What's your favorite talk and why?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: What's your favorite talk and why?

Post by rewcox »

I thought it was an excellent conference. Still going through talks. Like this one on responsibility by Elder Christofferson:
In matters both temporal and spiritual, the opportunity to assume personal responsibility is a God-given gift without which we cannot realize our full potential as daughters and sons of God. Personal accountability becomes both a right and a duty that we must constantly defend; it has been under assault since before the Creation. We must defend accountability against persons and programs that would (sometimes with the best of intentions) make us dependent. And we must defend it against our own inclinations to avoid the work that is required to cultivate talents, abilities, and Christlike character.

The story is told of a man who simply would not work. He wanted to be taken care of in every need. To his way of thinking, the Church or the government, or both, owed him a living because he had paid his taxes and his tithing. He had nothing to eat but refused to work to care for himself. Out of desperation and disgust, those who had tried to help him decided that since he would not lift a finger to sustain himself, they might as well just take him to the cemetery and let him pass on. On the way to the cemetery, one man said, “We can’t do this. I have some corn I will give him.”

So they explained this to the man, and he asked, “Have the husks been removed?”

They responded, “No.”

“Well then,” he said, “drive on.”

It is God’s will that we be free men and women enabled to rise to our full potential both temporally and spiritually, that we be free from the humiliating limitations of poverty and the bondage of sin, that we enjoy self-respect and independence, that we be prepared in all things to join Him in His celestial kingdom.

I am under no illusion that this can be achieved by our own efforts alone without His very substantial and constant help. “We know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.”24 And we do not need to achieve some minimum level of capacity or goodness before God will help—divine aid can be ours every hour of every day, no matter where we are in the path of obedience. But I know that beyond desiring His help, we must exert ourselves, repent, and choose God for Him to be able to act in our lives consistent with justice and moral agency. My plea is simply to take responsibility and go to work so that there is something for God to help us with.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Free Forever, to Act for Themselves by Elder D. Todd Christofferson

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... s?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

why? because of his ability to expound on the principles of Agency and Liberty.

Cowboy
captain of 100

Post by Cowboy »

Elder Robbins talk.
On not lowering our standards to the world.
Great Talk!

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Monson's closing talk.

Eglantine
captain of 10

Post by Eglantine »

sen6b wrote:I have to say pretty much the entire Saturday afternoon session spoke to me.
Especially, Tad Callister, Jörg Klebingat, and Eduardo Gavarret.
Thank you so much for sharing. Your posts are the reason I come here. They are so positive. I missed the Saturday afternoon session. I guess I need to read it now.

I agree. Having the speakers speaking their native language was wonderful.

shestalou
captain of 100

Post by shestalou »

All of them were so inspiring and uplifting, I always look forward to General Conference! :)

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

The last one on Sunday afternoon. It's always my favorite talk. No sarcasm at all - I'll swear to that on a stack of quads.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Obrien wrote:The last one on Sunday afternoon. It's always my favorite talk. No sarcasm at all - I'll swear to that on a stack of quads.
This is true. No other talk beats this:
May we return to our homes with a resolve in our hearts to be a little better than we have been in the past. May we be a little kinder and more thoughtful. May we reach out in helpfulness, not only to our fellow members but also to those who are not of our faith. As we associate with them, may we show our respect for them.

There are those who struggle every day with challenges. Let us extend to them our concern, as well as a helping hand. As we care for each other, we will be blessed.

May we remember the elderly and those who are homebound. As we take time to visit them, they will know that they are loved and valued. May we follow the mandate to “succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees.”
That's it. Conference over.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

The closing remarks are my least favorite because it means conference is over for six months. :( I truly feel down when the final conference session ends.

I thought it was a fantastic conference-I put all the sessions on my mp3 and tablet so I can listen to them during the next six months. There were so many I enjoyed, it is hard to decide which was my favorite.

If you pin me down, I think it might be Elder Holland's talk, I was so glad he spoke out about caring for the poor and the problem of poverty.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Do you see the irony in that post...

