Man disappears in Florida Sinkhole

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Re: Man disappears in Florida Sinkhole

Post by Silver Pie »

So, I guess the ranch is where the city is going to be (LDSFF thread where I learned about the city):
The church-owned Deseret Ranches is going through the bureaucratic process in Florida to win approval to transform rural farmland, used for 65 years to raise cattle, into a metropolis of a half-million residents within a 133,000-acre corner of Osceola County, not far from Orange County
Source
Below is the sinkhole map:

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

The map showing the address of the ranch:

Church's Ranch.png
Church's Ranch.png (198.46 KiB) Viewed 3299 times

The map showing the perimeter of the county the city is going to be in (I don't know where to get a map of the perimeter of the city they plan):

Church's City.png
Church's City.png (59.11 KiB) Viewed 3299 times

They don't look like they are in much danger from sinkholes.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Side by side:

Florida.png
Florida.png (156.39 KiB) Viewed 3292 times

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

I wanted to superimpose one picture over the other so we could see exactly where the county lay in relation to the sinkhole map, but I couldn't see a command anywhere on the paint.net program where I could do that.

righteousrepublic
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by righteousrepublic »

Silver Pie wrote: June 7th, 2019, 2:41 pm The map showing the address of the ranch:

png

The map showing the perimeter of the county the city is going to be in (I don't know where to get a map of the perimeter of the city they plan):

png

They don't look like they are in much danger from sinkholes.

Perhaps the property was purchased upon the Spirit approving it. HF really knows his stuff. ;)

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Perhaps.

In any case, I'm glad a city isn't being built where there is a preponderance of sinkholes.

righteousrepublic
Level 34 Illuminated

LDS Church makes large timberland purchase in Florida Panhandle

SALT LAKE CITY — An agricultural company owned by the LDS Church agreed Thursday to purchase 382,834 acres of timberland in the Florida Panhandle.

The St. Joe Co. announced Thursday it will sell the land to AgReserves Inc., a taxpaying company owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, for $565 million. The transaction is expected to close by April 1.

The deal is a glimpse into one way church leaders practice financial responsibility with the reserves they set aside against down economic cycles.

The sale is a boon for Florida because it is "a long-term investment in the state's timber and cattle industries," Adam Putnam, the state's commissioner of agriculture, said in a statement.

Land conservation

News of the transfer of nearly 600 square miles in the Panhandle drew responses from a variety of sources.

Conservationists hope the church's company is mindful of the important northwest Florida watersheds it has acquired. The Conservation Fund's George Willson said he was pleased "to see that someone with a record of stewardship is buying it."

"This is not a bad outcome," he told the Tallahassee Democrat. "I suspect the new owners will pay attention to all these rural communities they will be a part of."

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865 ... htmlSource:

This means the church owns nearly 784, 000 acres, or 1,225 square miles in Florida. (if my math is correct, that is)

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Wow! That's a lot of land.

Considering that they're in Florida, I expect the earth could open her mouth and give them a free swimming hole or two.

righteousrepublic
Level 34 Illuminated

Chip wrote: June 4th, 2019, 8:44 pm Man emerges from Florida sinkhole, comes out as gay.
Were relatives of Tinkerbell living down there? You know, fun loving, happy and merry?

righteousrepublic
Level 34 Illuminated

A hole sinker falls into an intense, stinking sinkhole and finds many sinks with plugged holes.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

I think this happened in Florida:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh2iyPmucFk

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

righteousrepublic wrote: June 7th, 2019, 4:12 pm
Silver Pie wrote: June 7th, 2019, 2:41 pm The map showing the address of the ranch: ...

... The map showing the perimeter of the county the city is going to be in (I don't know where to get a map of the perimeter of the city they plan): They don't look like they are in much danger from sinkholes.
Perhaps the property was purchased upon the Spirit approving it. HF really knows his stuff. ;)
There are pictures of four prophets hanging on the wall, since David O Makay got the bulls rolling, by breeding stock for the year round growing season. No sign of sinkholes, but lots of cowbirds that made it easy to recognize in you blurry pic of a hippo. Be sure to stop by if you get out that way, and check out the HV lines that run adjacent to the property, if OTEC ever becomes a thing.

righteousrepublic
Level 34 Illuminated

How does one sink a hole? Is the hole a half hole or a whole hole? Does the hole only get sunk half way or does the whole thing collapse into a bigger hole beneath it?

