Let's unite to buy this house, give to family in need

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Let's unite to buy this house, give to family in need

Post by BroJones »

Obrien wrote:jezebel, maybe you could send him a small book? =))
You mean with green paper stuffed between pages? actually not a bad idea... :ymhug:
But imo direct deposit into the UCCU savings account used now exclusively for this fundraiser may be better.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

You mean one with a title that has no particular meaning. :D

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Someone asked about depositing directly to the SAVINGS portion of my UCCU bank account, where I'm accumulating funds for this effort to buy a HOUSE free-and-clear for this struggling family.

A good idea, and 100% of the incomings will go to benefit these struggling folks!

The UCCU account (SAVINGS) has this number:

If you wish, you can email me at hardevidence @gmail.com, or write to
Steven Jones
201 East Clay St.
Albany, MO 64402

That is the name and address on the account at UCCU also.
Thanks again,
Steve

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

BroJones wrote:
You mean with green paper stuffed between pages? actually not a bad idea... :ymhug:
But imo direct deposit into the UCCU savings account used now exclusively for this fundraiser may be better.
Yes, something like that... ;)

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

We're up to $3,337! :)

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robert Sinclair »

I hope "The Council on the Disposition of Tithes" sees this and considers could we help our poor Saints with these types of homes?

Yes, yes you can.♡ :)

And even far more. ♡ :)

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

The bank deposit worked great. I thought it was funny that she read the name off that was on the account and then looked at me and asked, it's not your account? Perhaps I bear a slight resemblance to Steve?

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Jezebel wrote:The bank deposit worked great. I thought it was funny that she read the name off that was on the account and then looked at me and asked, it's not your account? Perhaps I bear a slight resemblance to Steve?
Yes, and its easy to track and account for also, thanks so much on behalf of this family.

BrotherOfMahonri
captain of 1,000

Post by BrotherOfMahonri »

Kind of fun (if you are a nerd like me) to see how things work with social media in matters like this. See attachment.

I believe the best way to get social interaction boils down to the compellingness of the story... any thoughts on how I can edit it such to get more people actually looking into it?
Screen-Shot-2014-11-04-at-7.04.44-PM.jpg

BrotherOfMahonri
captain of 1,000

Maybe a different photo of the family?

BrotherOfMahonri
captain of 1,000

We need $575 a day to get this knocked out of the park - I will put up another social campaign - but need some feedback if you will on ideas to make it more compelling? I think a photo will do the trick. I'll try to see if I can get it in front of 100,000 people this time round giving us at least 3,200 clicks through to the donation page, as if we can get 3.2% click through out of 25,000 people seeing it in this test campaign we can maybe get it funded each day fully if we can get a better image, and a more compelling headline - I think more people will donate out of the good ness of their hearts.

I know this sounds commercialized, but facebook is where people are at now a days for the most part on line, in live time... thoughts? Photos? Headlines?

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

I'm climbing the learning curve here for sure - first fundraiser = and your suggestions are welcomed.

I just rec'd a photo of the family -- looks great, will put it up at the YouCaring site...
Attachments
Oregon Family Photo.jpg
Oregon Family Photo.jpg (198.79 KiB) Viewed 2110 times

BrotherOfMahonri
captain of 1,000

BroJones wrote:I'm climbing the learning curve here for sure - first fundraiser = and your suggestions are welcomed.

I just rec'd a photo of the family -- looks great, will put it up at the YouCaring site...
Assuming permission granted correct?

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

BalaamDoctrineLDS wrote:
BroJones wrote:I'm climbing the learning curve here for sure - first fundraiser = and your suggestions are welcomed.

Assuming permission granted correct?
Oh yes~ the mother sent the photo of the family to me, to post.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Just had a direct deposit to the account for this family/house in the amount of $2000 !!! :ymhug: So far, the generous donor is anonymous.

WOW! I'd say your fasting and prayers are helping out there!

Let us rejoice!

