LDS canneries being shut down east of Mississippi

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: LDS canneries being shut down east of Mississippi

Post by BroJones »

In Helaman, the Gadiantons achieved "sole management of the government" - and the people could hardly see it even when the Prophet Nephi warned them and tried to open their eyes. Open your eyes, people! History repeats - or should we say, "prophecy being fulfilled".

Craig
captain of 50

Post by Craig »

I don't see a issue going to pre-packaged quantities, in fact it will reduce the chance of contamination and increase overall quality. I'm amazed how few members take advantage of this wonderful resource the church provides especially in the eastern states.

BringerOfJoy
captain of 100

Post by BringerOfJoy »

Last edited by BringerOfJoy on May 14th, 2013, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

dakota12 wrote:Interesting that regulations of the government have caused this shutdown, hopefully not loss of more jobs, but the help and convenience of so many people. Another sign that we need to stand up and make changes with our political leaders from the ground floor up in order to reverse this destructive trend.

Say, with regards to another preparedness point... one you hopefully can help me with and one that you might be interested in also. I had a chance to visit the UVU Preparedness Expo last weekend in Orem, Utah. While there I ran across the most interesting solar cooker I've ever seen. It's called the Solar Flare Parabolic Solar Cooker. It's small and fits in a backpack, yet it's highly effective, able to rehydrate and cook dried food in about 30 minutes and anything else in about an hour. It will pasteurize water in about 10 minutes, AND they are inexpensive. My question is for anyone out there... what do you know about the Solar Flare, what do you think about them, and where are they available for purchase? They look to be a great preparedness item... using the free energy of the sun to cook your meals is a great idea.
Why don't you just tell us how much you are selling them for in that section of the forum? :D

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Note correction:
http://www.preparednesspro.com/breaking ... canning-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Copyright 2013 All Rights Reserved Preparedness Pro
Breaking News: LDS Canneries East of the Mississippi to HALT CANNING!

(IMPORTANT Note: This article has been corrected from its initial publishing in which the phrase “west of the Mississippi” erroneously appeared instead of the correct phrase “east of the Mississippi” There was never a question as to what area of the U.S. would be impacted by this change, however, the author (aka I) was foolish enough to work on publishing this article at “stupid o clock” in the morning–the phrase “west of the Mississippi is a common phrase and thus the one my brain defaulted to) As such, I didn’t detect the error soon enough. I apologize for the error and I apologize for the alarm it may have caused many. The information you now see has been rectified. It’s the LDS Canneries “EAST of the Mississippi” that are impacted by these changes.)
Update: The conclusion which I lay out in this article regarding the changes made to the LDS Church Canneries has actually been verified in church meetings all throughout the U.S. this past weekend AND via an official statement by the LDS Church, which, ironically was petitioned by a Deseret News “journalist” who sought to “debunk” this story.
While he focuses on refuting the notion that the LDS Church Canneries will be “shut down”–something which I never infer in my article, his story does provide an official position from an LDS Church spokeswoman which only lent credence to THIS article–that the canneries were indeed changing from canning being done on site to only offering pre-packaged and some bulk purchase options and canners which can be checked out by members for use AT HOME.
However, the good news is that the LDS Church spokeswoman stated that there would be no increase in costs. Of course, none of the “government interference” aspects of my story were, or will be, confirmed by the LDS Church, as I expected and understand.
See further details in this post (including collaboration) and see the “official” LDS Church response here.
LDS Canneries “east of the Mississippi” will no longer be canning any food at their facilities beginning June 27th, 2013,

as they are no longer able to justify the abhorrent costs to keep in compliance with the ever-changing criteria set forth by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Food and Drug Administration. The canneries will still function as a center for pre-packaged bulk-foods for their patrons, but these items will have to be shipped into them now, pre-packaged in the LDS Canneries in the West....
RE: solar cooker -- you can build your own solar cooker for less than $10 and its easy; pls see my paper with students:

Details here: http://solarcooking.org/plans/funnel.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AND: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzUcAysec1U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any questions pls let me know.

Best wishes,
Physics Prof. (early retired) Steven Jones

dlbww
captain of 100

Post by dlbww »

Last edited by dlbww on October 2nd, 2015, 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poltax
captain of 100

Post by Poltax »

Maybe, just something to think about, the real reason for the cannery shut downs is due to members not fullfilling assingments when asked. The Church is not going to waste the product. They will use it elsewhere or sell if off on the open market.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

dlbww wrote:
DrJones wrote:RE: solar cooker -- you can build your own solar cooker for less than $10 and its easy; pls see my paper with students:

Details here: http://solarcooking.org/plans/funnel.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AND: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzUcAysec1U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any questions pls let me know.

Best wishes,
Physics Prof. (early retired) Steven Jones
I built that model (I used aluminum because I couldn't find the milar) a couple of summers ago. Dug a small hole in a hillside outside my shop, nicely angled to the sun, set the glass sealer on a block of wood I cut out for the bottom and cooked my lunches on it. Very impressed. Thank you.
Good idea! you're certainly welcome :)

Poltax -- do have real evidence for your supposition? I have found that there are called senior couples working at canneries -- and frankly, they were working hard along with volunteers like myself. True, that was west of the Mississippi... but I think the saints out east are willing to work also.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

The Church said it was due to over-regulation, no reason to believe that's not the case. I know the Lindon cannery recently had to make some changes to stay in compliance with regulations, FDA I think, and possibly it wasn't economical to do whatever needed to be done at every cannery.

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

We know that other government agencies have been targeting conservative non-profits like the SEC, IRS, HHS, and EPA. I guess we can add the FDA to the list.

