Let's unite to buy this house, give to family in need

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Let's unite to buy this house, give to family in need

Post by BroJones »

Note that I requested a change of my moniker to BroJones. Its still me.
A few photos, just now.
Attachments
607Basement Stairs.jpg
607Basement Stairs.jpg (146.47 KiB) Viewed 959 times
607 Upstairs view to NW.jpg
607 Upstairs view to NW.jpg (117.14 KiB) Viewed 959 times
607Outside.jpg
607Outside.jpg (380.27 KiB) Viewed 959 times

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Video - quick tour of the inside of the house main floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59G_fHL ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Obrien wrote:of course it will work out... somehow. working out may not encompass your vision of HOW it should work out, but it will undoubtely work out.
Sure. Robbing a bank works out too. Why not do that instead of trying to get donations? Doc, get your guns and head to the bank and don't worry, it'll work out :ymcowboy:

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Because robbing a bank is illegal, donating is not illegal.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

shadow wrote:
Obrien wrote:of course it will work out... somehow. working out may not encompass your vision of HOW it should work out, but it will undoubtely work out.
Sure. Robbing a bank works out too. Why not do that instead of trying to get donations? Doc, get your guns and head to the bank and don't worry, it'll work out :ymcowboy:
Dear "loyal opposition" -
See Elder Holland's talk on serving and charity at the last Gen Conf. Please.

BrotherOfMahonri
captain of 1,000

Post by BrotherOfMahonri »

BroJones wrote:Video - quick tour of the inside of the house main floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59G_fHL ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NO meth? It is very open. I like that it didn't look like it was cubicles but it was open enough.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Obrien wrote:Because robbing a bank is illegal, donating is not illegal.
So if it's legal it's ok.

Did you see the pics and video of the house? The $12k price is just the beginning of that money pit. No favors in giving someone a fixer-upper when they can't afford to renovate it.

"Well, since you couldn't afford the small price on this money pit, I bought it for you. Get a credit card!!" - a good doer

It's like a conversation I overheard years ago. It really happened and It went like this-
A- the tranny in my car went out and I need a car but my wife and I are students and have no money.

B- well, you can have my old car parked in my back yard. It'll need quite a bit of work to get it going but you can have it.

Shadow- #-o

So a few here think that person B is awesome for offering a fixer upper to someone who cannot afford to fix it up. Nice.

Giving a fixer upper to someone who can't afford to fix it (or even pay the property taxes) is of no help at all whatsoever. It's called a burden. But it sounds awesome so I guess it must be good.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

OK - I'm glad you guys "have my back" because without "groupfunding", I would not be in a position to do this.

Its fun and interesting how the Lord works with us, patiently.
There's going to be a fair amount of work on my part to get this house ready to move into - cleaning, looks like it wants a new water heater and some plumbing work done also, along with rain-water flow-away-from-the-house. I can't do all that, but I can help/coordinate.

100% plan to have it livable before someone moves in. Branch members know plumbing and electrical and don't charge much, for instance. I also have Amish friends a few miles out of town that know construction. Clean up we all can do. And welcome those moving in.

O ye of little faith, Shadow! but we'll see. I'll be transparent about costs on this.
Have you ever bought a house, that you did not do some changes to?

So I made an offer of $8K and the owner said $10K as a counter... we settled on $9K -- pack your bags Oregon! and please open your hearts here, to raise this. BTW, seller said he had another interested party also (that the realtor didn't know about yet).

BUT then there is this single Mom with children who came forward with real need also, shortly after the Oregon family, and she is losing her rental unit in November... It has become clear in my mind a way to accomodate them both, obviously it will be an additional expense for another house just two doors down!! and very reasonable also, but in better shape... more on that later. Can we swing two groupfunded houses in this way?
[pause - realtor at the door]

I just signed the papers to purchase 607 E Clay St. at $9000 and will keep track of expenses and show these transparently as we go along. Purchaser - my name and/or assigns as the buyer. Gotta get that groupfunding thing going that Bd-LDS recommended.

Looks good! :ymhug:

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Hats off to you doc. And best wishes to the Oregon family. Hopefully it will be a blessing to them.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

shadow wrote:Hats off to you doc. And best wishes to the Oregon family. Hopefully it will be a blessing to them.
I hope after all your negative comments you'll pitch in a few bucks to help the cause. Seems like a reasonable penance.

