#ShareGoodness

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
bookofalma
Hi, I'm new.

#ShareGoodness

Post by bookofalma »

Today, we have been invited "to sweep the earth as with a flood" by Elder David A. Bednar! It feels as if the hastening is accelerating.

https://www.lds.org/church/share/goodness

https://www.lds.org/prophets-and-apostl ... d?lang=eng

e-eye
captain of 100

Re: #ShareGoodness

Post by e-eye »

bookofalma wrote:Today, we have been invited "to sweep the earth as with a flood" by Elder David A. Bednar! It feels as if the hastening is accelerating.

https://www.lds.org/church/share/goodness

https://www.lds.org/prophets-and-apostl ... d?lang=eng

So instead of arguing the gospel like what is done here we are to share it. The hastening of the work continues

wildernessdaughter
captain of 50

Post by wildernessdaughter »

Elder Bednar referred to "the hastening of the work" at least seven or eight times in that talk. I love that we can all play a part, even if we aren't full time missionaries.

These truly are the last days. The Lord will accomplish his work in unexpected ways.

hyloglyph
captain of 1,000

Post by hyloglyph »

Check out the pics...

Corporate merger between lds inc and pinterest?

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

wildernessdaughter wrote:Elder Bednar referred to "the hastening of the work" at least seven or eight times in that talk.
How many times do the sciptures mention it?
hyloglyph wrote:Check out the pics...

Corporate merger between lds inc and pinterest?
You mean this:
400-flood-the-earth_8.jpg
400-flood-the-earth_8.jpg (97.81 KiB) Viewed 1862 times
Rumor is, his next talk will be to missionaries at the MTC regarding proper p-day attire with the Nike swoosh in the background.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robert Sinclair »

The Internet is being used for full time missionary work. I have a nephew that was surprised to be called to one. Instead of being sent somewhere on the earth he is a social media missionary full time. A young child today has the ability to be reached just playing around with a phone.

I have very young grandchildren that mostly play games. But if not watchful of what they are touching on the screen I can see a reason for concern that as much good as possible be put out, as there is plenty of bad things just by touching a screen in an instant suddenly taken to sights and sounds no parents would want their children to see or be witnesses to.

Good for them to spread as much uplifting messages as possible. Even curious young teens reaching out for just someone to talk to, better for them to find missionaries who would be kind and helpful and harmless than with depraved individuals or sites. Reaching out to people who are searching on these sites for something or someone to share with and spend time with to spread goodness rather than evil is a wise move. :)

wildernessdaughter
captain of 50

I am suprised this thread hasn't gained more traction on the last days/signs of the times forum.

The message I took from Elder Bednar's talk is that we ARE indeed living in the last days and the prochecies found in the scriptures -- particularly those about the Lord hastening his work -- are coming to pass. I found it to be an incredibly powerful, prophetic talk.

Sometimes I think we focus too much on the destruction part of the last days and ignore the wonderful, positive signs of the times.

@ajax: The word "hasten" or "hastening" in the context of the last days is found (I think) 4 times in the scriptures -- In Isaiah 60, D&C 88, and Isaiah 5/2 Nephi 15.

jockeybox
captain of 100

Post by jockeybox »

ajax wrote:How many times do the sciptures mention it?
I think a better question is how many scriptures did Bednar mention.
I'll save you the time. 2.
47 minutes and two whopping scriptures were covered.
Facebook got more airtime than "the good word".

jockeybox
captain of 100

Post by jockeybox »

wildernessdaughter wrote:Elder Bednar referred to "the hastening of the work" at least seven or eight times in that talk. I love that we can all play a part, even if we aren't full time missionaries.
I hate to nit-pick, but I only counted four times. More than enough in my opinion.
wildernessdaughter wrote:These truly are the last days. The Lord will accomplish his work in unexpected ways.
Is facebook, pinterest, and movie trailers really considered "unexpected" in your book?
Or giving missionaries iPad's really that unprecedented?
It's seems that is exactly the way babylon (or any business) would focus when promoting a cause. Fluff and no substance.

