Gospel Podcasts

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
therockpile
captain of 50

Gospel Podcasts

Post by therockpile »

I enjoy rather heady subjects and am looking to fill my commute time with some gospel centric podcasts.
LDS.org has few intense options but is worth mentioning and so does FAIR, the Interpreter Foundation and I found one good one on KSL. Oh I found one at the Maxwell Institute as well.

Does anyone else have gosple related podcasts they enjoy and care to share? I would especially love it if someone has some heady/scholarly (some describe as a cure insomnia) ones on the old and new testament.

lemuel
Operating Thetan

Re: Gospel Podcasts

Post by lemuel »

I enjoy mormonmatters and mormonstories. Not super orthodox, and they will have a range of people from antimormons like Tom Phillips and Grant Palmer, but also brilliant folks like Bushman. I learn from the ones I disagree with too, arguing with them in my head as I listen.

therockpile
captain of 50

Post by therockpile »

Yes, I like how some counter arguments can help us get rid of bad arguments and cultural baggage. I think listened to mormonstories once, do they generally offer serious discussion or are the apposing views have a high level of straw man arguments and other logical fallacies?

iamse7en
captain of 1,000

Post by iamse7en »

In no particular order...

Mormon Stories: some great interviews, some really bad ones. Dehlin's progressive agenda is to change the Church, especially on women ordination and LGBTQ. He's not a real believer in the sense you would think. He believes in some power but really just likes his Mormon heritage and culture. Here's a list of some of his better interviews.

Mormon Matters: I like Dan. Good host, has some great guests. Some episodes are awesome, so look through the archive. Others are pretty boring. I'd be sure to subscribe and find old episodes that interest you. They do have some heady ones on the OT recently/currently.

Mormon Expression: very hostile. Larsen's agenda is to bring down the Church, as he said in his [not] farewell episode. He's bitter, smug, and crass. So know that beforehand. Still, there are some very entertaining episodes on Church doctrine and history. Look through the archives, stay away from his more recent ones. They get many things wrong, but I still enjoyed quite a few of them.

Maxwell Institute: Like Blair Hodges, but episodes are sparse. They also "acquired" the Mormon Book Review, which has some good interviews with recent authors, though that host is annoying. Most of this podcast is the mormon book review, unfortunately. Has potential.

Mormon Fair-Cast: some great stuff, some stupid stuff. I liked it better when Blair Hodges was host, but it's still decent. Look for some gems, like the Don Bradley interview.

Mormon Discussion: Host Bill Reel is pretty good, and there are some good guests with interesting conversation, but it's mostly a re-hash of the same thing. It focuses on faith crisis like crazy. Lots of episodes are cross-posted at Fair-Cast.

Mormon Interpreter: some good stuff. A lot of it is reading of articles posted on their website, which is not nearly as good as an enlightening discussion. I remember a few good episodes. Might as well subscribe and see what they have cooking every once in awhile.

Conversations (Mormon Channel): Very light and dry at times, as they only focus on correlated paradigms, but very personable at times too. Sheri Dew is host. She's pretty good. They haven't posted in awhile though.

General Conference: Either this feed to break each episode by talk or this feed to break down into hour segments. Nice to re-listen to most recent conference addresses (at least the good ones).

Mormon Expositor: stopped listening to this one because didn't think it was worth the added time, but a couple episodes were half-decent I guess. They try to pretend to be middle of the road (with one friendly host), but it definitely skews against core mormonism. Most of the hosts came from Mormon Expression if that gives you any clue.

Dialogue: mainly interviews with Mormon authors. Some interesting, most not so much. New podcast, but postings are rare, only 11 since its inception. This could be good if they put more effort into it.

The Good Word: interviews with random LDS people. Deleted this podcast as I found it to be mostly non-interesting.

Mormon Miscellaneous: Weekly K-Talk show been around for decades. Though some topics are quite good, the host (Van Hale) is very slow and too methodical. The call-in guests are terrible. Easily gets off on tangents. His podcast link only hosts a few episodes he uploaded. This link will give you more of the recent shows in the past 2 years, though its organization is awful. Be prepared to hear a lot from Art Bulla.

