THE INTELLECTUAL DECLINE OF LDS CONSERVATISM

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
KMCopeland
captain of 1,000

THE INTELLECTUAL DECLINE OF LDS CONSERVATISM

Post by KMCopeland »

I was inspired to post this article by the topic "How would you define a liberal in the church?" The answers were horrifyingly ignorant. And it's very sad. Because once upon a time, political thought in the church was, if indeed very traditionally conservative, it was reasoned. Thoughtful. Informed. Boy is it ever not any more. Now, if you're a liberal, you don't have a testimony. Just read that thread.

Stumbled upon this excellent article. Thought it was germane.

"UTAH’S NEW SENATOR AND THE INTELLECTUAL DECLINE OF LDS CONSERVATISM

In Sunday’s New York Times, legal scholar Jeffrey Rosen’s profile of newly-elected Utah Senator Mike Lee had the alarmist tone of the newly initiated: Rosen painted Lee as a “radical Constitutionalist” whose views “appear to be inspired” by the writings of Cleon Skousen, a controversial Mormon arch-conservative once little known outside of LDS circles but now made legendary by Glenn Beck ...

The Skousen-ish worldview Lee appeals to has been decried even by conservative-leaning Brigham Young University political science professors, who describe it as “lacking in substance and scholarly research” and smacking of “anti-intellectualism” ...

The real pity here for LDS folks is the loss of nuance, sophistication, and substance in just one generation of LDS conservatism ..."

http://religiondispatches.org/utahs-new ... servatism/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wompus
captain of 100

Re: THE INTELLECTUAL DECLINE OF LDS CONSERVATISM

Post by wompus »

:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

Oh you make me laugh... You show your true colors oh too easy... Can you send me a half dozen 'yes we can' bumper stickers... I know you've got some lying around...

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

wompus wrote::)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

Oh you make me laugh... You show your true colors oh too easy... Can you send me a half dozen 'yes we can' bumper stickers... I know you've got some lying around...
I think this post illustrates the OP adequately.

samizdat
captain of 1,000

Post by samizdat »

Once again liberals accusing conservatives of being intellectually arrogant.

The prophets have definitely had a conservative bent when it comes to morals. When it comes to economics not so much, though many would argue they are libertarian on that front.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

I previously spent a lot of time on the conservative bandwagon, hating liberals, decrying their actions and motives, wishing I could tear the hippy assinine bumper stickers off their cars. Then I got a lot more education, did a lot of outside study on some of their policies re: fiscal and monetary policy, and started to soften my stance a bit. I say a bit. I still wasn't thrilled with their social policies.

Long story short, the more I read, the more I realized neither side is right and the whole spectacle is meant to divide rather than unite people. Even here on this forum, there are divisions based on the political spectrum, which is ludicrous when you consider that our main loyalty is supposed to be to God and His church, not to any political philosophy.

We are now at a phase in our culture where we spend our waking hours trying to convince the other side that the bathrooms on our side of the great and spacious building smell better than the ones on the oppositions' side. Truth is, there is no janitor and both sides have stunk for quite a long time. The only permanent solution has been and will be the collapse of the great and spacious building.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

I will take revelation over intellectual reasoning any day.
Gordon B. Hinckley wrote:The humanists who criticize us, the so-called intellectuals who demean us, speak only from ignorance of this manifestation. … They have not heard it because they have not sought after it and prepared themselves to be worthy of it. …
Be Not Deceived

Spencer W. Kimball wrote:We must prepare ourselves, both individually and as a church, to defend the gospel truths against a world steeped in atheism and godlessness. We must oppose the so-called intellectuals who reason that they have all the answers, and we must contend mightily with those whose lust for power and worldly gain destroy their sense of right and wrong.
Fortify Your Homes Against Evil

Glenn L. Pace wrote:Elder Faust describes this type of intellectual as “a person who continues to chase after a bus even after he has caught it.” We invite everyone to get on the bus before it’s out of sight and you are left forever trying to figure out the infinite with a finite mind. In the words of Elijah, “How long halt ye between two opinions? if the Lord be God, follow him.”
Follow the Prophet

James E. Faust wrote:Now comes the challenge to prevent the scientific, technical, and intellectual from stifling the spiritual enlightenment in our lives. As someone once said, “The greatest of undeveloped resources [in our country] is faith; the greatest of unused power is prayer.” 10 Technology may help us communicate with each other and the world, but not with God.
The Shield of Faith

Cowboy
captain of 100

Post by Cowboy »

another bomb thrown by the Obama apologist!

Steve Clark
captain of 1,000

Post by Steve Clark »

I largely agree with the concept of intellectual decline. Years ago I attended the UVSC rally when Sean Hannity came to talk. After about 10 minutes I was really glad Michael Moore didn't accept the invitation to debate. Hannity was a freaking moron, and the crowd loved his platitudes. I got nothing substantial from anything he said.

There seems to be a deep hypocrisy among the right. Government control of individuals is bad, unless it's telling them they can't smoke marijuana, or engage in any other activity that they feel is icky.

Killing unborn children is morally reprehensible, but killing children with drones and mutilating them with the after effects of depleted uranium is ok. Government spending is also bad unless it is on needless wars.

All of the so-called principles upon which modern conservatism is framed are filled with exceptions for all different scenarios leaving it on a sandy foundation.

For more information, see THIS thread from ajax.

KMCopeland
captain of 1,000

Post by KMCopeland »

wompus wrote:Oh you make me laugh... You show your true colors oh too easy... Can you send me a half dozen 'yes we can' bumper stickers... I know you've got some lying around...
I don't have any of those. I do however, have an "Obama/Biden" bumper sticker on my truck. They love me at church. As you can imagine. Some of them think it can only mean I've lost my testimony. Just like you. Then there are the smart ones ... and what makes you think I'm trying to hide my true colors? Oh great discerning one?

jonah4:4
captain of 50

Post by jonah4:4 »

iWriteStuff wrote:I previously spent a lot of time on the conservative bandwagon, hating liberals, decrying their actions and motives, wishing I could tear the hippy assinine bumper stickers off their cars. Then I got a lot more education, did a lot of outside study on some of their policies re: fiscal and monetary policy, and started to soften my stance a bit. I say a bit. I still wasn't thrilled with their social policies.

Long story short, the more I read, the more I realized neither side is right and the whole spectacle is meant to divide rather than unite people. Even here on this forum, there are divisions based on the political spectrum, which is ludicrous when you consider that our main loyalty is supposed to be to God and His church, not to any political philosophy.

We are now at a phase in our culture where we spend our waking hours trying to convince the other side that the bathrooms on our side of the great and spacious building smell better than the ones on the oppositions' side. Truth is, there is no janitor and both sides have stunk for quite a long time. The only permanent solution has been and will be the collapse of the great and spacious building.

True, true, so true....

ChantDownBabylonNWO
captain of 10

Post by ChantDownBabylonNWO »

Conservatives', what a joke…It is double speak, its is Orwellian language. It means nothing since none of them follow it. Libertarians are the true Liberals and Conservatives, ultimate Liberty and teeny tiny ittty bitty Federal Government.

"I am a libertarian. I want to be known as a libertarian and as a constitutionalist…
- Prophet Ezra Taft Benson - 1962 ("The Red Carpet")

KMCopeland
captain of 1,000

Post by KMCopeland »

Robin Hood wrote:
wompus wrote::)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

I think this post illustrates the OP adequately.
Great minds think alike I guess.

Benjamin Harrison
captain of 100

Post by Benjamin Harrison »

Chalk another one up for Chantdown!