Desert Roses
captain of 1,000

Post by Desert Roses »

Wouldn't it be great to set up something like the PEF only for housing? It has been such a roaring success for education for those who cannot afford or have access to education in any other way. Habitat for Humanity has something along these lines--is there a Habitat for Humanity in your area, BroJones? That is one way a lot of homes are built NEW and the owners put in their own work for it. They have been very successful.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Dr....er, I mean, Bro Jones (gonna take some time to get used to that, or may I call you Steve?), the house looks solid from what you showed in the pictures and video. What does the furnace look like? Water heater? AC unit if any? How does the foundation look? Are there any cracks? Check for mold. The roof looks decent. Are there any signs of leaks in the house? Check all the ceilings for water stains. Also check all the window jams and sills inside the house for rotting wood or water stains. Everything else is cosmetic. I built homes for 20 years in many trades (General contractor/framer, etc) and can offer advice from a distance. I don't have the financial means I used, to, but I intend to help as much as I can with $ too.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Brother Jones...that has a zion-ish feeling. :-BD

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

coachmarc wrote:Dr....er, I mean, Bro Jones (gonna take some time to get used to that, or may I call you Steve?), the house looks solid from what you showed in the pictures and video. What does the furnace look like? Water heater? AC unit if any? How does the foundation look? Are there any cracks? Check for mold. The roof looks decent. Are there any signs of leaks in the house? Check all the ceilings for water stains. Also check all the window jams and sills inside the house for rotting wood or water stains. Everything else is cosmetic. I built homes for 20 years in many trades (General contractor/framer, etc) and can offer advice from a distance. I don't have the financial means I used, to, but I intend to help as much as I can with $ too.
Obviously a 2-story house with full basement for only $9K is going to have some issues:
needs clean-up and 2 windows
replace basement door (there are two doors down there, hopefully can use one of those)
Furnaces look new - will try to attach photos later - strong points here.
leaks - only near chimney on 2nd floor. I've seen this before - Amish know how to get up there and fix this (I've seen them fix two chimney leaks like this before)
Yes foundation has been reinforced
Needs PAINT and a new sink in the bathroom
Probably needs a new water heater, as I noted before.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Obrien wrote:
shadow wrote:Hats off to you doc. And best wishes to the Oregon family. Hopefully it will be a blessing to them.
I hope after all your negative comments you'll pitch in a few bucks to help the cause. Seems like a reasonable penance.
I'm not sold on the idea and I have no idea who's moving into it. I said hats off to the doc but that doesn't mean I agree with him. Actually, thus far I disagree. With any means comes a bit of stewardship.
And just to give you comfort regarding my penance, I've donated quite a bit of money (excluding tithes and fast offerings) this month alone in order to help two families. Not as much as the doc has on this endeavor, but probably a good runner up if tallies were made. We're not stingy, but we're not careless either. I've given vehicles away too, but never a fixer upper.

But honestly, I hope this home is a blessing to whoever takes it. If I were the doc I wouldn't be hasty is signing over the deed until I knew the family who moves in are on their feet as it were. But he's a better man than I.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Obrien wrote:
I hope after all your negative comments
Nah, push back and opposing views are always good in making decisions. It's like we don't want to be yes men, but we really do.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

This is a learning experience for us all. That's the beauty of it.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robert Sinclair »

I would love to see if someone knows the process of bringing up for discussion with The Council on the Disposition of Tithes the use of church funds to assist poor Saints into these types of homes and with employment if needed to set families up with a covenant and a deed that cannot be broken, even as a pilot program to see if it is successful and begins to get people started on their feet with homes of their own as commanded by God.

This forum could have helped bringing this to be looked at would be wonderful. ♡ :)

And Dr Jones or brother Steve, could of truly helped begin the return to repairing of the breach, and the restorer of paths to dwell in. ♡ :)

Can you just imagine if it was brought before this Council and they said yes, yes we will authorize the bishops in the various wards and branches to help with funds used prudently with the pitching in of fellow members of the wards and branches and stakes. ♡ :)

I would start to weep for sure, and fall upon my knees thanking heavenly father that in my days the return to repairing of Zion upon this earth was beginning. ♡ :)

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Robert, I believe we have the makings of a good beginning. I understand shadow's concerns and I suppose I don't blame him. But let this be a good learning experience for all of us. And a springboard for something better.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

ajax wrote:
Obrien wrote:
I hope after all your negative comments
Nah, push back and opposing views are always good in making decisions. It's like we don't want to be yes men, but we really do.
you know what, I've decided that when I CAN say yes, I'd just as soon do so. there are so many "no"s in life, I like to say yes. besides, I desperately want to be a sheep on the right hand, not a left handed goat. the best way to get into that position is to be grateful for the Lord's blessings and do good when you can. doesn't that require more "yes"es than "no"s?

