Let's unite to buy this house, give to family in need

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Let's unite to buy this house, give to family in need

Post by BroJones »

Zion, anyone? let's buy a house together, and give to a family in need!
Today I inspected a house in this little town of Albany, Mo.
Nice small rural town surrounded by rich farmland. (Our garden did VERY well, too... much better than in Utah)

I had an idea/prompting about this house, asking price $12,500 - let's JOIN together and buy it, to give to a family in need! I think we could get it for $9,000 maybe even $8500 cash - it has two broken windows and needs help before winter.

Condition overall though is not bad. Needs cleaning out - old carpets and glass on the floor, just a mess (left by renters I think).

I think the renters trashed it, and that's why its so cheap - plus the owner is out-of-state. Foundation looks like it has a leak, I'm familiar with this problem in this area (12" of rain in a ten-day period several weeks ago) - and familiar how to repair this. About $350.

Two newer natural-gas FURNACES, one in basement with new heat-ducting and one for the upstairs. 3 bedrooms, one bath, decent kitchen, newer electrical 200 A service! Good roof, I think.

OK - here's the listing:

http://shomemorerealestate.com/RealEsta ... lumn=72520" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The realtor showed me the place this afternoon.

Who needs a house? Free! to a good family...

ps- good schools, very low crime, nice town (wiki Albany), church bldg in Town about 0.7 mile from this house. Baseball field, several restaurants, shopko and hyvee stores etc.
Yes, I live here in town with 2 sons and their families.

And - who will join me? I will chip in $1000. We need about $ 11K to buy it and get it live-able. Cheap! yet good. I feel good about it - how about you?

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Re: Let's unite to buy this house, give to family in need

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

Dr. Jones, this is awesome - what an awesome idea!!

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Dr. Jones, do you have a paypal account?

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robert Sinclair »

Find the poorest Saints in your ward or branch or stake who have been faithful Saints that have given up of their own freewill time and talents that have children and have been renting or are homeless, and that could truly use this home and member handyman or contractors that can make sure this house is safe and P.M. me where to send some money and the next time I get some I will send some to where you PM me to send it. ♡ :)

Awesome. ♡ :)

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

coachmarc wrote:Dr. Jones, do you have a paypal account?
Yes, I've not had money come into though... How to do that?
Anyway, I'd prefer not to be the one collecting the money for this...

Hmmm... I could ask one of my sons or daughter to do this... single, and so little income that tax problems should not arise.

But I think it might be better to wait until we have an offer nearly ready, everybody pool their contributions with the office doing the closing (realtor, or with the law firm in town where my dau-in-law works - they do house closings all the time)

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Robert Sinclair wrote:Find the poorest Saints in your ward or branch or stake who have been faithful Saints that have given up of their own freewill time and talents that have children and have been renting or are homeless, and that could truly use this home and member handyman or contractors that can make sure this house is safe and P.M. me where to send some money and the next time I get some I will send some to where you PM me to send it. ♡ :)

Awesome. ♡ :)
ThanKs, Robert - thought you'd like the idea.

It could be that the home would be offered as a rent-free shelter also, retaining ownership in some charitable entity?? just thinking out loud. I don't know much about such things.
perhaps the easiest is just to give to a single mom/and her children. something like that.
or a struggling couple.

In general, housing is cheap here because so many farmers are selling to big Ag corps and folks are moving out. Still, there are jobs - like the manufacturer Johnson controls (thermostats etc) in town.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

DrJones wrote:
coachmarc wrote:Dr. Jones, do you have a paypal account?
Yes, I've not had money come into though... How to do that?
Anyway, I'd prefer not to be the one collecting the money for this...

Hmmm... I could ask one of my sons or daughter to do this... single, and so little income that tax problems should not arise.

But I think it might be better to wait until we have an offer nearly ready, everybody pool their contributions with the office doing the closing (realtor, or with the law firm in town where my dau-in-law works - they do house closings all the time)
We'd just send $ to your paypal account. All one would need is your associated email address. You would then transfer the funds from your paypal account to your bank account if you don't have it automatically set up.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Sounds easy enough, coach. I'm willing (or could have someone else could do it).

