Understanding why Nephi killed Laban

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
liberty
captain of 100

Understanding why Nephi killed Laban

Post by liberty »

I have heard many times people saying that G-d can change doctrine or change his mind. I do not believe this. G-d is the same yesterday, today and forever. Some doctrines may appear to be changed but I believe it is because we do not fully understand G-d's law. Could it be that we need a different paradigm or greater understanding? Perhaps it is us mere mortals that do not understand G-d's ways. Nephi was living under Torah, G-d's law. He would have known about Goel Hadam (kinsman redeemer). I am by no means an expert on this. But I think it would behoove us to be willing to study Torah to understand the Old and New Testament scriptures and Book of Mormon scriptures that do not make sense to us. We are looking at things from a Western point of view instead of from the perspective of those who lived under Torah. Here is one persons explanation of Goel Hadam. You would need to understand that a mitzvah is a commandment.

"Some explain that the concept of go’el hadam is similar to the idea of yefas to’ar. The desire for vengeance is one of the strongest of natural desires, and the Torah therefore makes a compromise of sorts: It gives the family the basic right to avenge the death of their beloved, yet also arranges for the escape of the (inadvertant) murderer.

However, this explanation is difficult, because there are opinions that it is actually a mitzvah for the go’el hadam to kill the murderer (see Ramban, additions to Sefer Hamitzvos no. 13), and this certainly doesn’t match the explanation of giving a vent to natural tendencies. Moreover, if there is no go’el hadam, beis din actually appoint a go’el hadam (see Sanhedrin 45b), indicating again that this isn’t a matter of placating the natural dispositions of men.

Rather, we must accept this as a Torah mitvzah, which sees value in the blood of the victim being “redeemed.” The simple rationale behind the instruction is to instill fear in the hearts of would-be accidental murderers, inspiring people to take care when doing things that might involve danger to others. In a deeper sense, note the word “redeemer,” and not “avenger,” indicating that some deeper, spiritual rectification takes place by means of the go’el hadam (see Vedarashta Vechakarta, Choshen Mishpat 10)."

Is it possible that Nephi, who was kin to Laban, had the right to take his life because he had on two occasions attempted to take the life of his brothers and himself?

G-d's laws are immutable. We are the ones that need to change and to come to understand His ways.

Book of Ruth
captain of 100

Re: Understanding why Nephi killed Laban

Post by Book of Ruth »

Nephi beheading Laban is one of the greatest testiments of the truthfullness of the Book of Mormon.

Beheading is specifically indicates that the person who is beheaded committed a crime against God in middle eastern culture. We see this in the beheading of John the Baptist, Peter, and Paul. Their murderer's where trying to put down Christians by saying they were sinning against God. Falsely of coarse.

Again, this specific type of killing is specifically used as a symbol that the person has sinned against God. Anyone seeing Laban without a head would KNOW that he had sinned against God and have serious cause of repentance.

This is why those who believe in Christ will be specifically beheaded in these last days by those of who think that Christian's are the great Satan and are sinning against God.

We absolutely know that Jesus Christ is the true Messiah, and we just can't bow down to a false Christ.