I guess I expect something more reminiscent of experiences listed in the scriptures.
Maybe raising the dead.
Turning a river from it's course.
Passing through fire unharmed.
Hell, I'm not fussy, just give me a revelation.
Maybe I expect too much from a prophet.

*edited grammar
Last edited by jockeybox on August 21st, 2014, 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

jockeybox
captain of 100

Post by jockeybox »

wildernessdaughter wrote:I found it to be an incredibly powerful, prophetic talk.
I may be coming across as a jerk. I apologize. I need to work on that.
However, I would like your opinion, what exactly did you find prophetic. And I mean this sincerely, as I think there is a big disconnect on what is actually considered prophecy, from one that has the title prophet. I do not equate this to prophecy:
"the time has come for us as disciples of Christ to use these inspired tools (social media) appropriately and much more effectively"
Last edited by jockeybox on August 21st, 2014, 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

So, am I now considered a "less-than" member because I abhor Facebook, I think Twitter is pointless, and Pinterest is too cutesy for grown-ups, and they are all a waste of time? Embracing and promoting the things of Babylon would be a very "unexpected" way, indeed, for the Lord to bring about Zion.

samizdat
captain of 1,000

Post by samizdat »

Even in areas widely considered to be Babylonian, Zion can still get her message across.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

wildernessdaughter wrote:@ajax: The word "hasten" or "hastening" in the context of the last days is found (I think) 4 times in the scriptures -- In Isaiah 60, D&C 88, and Isaiah 5/2 Nephi 15.
Who is hastening? God or man? If God, does he say it? Was there a revelation to Monson? Did Monson even say it?

What is being hastened? The cause of Zion? The cause of man? There are many "non-hasten" sciptures that could be pointed to.

Consider:
http://totheremnant.blogspot.com/2014/0 ... usion.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And this:
http://russellyanderson.com/DenverSnuff ... n-Zion.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(middle of pg 16 - top of pg 20)

wildernessdaughter
captain of 50

jockeybox wrote: I may be coming across as a jerk. I apologize. I need to work on that.

Yes, you are coming across as a jerk, but that's okay. Some people are just a little rough around the edges. I can handle it. :)
jockeybox wrote:Is facebook, pinterest, and movie trailers really considered "unexpected" in your book?
Or giving missionaries iPad's really that unprecedented?
It's seems that is exactly the way babylon (or any business) would focus when promoting a cause. Fluff and no substance.

Maybe I missed something really obvious, but, yes, I think regular people using everyday tools to accomplish a work as great as the Lord's IS unexpected. It adds meaning to Nephi's words about "small and simple things." Miracles that would be considered "great" (e.g. raising someone from the dead, turning a river from it's course, passing through fire unharmed) -- that is what many would expect from a God of miracles, but instead, he has turned the expectations on their face and is using the weak things of the earth to accomplish his work by sharing simple testimony of the truth of the restored gospel. Just like a bunch of immature and awkward 18 year old kids can, through the Spirit, bring hundreds of thousands into the fold. Pretty unexpected, if you ask me.
jockeybox wrote:However, I would like your opinion, what exactly did you find prophetic. And I mean this sincerely, as I think there is a big disconnect on what is actually considered prophecy, from one that has the title prophet. I do not equate this to prophecy:
According to Rev. 19:10, the testimony of Jesus Christ is the spirit of prophecy. Elder Bednar said: "I witness the Father and the Son live. The Savior stands at the head of His Church in these latter days. He is hastening His work, and no unhallowed hand can stop this work from progressing."

