Please submit SUGGESTIONS for improvements to the Forum...

How can we improve the forum? Need help with something on the forum?
creator
(of the Forum)

Please submit SUGGESTIONS for improvements to the Forum...

Post by creator »

I am looking for any ideas/comments/advice/suggestions you might have regarding how we can improve the forum.

Do you think that there should be more topics added to the main page http://www.LatterdayConservative.com/forum ?

Right now the forum is divided into a small amount of topics.. "God, Family, Country" + "Last Days Events / Information / Preparation" + "Ether 8 - Secret Combinations" + 2006 Elections + 2008 Elections + Introduce yourself... + Off Topic / Miscellaneous Discussion + Events, Meetings, Lectures, etc...

What additional topics should be added to the main page?

Any other suggestions?

John Adams
captain of 1,000

Post by John Adams »

Book discussion topic - i.e., Discussion about Majesty of God's Law and/or other books.

SwissMrs&Pitchfire
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by SwissMrs&Pitchfire »

I would like to see a seperate topic to discuss laying the foundations of Zion, Ie. "But what are you going to do about it?"

What are/should we do to prepare Zion.
I would love to see more discussion on the practical aspects of Zion and its governance.

I wouldn't mind seeing a non-believer section for critisism and casting stones at us believers. Then threads would hopefully get hijacked less.

Maybe even a companion to Ether 8:
What are you (or should we) do about our corrupt govt.

creator
(of the Forum)

added

Post by creator »

Book discussion topic - i.e., Discussion about Majesty of God's Law and/or other books.
Okay, I added:
Book/Video Reviews, Commentary & Recommendations

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

I would like to see a seperate topic to discuss laying the foundations of Zion, Ie. "But what are you going to do about it?"

What are/should we do to prepare Zion.
I would love to see more discussion on the practical aspects of Zion and its governance.

I wouldn't mind seeing a non-believer section for criticism and casting stones at us believers. Then threads would hopefully get hijacked less.

Maybe even a companion to Ether 8:
What are you (or should we) do about our corrupt govt.
I like these ideas. I have some questions to determine how to go about these ones...

A topic about Zion... what suggestion do you have for how to word that one? Should it be part of the Last Days preparedness topic? or separate?

Zion and its governance.... could this maybe relate to a topic on "God's Law" as described in the book by Cleon Skousen?

Non-believers section - good idea - any ideas for how to word that one?

Companion to the Ether 8 Forum - Should there be two separate sections: 1 for discussion what the Secret Combinations are and one for what to do about it? Or should that be the same thing, such as: "Ether 8 - Secret Combinations: What they are and what to do about it?"

Just trying to get some more ideas about how to word all of this to implement it on the forum?

SwissMrs&Pitchfire
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by SwissMrs&Pitchfire »

I would prefer rolling what to do about it into the title of Ether 8. Somthing like "Ether 8, Overcoming Secret Combinations"

I like "Zion and God's Law." I would definately have it seperate from "Last Days/ Events/ Preparation." When I think of the former I tend to want to roll it into a "Millenial" view, whereas with the latter I tend to think of food storage and gulchers and the whys behind them.

I don't suspect that there is any tight way to consolidate heated debates, but would like to see an "Personal Essays and Discussion" for a lot of the "me and mine" posts we have seen lately. Maybe call it "Pet Causes" and then have diatribes moved there when we get to being to preachy and single-minded.

prew
captain of 100

hmmm...

Post by prew »

A good search engine. A search engine that can list posts according to what is in the subject line or username or keyword in the message text.
We all submit good ideas and opinions. Sometimes it feels like I am repeating myself/someone or read a good post but can not find it now or I want to double check on some of my own posts to see if I was spreading bad information.

creator
(of the Forum)

search

Post by creator »

A good search engine. A search engine that can list posts according to what is in the subject line or username or keyword in the message text.
We all submit good ideas and opinions. Sometimes it feels like I am repeating myself/someone or read a good post but can not find it now or I want to double check on some of my own posts to see if I was spreading bad information.
Try playing around more with the existing search feature.. also, if you click the link to view your profile: http://latterdayconservative.com/forum/ ... rofile&u=9 you can then click "Find all posts by prew" and it takes you here:
http://latterdayconservative.com/forum/ ... uthor=prew

It lists all your posts.

Another alternative is that you can do a google search by typing:

site:latterdayconservative.com/forum secret combinations

Not sure I can do much about improving the search function... soon there will be a new release of PHPBB, which is the type of forum this is based on, maybe that will improve the search function.

In the meantime I'll see if there is any way to improve the search function...
Last edited by creator on November 3rd, 2006, 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

creator
(of the Forum)

still thinking

Post by creator »

I wouldn't mind seeing a non-believer section for criticism and casting stones at us believers. Then threads would hopefully get hijacked less.