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

God bless you brother Steven Jones for seeking to establish equity.

You will be glad you did. ♡ :)

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

I believe it is fitting that it begins with you in the heartland of Adam-ondi-Ahman, how wonderful is that? ♡ :)

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

BroJones wrote:Just had a direct deposit to the account for this family/house in the amount of $2000 !!! :ymhug: So far, the generous donor is anonymous.

WOW! I'd say your fasting and prayers are helping out there!

Let us rejoice!
:ymparty: :ymapplause: :ymparty: :ymapplause: :ymparty:

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

ONE THOUSAND dollars in donation came to this struggling family of eight today by mail. This has been added and brings the total now to
$6,472

Which is awesome!! the cost of the home is $9,000 (plus closing costs which I will pay) so we are getting there fast!

Then we hope for a bit more to get the place cleaned, fixed up and liveable...
So keep your faith up!

And again, thanks, to everyone.
--Steve

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

As long as we get the 9000 by the deadline, we can get the rest later on.

SAM
captain of 100

Post by SAM »

This is a really neat idea. I'll have to speak with my husband to see what we can do to contribute. However, as has been expressed above somewhat, how will this family be helped to maintain the house? With such a low price (granted I know very little about the MO housing market, but that cost is about 10% of what a home in really bad shape would cost where we live) I am really nervous about how long it can hold up. Do you know anything about the condition of the roof, the electrical, the plumbing? I am glad the foundation is being addressed, but if any of those other things goes out, it will likely cost as much, if not more, than the entire cost of the house to repair. We just sold our house in AZ where our buyers had a roof inspection done. The inspector deemed the roof to be in great condition and should be for years to come. However, we had a few cracked tiles and due to the nature of the kind of loan our buyers were using, that had to be repaired before their loan would go through. It cost us almost $400 just to get those few roof tiles repairs. I just worry that if some of those bigger issues come up, the family will be stuck in a home that needs major repairs and no money to do that. Would it be possible to continue raising funds after the home is sold to update all those things?

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Just so you know and are aware, once this family gets on there feet financially and gets their credit repaired, the are federal government programs to help.

For old homes in need of repair for as little as 3% down the government offers loans called fha203k that you can Google and see that they will loan money to do major repairs and even do appliances, carpeting, decks, roofing, all manner of things to make the home livable and do that in a 30 year fixed rate loan as my family did on an old 1911 lava rock farm house here in Redmond Oregon.

That's down the road possibly for this family but is available once they can qualify. ♡ :)

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Yes, it is possible to continue the fundraiser after the Nov 19th deadline.

But note that the family is trying hard also to get a business going (on-line, I understand).
This is a BIG help to them and they are excited, but they have hope to be "back in the saddle again" and this House will be a great help to them.

About housing prices -- I'm AMAZED at how much cheaper housing is here in NW rural Missouri compared to the West. Go to Rex Homan's site / Albany, Missouri, he's the realtor we're working with here. Nice houses, inexpensive.

OTOH, $9K for this house is exceptionally cheap - I've been keeping an eye out for years.
We had to act quickly.

GReat branch, too! LDS chapel in our town of about 1700 people (Christian atmosphere here).

In our branch, we talk about Jesus all the time. And the Bk of Mormon and secret combinations and preparing, frequently.
WE will welcome you :ymhug:

And you'll love our little library on the corner!

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Robert, this family will not accept federal funds for help fixing their home. However, I am certainly willing to continue helping them raise money for repairs, if necessary.

BrotherOfMahonri
captain of 1,000

Hope nobody minds - I'm posting these for learning sake if anything else... this time we got a 6% response, compared to the just over 3% from before.... so the new family photo doubled the interest... not bad at all considering the type of "ad" if you will - seeking the type of help we are. Food for thought for those of us on this forum area.
Screen Shot 2014-11-07 at 11.06.53 AM.png
Last edited by BrotherOfMahonri on November 8th, 2014, 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.