How to tell if you are being "moved upon by the Holy Ghost"

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Cookies
captain of 100

How to tell if you are being "moved upon by the Holy Ghost"

Post by Cookies »

I don't know. Do you? :)

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: How to tell if you are being "moved upon by the Holy Gho

Post by shadow »

Flu-like symptoms, from what I hear.
We know tears are just emotions, like when little ann dies on old dans grave.

:-s

brrgilbert
captain of 100

Post by brrgilbert »

:)
Last edited by brrgilbert on January 16th, 2015, 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bryan LJ
captain of 100

Post by Bryan LJ »

Great topic Cookies!!! IMO this is one of the most important topics to study.

"The Spirit of Revelation is in connection with these blessings. A person may profit by noticing the first intimation of the spirit of revelation; for instance, when you feel pure intelligence flowing into you, it may give you sudden strokes of ideas, so that by noticing it, you may find it fulfilled the same day or soon; (i.e.,) those things that were presented unto your minds by the Spirit of God, will come to pass; and thus by learning the Spirit of God and understanding it, you may grow into the principle of revelation, until you become perfect in Christ Jesus." (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p.151)

One of the ways I tell is when the impression comes, and it comes in clarity and it isn't necessarily something that I personally want to do.

Phoenixstar117
captain of 100

Post by Phoenixstar117 »

This is just me personally, but it's when things fall in place in my head. Like the feeling of inspiration, the A-ha moment.

FSM
captain of 100

Post by FSM »

Personally, I don't feel the holy ghost. I wanted to but couldn't. For now I feel more liberated. I can't count on it so I had to live my life the best I can. I can't help to wonder when I pray if anyone is listening. The strange thing is I don't feel guilt for admiring it.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robert Sinclair »

Write a book report on all the things Jesus Christ has said to do, and all the ways Jesus Christ has said to be like, and all the things Jesus Christ has said to know.

Then next time someone steals from you and you just let it go willingly you will know you are going against the teachings of men but willingly following Jesus Christ.

When someone hurts you or speaks evil against you, harm or venomous words are not returned to those who would harm you or speak evil of you.

Bit by bit, line by line of the words of Jesus Christ follow until your spirit easily follows the promptings of his words.

You will see that you need to hold on fast to his words as the teachings of men do not follow many of his words and teachings.

You follow his words until you are completely submerged in them, without a toe sticking out of his words you do not know, to the point where you will willingly will suffer death in the most aggravating and distressing manner that could be inflicted upon you, showing forth loving kindness, and forgiveness in return, and you will know and be following the Holy Spirit of God. Yes, to the tree of life and have overcome the Beast of ignorance spoken of in the book of Revelation, and have your name written in the book of life, and have offered unto you entrance into the Holy City of God and the marriage supper of the Lamb of God.

How much better does it get than this?

Save you ask before entering if it's possible that you be allowed to help others in as well, and you are allowed to so do. ♡ :)

clarkkent14
LBFOJ

Post by clarkkent14 »

Here is a great article to consider: Feeling, and Fooling, the Spirit

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robert Sinclair »

This much I can tell you that my wife is very in tune to promptings regarding our children. When our children were in a room with another child who pulled out a loaded gun from between her parents mattresses and was pointing it at our children as well as others, she grabbed hold of me that day when there was no way we could have known this, and with desperation in her voice said we needed to get on our knees and pray for our children right now! I listened to her and knew something wasn't right and immediately fell on our knees praying for our children. The gun being pointed at our children and others went off and killed a young boy in the room at that very time.

Although this had nothing to do with knowledge of all the words of Jesus Christ it was as real as promptings could be to pray immediately for our children who were not harmed when another was shot right through the heart.

Our children told us she had pointed the gun at their chests one by one but pulled the trigger when she was pointing away from them and at the other child.

My wife is also the one who was moved upon to one day give everything away in our home except for some clothes and blankets and pillows one day to a poor family, that humbled me to my knees and the dust, as it were, that she was far more righteous than I.

She is moved upon in ways I am humbled by and am ever grateful for in ways that are not only by knowing all of the words of Jesus Christ so I confess that I need to be far more than I am in tune to promptings regarding matters one cannot be explained otherwise than by being in tune to listen to these promptings of these guardian angels that surround us and watch over us and our children.

As far as how one can know these things for sure, my wife is better at listening than me in things that still to this day I am grateful for, she is a perfect help meet to many of these promptings and she is far more prayerfully seeking his protection for our family, on especially a daily basis for our children, for many years now.