Truthfully, I could almost put it on a credit card - not that I want to get in debt... but I mean,
t's basically a small amount of money.

I suppose we should find someone who would want to own a house in this location first :)
and who would appreciate it. Jobs are not abundant here, except low-paying jobs AFAIK.
Of course, one could do like BD-LDS and do an on-line business.

Restaurants seem to do well here, and the dollar and grocery stores. And gas (currently $2.89/gallon). cost of living seems lower here than Ut, for example.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Is their a single mom with kids or a struggling family in your stake or even area of stakes? It would be good to seek them out through the stake president and bishops and home teachers and visiting teachers. ♡ :)

rootbeer
captain of 10

Post by rootbeer »

This is great Dr. Jones! I would love to be part of this.

This simple act could really make a difference, and truly change people's lives forever.

caddis
captain of 1,000

Post by caddis »

If you go the Paypal route make sure the money is sent as a gift or you will have to pay fees. I think the fees are 2.9% + $.30 or something like that.

boo
captain of 1,000

Post by boo »

Hate to be a nay sayer but this looks to me like a solution in search of a need ie it is backwards The sentiment is laudatory but if there is no need determined why spent scarce resources that could be used to meet a real live existing need

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

I truly hope Dr Jones finds a poor and needy family in his ward or stake or area that would be brought to tears for a kindness such as this shown to them and see if it could be done by Christmas. ♡ :)

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

This is an awesome idea, Dr. Jones! I'd give you my last penny in the bank in order to contribute, but I just spent the last penny yesterday.

I am not worried about finding a family in need. I'm sure one will show up.

If I can help in any way, let me know.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

I've heard of numerous families in need. A major question is -- will a family WANT to move away from where they are located, perhaps away from family and friends, and come to this rural area? to be sure, close to church historical sites (both past and future history)... but in Missouri?

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Check with your stake presidents and bishops in your area and let us know. ♡ :)

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Dr. Jones, I believe a family will be prepared by the Lord. "If you build it, they will come."

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

A true disciple of Christ... Steve, what a nice gesture and idea! :ymapplause: :ymhug: Wish I was in a position to help out financially, but I'm trying to get back on my own two feet after being laid off last July.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

If Brian is ok with it, we could contribute through this forum's donation link.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Again, good points.
Is there a family right now in need AND willing to accept this stewardship? not just take the gift, turn around and sell it for several $K and pocket that? who will see to it that needed repairs are done before winter? these are questions need to answer first, sigh...
We just are not yet nigh to Zion! also, donation offers are up to about $1300 now is all...
Thanks for your interest, friends.

EDIT: correction, there is ONE family that has stepped forward with a real need here, and may be the beneficiary we seek - just got a PM.

We need more donation commitments if we're going to pull this off!

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

What time frame are we looking at? Do we have a deadline?

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

OK - a willing family in definite need ...

I'm partial to little ones, and they have several...

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Can the church become involved in this case also?

It could make a great test case for covenants and deeds that cannot be broken into the hands of the poor Saints sufficient for the support of their families.

Can the stake president and bishop of this ward become involved and you Dr Jones keep us all posted as to the progress of this first covenant and deed that they help in?

I don't care if it is just a few hundred dollars or even just a few thousand dollars that the church pitches in. I am dead serious about this I know of not one single covenant and deed that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has helped even "one" single family get into. You get from the local bishop to Robert Cantwell to say ok as a test case for the beginning of the laying of the foundation of Zion of getting a poor family a home we will help and I promise you to fall upon my knees weeping openly. This could be the first of many yet to come and you will have been an instrument in the hand of God to help bring this about. ♡ :)

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

DrJones wrote:OK - a willing family in definite need ...

I'm partial to little ones, and they have several...
Awesome! Do we have a set method of donations yet?

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Jezebel wrote:What time frame are we looking at? Do we have a deadline?
asap. No deadline really, except:
1. house needs attention before freezing weather comes IMO, especially broken windows (2 afaik)
2. at this price, house may sell at anytime to anyone
3. clean up will be much easier before snow falls. (but around here, snow comes, melts, repeat)