In all seriousness, I like the new sen6b. Direct, all business, sincere and pleasant. :)

Reggie
captain of 100

Post by Reggie »

I'm relistening to the whole conference and taking notes. 1st talk on Saturday Morning by Boyd K. Packer. Love him. I've always felt he would be the 2nd coming prophet or at least the tribulation prophet. Here's a quote by him. Love it!

As one of the Twelve Apostles, I bear witness of the Lord Jesus Christ. He lives. He is our Redeemer and our Savior. “Through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved” (Articles of Faith 1:3). He presides over this Church. He is no stranger to His servants. As we move into the future with quiet confidence, His Spirit will be with us. There is no end to His power to bless and direct the lives of those who seek truth and righteousness. I bear witness of Him in the name of Jesus Christ, amen. :ymparty:

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

sen6b wrote:I really hope you're being serious too and not being snide. :)
I'm always serious.

Hugh Jass
The Bishop

Post by Hugh Jass »

ajax wrote:
sen6b wrote:I really hope you're being serious too and not being snide. :)
I'm always serious.
And don't call him Shirley.

Reggie
captain of 100

Post by Reggie »

Lynn G. Robbins: Which Way Do You Face?

Prophets through the ages have always come under attack by the finger of scorn. Why? According to the scriptures, it is because “the guilty taketh the truth to be hard, for it cutteth them to the very center” (1 Nephi 16:2), or as President Harold B. Lee observed, “The hit bird flutters!”2 Their scornful reaction is, in reality, guilt trying to reassure itself, just as with Korihor, who finally admitted, “I always knew that there was a God” (Alma 30:52). Korihor was so convincing in his deception that he came to believe his own lie (see Alma 30:53).

Reggie
captain of 100

Post by Reggie »

Cheryl A. Esplin: The Sacrament: a renewal for the soul

After administering the sacrament to the Nephites, Jesus said:

“He that eateth this bread eateth of my body to his soul; and he that drinketh of this wine drinketh of my blood to his soul; and his soul shall never hunger nor thirst, but shall be filled.

“Now, when the multitude had all eaten and drunk, behold, they were filled with the Spirit.”14

With these words, Christ teaches us that the Spirit heals and renews our souls. The promised blessing of the sacrament is that we will “always have his Spirit to be with [us].”15

North_Star
captain of 100

Post by North_Star »

My favorite talk? Well....off the top of my head it would be Martin Luther King's "I have a dream."

samizdat
captain of 1,000

Post by samizdat »

There were many good talks. Can't really say I have a specific favorite talk but there were quite a few that inspired me...

Jörg Klebingat's talk was excellent as was Elder Robbins and President Monson in Priesthood session. I also liked how the Chinese elder had the ward council illustration in there perfectly so that we can see that it is EVERYONE's responsibility to make sure the Hastening of the work goes smoothly...

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Elder Hollands talk probably should be reviewed several times.
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... s?lang=eng

Given the monumental challenge of addressing inequity in the world, what can one man or woman do?

“She hath done what she could”! What a succinct formula!

the journalist concluded that Christianity is obviously not a statistical endeavor.

For one thing, we can, as King Benjamin taught, cease withholding our means because we see the poor as having brought their misery upon themselves.

In addition to taking merciful action in their behalf, we should also pray for those in need.

Now, lest I be accused of proposing quixotic global social programs or of endorsing panhandling as a growth industry, I reassure you that my reverence for principles of industry, thrift, self-reliance, and ambition is as strong as that of any man or woman alive. We are always expected to help ourselves before we seek help from others. Furthermore, I don’t know exactly how each of you should fulfill your obligation to those who do not or cannot always help themselves. But I know that God knows, and He will help you and guide you in compassionate acts of discipleship if you are conscientiously wanting and praying and looking for ways to keep a commandment He has given us again and again.