Prayer to Heavenly Father is definitely a good way to stay in touch and in tune to promptings by the Holy Ghost. ♡ :)

I have read that fasting often helps as well as prayer, and is something that I truly believe and know, that I myself am in great need of as Jesus Christ has said to do. ♡ :)

There were other times when one of our small daughters had gotten through a fence around a swimming pool and had fallen in the water that my wife was warned to go to the pool and look for her and saved her just in the nick of time and other times on other occasions for our children, as well, so definitely her daily prayers for our children keep her in tune to know when prompted by the Holy Ghost or Spirit. ♡ :)

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

A peaceful positive feeling and knowledge.

kenh
captain of 100

Post by kenh »

I appreciate this thread. When I feel the Holy Ghost influencing me, I feel I have a clear understanding of what I need to say and do. I feel peace and reassurance that what I need to say and do is absolutely correct. I feel a burning in my bosom that feels my entire soul with joy and peace. I know that I am not causing these feelings myself, for it happens without me hoping it would happen, but it just happens. Satan cannot fill us with joy and peace, for they are foreign to him. When my mind is clouded and I am uncertain as to what to say or do then I know that I need to call upon God for inspiration.
As a side note, nothing is too trivial to God. He has used understanding events that are about to happen to teach me to recognize the influence of the Holy Ghost. Here is one of many examples. I was at a Mormon night at Dodger stadium a few years ago and it was a tie game at the bottom of the ninth and the Dodgers had a man on second base. I told my daughter that it was time to leave and she wondered why. I said this batter will hit a base hit to left center field and the runner on second will score the winning run. As we reached the stairs to descend to start leaving the area where our ward had been watching the game, the batter did as I said he would do and the game ended that way. It is a gift to know things that are about to happen and it can only be used properly by the power of the Holy Ghost. God uses things that we are familiar with to teach us how to recognize and develop the spirit of revelation in our lives. This type of thing mentioned above happens a lot of the time. Heavenly Father knows all and loves each of us and grateful am I for such gifts and blessings. :)

Tribunal
captain of 1,000

Post by Tribunal »

Phoenixstar117 wrote:This is just me personally, but it's when things fall in place in my head. Like the feeling of inspiration, the A-ha moment.
That's my experience exactly. If everything is falling into place, and it feels right, then that is the direction to go. If I'm at peace with my decision then that experience is one to fall back on when I approach the next fork in the road.

Cookies
captain of 100

Post by Cookies »

FSM wrote:Personally, I don't feel the holy ghost.
...And do people always tell you "You do too feel the Holy Ghost! You just aren't recognizing it!"

I get told that a lot. Apparently my one sure method of communicating with heaven is incredibly hard for me to recognize.
:-?? All I can do is my best.

Cookies
captain of 100

Post by Cookies »

Muerte Rosa wrote:It's because you're evil cookies. ;) DUH
Who ever heard of evil cookies!? Everybody loves cookies... :ymdevil:

Your link isn't working.

Cookies
captain of 100

Post by Cookies »

Muerte, Is it called Teaching and Learning by the spirit? The link is not working.

TannerG
captain of 100

Post by TannerG »

Pure intelligence. All of a sudden the swirling mass of ideas forms into pure understanding and I know the thing in a manner that makes me feel like I truly knew nothing about it before.

braingrunt
captain of 1,000

Post by braingrunt »

usually you should expect your relationship with God and your understanding of truth to evolve "line upon line". As this is a scriptural concept, each person should try to progress carefully from where they are right now. If it is right in God's own will and timing, maybe He'll speed things up with you for a time; but IMO you should have the audacity to question even God, if He challenges your current understanding... as did nephi.

Study scripture. prayerfully add to, or slightly modify, your understanding--that which FEELS the most right and which you THINK fits. Evaluate each new thought or idea against your current understanding, and if it doesn't attract you or doesn't fit harmoniously in your current understanding, return it like a bad purchase. You can always reconsider it in the future.

minorityofone
captain of 100

Post by minorityofone »

Cookies and FSM

That is beautiful. So much respect for you and what you are saying. Many people experience all the same things you do and believe they ARE experiencing the Holy Ghost and you guys are better off acknowledging that you aren't feeling anything.

