Another One

Tell us about yourself...
scottieb76
Hi, I'm new.

Another One

Post by scottieb76 »

Another new guy here.

I enjoy reading the forums, but just lurking will not get me access to the restricted forums, so I suppose it’s time to introduce myself.

I’ll try to be brief, but it’s been a long journey. I was born and raised, but I was somewhat of a wayward child. I always ‘believed’ but I had a hard time doing. I had difficulties with the WoW, among other things. I guess I just liked having fun, and you are your friends. I never went on a mission and got married very young. I tried, but always seemed to have one foot in the world, and one foot in the gospel. After 10 years of marriage to a very dysfunctional alcoholic, I got divorced and received full custody of my three kids. We were on our own for several years, but eventually I decided that I needed a wife, and my kids needed a mom. I wanted someone amazing; non-drinking was a must, so I focused in the Church. I figured that I had to live those standards if I wanted someone with them, so I became an active member. I was active for about two years when I met my wife, who couldn’t be more amazing. She makes me want to be a better person. I am an active member of my ward, have a calling, and a temple recommend.

For the first time in my life, I am actually reading the Book of Mormon. I’ve listened to it on CD, but had never read it. What is so striking to me is how far away we have gotten from the simple principals taught there. One example is Jacob 2: 18-19. I don’t know anyone who does that. Not one. I don’t need six tv’s in my house. No one does. Serving at the soup kitchen once a month, or doing yard work at the children’s home once a year as a ward doesn’t cut it. We should be doing more.

I listen to Isaiah Explained, by Gileadi every day on my way to work (I’m on Ch 41). I read the Book of Mormon every day. I’m about to finish Following the Light of Christ into His Presence, by J. Pontius and then onto The Second Comforter by D. Snuffer.

The storm clouds on the horizon are approaching fast. I’m doing my best to prepare myself spiritually so that I will be ready when they come.

creator
(of the Forum)

Re: Another One

Post by creator »

Welcome :)

Elias Returns
captain of 100

Post by Elias Returns »

Welcome.

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

Great intro! I hope you enjoy the forum, and I look forward to more posts!

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Welcome -- many thanks for sharing your story.
"I figured that I had to live those standards if I wanted someone with them, so I became an active member. I was active for about two years when I met my wife, who couldn’t be more amazing. She makes me want to be a better person. I am an active member of my ward, have a calling, and a temple recommend.

For the first time in my life, I am actually reading the Book of Mormon. I’ve listened to it on CD, but had never read it. What is so striking to me is how far away we have gotten from the simple principals taught there. One example is Jacob 2: 18-19. I don’t know anyone who does that. Not one. I don’t need six tv’s in my house. No one does. Serving at the soup kitchen once a month, or doing yard work at the children’s home once a year as a ward doesn’t cut it. We should be doing more. "
Jacob 2:
6 O that he would rid you from this iniquity and abomination. And, O that ye would listen unto the word of his commands, and let not this pride of your hearts destroy your souls!

17 Think of your brethren like unto yourselves, and be familiar with all and free with your substance, that they may be rich like unto you.

18 But before ye seek for riches, seek ye for the kingdom of God.

19 And after ye have obtained a hope in Christ ye shall obtain riches, if ye seek them; and ye will seek them for the intent to do good—to clothe the naked, and to feed the hungry, and to liberate the captive, and administer relief to the sick and the afflicted.

20 And now, my brethren, I have spoken unto you concerning pride; and those of you which have afflicted your neighbor, and persecuted him because ye were proud in your hearts, of the things which God hath given you, what say ye of it?

21 Do ye not suppose that such things are abominable unto him who created all flesh? And the one being is as precious in his sight as the other...

scottieb76
Hi, I'm new.

Post by scottieb76 »

DrJones wrote:Welcome -- many thanks for sharing your story.
"I figured that I had to live those standards if I wanted someone with them, so I became an active member. I was active for about two years when I met my wife, who couldn’t be more amazing. She makes me want to be a better person. I am an active member of my ward, have a calling, and a temple recommend.

For the first time in my life, I am actually reading the Book of Mormon. I’ve listened to it on CD, but had never read it. What is so striking to me is how far away we have gotten from the simple principals taught there. One example is Jacob 2: 18-19. I don’t know anyone who does that. Not one. I don’t need six tv’s in my house. No one does. Serving at the soup kitchen once a month, or doing yard work at the children’s home once a year as a ward doesn’t cut it. We should be doing more. "
Jacob 2:
6 O that he would rid you from this iniquity and abomination. And, O that ye would listen unto the word of his commands, and let not this pride of your hearts destroy your souls!

17 Think of your brethren like unto yourselves, and be familiar with all and free with your substance, that they may be rich like unto you.

18 But before ye seek for riches, seek ye for the kingdom of God.

19 And after ye have obtained a hope in Christ ye shall obtain riches, if ye seek them; and ye will seek them for the intent to do good—to clothe the naked, and to feed the hungry, and to liberate the captive, and administer relief to the sick and the afflicted.

20 And now, my brethren, I have spoken unto you concerning pride; and those of you which have afflicted your neighbor, and persecuted him because ye were proud in your hearts, of the things which God hath given you, what say ye of it?

21 Do ye not suppose that such things are abominable unto him who created all flesh? And the one being is as precious in his sight as the other...
Yes, that.

It's so simple, yet so profound. And the Book of Mormon is filled with them.

Thank you for the warm welcome. I look forward to contributing more.

RPJR
captain of 10

Post by RPJR »

Welcome, friend.