Bug out Places in utah?

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
Haddojh
captain of 50

Bug out Places in utah?

Post by Haddojh »

If disaster or calamity happened in utah, where would you go if you had to leave the heavily populated areas? just the mtns? or do you have a place in mind? you do not have to share specifics if you are uncomfortable, i understand. What skills are you proficient in and what skills are you lacking?

Haddojh
captain of 50

Re: Bug out Places in utah?

Post by Haddojh »

I know that if i had to head out somewhere, i would want to be close to my family. I am in utah county, and i would have to travel up to brigham city area. If that was not an option, i think i would head for the mtns, probably spanish fork canyon area. The skills i can bring to the table are: Building, Mechanic,Fabrication, Survival skills,hunting,fishing,cooking,sewing,being able to get water, being able to produce electricity. The skills i am lacking are probably Medical, if someone got hurt i would need a doctor.

MsEva
captain of 100

Post by MsEva »

I don't live in Utah, and from what I understand it might be best to bug out "before" something major happens. I know that it would be hard to do since no one really knows exactly when things are going to happen....unless the Spirit tells you and gives you the heads up to leave an area.

Haddojh
captain of 50

Post by Haddojh »

I think that is exactly how the righteous will survive, the spirit will guide to safe places.

MsEva
captain of 100

Post by MsEva »

Yes, I agree.

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

Haddojh, I would be glad to engage in this discussion with you. For the past 10 years or so, my wife and I have chosen to live and finish raising our family in good a bug-out spot, and I have done most of my business, etc., elsewhere to support and provide for my family here.

For the past couple years, as our children were approaching adulthood, and the season of our life was changing, I seriously considered (and tried) to relocate to improve our situation in light of the changing/shifting landscape, but last Fall, I experienced what I call my "Great Redirection," in which I was directed to stay put, and means were provided for me to be able to do that.

Although I have always been concerned about who we share our foxhole with, as part of that whole scenario, we had the opportunity to sell part of our very well-situated property to someone else to use as their own bug-out spot. I think it will be a genuine win/win for both of us.

At this point we are moving forward with some interesting projects here with an eye toward being even better situated and prepared for the future.

I would be interested in hearing more about you and your objectives. If you're not comfortable about talking about that here, but would like to discuss further, please send me a PM.

TZONE
captain of 1,000

Post by TZONE »

Haddojh wrote:I think that is exactly how the righteous will survive, the spirit will guide to safe places.

I don't disagree but some saints have to remain in the SLC valley. Who is going to do all the post "service" work to get things together again. #:-s

I would like to leave but there is nowhere to go for me. Plus how are we to move 1 years supply of food let alone 2 if you have it in one small car :-?. It took me 3 trips when I just moved into my condo 2 months ago just for the food. I love camping and can do just fine on my own except hte fact I'm in them middle of the valley so I would be surrounded by all sides not to mention 2 more condos above me falling on all my stuff. X(

I would go to family. Either my wifes or my own parents. Maybe try to pull them together too. I would stay out of the mountains for a short period of time (until quake is fully over). But I would try to gather together as saints If I can trust them.... Faster we do that the safer it would get for the people.

I just hope the Lord won't make it to hard on us. not like Joseph who had to leave with all the saints with no notice given. Not even sure we could leave if the militia really were here before it got bad.

Haddojh
captain of 50

Post by Haddojh »

What would be the easy thing to do? Stay put, or have to pack up your stuff and leave? I would say it would be hard to be warned by the spirit to pick up your belongings and head for the hills/mtns/wilderness. Lehi had to leave, Moses left, Noah had to leave in a boat, there are so many examples where the righteous, that are to be preserved, had to take such a leap of faith. That's why i feel that we might have to bug out of here when prompted. I read Visions of glory, and the earthquake happening in slc and utah county was confirmed by having felt the spirit, also had some personal experiences that have warned me of that even before i read that book. I don't take what happened to me lightly, and i am going to prepare and strive to do my best to obtain as much food storage and survival gear as soon as i can. I also am trying to work on myself spiritually, for i know if i am prepared and follow the guidance of the holyghost i will be preserved and be a part of the expansion of the center stake in jackson county missouri. I have felt i need to start to group up with people in preparing, and planning for what is to come, STRENGTH IN NUMBERS, (prepared saints).

