Feedback to the Brethren

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
TannerG
captain of 100

Feedback to the Brethren

Post by TannerG »

On another post, Muerte Rosa asked if there's a way to engage the leaders of the church in open dialogue about certain matters. (Muerte Rosa, correct me if that is an incorrect summary of your question).

I know the church occasionally sends out surveys about various issues but they are only for specified topics. Does anyone know of a way that members can submit feedback or otherwise engage in a more open dialogue with church headquarters?

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Feedback to the Brethren

Post by JohnnyL »

Send a letter.
Not really for dialogue, though. You can give feedback, ask questions... It might help if they are of the sort that the local leaders wouldn't be able to answer it.

theBruceGuy
captain of 100
Location: Battling SPECTRE -Sanctimonious People Engaging in Condecending Treament of Remnant Embassadors

Post by theBruceGuy »

My Bishop read a communication from the COB advising members to ask all their questions to their SP.

It has been the practice for many years that any questions submitted to HQ's are referred back to the SP for him to deal with. An Area Residency Secretary once showed me a letter written by a member complaining about the SP and giving all sorts of details about his behavior. He told me that they take the letter, send a cppy to the SP and tell him to deal with it.

We are a big corporation with standard processes and procedures, the GA's very seldom even know what the admin staff clear for them.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

They have insulated themselves from the average member. I have a friend who is related to one of the top GA's, and she has no access to him. Even at family functions, he is "listened to" but never questioned, out of "respect."

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Lizzy60 wrote:They have insulated themselves from the average member. I have a friend who is related to one of the top GA's, and she has no access to him. Even at family functions, he is "listened to" but never questioned, out of "respect."
Interesting. So the church hired body guards who point guns at people and tell them that if they ask a question they'll be blown to smithereens? Even at family functions? That's gotta be tough on the kids. Cousin Eddie wouldn't put up with that.

I've ran into a few GA's and asked questions. Marlin Jensen, for example. And that was just running into him outside. He wasn't even wearing a white shirt and tie :)) . I've even recently been to Priesthood leadership stake conference meetings where the visiting GA asks for questions.

natasha
captain of 1,000

Post by natasha »

That has been my experience, too, Shadow. A few years ago I was returning home from Texas to Utah when a GA sat down beside me. We engaged in conversation....very easy....and, in fact, I told him about a "problem"...he gave me his card with his email address on it and told me to emai lhim later with some details. I did...and he responded. I hope some of you guys understand that our general authorities are no long goatherders and/or sheepherders wandering the desert or living in small communities, etc. They are officiating over a world-wide organization that is only going to get bigger.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

natasha wrote:That has been my experience, too, Shadow. A few years ago I was returning home from Texas to Utah when a GA sat down beside me. We engaged in conversation....very easy....and, in fact, I told him about a "problem"...he gave me his card with his email address on it and told me to emai lhim later with some details. I did...and he responded. I hope some of you guys understand that our general authorities are no long goatherders and/or sheepherders wandering the desert or living in small communities, etc. They are officiating over a world-wide organization that is only going to get bigger.
Profitable growth is the key to a corporation's long term viability.

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

If I were to attempt to approach Pres. Monson in my neighborhood when he's in his backyard, I would be intercepted by at least two bodyguards/handlers that are always with him - even at his house. There is no way I could get a letter to him because the church would never actually get it to him, and I wouldn't be allowed to hand deliver it - even being in his ward.

notjamesbond003.5
captain of 1,000

Post by notjamesbond003.5 »

njb
Last edited by notjamesbond003.5 on December 5th, 2014, 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

If anyone does have contacts with authority, please ask for posters to be sent to all LDS Chapels for display to remind LDS members of basic hygiene:
Do not sneeze or cough in air.
Use a tissue and properly dispose of it.
Wash hands, and do not spread germs on surfaces such as door handles etc.

A droplet from a sneeze or cough travels approximately nineteen feet, stays in the air for approximately two hours, and easily transmits the virus to the unfortunate breather.

I am tired of having to leave the service, or not attend at all because of selfish ignorant members who sneeze and cough in the air. Yes, one could wear a mask and look ridiculous, but an effective mask is also hard to find.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Jules wrote:If I were to attempt to approach Pres. Monson in my neighborhood when he's in his backyard, I would be intercepted by at least two bodyguards/handlers that are always with him - even at his house. There is no way I could get a letter to him because the church would never actually get it to him, and I wouldn't be allowed to hand deliver it - even being in his ward.
He has a lot of death threats. That came from a conversation I had with a GA. The 3 GA's I've known have not had body guards.

TannerG
captain of 100

Post by TannerG »

Sweet&Noble wrote:If anyone does have contacts with authority, please ask for posters to be sent to all LDS Chapels for display to remind LDS members of basic hygiene:

A droplet from a sneeze or cough travels approximately nineteen feet, stays in the air for approximately two hours, and easily transmits the virus to the unfortunate breather.

I am tired of having to leave the service, or not attend at all because of selfish ignorant members who sneeze and cough in the air. Yes, one could wear a mask and look ridiculous, but an effective mask is also hard to find.
They had these all over every chapel I visited in brasil.