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

righteousrepublic wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 1:18 am How does one sink a hole? Is the hole a half hole or a whole hole? Does the hole only get sunk half way or does the whole thing collapse into a bigger hole beneath it?
Goodness, righteousrepublic, everyone knows that a "sinkhole" is the drain. ;)

righteousrepublic
Level 34 Illuminated

BruceRGilbert wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 12:27 pm
righteousrepublic wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 1:18 am How does one sink a hole? Is the hole a half hole or a whole hole? Does the hole only get sunk half way or does the whole thing collapse into a bigger hole beneath it?
Goodness, righteousrepublic, everyone knows that a "sinkhole" is the drain. ;)
I had a good chuckle over this. Thanks for making my day.
It has been very trying to deal with a few posters of late so it's a relief to come here and crack jokes and the like. I see that you've had to deal with insults and a demand for control by a poster I will not disclose right now. The poster would accuse me of an ad hominem attack. I hope your nerves are steady and will strong enough to withstand fiery darts. My sinkhole is about filled to the brim with them. And the accuser denies any guilt. Oh, well, the few cannot outweigh the many, right? I hope I never become a legend.....in my own mind.

BTW, wait til Silver Pie joins in. We've had fun doing this for quite some time. It's fun to resurrect this thread on occasion as well. It actually started out as a thread dealing with that man in Florida who disappeared in a sinkhole beneath his bedroom. Very sad. Then it deescalated into a fun zone.

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

Would you believe me if I told you that I was directed here and that I was given what to say?

God bless you with peace, that you may not take things personally, but recognize that what someone else says has more to do with what is within themselves than what is within you.

I was bid to return and tell you how much I love and respect you --- and, now, to thank you for "doing your part." I have no doubt that things are "orchestrated" and "directed" from the veil . . . and that you listen and comply, as well.

That "man in the sinkhole" need not be discouraged, depressed or feel the need to disappear. He is very much cherished and cared about.

I know what motivates you; what is in your heart - I know that many don't recognize that. I do. You have a wonderfully big heart and probably shouldn't take "negative things said" to it and question yourself.

Please locate me on Facebook and send me a friend request. This is a personal invitation that I hope you will accept.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

How does one sink a hole? - Very carefully. :D

Is the hole a half hole or a whole hole? - I wholeheartedly agree that a half hole is wholly a whole hole.

Does the hole only get sunk half way or does the whole thing collapse into a bigger hole beneath it? - :thinking: Good question.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

righteousrepublic wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 1:22 pmIt has been very trying to deal with a few posters of late so it's a relief to come here and crack jokes and the like.
This site can be very frustrating to a lot of people, that's for sure. I like your jokes, and I like it when you throw something randomly funny, punny, or weird into a thread that has gotten heated.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

righteousrepublic wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 1:22 pmwait til Silver Pie joins in. We've had fun doing this for quite some time. It's fun to resurrect this thread on occasion as well. It actually started out as a thread dealing with that man in Florida who disappeared in a sinkhole beneath his bedroom. Very sad. Then it deescalated into a fun zone.
When this topic first posted, I was amazed at the total lack of interest in something I had never heard of before (sinkholes, let alone a person actually dying because of one) - then, because of this thread, I learned more about sinkholes. Who'da thunk they were/are so prevalent? Then the op started cracking jokes and getting silly. It became our private thread for having fun (anyone and everyone else welcome to join in, of course).

And there's one thing I learned from our friendship: You can have different religious beliefs and still get along great! (I'm on the Snuffer side of things and he's on the LDS side of things, but we never argue or debate; we just enjoy our friendship. Personally, I think RR has a heart that is right before God and loves him for defending truth.)

righteousrepublic
Level 34 Illuminated

Sink disappears in a Florida man's hole.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Somehow, I get an image of a man who just finished digging a hole for a fruit tree, and his sink slides into it, never to be seen again.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Wow, 7 years later - 127,561+ views - and this thread is still going. But what ever happened to the man who disappeared into the Florida sinkhole? Sounds like a "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" sequel.

righteousrepublic
Level 34 Illuminated

Brother B. wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 11:53 pm Wow, 7 years later - 127,561+ views - and this thread is still going. But what ever happened to the man who disappeared into the Florida sinkhole? Sounds like a "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" sequel.
Sinkhole that swallowed Seffner man reopens

This proves that the earth really and truly sucks!

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

The Creator wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 11:53 pm Wow, 7 years later - 127,561+ views - and this thread is still going.
I didn't realize it had been going that long. :D

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Watching that video sparks my creativity. I see the man falling into the sinkhole in his sleep. The landing jars him awake, and he crawls through rubble as the rest of the debris from his home continues to fall downwards. He takes haven in a tunnel that leads off the main hole, but that tunnel is never found because of the rubble and debris (dirt), and the fact that the rescuers had to abruptly stop in order to check out other sinkholes (see video for that actual fact: other sinkholes).

He notices a bit of light and begins to crawl toward it.

Well, I don't want to write a whole first draft here, but essentially, the tunnel takes him to the "center" of the earth (in actuality, just several hundred miles into it - which he, of course, doesn't cover immediately, having several adventures while traveling).

First, he meets someone who takes care of his wounds and helps him as he begins to adjust to this new way of living.

Where does the light come from?
Are the people there aware of the people on the surface?
Or are only the people closer to the surface aware of that, and people deeper in consider the "believers" cranks or "woo woo" or "tinfoil hat wearers"?
And so on.