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Somewhere off in the wild, by a river...

Doctors are nice. I would prefer a surgeon of some sorts. But In this type of scenario, I would much prefer a healer. Those are skills I encourage everyone to get right now. It doesn't take much to start.

I've thought about getting some decent land with family, and preparing there.
Which reminds me--can ANYONE remember the GC talk in which a GA spoke about their extended family buying a small farm and doing that?

awar_e
captain of 100

Post by awar_e »

The tops of the mountains are to be a place of refuge. This is where temples are built. The plan to flee the areas around temples, does not sit well with me.
This type of conjecture to flee is spread by fear.
1 Nephi
19 For behold, the righteous shall not perish; for the time surely must come that all they who fight against Zion shall be cut off.

20 And the Lord will surely prepare a way for his people, unto the fulfilling of the words of Moses, which he spake, saying: A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you. And it shall come to pass that all those who will not hear that prophet shall be cut off from among the people.

22 And the righteous need not fear, for they are those who shall not be confounded. But it is the kingdom of the devil, which shall be built up among the children of men, which kingdom is established among them which are in the flesh—

23 For the time speedily shall come that all churches which are built up to get gain, and all those who are built up to get power over the flesh, and those who are built up to become popular in the eyes of the world, and those who seek the lusts of the flesh and the things of the world, and to do all manner of iniquity; yea, in fine, all those who belong to the kingdom of the devil are they who need fear, and tremble, and quake; they are those who must be brought low in the dust; they are those who must be consumed as stubble; and this is according to the words of the prophet.

25 And he gathereth his children from the four quarters of the earth; and he numbereth his sheep, and they know him; and there shall be one fold and one shepherd; and he shall feed his sheep, and in him they shall find pasture.

27 And now behold, I, Nephi, say unto you that all these things must come aaccording to the flesh.

28 But, behold, all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people shall dwell safely in the Holy One of Israel if it so be that they will repent.

29 And now I, Nephi, make an end; for I durst not speak further as yet concerning these things.

31 Wherefore, ye need not suppose that I and my father are the only ones that have testified, and also taught them. Wherefore, if ye shall be obedient to the acommandments, and endure to the end, ye shall be saved at the last day. And thus it is. Amen.

If we contemplate the reason for earthquakes, etc. to occur in the first place, it is two fold in purpose. To awaken the Saints to repentance and also to cleanse the land of the wicked. If we are in the category of needing to repent, fleeing will not change that. If we are in the category of needing to be cleansed from the face of the earth, fleeing will do nothing to change that.
The Lord has built up a place of refuge for the saints to gather., complete with temples, storehouses, etc. Are we to be so timid and fearful that we must flee from this area or do we believe the words most commonly spoken of late.

STAND YE IN HOLY PLACES AND BE NOT MOVED
That was printed on our Ward Sacrament program last week. I take that to be the latest word from the Lord on the subject.

Haddojh
captain of 50

Post by Haddojh »

I am not talking about fleeing, you are confused. I am talking about being moved by the spirit to relocate. I have heard your spill, saying stay put from others, these others are the same that tell me not to worry and get food storage, just wait for the prophets, they won't let us be destroyed. Have they not been informing us for a long long time? YES, But I don not believe if i just have faith i will be saved from an earthquake. I believe that in order to be saved from such a disaster, that you are to be aware and listen to the holy ghost. Faith without works is dead, I the holy ghost is telling you to stay put, then stay put. If i relocated it would be because of the spirit, i will not flee because of fear.

awar_e
captain of 100

Post by awar_e »

Haddojh wrote:I am not talking about fleeing, you are confused. I am talking about being moved by the spirit to relocate. I have heard your spill, saying stay put from others, these others are the same that tell me not to worry and get food storage, just wait for the prophets, they won't let us be destroyed. Have they not been informing us for a long long time? YES, But I don not believe if i just have faith i will be saved from an earthquake. I believe that in order to be saved from such a disaster, that you are to be aware and listen to the holy ghost. Faith without works is dead, I the holy ghost is telling you to stay put, then stay put. If i relocated it would be because of the spirit, i will not flee because of fear.
While your message appears to be somewhat inconclusive, perhaps it would be best for YOU to leave Utah county.