TannerG
captain of 100

Post by TannerG »

I have observed that members can only ask certain kinds of questions. A companion of mine asked a general authority what the scripture meant that says that those who are sealed can commit all manner of sin except murder and they will still be saved (terrible paraphrase I know). The GA responded: "You sound like someone who is more concerned with breaking covenants than making them. Next question."

Though the OP wasn't really about personal questions as much as feedback. The church does polls. I've taken one.

Is there no medium through which members can express their concerns? Talking to your bishop or stake president about the disposition of tithes won't change how tithing is used.

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

TannerG wrote:I have observed that members can only ask certain kinds of questions. A companion of mine asked a general authority what the scripture meant that says that those who are sealed can commit all manner of sin except murder and they will still be saved (terrible paraphrase I know). The GA responded: "You sound like someone who is more concerned with breaking covenants than making them. Next question."
Ugh. I hate politician-speak.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

jbalm wrote:
TannerG wrote:I have observed that members can only ask certain kinds of questions. A companion of mine asked a general authority what the scripture meant that says that those who are sealed can commit all manner of sin except murder and they will still be saved (terrible paraphrase I know). The GA responded: "You sound like someone who is more concerned with breaking covenants than making them. Next question."
Ugh. I hate politician-speak.
Orthodoxy has almost fully usurped personal understanding. This phenomenon is everywhere. In police departments, policy trumps law. It must be a sign of the times. It's like the COPS show is playing out in every venue.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

And so the people are pushing back, Chip. Demonstrations against police over-reach? In part, at least.

"When all you have is a hammer...
"

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

shadow wrote:
Jules wrote:If I were to attempt to approach Pres. Monson in my neighborhood when he's in his backyard, I would be intercepted by at least two bodyguards/handlers that are always with him - even at his house. There is no way I could get a letter to him because the church would never actually get it to him, and I wouldn't be allowed to hand deliver it - even being in his ward.
He has a lot of death threats. That came from a conversation I had with a GA. The 3 GA's I've known have not had body guards.
Who cares about death threats? If a hit isn't "in the program", he should be fine...UNLESS he has sought to lead the people astray.

Thomas
captain of 1,000

Post by Thomas »

GAs give counsel not accept it.

sam_d
captain of 10

Post by sam_d »

Sweet&Noble wrote:If anyone does have contacts with authority, please ask for posters to be sent to all LDS Chapels for display to remind LDS members of basic hygiene:

If God wanted the members of His Church to follow proper hygiene, he would have already revealed it to his chosen prophet. And if it was really that important, and the prophet was leading the members astray with improper hygiene, God would have removed him from the earth and installed a new prophet. ;)

friendsofthe
captain of 1,000

Post by friendsofthe »

Ah…yes, LDS Freedom Forum, where grumbling about the church and it’s leaders is always in fashion…..

sam_d
captain of 10

Post by sam_d »

friendsofthe wrote:Ah…yes, LDS Freedom Forum, where grumbling about the church and it’s leaders is always in fashion…..
Do you know what would make you feel better...? Sustaining the prophet. I know it makes me feel better. =;

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

We should not need to be instructed in all things. An LDS member is not required to receive revelation from the Prophet to understand cleanliness, basic hygiene and consideration for the health of others. People can die from breathing in droplets sneezed or coughed into the air by others. It is a serious matter,which anyone should understand, even the selfish ignorant offenders.
sam_d wrote:

If God wanted the members of His Church to follow proper hygiene, he would have already revealed it to his chosen prophet. And if it was really that important, and the prophet was leading the members astray with improper hygiene, God would have removed him from the earth and installed a new prophet. ;)

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

1/6/13 I sent a letter to President Monson, with cc to President Packer and Elder L. Tom Perry. Following is the purpose of that letter:

"I am suggesting that fireside presentations be prepared and given to the Young Men & Young Women, with parents invited, in all stakes and districts in the United States, that will help them understand the basic principles of the US Constitution, and the responsibility of Latter-day Saints to honour and abide by its principles. I am suggesting that LDS people be identified and called to give these presentation who are currently doing presentations on the Constitution for the National Center for Constitutional Studies, the Thomas Jefferson Center for Constitutional Restoration, the American Academy for Constitutional Education, and perhaps some other similar groups who are out there now trying to educate Americans on the importance of our restoring the principles of the Constitution to our government. I think such people would be best qualified for such an assignment, as they would know what they are talking about and would only need to tailor their presentations to Young Men and Young Women.

"I hope you will consider implementing such a program so that more Latter-day Saints will become aware of and honour their duty to the US Constitution and to freedom."

About two weeks later I received a letter written and signed by a secretary to the First Presidency acknowledging receipt of my letter.

friendsofthe
captain of 1,000

Post by friendsofthe »

Sam_d wrote:

Do you know what would make you feel better...? Sustaining the prophet. I know it makes me feel better. =;
You may have misunderstood my comment, actually I do sustain the prophet, it’s grumbling that bothers me.
Last edited by friendsofthe on December 6th, 2014, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

A friend in SLC is home teacher to one of the apostles and his wife. He recently asked the apostle "Should the members of the Church still study and live by the U.S. Constitution?"

"Absolutely!" was the reply

My friend wrote further that "He seemed quite disgusted about what is going on in this country but reiterated that the Constitution has not become less, but more important in our day."