Mormon Chronicle: Used to be awesome. Love the Briney episodes. Seems dead now though.

Religion Today (KSL): I really don't like Martin Tanner. Thinks he's so smart, lays down correlated, false paradigms like they're straight from heaven. His tone bugs me like none other. I don't subscribe, only will listen to an episode if there's a guest I like or a topic I want to pull my hair out listening to.

Sunstone Symposium: Sunstone tried a podcast earlier this year but seems defunct. This one is posts of their recent conferences and panels. Some good ones, some awful ones. Here's an example of a really interesting one.

The other thing you can do is create a huffduffer rss feed. So whenever you see a one-off interview hosted elsewhere, you just paste the link into your huffduffer and it's like your personalized podcast. Here's an example of someone's feed.

It's clear I have an obsession with Mormonism. If you couldn't tell that already from my posts.

Edit: To add some others...

Infants on Thrones: has a few entertaining ones, and they're not as hostile as MoExpr, but a lot of garbage too. Not real enlightening either, especially when they discuss topics they know little about. More for on-their-way-out Mormons who need lighthearted discussion that makes fun of the Gospel and its flawed vehicle.

Feminist Mormon Housewives: only started tuning because of the Year of Polygamy series, which I really enjoy. While the host isn't exactly a stalwart defender of the restoration, she's pretty fair with the history and is a proponent of the women's lives and stories, and she does a good job researching and sharing in podcast form. I haven't listened to any of the non-polygamy podcasts because they're not my cup of tea.

Rational Faiths Podcast: This is a new one, and it's okay. I will only listen if the subject interest me. Don't think I've listened to an episode of this in a bit though.
Last edited by iamse7en on November 22nd, 2014, 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Worth adding!

http://www.isaiahexplained.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Each chapter has a comprehensive lecture on mp3. Excellent audio resource.

therockpile
captain of 50

Post by therockpile »

coachmarc wrote:Worth adding!

http://www.isaiahexplained.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Each chapter has a comprehensive lecture on mp3. Excellent audio resource.
It is great! I listened to the first 10 hours of it on a trip across Texas.

Seymour Butz
Enjoying the View

Post by Seymour Butz »

There are some really interesting podcasts listed here. Anyone listen to Infants on Thrones? It's not quite orthodox.

iamse7en
captain of 1,000

Post by iamse7en »

Infants on Thrones has a few entertaining ones, and they're not as hostile as MoExpr, but a lot of garbage too. Not real enlightening either, especially when they discuss topics they know little about. More for on-their-way-out Mormons who need lighthearted discussion that makes fun of the Gospel and its flawed vehicle.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

I know one of the Infants, he's an alright guy. He's a criminal prosecutor in AZ, so I think he's lost faith based on close up observation of the misdeeds of others. It is a funny podcast sometimes, kind of a trainwreck sometimes. Definitely philosophies of men...

TannerG
captain of 100

Post by TannerG »

I know that Mormon Stories has already been mentioned. I just wanted to list my favorite guests:

Terryl and Fiona Givens
Richard Bushman
Edward Kimball
Daymon Smith
Michael Quinn
Anne (Kraut)
And dare I mention he-who-shall-not-be-named?
Last edited by TannerG on February 20th, 2015, 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Here is a new one:
http://www.mormonstudiespodcast.com/about/

Mormon Studies podcast is a neoteric venue for scholars and serious students of Mormonism to share their latest research with a global audience. This podcast is as its tagline states: “Mormon scholarship for everyone.” Whether you’re new to Mormon studies or a seasoned scholar of Restoration traditions, you stand to gain new insights from each podcast.

As the Mormon Studies podcast website grows, you will also have access to supplemental resources, such as published essays, multimedia presentations, and historical documents.

