The Rise of Modern Mormonism

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
BagleyDarwin
captain of 100

The Rise of Modern Mormonism

Post by BagleyDarwin »

Here you go “boo” and for the others who asked so nicely for it. Some idiot left off the page numbers. I wonder who would do such a thing? I couldn't find a copy of the other stuff. I had a whole big pile (file) of stuff containing accounts of who saw the Lord and who talked with the Lord and who dreamed of the Lord; but, I haven't been able to find that anywhere that it should be. It's as if somebody erased it from my hard drive.

--
--

As quoted from the book, “David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism,” we have this experience:

In the years since 1978, many in the church have supposed that [LDS Prophet Spencer W.] Kimball received the revelation [granting the Blacks the Priesthood] because he asked the Lord, whereas his predecessors, including [LDS Prophet David O.] McKay, did not ask. Yet in the decades following his death, it has gradually become apparent that he [David O. McKay] wrestled with the subject for years and years, making it a matter of intense prayer on numerous occasions. His earliest inquiry, as far as we have record, was referred to earlier in this chapter and occurred in 1954, shortly after his return from South Africa. Other inquiries followed. . . . The subject had come up in several such meetings; and obviously venting from private feelings, he [David O. McKay] told the secretaries in his reception room that he had inquired of the Lord several times on the matter, and that the answer was, “Not yet.”

But, the most remarkable account came from Richard Jackson, an architect who served in the Church Building Department from 1968 through the time of McKay’s death in 1970, “I remember one day that President McKay came into the office. We could see that he was very much distressed. He said, “I’ve had it! I’m not going to do it again!” Somebody said, “What?” He said, “Well, I’m badgered constantly about giving the priesthood to the Negro. I’ve inquired of the Lord repeatedly. The last time I did it was late last night. I was told, with no discussion, not to bring the subject up with the Lord again; that the time will come, but it will not be my time, and to leave the subject alone.” We were all, of course, a little dumbstruck. I don’t think it has ever been written that that happened. I’ve never told anybody about that. I can still see him coming in with a bit of a distraught appearance, which was unusual for President McKay. He always appeared as if he had everything under control.

--
--

David O. McKay said: “The thing you need to remember about evolution is that the Lord has never revealed anything about the matter. People have their opinions, but the Lord has not revealed the details of how He created the earth.”

BagleyDarwin
captain of 100

Re: The Rise of Modern Mormonism

Post by BagleyDarwin »

Hopefully those who have the book will be so kind as to post their most favorite highlights here.

TannerG
captain of 100

Post by TannerG »

I thought you were referencing an appearance of The Lord to president McKay.

I think this is also cited in Lengthen Your Stride, a biographical book by President Kimballs son.

BagleyDarwin
captain of 100

Post by BagleyDarwin »

TannerG wrote:I thought you were referencing an appearance of The Lord to president McKay.

I think this is also cited in Lengthen Your Stride, a biographical book by President Kimballs son.
I haven't been able to find my copy of the part of "The Rise of Modern Mormonism" in which President McKay tells the reporter and the public that he has NEVER seen Jesus Christ but that he has heard His voice many times and knows His voice. In that report, President McKay implies that he chooses not to look up when the Lord is speaking to him.

The thing I got from this book is that David McKay was conversational with the Lord, actually hearing the Lord's voice speak to him, during most of his Presidency. All we really need to know as Latter-day Saints is that our Lord Jesus Christ speaks to His Prophets in the LDS Church from time to time telling them what He wants done and when. The quote that I did give in the original post here does indeed supply that kind of proof, for those who are willing to believe the evidence.
Last edited by BagleyDarwin on August 12th, 2014, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

pg 22-23:
Because of his optimism he was able to see past things that were stumbling blocks to other church members and even to chuckle as he accepted human foibles. He told his fellow General Authorities, “Now, Brethren, don’t you worry too much. It’s good for every dog to have a few fleas” Besides, he said, “Perfect people would be awfully tiresome to live with; their stained-glass view of things would seem a constant sermon without intermission, a continuous moral snub of superiority to our self-respect.”

And so, he gently chided Apostle John A Widsoe, whose wife advocated such a rigid interpretation of the Word of Wisdom as to proscribe chocolate because of the stimulants it contained, saying, “John, do you want to take all the joy out of life?” But he didn’t stop there. At a reception McKay attended, the hostess served rum cake. “All the guests hesitated, watching to see what McKay would do. He smacked his lips and began to eat.” When one guest expostulated, “ ‘But President McKay, don’t you know that is rum cake?’ McKay smiled and reminded the guest that the Word of Wisdom forbade drinking alcohol, not eating it.”

During intermission at a theatrical presentation, his host offered to get refreshments: “His hearing wasn’t very good, and I got right down in front of him and I said, ‘President McKay, what would you like to drink? All of our cups say Coca-Cola on them because of our arrangements with Coca-Cola Bottling, but we have root beer and we have orange and we have Seven-Up. What would you like to drink?’ And he said, ‘I don’t care what is says on the cup, as long as there is a Coke in the cup.’ “ McKay’s point was simple and refreshing: Don’t get hung up on the letter of the law to the point where you squeeze all of the spirit out of life.

e-eye
captain of 100

Post by e-eye »

ajax wrote:pg 22-23:
Because of his optimism he was able to see past things that were stumbling blocks to other church members and even to chuckle as he accepted human foibles. He told his fellow General Authorities, “Now, Brethren, don’t you worry too much. It’s good for every dog to have a few fleas” Besides, he said, “Perfect people would be awfully tiresome to live with; their stained-glass view of things would seem a constant sermon without intermission, a continuous moral snub of superiority to our self-respect.”

And so, he gently chided Apostle John A Widsoe, whose wife advocated such a rigid interpretation of the Word of Wisdom as to proscribe chocolate because of the stimulants it contained, saying, “John, do you want to take all the joy out of life?” But he didn’t stop there. At a reception McKay attended, the hostess served rum cake. “All the guests hesitated, watching to see what McKay would do. He smacked his lips and began to eat.” When one guest expostulated, “ ‘But President McKay, don’t you know that is rum cake?’ McKay smiled and reminded the guest that the Word of Wisdom forbade drinking alcohol, not eating it.”

During intermission at a theatrical presentation, his host offered to get refreshments: “His hearing wasn’t very good, and I got right down in front of him and I said, ‘President McKay, what would you like to drink? All of our cups say Coca-Cola on them because of our arrangements with Coca-Cola Bottling, but we have root beer and we have orange and we have Seven-Up. What would you like to drink?’ And he said, ‘I don’t care what is says on the cup, as long as there is a Coke in the cup.’ “ McKay’s point was simple and refreshing: Don’t get hung up on the letter of the law to the point where you squeeze all of the spirit out of life.
Ajax- I hope you chew before you swallow.

I have friend who has taken the prophet fishing and president Monson likes to drink his caffeinated drinks. He says the prophet tells some pretty funny stories too.