I know for a fact that HHS has been ruthlessly auditing private physician groups trying to drive doctors into contract management groups. Medicare and other insurance companies also pay private groups less than a larger contract management group. Larger groups can "negotiate" for better reimbursement rates.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Original_Intent wrote:The Church said it was due to over-regulation, no reason to believe that's not the case. I know the Lindon cannery recently had to make some changes to stay in compliance with regulations, FDA I think, and possibly it wasn't economical to do whatever needed to be done at every cannery.
That's what we were told at our local cannery, as well (I say local, but it's a 3-hour drive each way). The fedgov really is trying their best to control all aspects of our food supply.

Poltax
captain of 100

Post by Poltax »

Dr. Jones...I had a discussion with my Dad, who, worked in a Cannery in ID. The former man in charge of the Cannery is a good friend of my Dad. He is now on a mission in the East. I asked my Dad about the situation. He emailed his friend. What I posted was part of the reply. I didnt state it as fact, since this was not firsthand info. Just something to think about.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

Poltax wrote:Dr. Jones...I had a discussion with my Dad, who, worked in a Cannery in ID. The former man in charge of the Cannery is a good friend of my Dad. He is now on a mission in the East. I asked my Dad about the situation. He emailed his friend. What I posted was part of the reply. I didnt state it as fact, since this was not firsthand info. Just something to think about.
Maybe it isn't worth complying with the regulations if hardly anyone is using the canneries.

djforrest
Hi, I'm new.

Post by djforrest »

As of June 9th, 2013 the things available to all U.S. Canneries is on this form. Just FYI http://providentliving.org/bc/content/p ... f?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

Thanks, djforrest.

karend77
captain of 1,000

Post by karend77 »

Official news finally on this - LDS Church officially terminating "Self Canning" at 89 Facilities.

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/c ... nnecessary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

News Release — 17 June 2013
Concern Over Changes to
Home Storage Centers Unnecessary
Salt Lake City —

Over the past several weeks, misinformation and unnecessary concern has been circulating on blogs, over social media channels and by email regarding changes in operations at the Church’s home storage centers, which are located in the U.S. and Canada. No home storage centers are being closed, but the Church is making welcomed modifications in its operations at most of these centers that will help to better serve the needs of members of the Church, as well as significantly improve efficiency.

In all but 12 of the Church’s 101 home storage centers in the U.S. and Canada, patrons will no longer self-can products, but they may purchase these same items pre-canned or prepackaged at no additional cost.
download

The Church currently operates 101 home storage centers in the United States and Canada where food storage items such as beans, dry milk, wheat, rice and sugar may be purchased© All rights reserved.

These changes have been considered for some time as the Church has looked at the best way to provide home storage goods to Church members efficiently. Much of the discussion regarding this issue has suggested that this change is due to food safety regulation. While it has been a factor, the concern expressed regarding that issue has been overstated.

While many individuals have enjoyed self-canning at the Church’s home storage centers, the advantages of providing pre-canned or prepackaged goods include:

It’s more efficient and cost effective for the Church to produce and ship high-quality, pre-canned or prepackaged goods in bulk rather than ship the same goods and empty cans to a location where individuals can them on their own.
By offering the goods pre-canned or prepackaged, the Church utilizes less warehouse space.
Pre-canned and prepackaged operations allow for higher quality and safer preparation of home storage food.
It is much more costly to maintain and upgrade facilities that must meet food production standards (such as in a self-canning operation) than it is to maintain a facility that simply distributes pre-canned and prepackaged food.
Volunteer personnel time can be used more efficiently.

The following 12 home storage centers will continue to offer self-canning for the time being as the Church continues to monitor the goods and services offered at home storage centers and makes adjustments as needed:

Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Mesa, Arizona
Boise, Idaho
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Carrollton, Texas
Lindon, Utah
Logan, Utah
Ogden, Utah
Salt Lake City, Utah (Welfare Square)
Sandy, Utah
Springville, Utah
St. George, Utah

The remaining 89 centers will provide pre-canned goods. A list of all home storage centers is available here.[/i]

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

Sounds like the canneries will no longer be selling the #10 cans & lids for dry pack canning on the Stake level.

Anyone know about that? I put up a lot of bulk items using the portable dry pack canner with #10 cans purchased from the Apple Valley, MN cannery through the Stake.

idahommie
captain of 100

Post by idahommie »

Our cannery is still planning on selling dry pack supplies, and "loaning" the canning machine. This is what I was told two weeks ago.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

This is an email I received today about my ward's attempt to can at the Carrollton TX cannery.

Well, in conjunction with our our food storage class, we have decided to make a trip to the cannery on Wednesday, July 10th.  

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY!!!

Typically we would schedule a day just for our ward to go to the cannery, however, the cannery is booked until Sept/Oct.  We are on a waiting list trying to get a date on which we could go.  But since so many of you have expressed an interest in going sooner, this is what we are going to do:

Every Wednesday is open to any individual who would like to go can, however space is limited.  There are 2 canning sessions, one at 9:30 and one at 11:30.  They accept the first 11 people who are in line at 9:30, and the at 11:30 they will take the next 11 people.  So what we plan on doing is "just taking a chance" that we can get into one of the two sessions.  If we leave by 8am, we should get to the cannery by 9:00 - 9:15 and get in line.  If we miss the first session, then we go to breakfast and get back early to hit the second session!  I wish I could promise that we would be able to can, but there is NO GUARANTEE!

Purchasing bulk items are usually restricted to Tuesdays and Thursdays, however, they did say that if someone wanted to stay for the 11:30 session to can, they might be able to accommodate some bulk item purchases.  No Guarantee on that either.

So, in a nutshell, if you want to take a chance at getting some canning done on July 10th, check your calendars, and let me know.  I will be sending around a sign up sheet just to get an idea of how many would like to go in July, and how many would like to wait until the fall.