Go Sign Up (it doesn't hurt)

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Obrien
Up, up and away.

Go Sign Up (it doesn't hurt)

Post by Obrien »

http://bycommonconsent.org/

if I did that right, you should be looking at a link the go and view a simply worded petition. the purpose of the petition is to let the church leaders know we want transparency in church finance. read it. be bold and sign it.

what's the worst that can happen - you self identify as a responsible person seeking to be responsible and they take away your temple recommend and kick you out of the church? does that idea concern you? doesn't it bother you more to be in a fear-based relationship?

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Re: Go Sign Up (it doesn't hurt)

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

Done.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

sweet! btw, I signed up, too, in case that wasn't clear in the OP.

Cowboy
captain of 100

Post by Cowboy »

Let's all steady the Ark....

jockeybox
captain of 100

Post by jockeybox »

Cowboy wrote:Let's all steady the Ark....
It's not ark steadying, it's scriptural accountability.
D&C 104
71 And there shall not any part of it be used, or taken out of the treasury, only by the voice and common consent of the order.

72 And this shall be the voice and common consent of the order—that any man among you say to the treasurer: I have need of this to help me in my stewardship—
Do you have any scriptural support on why the financial books shouldn't be open?

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Cowboy - that's quite a pessimistic take on a simple petition, if I'm reading your implication correctly...

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

President Hinckley stated that the financial information of our church
“belongs to those that made the contribution”.
I heard him make that statement during an interview that was videotaped. Very clear statement by our leader, and I certainly sustain him in the goal of truth and transparency.

Thanks, Obrien.

boo
captain of 1,000

Post by boo »

Look at the report of the April 1950 and 1951 general Conference. They contain a multi page financial disclosure and continue the tradition established in the beginning of the church .It then became a hidden issue when the church almost ran out f money because of financial mismanagement by people like Henry D Moyle. Nathan Eldon Tanner ( Hugh B Browns nephew ) was called to fix the financial mess that had been created and very thing has been secret ever since. I am signing up.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

President Hinckley's quote is in the petition. this petition should appeal to everyone who contributes to the church. the tbms can justify it with the words of the prophets, the more socially liberal can justify it based on democratic principles and the donating skeptics can sign on just for spite.

come on cowboy, you can do it!

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

sen6b wrote:I can honestly say that it DOESN'T bother me about as much as it DOES bother you.
then don't sign it. there's no compulsion here, just gentleness, meeknesss and love unfeigned.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robert Sinclair »

I read it and it does no harm whatsoever in telling the truth.

I am one who loves the truth. :)

I did sign to have the truth manifested. ♡

wompus
captain of 100

Post by wompus »

Why sign the petition... all those critical of the church say they can go directly to the Lord and he'll reveal the truth of EVERYTHING to you... why not ask the Lord to tell you how the church is spending your money? Or does the Lord NOT reveal the truth of EVERYTHING to us... why will the Lord keep secret how the Church is spending his money?

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

question: how will knowing/not knowing affect your testimonies?

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

Cowboy wrote:Let's all steady the Ark....
I have a feeling that if poor old Uzzah let that Ark hit the ground, the story would have been re-written to say he was wrong to do so.

Poor Uzzah. Just trying to help.

hyloglyph
captain of 1,000

Post by hyloglyph »

Don't sign up people.

Secrets are good.

Transparency is bad.

Just have faith.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

iWriteStuff wrote:question: how will knowing/not knowing affect your testimonies?
great question. it would be sad if your testimony were affected at all. I have a testimony of Jesus Christ. the risen Lord. how "the brethren" spend money has no impact on that.

like with anyone else, HOW they spend money is a good barometer of where their hearts are. do their words ( which are cheap) align with their actions ( which can be expensive). I guess it's the only empirical way we have to assess them.

disclosure won't affect my testimony, but it might affect future donations.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

wompus wrote:Why sign the petition... all those critical of the church say they can go directly to the Lord and he'll reveal the truth of EVERYTHING to you... why not ask the Lord to tell you how the church is spending your money? Or does the Lord NOT reveal the truth of EVERYTHING to us... why will the Lord keep secret how the Church is spending his money?
there's this thing called a period. it is one "dot". it's what grownups use when discussing ideas.

kathedralegs
captain of 100

Post by kathedralegs »

Hmmm. (Oops one dot per OBrien ;) ) Tried twice and it says there is a problem with the server. Is that my end or their end? Will try again later for certain.

Edit: Oops! I apparently already signed it last year :ymblushing:
Last edited by kathedralegs on September 15th, 2014, 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DPeterson
captain of 100

Post by DPeterson »

Done.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

kathedralegs wrote:Hmmm. (Oops one dot per OBrien ;) ) Tried twice and it says there is a problem with the server. Is that my end or their end? Will try again later for certain.

Edit: Oops! I apparently already signed it last year :ymblushing:

sweet, see how easy and painless it is. I thought we might have crashed their servers with 12 signups in 4 hours. that's almost a 1% increase in 4 hrs. good job people!

BringerOfJoy
captain of 100

Post by BringerOfJoy »

Done. Thanks.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Anything to help awaken the old men and administers of the law to come out of their dreams that it's ok to take a million dollars for ourselves and withhold from the poor and needy among us, the billions donated for the poor from the faithful Saints, there is no sin in us.

Yes as for Ephraim:

"The iniquity of Ephraim is bound up, his sin is hid." (Hosea 13:12)

"He is a merchant, the balances of deceit are in his hand: he loveth to oppress.

And Ephraim said, Yet I am become rich, I have found me out substance: in all my labors they shall find none iniquity in me that were sin." ( HOSEA 12:7-8)

"O Israel, return unto the Lord thy God; for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity." (Hosea 14:1) :)
Last edited by Robert Sinclair on September 15th, 2014, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

:( I'm a gentile.

thanks for signing the petition Robert.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

DPeterson wrote:Done.
you are the 1776th signer of the petition. quite an auspicious honor.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Purify your heart and wait with patient hope while sounding the alarm with care for the brethren.

None of us wish for Ephraim to bake in the lake "if" at all possible. :)

I hope their is still enough time to pull back from the abyss before it's too late. ♡

Does not look too promising in the book of Enoch for the blind sheep and twelve and seventy shepherds though.♡