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

OK -- I signed the contract to buy the place today, put down $500 earnest money, and closing is 19 Nov 2014.

So that's the goal date for the fundraiser we've been talking about. Per recommendation of Bd-LDS, I put it here:

http://www.youcaring.com/help-a-neighbo ... ily/255207" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There you can read, let me know how to improve - and easily make that contribution!!
All the proceeds go to getting the house and fixing it up and if we go over the goal, I propose to buy ONE more "experimental" house as there is one more very needy family identified, and one more "cheap yet good" house. Let's see how we do, approaching Zion I hope.

Much appreciated to all!

-Brother Jones
Attachments
Gfam.jpg
Gfam.jpg (298.33 KiB) Viewed 2118 times

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Obrien wrote: you know what, I've decided that when I CAN say yes, I'd just as soon do so. there are so many "no"s in life, I like to say yes. besides, I desperately want to be a sheep on the right hand, not a left handed goat. the best way to get into that position is to be grateful for the Lord's blessings and do good when you can. doesn't that require more "yes"es than "no"s?
So offering different opinions and perspectives is goat-like? So reviewing your posting history, that makes you a....?

Hmm, I've never viewed anyone's opinion anything other than positive and helpful, even though I may vehemently disagree. Must be my crappy goat-like upbringing.

And just because a person offers differing ideas, doesn't mean in the end they can't say yes. I've been in some good bishoprics where this happened all the time.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

I received a nice letter from the beneficiary family, which I hope will motivate some folks to participate in our little experiment here to help a family in this way:
https://www.youcaring.com/help-a-neighb ... ily/255207" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hi Steve,

.. I attached a picture of the children taken just a couple of weeks ago. The kids are much cuter and expressive than I am ;). Yes, posting a picture is just fine :D

After this home is funded I would LOVE to spread the word on the house fund raising for this single mother. d I could share to my ward, other groups I belong to and whomever else I come up with. I SO badly want to help!

Remember, my husband and I can fix it up at least cosmetically (and I really enjoy doing stuff like that). When the home is purchased he can go after Thanksgiving and work on prepping the house. I will stay with the children while they finish their school through December and celebrate Christmas with our family here. (being very optimistic and exercising faith here ;) )

Kitchen sinks abound on craigslist, at least here in Portland and I'm great at finding what I need to for little to nothing. My husband is a computer wiz (mostly hardware) and perhaps can trade computer work for a water [heater] or whatever is needed. If you like I can have him e-mail you what he can do from a distance. Just know we want to do what we can and join in this effort - for our family and for the sweet single mother.

Miracles abound!
T...
Attachments
gfamily.jpg
gfamily.jpg (174.47 KiB) Viewed 2070 times

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Thanks so much for your encouragement! its a bit scary for me to be so far out on the limb right now... but we walk by faith and love!

I've been asked - how to send a check to boost this charitable effort? would appreciate that! to:Nathan Jones (my son, who is coordinating check receipts)
201 East Clay St.
Albany, MO 64402
100% of receipts go to purchasing this house and making it liveable for this family currently in Oregon.

or you can contribute with a credit card here:
https://www.youcaring.com/help-a-neighb ... ily/255207
Last edited by BroJones on October 30th, 2014, 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robert Sinclair »

I am even more of a believer that a way should be found to bring this information before The Council on the Disposition of Tithes for review and consideration. To allow the bishops of the branches and wards to assist where prudent investment is being used to further the cause of getting into the hands of the poor Saints covenants and deeds that cannot be broken sufficient for the support of their families from the consecrated properties and monies and businesses and stocks donated by the faithful Saints that have given to the Church.
To say over and over the people are not yet right needs to be reviewed.

I believe that together all working together on fixing up homes and purchase of homes for the poor Saints to have inheritances in the land of promise is the will of God and has been through the revelation given in D&C section 42.

Someone must know how to bring this up for consideration of The Council of the Disposition of Tithes. ♡ :)

It should not take forever to get a decision among righteous leaders, it could be answered in a short period of time, I am sure. ♡ :)