I don't suspect that there is any tight way to consolidate heated debates, but would like to see an "Personal Essays and Discussion" for a lot of the "me and mine" posts we have seen lately. Maybe call it "Pet Causes" and then have diatribes moved there when we get to being to preachy and single-minded.
I am still debating on how exactly to implement that. Anyone else have a suggestion for that? Should I add "Personal Essays and Discussion" or a different title for it? "Pet Causes"?

prew
captain of 100

what to do, what to do

Post by prew »

I think there should be a topic where a member can submit alerts on what to do to support the constitution. For example, yesterday, during the lame-duck session of congress... Anyways, we could of sent email or fax or mail or phone messages to members of congress to voice our opinon on issues up for vote. They were voting on FTA with Peru. I haven't checked if it passed, but an Arab company does the shipping for Peru and earlier this year every one was exicted to stop an arab company from taking over control of some USA ports, yet hardly any news about this FTA with Peru. The FTA gives Peru access to the ports or the FTA gives the Arab company access to the ports.

Some want to do something; well, why not write to members of Congress and Senate to express why certain issues should pass or not. I think a thread would be nice to let others know what is up for vote so they can contact congress and senate about it.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

GREAT IDEA
I think there should be a topic where a member can submit alerts on what to do to support the constitution.

Stephen
captain of 1,000

Post by Stephen »

Is is possible to have too many categories for topics?

That RKY forum nowadays has a crazy amount of categories now. Is it the intent of this forum to keep it just the bread and butter of the current categories or to branch out?

Certainly preparedness is very....very important. Currently there is an active post regarding food storage...which has been well received. I spend a lot of my time studying preparedness...and researching stuff and I am sure others here do to...but I don't really share that info too much here....or anywhere for that matter. It may be something to consider...to have kind of a preparedness section. The RKY one is HUGE. It could be seen as a distraction to have one that big....or it could serve to invite some preparedness types to learn about the proper role of government! Or help some of us who talk about current events all of the time to learn some about preparedness.

We could use some of the same topics from RKY...or just have like a food storage recipes...and a gardening...and things to that effect.

Just some ideas.

creator
(of the Forum)

forum

Post by creator »

We definitely wouldn't want too many categories.

I'm not trying to clone what RKY has, but rather hope to branch out just a little more than what we've got currently. The RKY forum is obviously the mega-preparedness forum... this forum has more of a focus on freedom...

I am thinking maybe split the "Last Days Events / Information / Preparation" forum into two:
one for temporal preparation, food storage, etc...
the other for discussions about the spirituals part and the dreams, revelations, signs of the time.

John Adams
captain of 1,000

Re: forum

Post by John Adams »

LDSConservative wrote:... this forum has more of a focus on freedom...
Agreed. After getting the basics, preparedness becomes very individualized depending on your circumstances. However, I feel that the discussions about Constitutional Principles that this site addresses are very universal, so I wouldn't want to go too far away from the main purpose of this site.

Obviously we can learn from one another about preparedness, but I'd still keep the preparedness side somewhat small. A few threads and/or maybe just one general "Topic" category would allow for people to share ideas (and recommend other resources to explore individual needs further), but I still vote for not getting too far away from the general focus of this site.

creator
(of the Forum)

forum

Post by creator »

I feel that the discussions about Constitutional Principles that this site addresses are very universal...I still vote for not getting too far away from the general focus of this site.
I agree, and the issues you brought up are the very reason I created this forum.

After being on several other LDS forums I realized there really wasn't a forum accepting of what I call a "true LDS constitutionalist". There were some forums that deleted my posts if they had any mention of politics/government/secret combinations whatsoever.

Along those points jdadams22 brought up, are there any new topics anyone would like to see for the "political discussions"?

John Adams
captain of 1,000

Re: forum

Post by John Adams »

LDSConservative wrote: Along those points jdadams22 brought up, are there any new topics anyone would like to see for the "political discussions"?
I vote no for any new "political" topics. I am having enough trouble now trying to keep up on all the threads. I only have so much time in the day, and I find the discussion going on right now sufficient (we just need to keep getting newcomers to participate in what's already there).

Stephen
captain of 1,000

Post by Stephen »

I also don't see any holes in the political topics.

I think that it would be cool to have just a very general "preparedness"....category.

Army Of Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Army Of Truth »

Hi Brian! I've been on here for over a year and I just now saw that my website link and profile is shown at the bottom. I want to suggest that these icons be on the left side under your username somewhere so it will be more easy for people like myself who didn't notice this until a year later. Unbelievable. LOL!

Army Of Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Army Of Truth »

Is there a search function on this site? I see there is one for the forum, but not for the site like if I want to look for certain articles or topics. This would be a big help. Thanks!

creator
(of the Forum)

search

Post by creator »

Now there is a search function on the site :)

Army Of Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Army Of Truth »

Sweet! That was quick! Thanks Brian!
:D :D :D :D :D 8)

Mary
captain of 100

Re: Please submit SUGGESTIONS for improvements to the Forum.

Post by Mary »

Last edited by Mary on September 26th, 2012, 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Like »

How about an auto refresh feature every mintue on the "Lastest Post" / "View Active Post" page?

Scarecrow
captain of 100

Post by Scarecrow »

Deleted
Last edited by Scarecrow on February 15th, 2013, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Scarecrow wrote:It would be really nice if we had the option to "favorite" a post, which will put that post in a list of our favorites that we could find and access quickly without using the search function.
There is a similar function... You can bookmark a specific topic. When you're viewing a thread/topic look down at the bottom dark grey area and you'll see some buttons, one is "Bookmark Topic". To see your bookmarks go to "User Control Panel" and "Manage Bookmarks".