Is it just me or . . .

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Is it just me or . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

. . . is there a lot less arguing on this forum lately? I'm just wondering if you all are noticing what I seem to be noticing. People seem to be taking offense less and dealing with disagreements a lot more respectfully.

AGStacker
captain of 1,000

Re: Is it just me or . . .

Post by AGStacker »

Hmmm... I think some of the more divisive threads have died out. I think the feelings still remain though.

TZONE
captain of 1,000

Post by TZONE »

I agree, it goes in cycles... The topics have been shifted another 6 months they will be back :D. When I first got here there wasn't alot either (6 months ago)... Seems to have a bunch of good threads than a few "awakening" "contentive" threads than starts over.

A new subject will come up eventually :lol:

Wonder what it will be? /:)

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Well, we've worked over the status of the leadership of the church, polygamy, birth control, and the doctrine of eternal lives along with a few others. I think we need new revelation to have something else to fight over.

Fairminded
captain of 1,000

Post by Fairminded »

I hate to bring it up, but it could also be that several of the most argumentative posters were banned fairly recently.

firend
captain of 1,000

Post by firend »

Just today i read some things online about Denise Mendenhall, and got blasted for asking a question deemed foolish even though the same thing was discussed briefly on another LDS sight. The amazing thing is the person ripping me is someone I actually thought I liked as a poster, oh well.

I try really hard to be respectful to people on here even when we many times disagree. My wife is always telling me to get off of here because the knowledge gained vs the dis-repect to me is out of control.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

As for myself I am learning to be calm and patient in all of my discussions and to know when to speak and when to be silent. I am learning to state what I know and leave it to the Spirit to teach. :)
I would ask others to caution me when I deviate from this and return to my contentious nature. :ymhug:

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

firend wrote:Just today i read some things online about Denise Mendenhall, and got blasted for asking a question deemed foolish even though the same thing was discussed briefly on another LDS sight. The amazing thing is the person ripping me is someone I actually thought I liked as a poster, oh well.

I try really hard to be respectful to people on here even when we many times disagree. My wife is always telling me to get off of here because the knowledge gained vs the dis-repect to me is out of control.
I saw that and was surprised. That seems out of character for that certain poster. Don't dismiss the possibility that he was just having a bad day. I know I've had my moments.

Smallfarm, great attitude! :ymhug:

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

Fairminded wrote:I hate to bring it up, but it could also be that several of the most argumentative posters were banned fairly recently.

Whoa..

karend77
captain of 1,000

Post by karend77 »

SmallFarm wrote:As for myself I am learning to be calm and patient in all of my discussions and to know when to speak and when to be silent. I am learning to state what I know and leave it to the Spirit to teach. :)
I would ask others to caution me when I deviate from this and return to my contentious nature. :ymhug:
I appreciate your posts :ymhug:

Daryl
captain of 1,000

Post by Daryl »

I'm glad you feel this way.

AussieOi
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by AussieOi »

Personally I for one just don't really care enough to argue anything.

Plus mark, shadow and oldmandalton aren't here.

Infowarrior and freedomfighter use to make me shake my head and reply to some of their posts, but now I just think most all of us here are in the head so what's the point of fighting it.

Or maybe you just don't spend enough time in the good threads? Insert smilie

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

That could be it . . .

embryopocket
captain of 100

Post by embryopocket »

I stopped logging into the forum because of the contention that I saw but I had to come back! The insights on gospel topics help me very much and it's nice to "talk" about these things with people that have a desire to learn. Instead of trying to help ease the contention that I saw like I should have done, I asked Brian if he could delete my account because I didn't want to be affiliated with this forum any longer. I realize now that this was childish - I believe that Christ is happy that we are using the Internet to discuss His Gospel and as a Christian, I should have stayed and at least tried to help any ill feeling between us. I apologize and hope that we can all spread a little more love and reach out to help one another.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

I hear you on losing the spirit through contention, however I do think "a good argument" (for lack of a better term) offers great value to those who are sincerely considering things for the first time with an open heart.

It was that "good argument" or maybe I should say bringing to light again hidden things, scattered here and there that helped me reconsider my paradigm prayfully with the Lord.

This is not to say we should be argumentive, which is very difficult not to do when speaking with others whose opinions vary greatly.

I enjoy a good debate, if you will, where the focus is persuasion and mutual respect and not belittlement, making fun of, or personal attacks.

AussieOi
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by AussieOi »

Why do discussions have to = arguments = anger and hate and malice?

I think a lot of people here are idiots personally, and their posts prove it.

Just because we differ in opinions and resort to witticisms to put our point or respond to the peanut in particular, doesn't mean its heated, or hate filled.

sometimes I think people need to get out more and grow the other 6 layers of skin.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

I know my time on here is diminishing (in spite of it being Summer Break) because I am just getting too pissed off too often. Too many stupid people saying too many stupid things, and as a teacher, I need the Summer to recharge my batteries so I can be prepared for all the stupid things I have to deal with in the Autumn.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

firend wrote:Just today i read some things online about Denise Mendenhall, and got blasted for asking a question deemed foolish even though the same thing was discussed briefly on another LDS sight. The amazing thing is the person ripping me is someone I actually thought I liked as a poster, oh well.

I do understand that the person apologized in an email, as well as on the thread. At least it looked to me like he was speaking to you.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

Called to Serve wrote:. . . is there a lot less arguing on this forum lately? I'm just wondering if you all are noticing what I seem to be noticing. People seem to be taking offense less and dealing with disagreements a lot more respectfully.
I've seen a hot spot here and there, but mostly the contention seems to be dying down (or maybe it's that I'm not frequenting the same old same old rehashing threads). I hope this cycle goes to a higher level, so that what is currently here will be the new low (instead of the old high, repeated). I know that I have worked to keep my posts from being contentious or ridiculing.

I believe that we can all work together to make it a respectful forum. I believe it was Heir of Numenor who I first noticed changing, a long time ago. In fact, I had him blocked at one point. When I realized there was a change, I unblocked him, then we became friends (because of him, I watched all three Lord of the Rings in one night! Aack!). He was a good example to me.

TZONE
captain of 1,000

Post by TZONE »

Spoke too soon. I just noticed many of the posts are turning into, What is REALLY doctrine and which is traditions of men. I started one myself? Por que?

Its sad we have to start question which parts of the doctrine and covenants is actual doctrine and which parts were just put in because it sounds good. It seems people are starting to get really confused about certain teachings of the church. Doctrine and Covenants. The level of "being called a prophet", How zion will come out about either in or out the church, is the priesthood taken away... etc. Seriously? I feel like joseph, "in the midst of war of words and confusion, strife among the different denominatons.. I often asked what is to be done? If any be right which is it, and how shall I know it?

Can we really "vote" in doctrine as a church? Is that of hte Lord? That sounds like evil way to do it but we always speak about it?