prophecy is on this forum somewhere, and I think there may be one about a dream Wilford Woodruff was supposed to have had).

So, it comes from a lot of places. (Including rumors, like when 2000 came, planes were supposed to fall out of the sky and a whole lot of other things - because computers would think that 2000 was 1900, 2001 would mean 1901, and so forth.)

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

So who's dreams, like mean things and who's don't?
I have lots of dreams.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

BYU. "13,000 youth coming together to celebrate the opening of a temple of God on the earth!! It doesn't get more inspiring than that!"

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
y.jpg
y.jpg (83.02 KiB) Viewed 1200 times

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Timing is everything!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

First the New Era magazine, now this. Two coincidences? I need to look up the word coincidence in the dictionary again.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

:-o

Pres. Monson said there is no such thing as coincidences. So again I say.... :-o

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Coincidence?
rainbow.jpg
rainbow.jpg (91.27 KiB) Viewed 1149 times

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

LOL

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

As we are all well aware, the hijacking of colours by the Sodomites / Homosexuals was not consented to by the rest of the world. Nor do they now, nor will they ever have exclusive rights to their use and enjoyment.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Well, 13,000 youth had no problem hijacking them for the temple celebration at BYU. Mormon youth. Temple celebration. BYU.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

That was not "hijacking".