Spencer, Visions of glory, is he for real?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.

Spencer, is he telling the truth? deceived? or making it all up?

I believe Spencer is telling the truth about his visions, that they are indeed from God
80%
I believe Spencer's visions are real, but from the Devil
6%
I believe Spencer has created a convincing lie based off various sources and imaginations.
14%

Total votes: 35
cayenne
captain of 100

Spencer, Visions of glory, is he for real?

Post by cayenne »

What say ye?

davedan
captain of 1,000

Re: Spencer, Visions of glory, is he for real?

Post by davedan »

All I can say is that the visions are not true.

1. Christ will be wearing red at the second coming (big miss)
2. Serious holes in medical descriptions
3. There will be big problems locating clean water after nuclear attack.
4. Nuclear winter more likely (year with no rainbow)
5. The LDS Church would not hold conference in a damaged conference center. I talked to one of the contractors of the center specifically about this point. BTW: The church built a sister conference center in Rexburg.
6. Too much emphasis on leaving the body and astroprojection and nothing about resurrection. (dismissive about the importance of the body).

Leejae
captain of 100

Post by Leejae »

I believe they are real, but highly symbolic/metaphorical, and meant in large part for him. I think people are tending to take them WAAAAY too literally. I enjoyed the parts about how angels and spirits function around us, more than the largest visionary experience of the book. I'm from Cardston, incidentally! But I don't believe prophecy functions by laying out coming events in minute detail. It speaks in types and shadows, so that when the actual events occur, they can be recognized by those who are watching as a witness of God's hand in all things and his foreknowledge.

Latter-day Patriot
captain of 50

Post by Latter-day Patriot »

“Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruits; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

“A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit; neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

“Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.” (Matt. 7:15–20.)

Just as the Book of Mormon cannot be of the devil because it promotes us to do good, I believe "Visions of Glory," by that same logic also cannot be of the devil because it has promoted my wife to be more aware of our spiritual health and has even inspired us to pray more often, to read our scriptures more often, and to be more obedient to the will of the Lord. It has also motivated me to get my house in order by investing in food storage and other emergency preparedness necessities. The Church has instructed people for decades to be prepared. The adversary would have us believe that all is well and that there is no need for urgency or preparedness. You know what they say, though: It's better to be safe than sorry; to err on the side of caution. I don't think the adversary would be behind anything motivating the saints to prepare, and be alert to the signs around us, discerning truth. He would have us live in ignorance. I believe that books containing accounts of visions like "Visions of Glory," "There is No Death," and "A Greater Tomorrow," are indeed for those who witness those visions, but also stand as a strong voice of caution for others who catch the spirit of preparedness and awareness.

Bambi
captain of 100

Post by Bambi »

What I wonder is why does nobody know him (real name). He has quite a distinctive voice.
If he'd been to my ward I'd recognize him right away. He does sound like a nice guy
but other than that I'm with davedan here for the reasons he told and many more.
The book starts out nice but then the bell starts ringing louder and louder.

Latter-day Patriot
captain of 50

Bambi wrote:What I wonder is why does nobody know him (real name). He has quite a distinctive voice.
If he'd been to my ward I'd recognize him right away. He does sound like a nice guy
but other than that I'm with davedan here for the reasons he told and many more.
How do you know what his voice sounds like? If you're referring to the audiobook, isn't that John Pontius narrating?

My cousin's husband is Sarah Menet's son. My aunt (this cousin's mom) told me in an email over the weekend that "Spencer" was coming to visit Sarah Menet and that my aunt would also be there. She made it sound as if she knew "Spencer." I thought, wow, what a small world!

notjamesbond003.5
captain of 1,000

Post by notjamesbond003.5 »

I lean towards Spencer and Pontius their humility speaks to me.
I like what Denver brings even tho he's A Rough Stone Rolling.

Njb

SamFisher
captain of 100

Post by SamFisher »

davedan wrote:All I can say is that the visions are not true.

1. Christ will be wearing red at the second coming (big miss)
2. Serious holes in medical descriptions
3. There will be big problems locating clean water after nuclear attack.
4. Nuclear winter more likely (year with no rainbow)
5. The LDS Church would not hold conference in a damaged conference center. I talked to one of the contractors of the center specifically about this point. BTW: The church built a sister conference center in Rexburg.
6. Too much emphasis on leaving the body and astroprojection and nothing about resurrection. (dismissive about the importance of the body).
davedan, you're never going to let this go, are you?

1. Christ comes multiple times. He'll wear red perhaps during his visit to the Jews. You can't base your argument on this one, because the Bible is nowhere close to being descriptive enough about all the events of the last days, and all the comings and goings of heavenly beings during that future time.
2. Medical descriptions? Whatever.
3. Clean water after the nuclear attack. Makes no sense. Thousands of nukes have been exploded in testing, and nothing has happened to our water (or to the people, for that matter, except some cancers showing up later). Nuclear war is largely survivable. That's been proven.
4. Nuclear winters are a myth.
5. You can't predict how damaged a conference center will or will not be, or whether the church will use it after a quake. Silly argument.
6. Makes no doctrinal sense.

e-eye
captain of 100

Post by e-eye »

Bambi wrote:What I wonder is why does nobody know him (real name). He has quite a distinctive voice.
I know people who know him but that's the best I can do :D . Anyway, on another thread someone said he was just called as a bishop.