According to the scriptures (summarizing) the way you will know if the Holy Ghost is moving upon you is because the Holy Ghost will be moving upon you.
That is circular reasoning right? But if the Holy Ghost is as powerful as the scriptures state, and can actually do what Jesus claims He will do, then when the Holy Ghost moves upon a person that person will KNOW. There will be no wondering or doubt. It will not be just a thought that seems right. The Holy Ghost carries power to make someone know something in such a way that they know it better than of they witnessed it physically with their eyes and other senses of the body. This is the role of the Holy Ghost.
Unfortunately the operation of the Holy Ghost has been pretty much inactive and revelations have been coming far and few between on this earth since the fulness of the priesthood was lost a long time ago. People all over the world in many religions fancy themselves to have such power when in all reality they are denying the power of the Holy Ghost by equating it to good thoughts and feelings and the powers of the human brain (which are quite incredible) when men and women are filled with the Holy Ghost like those in scripture they will have the power to bring thousands of souls to Christ. Right now not a soul has the power to lay hands on another and bestow the Holy Ghost upon them at that moment. NOT ONE SOUL

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

when feel urged to speak/say opinion and then speak/say opinion in the discussion of sunday school/priesthood class etc.

"32 Verily, verily, I say unto you, as I said unto my disciples, where two or three are gathered together in my name, as touching one thing, behold, there will I be in the midst of them even so am I in the midst of you.
"(d&c 6)

"12 To some is given one, and to some is given another, that all may be profited thereby.
"(d&c 46)
:-B

John Adams
captain of 1,000

Post by John Adams »

clarkkent14 wrote:Here is a great article to consider: Feeling, and Fooling, the Spirit
Thanks for sharing. I think learning how the Holy Ghost communicates to us is an ongoing process, but I do appreciate the reminder in this article that Satan is out there as well trying to manipulate some of our feelings; so we do need to be careful of thinking that emotions/feelings are always the Holy Ghost.

One of my favorite scriptures that is an example of this is when Christ tells Peter to "get thee behind me Satan" (Matthew 16:23) - Peter wasn't Satan, but Peter was following his emotions (actually from fairly good intentions in wanting to protect his Savior) and Satan was manipulating those emotions.

Understanding the still, small voice that communicates intelligence does take a little more work than just thinking the emotions are the Spirit (I'm a big sports fan and there are good and bad emotions all over in a game, but most of them really don't have much to do with the Holy Ghost).

Another point I would like to add - I do think we can get 2 to 3 witnesses of inspiration. I look for multiple confirmations (especially in relation to large decisions). Over time I think I'm getting a little better at recognizing things, but I appreciate God being patient with me and giving me extra witnesses as I learn. I've mentioned this in another thread - I think there is a difference between "sign seeking" (lack of faith) and seeking additional confirmations of the Spirit (with the intent to act in faith once the confirmation is received).

Great discussion. Thx.

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

when (start) humming hymn almost unconsciously/automatically....like now(5 min ago), "There Is Sunshine in My Soul Today."

suddenly/calmly somehow the melody comes into my mind/heart, same time starts humming....
:-B

caddis
captain of 1,000

Post by caddis »

clarkkent14 wrote:Here is a great article to consider: Feeling, and Fooling, the Spirit

WOW!!! Thank you so much for this. This explains almost to a "T" exactly everything I have discovered over the past 6-8 months of my life. I was trying to help my wife understand the other day. Now I can give her something to read and not just try to explain it with my bumbling ADD thought patterns. Thank YOU!!

clarkkent14
LBFOJ

Post by clarkkent14 »

It really comes down to this, are you receiving light and knowledge or warm and fuzzies. Because God is trying to communicate light and truth to your mind. Not for you to have an emotional experience.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I can tell when fruit is born. First example: I was driving home from work on the interstate recently and felt prompted to slow down/drive carefully. Not a minute later, as I was changing lanes, a guy's truck had dumped some kind of material (boards of some kind). Had I ignored it, someone might well have been hurt. Second example: My wife and I were on our way to pick up my son (who had just had become a dad), his girlfriend and their baby, to visit my sister. As I was driving, pondering things, the Spirit told me that my son was going to ask me if I would bless their baby. Later, after picking them up, sure enough, he asked me exactly that.

natasha
captain of 1,000

Post by natasha »

You know...I think that we might all be surprised at how many times the Spirit has moved us in our lives without even knowing it! Perhaps the key is to "slow down" and focus more so that we might more readily recognize those moments.