Rensai
captain of 1,000

Post by Rensai »

There were many good talks this time. I think its one of the better conferences, at least for me, in many years. I particularly liked Elder Jörg Klebingat's talk and President Uchtdorf's Saturday morning and priesthood session talks (of the two, I liked the priesthood session talk a little more). Like many others, I also enjoyed Elder Hollands talk Saturday afternoon as well. I felt the spirit especially strongly during all of these, as if it were saying I should be extra attentive. I plan on reading Elder Jörg Klebingat's 6 steps every day until they've sunk in.

SempiternalHarbinger
captain of 1,000

Post by SempiternalHarbinger »

Last edited by SempiternalHarbinger on October 10th, 2014, 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Semp ---

Thank you for saying what needs to be said. I also know, personally, people in great need who have been turned away by their leaders, when they humbly asked for help. I'm not at liberty to give details, but my heart also breaks when I hear Holland give this "impassioned" plea, considering his surroundings while saying them.

Desert Roses
captain of 1,000

Post by Desert Roses »

Sister McConkie...she just laid it on the line. Usually the sisters' talks are kind of sweet, mushy, and meant for warm fuzzies (maybe that's a little exaggeration, but usually the sisters are not as direct as the brethren).
We are grateful for a church “built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone.”7 The Lord’s house is a house of order, and we need never be deceived about where to look for answers to our questions or uncertain about which voice to follow. We need not be “tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine.”8 God reveals His word through His ordained servants, “for the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God.”9 When we choose to live according to the words of the prophets, we are on the covenant path that leads to eternal perfection.

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

For me, it's a toss-up between David Bednar, and Russell Nelson's talks - but probably not for the same reasons as others here.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Elder Perry gave an excellent talk!

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... s?lang=eng
The Savior is the Master Teacher. We follow Him.

The scriptures testify of Him and provide an example of perfect righteousness for us to follow. I have shared with the body of the Church at a previous conference that I have a number of notebooks in which my mother had recorded material she was using to prepare her Relief Society lessons. The notes are as timely today as they were then. One of these was a quote written in 1908 by Charles Edward Jefferson on the character of Jesus Christ. It reads:

“To be a Christian is to admire Jesus so sincerely and so fervently that the whole life goes out to him in an aspiration to be like him.

“… We may come to know him through the words he spoke, through the deeds he did, and also through his silences. We may know him also by the impression which he made first upon his friends and secondly upon his foes, and thirdly upon the general body of his contemporaries. …

Men and women are shaped partly by those among whom they choose to live. Those to whom they look up and try to emulate also shape them. Jesus is the great Exemplar. The only way to find lasting peace is to look to Him and live.

That old enemy of all mankind has found as many devices as he can think of to scatter tares far and wide. He has found ways to have them penetrate even the sanctity of our own homes. The wicked and worldly ways have become so widespread there seems to be no real way of weeding them out. They come by wire and through the air into the very devices we have developed to educate and entertain us. The wheat and the tares have grown close together. A steward managing the field must, with all his or her power, nourish that which is good and make it so strong and beautiful the tares will have no appeal either to the eye or the ear. How blessed are we as members of the Lord’s Church to have the precious gospel of our Lord and Savior as a foundation on which we can build our lives.

We certainly have been warned of events that we will be facing in our day. Our challenge will be how we prepare for the events the Lord has said are surely still to come.

It is my firm conviction that there has never been a period in my many years of life when our Father in Heaven’s children have needed the guiding hand of faithful, devoted parents more. We have a great and noble heritage of parents giving up almost everything they possess to find a place where they could rear their families with faith and courage so the next generation would have greater opportunities than had been theirs. We must find within ourselves that same determined spirit and overcome the challenges we face with the same spirit of sacrifice. We must instill in future generations an ever stronger reliance on the teachings of our Lord and Savior.

It is the gospel of Jesus Christ that provides this foundation upon which we can find lasting peace and build eternal family units. Of this I testify in the name of our Lord and Savior, even Jesus Christ, amen.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Monson's priesthood talk "Guided Safely Home" was good.
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... e?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Almost as good as his 1982 version, "Sailing Safely the Seas of Life"
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... e?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;