Man disappears in Florida Sinkhole

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Re: Man disappears in Florida Sinkhole

Post by Silver Pie »

By the way, that sinkhole looks like the open throat of a giant worm. It looks like something out of science fiction. Truly, the earth "opens her throat" or "opens her mouth" and swallows building, people, vehicles, and plants.

righteousrepublic
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by righteousrepublic »

Silver Pie wrote: January 24th, 2020, 10:10 pm Watching that video sparks my creativity. I see the man falling into the sinkhole in his sleep. The landing jars him awake, and he crawls through rubble as the rest of the debris from his home continues to fall downwards. He takes haven in a tunnel that leads off the main hole, but that tunnel is never found because of the rubble and debris (dirt), and the fact that the rescuers had to abruptly stop in order to check out other sinkholes (see video for that actual fact: other sinkholes).

He notices a bit of light and begins to crawl toward it.

Well, I don't want to write a whole first draft here, but essentially, the tunnel takes him to the "center" of the earth (in actuality, just several hundred miles into it - which he, of course, doesn't cover immediately, having several adventures while traveling).

First, he meets someone who takes care of his wounds and helps him as he begins to adjust to this new way of living.

Where does the light come from?
Are the people there aware of the people on the surface?
Or are only the people closer to the surface aware of that, and people deeper in consider the "believers" cranks or "woo woo" or "tinfoil hat wearers"?
And so on.
Two ways this could go while in his travels, 1) he is not LDS and meets up with inner-world beings and is subjected to a way of life foriegn to him, or 2) he meets up with the 3 Nephites and several translated beings and is taught ways of navigation not known to men on the surface, like how to defy gravity and teleportation.

Combine your ideas with maybe 1 or 2 above, or a combination thereof, and a short story could ensue. My desire was to write stories for kids of all ages, but know that I have memory issues, my writing has gone down hill.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

It really could be a fascinating story if one could describe the interior in a way different than has ever been described before.

I hadn't thought of the 3 Nephites. Interesting idea that translated beings live under there. Perhaps they could be the ones who live closer to the surface, and are aware that there are people living on the surface of the earth. The deeper you go, the less prone people are to actually believe we exist.

In junior high, I had an English/literature textbook where there was a poem about a ghost talking, and saying they didn't believe that the living were real. I wish I could remember the name of the poem.

righteousrepublic
Level 34 Illuminated

Silver Pie wrote: January 25th, 2020, 8:10 pm It really could be a fascinating story if one could describe the interior in a way different than has ever been described before.

I hadn't thought of the 3 Nephites. Interesting idea that translated beings live under there. Perhaps they could be the ones who live closer to the surface, and are aware that there are people living on the surface of the earth. The deeper you go, the less prone people are to actually believe we exist.

In junior high, I had an English/literature textbook where there was a poem about a ghost talking, and saying they didn't believe that the living were real. I wish I could remember the name of the poem.
Maybe near the center of the earth is a device similar to a stargate, in this case an earthgate. When one enters they are transported to the surface of the earth in a different dimension. People on the surface can't see them. Then the story continues in a different way. On the surface there could be a number of earthgates scattered around the surface that cannot be seen by normal people.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

righteousrepublic wrote: January 25th, 2020, 10:07 pmMaybe near the center of the earth is a device similar to a stargate, in this case an earthgate. When one enters they are transported to the surface of the earth in a different dimension. People on the surface can't see them. Then the story continues in a different way. On the surface there could be a number of earthgates scattered around the surface that cannot be seen by normal people.
I like this idea!

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Sinkhole opens near the Pantheon
The sinkhole, located in the Piazza della Rotonda, is almost 10 square feet (1 square meter) big and just over 8 feet (2.5 m) deep. Inside the hole, archaeologists found seven ancient slabs made of travertine, a type of sedimentary rock.

Luckily, no one was hurt when the sinkhole collapsed on the afternoon of April 27, because the normally crowded piazza was empty due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Sinkholes like this one, however, are becoming an increasingly common problem in Rome.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

12 Blackhawk families displaced after sinkhole exposes abandoned gypsum mine
Albert Reitz was mowing his lawn after work on Monday when he felt it.

“I felt suction behind me and a little bit of movement under my feet. I looked behind me and I was only a foot away from” a sinkhole, he said Friday as movers were packing his home in Blackhawk.

“I didn’t even hear it go down, it just went down,” said the 56-year-old.
“It was going into a bottomless pit,” said 40-year-old John Trudo, who realized something was wrong when his sink faucet didn't work and then heard Reitz banging on his door.

Trudo’s wife, Erika, called 911 and first responders evacuated six families that evening after a second, smaller sinkhole was discovered across the street.
Reitz, whose fiancée bought their house in 2005 as the development was being finished, said he’s been noticing sinking and splitting areas developing in his yard and garage for the past year. He assumed it was a construction problem, not geological.