Our podcast is hosted by Brent Lee Metcalfe, editor of New Approaches to the Book of Mormon: Explorations in Critical Methodology and coeditor with Dan Vogel of American Apocrypha: Essays on the Book of Mormon. Brent has published and delivered presentations on Mormon studies in a variety of academic forums. He also serves on the John Whitmer Historical Association Journal editorial board.

Mormon Studies podcast is a partnership with the Open Stories Foundation and is made possible through the generous donations of listeners like you.

therockpile
captain of 50

Post by therockpile »

Thanks for sharing from the description it looks like it will be a favorite!

Edit: it is not worth listening to.
Last edited by therockpile on February 17th, 2015, 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Not a Mormon podcast, but I like Trunews. It's a 1 hour daily podcast with news, preaching, interviews with various experts in their fields. Covers many many different topics from an evangelical protestant viewpoint. The host is named Rick Wiles. He had a promising career as a broadcast executive until he was called by God to preach a message of repentance or destruction. He regularly talks about visions he has seen, and movements of the Spirit in his life. I believe he has a legitimate calling to preach regarding repentance and the judgments to befall America.
Go to trunews, click on listen live, click on the date and download the podcast. Well worth the time.

iamse7en
captain of 1,000

Post by iamse7en »

If you listened to the Metcalf interview a few weeks ago, you'll quickly realize the new podcast won't be very good, and there will be a very strong agenda to proving the gospel incorrect. Hardly going to be an honest Mormon Studies project.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

http://mormonhistoryguy.com/

Who I Am
I’m a rural guy born in an outlying Mormon settlement (no, really, the 2000 census deemed my country the “frontier”). I received my M.A. in history from the University of Kentucky and spent the past years immersing myself in the words of Brigham Young. I’ve handled John D. Lee’s and George A. Smith’s report describing the circumstances surrounding the Mountain Meadows Massacre. I’ve read meeting minutes, court decisions, private correspondence, and wartime casualty reports. I only deal in the original materials: letters written by Brigham’s own hand, office journals kept by Joseph Smith’s closest associates. I am probably more obsessed–should I see someone about this–with Mormon history (and really, anything remotely associated with it) than anyone you know.

Russell Stevenson

Why I Do What I Do
I love the Mormon people. And I love our history. It’s all fulfilling, both human and divine, both visionary and mundane. Every word of it. This is Mormon history for people who have been told that studying history makes you unfaithful, edgy, or “unorthodox.” I’m here to tell you that the truth is exactly the opposite. Studying our history is a sign of faith, a sign of trust, and even a sign of love. We’re not here to rehash what you learned in Mia Maids or Priesthood. We’re here to learn how to love our people more deeply and more richly. And we all know that those we love the most are those we know the best. We “get” them. I want us all to “get” Brigham Young, to “get” Brother Joseph. I like my history straight. The old Sunday School story hold true: no one wants to drink water after the cows have waded in it.

But learning to love someone (or a group of people) can be scary at times. They can surprise us, excite us, encourage us, and, sometimes, even disappoint us. But as G.K. Chesterton once said, “love is not blind…love is bound. And the more it is bound, the less it is blind.”

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

How about "This Week in Mormons" http://thisweekinmormons.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've been listening of Geoff and Al for about a year or so and they do a weekly podcast concerning everything that's in the news. They also do gospel doctrine podcasts as well. I think these guys make for a pretty unique and hilarious dynamic. Geoff kind of sounds like Ray Romano and while he can be a little pompous at times, I think he's a good dude. Al is this super tall guy who runs a quilt store, is single and seems to travel all over the place.

They don't get too much into doctrine, they look at the news and discuss the implications. Show is mostly entertainment, but I look forward to it.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

TannerG wrote:I know that Mormon Stories has already been mentioned. I just wanted to list my favorite guests:

Terryl and Fiona Givens
Richard Bushman
Edward Kimball
Michael Quinn
Anne (Kraut)
You missed two that are on my list of favs - Daymon Smith and Rock Waterman.

therockpile
captain of 50

Post by therockpile »

+++ for http://mormonhistoryguy.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
absolutely love it. I've been listening for a while and each episode is riveting.