As I was listening to Elder Bednar's words, I felt the Spirit testify to me that this is true. That the things happening, although they may seem ordinary, are signs of the days that we are living in and the proximity of the His coming. I consider that to be prophecy.
Lizzy60 wrote:So, am I now considered a "less-than" member because I abhor Facebook, I think Twitter is pointless, and Pinterest is too cutesy for grown-ups, and they are all a waste of time? Embracing and promoting the things of Babylon would be a very "unexpected" way, indeed, for the Lord to bring about Zion.
I am not a big social media user, either. I think the last time I posted to FB was more than a year ago. But I recognize that there is an opportunity for me to share my beliefs and my testimony through those channels and in general. The spirit of Elder Bednar's message is to share your testimony using whatever means you have available to you. I didn't get from the message that we need to be obsessive users of every social media outlet. Maybe FB isn't your cup of tea, but Pinterest is. Or maybe you're more of an Instagrammer. Or maybe you choose to share your testimony through that antiquated thing called email. Or on a forum such as this. Satan will use tools like these for his purposes, but we can use them to further the work of the Lord.
jockeybox wrote:I think a better question is how many scriptures did Bednar mention
Actually, I counted 10.

*edited for formatting

jockeybox
captain of 100

Post by jockeybox »

wildernessdaughter wrote:Yes, you are coming across as a jerk, but that's okay. Some people are just a little rough around the edges. I can handle it. :)
I appreciate your level of forgiveness. I am in great need of it.

wildernessdaughter wrote:Maybe I missed something really obvious, but, yes, I think regular people using everyday tools to accomplish a work as great as the Lord's IS unexpected. It adds meaning to Nephi's words about "small and simple things." Miracles that would be considered "great" (e.g. raising someone from the dead, turning a river from it's course, passing through fire unharmed) -- that is what many would expect from a God of miracles, but instead, he has turned the expectations on their face and is using the weak things of the earth to accomplish his work by sharing simple testimony of the truth of the restored gospel. Just like a bunch of immature and awkward 18 year old kids can, through the Spirit, bring hundreds of thousands into the fold. Pretty unexpected, if you ask me.
We disagree, kind of. That's okay. I respect your conclusion. I completely support that the Lord uses small means to accomplish a great work. Social media? sure. But I just don't equate social media to a great and unexpected work. Almost any monolith business would use these exact same tactics to grow their business to refocus efforts on current trending ideas. It's the opposite of unexpected in my opinion.
wildernessdaughter wrote:According to Rev. 19:10, the testimony of Jesus Christ is the spirit of prophecy. Elder Bednar said: "I witness the Father and the Son live. The Savior stands at the head of His Church in these latter days. He is hastening His work, and no unhallowed hand can stop this work from progressing."

Is "the spirit of prophecy" and "prophecy" the same. Maybe, maybe not. Something I've been mulling over. If this is Bednar's prophecy, it kind of sounds like gathered sounds bites I hear at every general conference. More people should read those links ajax provided. Who actually said "He is hastening the work". Did that come from the Lord to his people as prophetic council. Of did we culturally spin that phrase and create our own prophecy.
wildernessdaughter wrote:As I was listening to Elder Bednar's words, I felt the Spirit testify to me that this is true. That the things happening, although they may seem ordinary, are signs of the days that we are living in and the proximity of the His coming. I consider that to be prophecy.
I can't take anything away that God is telling you . I do agree that "things" are happening. Something might be hastened, but that is for the Lord to direct.
wildernessdaughter wrote:Actually, I counted 10.
First, I was wrong. There were more than two. I apologize. There were a couple more that was close to a full verse read.
Using small snipets : ‘from the four corners of the earth' or 'shine forth out of darkness' can count on technicality. They're just little bits thrown in, not what I would consider a scriptural meal. However, I do recognize my error and admit there were more than two.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I have already been active online for a number of years since Elder Ballard suggested we share the gospel on the internet.