“You wouldn’t think that there would be a big mine underneath you,” he said Friday.
There are several images at the link (plus the article is a whole lot longer than I quoted), but here are 3 of them.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Erosion can occur on the surface or below the surface (subsurface). Sinkholes are rare but happen in areas where the most common rock below the land surface is limestone, carbonate rock, salt beds, or rocks. These are rocks that can naturally be dissolved by groundwater circulating through them. These rock types are known as evaporites. Evaporite rocks underlie about 35 to 40 percent of the United States, according to experts, in many areas they are buried at great depths.
https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/2020/02/ ... -any-time/
The whole article is quite interesting if one is interested in how sinkholes form.

righteousrepublic
Level 34 Illuminated

Florida appears in man's sink hole.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

righteousrepublic wrote: May 18th, 2020, 1:02 am Florida appears in man's sink hole.
:nod: :nodding:

(They totally need to have an emoji for nodding.)

righteousrepublic
Level 34 Illuminated

Silver Pie wrote: May 20th, 2020, 5:51 pm
righteousrepublic wrote: May 18th, 2020, 1:02 am Florida appears in man's sink hole.

I don't get this one.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

righteousrepublic wrote: May 21st, 2020, 12:19 am I don't get this one.
I was trying to make a nodding emoji, but there was none to be found.

Surely, there's a sinkhole somewhere in someone's back yard large enough to hold Florida.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Silver Pie wrote: May 20th, 2020, 5:51 pm

Had OTEC been developed to produce abundant hydrogen,
Fukushima nuclear incident, couldn’t of happened. Image

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

BeNotDeceived wrote: May 24th, 2020, 7:15 pmHad OTEC been developed to produce abundant hydrogen,
Fukushima nuclear incident, couldn’t of happened. Image
That's one hyperactive nodding emoji. :D

righteousrepublic
Level 34 Illuminated

Silver Pie wrote: May 24th, 2020, 7:08 pm
righteousrepublic wrote: May 21st, 2020, 12:19 am I don't get this one.
I was trying to make a nodding emoji, but there was none to be found.

Surely, there's a sinkhole somewhere in someone's back yard large enough to hold Florida.
FREEDOM AND LIBERTY -GONE-.jpg
FREEDOM AND LIBERTY -GONE-.jpg (73.55 KiB) Viewed 690 times

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

righteousrepublic wrote: May 24th, 2020, 9:58 pm FREEDOM AND LIBERTY -GONE-.jpg
I just noticed today that your butterfly avatar is moving. Way cool! <3

righteousrepublic
Level 34 Illuminated

Man disappears in Florida sinkhole and navigates his way north through miles and miles of tunnels, and wouldn't ya believe it, he met up with Santa Claus. We've been told for hundreds of years he lived up there someplace. However, Santa got just a little perturbed at the man because the man's Corona, one of many, was causing his very aged deer to come down with a virus from the nasty, strong odor from the smoke. So now the Coronavirus is inside the earth as well. Darn. Come to think about it, maybe this is why some folks in the north countries contract sniffless. Perhaps this is why Rudolf's nose is always red.
Last edited by righteousrepublic on July 11th, 2020, 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Re: Man disappears

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Silver Pie wrote: July 10th, 2020, 4:23 pm

How do you fly?

“I never thought about it. I just can.” - Whisper the butterfly

righteousrepublic
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Man disappears

BeNotDeceived wrote: July 11th, 2020, 12:14 am
Silver Pie wrote: July 10th, 2020, 4:23 pm

How do you fly?

“I never thought about it. I just can.” - Whisper the butterfly

Unlike Butterflies, some birds fly upside down over some unsightly terrain because there is nothing worth pooping on.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

righteousrepublic wrote: July 11th, 2020, 12:01 am Perhaps this is why Rudolf's nose is always red.
:D :D

righteousrepublic
Level 34 Illuminated

Man sinks in his hole-in-one in Florida, then disappears.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

righteousrepublic wrote: July 12th, 2020, 3:07 am Man sinks in his hole-in-one in Florida, then disappears.
:D :D :D

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

At least three sinkholes opened in St. George Sunday night during a late-August monsoon storm that triggered flash floods in southern Utah.

The largest of those sinkholes swallowed a vehicle near the Ramada by Wyndham hotel off River Road, according to city spokesperson David Cordero.

https://www.thespectrum.com/story/news/ ... 623147002/

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

A giant sinkhole has opened in the car park of a hospital in Naples, Italy, forcing the temporary closure of a nearby residence for recovering Covid-19 patients after the electricity was cut.

Witnesses reported hearing a large explosion at dawn, which preceeded the opening of the 66 feet deep, 2,000-square-metre sinkhole.

Firefighters reported that the 500 square meters of car park of the Hospital of the Sea were affected, but operations and procedures continued.

More at this link.

So, sinkholes are still alive and well. :P

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Investigations found that the explosion was not at street level but appeared to have been in gas or oxygen pipes below ground, according to Italian media reports. It is not yet clear whether an explosion caused the sinkhole to appear, or vice versa.
Sinkholes are a regular occurrence in Naples, where 20 were recorded within the city limits in 2019
From the same link as above.