Bambi
captain of 100

Post by Bambi »

Latter-day Patriot wrote:
How do you know what his voice sounds like?
Here you go:
http://www.4shared.com/mp3/mShBYiPn/spe ... ?locale=de" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bambi
captain of 100

Post by Bambi »

notjamesbond003.5 wrote:I lean towards Spencer and Pontius their humility speaks to me.
Njb
He does sound like a humble guy. I'm sure he believes in what he tells.

SamFisher
captain of 100

Post by SamFisher »

The vision is legit, as is Julie Rowe's.

God, in his infinite wisdom and kindness, is providing a heads-up to the U.S. members (particularly those locally in Utah) about what to expect when Tribulation begins in our region. Hundreds if not thousands of people are having dreams and visions across the earth, as was predicted in the Bible. These blessings are based on a person's faithfulness and righteousness, not on their calling (and not even on the church to which they belong).

If any of you think that these warnings can come only from LDS GAs, you're deluded (and bigoted). All due credit to the GAs, they have their stewardship and are in charge of administering the gospel, priesthood, and preaching repentance and preparedness--but they cannot give these kinds of explicit, detailed warnings. Imagine what would become of the church if President Monson spoke of the things in VoG and Julie's book. Members would panic. The Utah economy would crash.

The Brethren will be there to call out the members before it happens--just in time--and lead the church to build Zion, as is prophesied.

You naysayers better wake up and prepare.

Jeremy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jeremy »

Bambi wrote:What I wonder is why does nobody know him (real name).
Plenty of people know his real name. Fortunately for him, those that do have not blabbered it all over the forum and other outlets, which I find to be very surprising.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

SamFisher wrote:Imagine what would become of the church if President Monson spoke of the things in VoG and Julie's book.
GASP, real prophets speaking prophetically. The very thought makes me shiver.

Oh well, corporate pencil pushing is just as cool and no less serviceable.

Army Of Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Army Of Truth »

The Lord will be clothed in red apparel at His Second Coming.

see D&C 133:46–48;

Isaiah 63:2–3;

Revelation 19:11–13.

I have read Visions of Glory and the Spirit has personally confirmed to me that it is true. I have also had personal dreams (that I've shared on this forum before) that confirm some events as well. :)
"And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions" - Joel 2:28
Last edited by Army Of Truth on July 22nd, 2014, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Army Of Truth wrote:The Lord will be clothed in red apparel at His Second Coming.

see D&C 133:46–48;

Isaiah 63:2–3;

Revelation 19:11–13.
You forgot: Denver, Ephraim, Jun 2014.

notjamesbond003.5
captain of 1,000

Bambi wrote:
notjamesbond003.5 wrote:I lean towards Spencer and Pontius their humility speaks to me.
Njb
He does sound like a humble guy. I'm sure he believes in what he tells.
Got it.

Spencer is just too stupid to realize he's been deceived according to you.

Njb

SamFisher
captain of 100

Post by SamFisher »

You just illustrated why Spencer (currently a bishop) wisely kept his identity hidden.

Latter-day Patriot
captain of 50

"And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams" (Acts 2:17).

Bill
captain of 50

Post by Bill »

A friend of mine knows him and he WAS just called as a Bishop. I have looked him up per his counseling profession. I have never met him however.

worthit
captain of 100

Post by worthit »

I did read, well honestly, try to read the book. I was so disappointed that saints could read such drivel
and call it spiritual. Truth testifies in its own name. paraphrase "He shed a tear when Christ's name is mentioned"
If you are that emotional over the Savior's name you haven't been communicating with Him enough.

His validation from the "apostolic friend" was and is ludicrous. It made him feel "secure". And Christ didn't?
I'm not sure that the gospel is all about security and warm fuzzies (ok, except maybe places in Utah)
I have not seen the Savior, but I have been in His presence. No one needs to validate that kind experience. No one.

What a sappy, meaningless, contradicting doctrine piece of junk. I asked my best friend who really likes his book
about the doctrinal errors. Her reply was that there are better parts. Better parts for what? A proven liar is read for what,
entertainment? I don't get it. I really don't get it. Aren't we supposed to take the scriptures for our guide?

Of what possible good could the "revelation" about the nurse's affair with the doctor have, except to excite the carnal mind?
Oh doesn't that just give you goose bumps all over? I don't get it.

So much fear mongering. Is that really entertaining? I'm disappointed.

I can't even see how the lie is convincing. I can't see it. It doesn't match scripture, or the spirit.

notjamesbond003.5
captain of 1,000

worthit wrote:
What a sappy, meaningless, contradicting doctrine piece of junk. .

worhit-

Maybe you could share what you feel are literary spiritual masterpieces with us ?

You know us dim witted Spencerites and Pontiusons could perhaps benefit from such a doctrinal and informed luminary as yourself -could you please help us out ?

Maybe give us a reading list ?

njb

Paisa
captain of 10

Post by Paisa »

Doctrinal errors? Please Enlighten me worthit...

shestalou
captain of 100

Post by shestalou »

I like what Denver brings even tho he's A Rough Stone Rolling.

Njb
Nailed it!!!! ;)

shestalou
captain of 100

Post by shestalou »

notjamesbond003.5 wrote:
worthit wrote:
What a sappy, meaningless, contradicting doctrine piece of junk. .

worhit-

Maybe you could share what you feel are literary spiritual masterpieces with us ?

You know us dim witted Spencerites and Pontiusons could perhaps benefit from such a doctrinal and informed luminary as yourself -could you please help us out ?

Maybe give us a reading list ?

njb
I will skip it to much negativity spewed! =;