TannerG
captain of 100

Post by TannerG »

Obrien wrote:
TannerG wrote:I know that Mormon Stories has already been mentioned. I just wanted to list my favorite guests:

Terryl and Fiona Givens
Richard Bushman
Edward Kimball
Michael Quinn
Anne (Kraut)
You missed two that are on my list of favs - Daymon Smith and Rock Waterman.
I realized the error when I just saw my post.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Trunews for Monday May 18, 2015 was a particularly touching, poignant show.
Although the whole episode is interesting, make sure to listen to the healing meeting referenced from 45:00 - 52:00 +/-. Are we really using our power in Christ? Remember, this guy was a Roman Catholic on his way to becoming an Episcopalian when this event occurred.

http://www.trunews.com/51653/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Another interesting podcast - this one is about what could have been the Christmas Star. A very similar conjunction of planets occurs this year on 6/30/15, in just a few days. If you know about it, you'll have a chance to see it. Have a listen while you're cutting the grass today.

http://www.trunews.com/Audio/06_26_15_f ... unews2.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dannyk
captain of 100

Post by Dannyk »

In case anyone else is curious, or needs a second witness, let me add that the TruNews podcast has been BRILLIANT as I've listened to it over the past few months, and even gone back in the archives a little bit.

I have learned a great deal about the work God is doing with all people in these last days. I also love that the host regularly calls the churches of America to repentance. He seems to be a whole lot more interested in Jesus than in defending any particular style of faith.

The visions and dreams discussed on the show have been truly enlightening.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Dannyk wrote:In case anyone else is curious, or needs a second witness, let me add that the TruNews podcast has been BRILLIANT as I've listened to it over the past few months, and even gone back in the archives a little bit.

I have learned a great deal about the work God is doing with all people in these last days. I also love that the host regularly calls the churches of America to repentance. He seems to be a whole lot more interested in Jesus than in defending any particular style of faith.

I have been a pretty regular listener for the past 4 years. Trunews is consistently a compelling and informative source of information. Thanks for your second witness. Did you hear the Jim Baker shows recently? Even tho I had a preconceived bias against Jim Baker from way back in the Tammy Faye days, I found those programs interesting and prophetic. Give a listen, if you didn't hear those shows.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Book of Audio
Podcast Launches Focusing on Historical LDS Documents Using modern commentary, original music and high production quality, Book of Audio reinvents the idea of what an audio book can be.

Book of Audio, a new podcast created by a group of current and former members of the LDS church.

More than just an audio book, each season will cover a relevant LDS document with the text read aloud, and modern commentary, original music and conversation starters interspersed throughout. By reimagining how audio books can be presented, Book of Audio aims to shine an entertaining light on historical documents associated with the LDS church. This enhanced conversation about the early history of the church, will be an enlightening experience for all listeners.

Post-launch, new episodes will be released every other Tuesday, with listener comment episodes and other ancillary content coming in between those releases — also on Tuesdays.

Dannyk
captain of 100

Post by Dannyk »

Obrien wrote:
Dannyk wrote:In case anyone else is curious, or needs a second witness, let me add that the TruNews podcast has been BRILLIANT as I've listened to it over the past few months, and even gone back in the archives a little bit.

I have been a pretty regular listener for the past 4 years. Trunews is consistently a compelling and informative source of information. Thanks for your second witness. Did you hear the Jim Baker shows recently? Even tho I had a preconceived bias against Jim Baker from way back in the Tammy Faye days, I found those programs interesting and prophetic. Give a listen, if you didn't hear those shows.
I only heard the excerpts posted on TruNews, but I've been wanting to go to the actual Jim Bakker site and watch them in full. But seriously, after spending just a month or two listening to TruNews, I had a very different reading of 1 Nephi 1 when Nephi mentions there being many prophets telling the US to repent or be destroyed. From the LDS side of things, I don't think that message ever comes across very clear. But man, the number of people who are receiving dreams and visions from God, and have received a word of prophecy and raised a voice of warning, and who have appeared on that show have really made me think a lot more.