http://latterdaylamanite.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

So what's up with the # anyway? Do I text #ShareGoodness on my cell phone? Do I go on Twitter and type in #ShareGoodness? Do I go on Facebook and type in #ShareGoodness on my timeline? I don't get it. I'm old.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

coachmarc wrote:So what's up with the # anyway? Do I text #ShareGoodness on my cell phone? Do I go on Twitter and type in #ShareGoodness? Do I go on Facebook and type in #ShareGoodness on my timeline? I don't get it. I'm old.
The symbol is a hashtag. That means it's Twitter. That's all I know, and all I want to know. I'm old AND tired!

caddis
captain of 1,000

Post by caddis »

jockeybox wrote:
ajax wrote:How many times do the sciptures mention it?
I think a better question is how many scriptures did Bednar mention.
I'll save you the time. 2.
47 minutes and two whopping scriptures were covered.
Facebook got more airtime than "the good word".
Yes, but did he re-hash a previous conference talk by one of the other GA's? That passes as being spiritually fed from the scriptures these days. :D

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

Circular citations just prove that all truth is circumscribed into one great whole.

TZONE
captain of 1,000

Post by TZONE »

Sorry but you can't hasten the work. Won't happen! Nothing has changed besides adding a new slogan.
It is not the multitude of preachers that is to bring about the glorious Millenium! but it is those who are “Called, and chosen, and faithful.”

Let the elders be exceedingly careful about un necessarily disturbing the and harrowing up the feeling of the people. Remember that your busi ness is, to preach the gospel, in all humility and meekness, and warn sinners to repent and come to Christ. Avoid contentions and vain disputes with men of corrupt minds, who do not desire to know the truth. Remember that “it is a day of warning, and not a day of many words,” If they receive not your testimony in one place, flee to another, remembering, to cast no reflections, nor throw out any bitter sayings. If you do your duty. it will be just as well with you, as though all men embraced the gospel.

Be careful about sending boys to preach the gospel to the world; if they go, let them be accom panied by some one who is able to guide them in the proper channel, lest they become puffed up, and fall under condemnation and into the snare of the Devil: finally, in these critical times, be careful; call on the Lord day and night. (Joseph Smith Papers, History, 1838–1856, volume A-1 [23 December 1805–30 August 1834], pg 401)
Why don't we become called first?
Oliver cowdery wrote,

“It is necessary that you receive a testimony from heaven for yourselves; so that you can bear testimony to the truth of the Book of Mormon, and that you have seen the face of God.” Then he continued, “That is more than the testimony of an angel….Never cease striving until you have seen God face to face.” (Joseph Smith Papers, History, 1838–1856, volume B-1 [1 September 1834–2 November 1838])
Or earlier in the lecture Cowdery said this.
"Tarry at Kirtland until you are endowed with power from on high."
Nothign will change until a group of people converse with the Lord. The prophecies requires us to do this.

The Lord quoted Isaiah and said the same thing.
36 And then shall be brought to pass that which is written: Awake, awake again, and put on thy strength, O Zion; put on thy beautiful garments, O Jerusalem, the holy city, for henceforth there shall no more come into thee the uncircumcised and the unclean.
Put on thy strength, or thy priesthood as defined in D&C which is received in the Lords presence.

As the Oath and Covenant states "I now confirm upon you who are present this day, by mine own voice out of the heavens" (D&C 84:42) or as Joseph put it ""the Keys of this priesthood consisted in obtaining the voice of Jehovah that he talked with him in a familiar and friendly manner". (Joseph Smith Papers, here)" No man has these keys until they obtain this voice out of the heavens. Also seen in the Joseph Smith Translation of Genesis 14. "And it was delivered unto men by the calling of his own voice" (JST Genesis 14:29) Notice its His voice not mans. By His calling not mans. No man can bestow this power except God. Thus "All the prophets had the Melchizedek Priesthood and were ordained by God himself" (TPJS, pp. 180-81)

LDSguy
captain of 100

Post by LDSguy »

Our sacrament meeting topic today is "The Hastening". It's ramping up folks!