TZONE
captain of 1,000

Post by TZONE »

Yes I agree, follow the spirit on where to go. I'm just not sure how the Lord will take care of removing the wicked from this land SLC so it can be a place a refuge? Does war come forth drafting many in? Does persecution start for the saints in this land so severe that the wicked won't even stay and leave to other places thus making it a place of refuge once its over? Does the earthquake itself start that than chaos will be around for a short while than the plague and civil wars begin and sometime before or after people will flee here? Or the strength of the saints will become so strong they will look terrible and drive the wicked away.

We just don't know. Spirit will direct our own lives if the prophet does not warn us to do anything except the warning of "be prepared" which has been warned for many many years. The spirit will tell us what WE need to do personally.

I think toelle/grantsville is a nice place. Not too far away yet lots of land and few people.

awar_e
captain of 100

Post by awar_e »

God's Army will be focused on temples and works of eternal worth.

Teancum
captain of 100

Post by Teancum »

I have given this topic some thought for a few years. I appreciate all who have voiced their thoughts on the subject, and by no means want to discourage any from their inspired course of action.

These are my musings and ponderings about it though: If we read the Book of Mormon and have come to Ether 8 awakened, could we use the Book of Mormon as a type and shadow of our day? What does it say? When Mormon interrupts his narrative to speak about things, what is it he is most anxious for us to get out of his message? I will leave that line of questioning for you to answer yourself, and move to the opposite side of the fence for a minute.

In the Book of Mormon, where are the bad guys located? Where do they like to haunt? I can see at least two places. So where is a safe bug out place? I know of a few towns specifically prophesied about over the pulpit by a stake president that indicate a place of refuge. But, in addition to the prophesy of a place of saftey, he also said that before that would happen that town would have trials to go through. (if I can recall the words - its been a few years).

In any case, the mountains have good and bad attached to them. Let me share a personal observation: During hunting season, I have observed a particular lawlessness or bad attitude take hold of many people in the mountains. Something about being away from "civilized society" and the reach of law or having broken out of being surrounded by decency. A palpable feel of power over another life etc..

To bring all this rambling thought to a consice end: Saftey with the saints. Power in numbers, and very vulnerable and alone in a bunker on a hillside somewhere.

Best to follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost.

TZONE
captain of 1,000

Post by TZONE »

kenssurplus wrote:I have given this topic some thought for a few years. I appreciate all who have voiced their thoughts on the subject, and by no means want to discourage any from their inspired course of action.

These are my musings and ponderings about it though: If we read the Book of Mormon and have come to Ether 8 awakened, could we use the Book of Mormon as a type and shadow of our day? What does it say? When Mormon interrupts his narrative to speak about things, what is it he is most anxious for us to get out of his message? I will leave that line of questioning for you to answer yourself, and move to the opposite side of the fence for a minute.

In the Book of Mormon, where are the bad guys located? Where do they like to haunt? I can see at least two places. So where is a safe bug out place? I know of a few towns specifically prophesied about over the pulpit by a stake president that indicate a place of refuge. But, in addition to the prophesy of a place of saftey, he also said that before that would happen that town would have trials to go through. (if I can recall the words - its been a few years).

In any case, the mountains have good and bad attached to them. Let me share a personal observation: During hunting season, I have observed a particular lawlessness or bad attitude take hold of many people in the mountains. Something about being away from "civilized society" and the reach of law or having broken out of being surrounded by decency. A palpable feel of power over another life etc..

To bring all this rambling thought to a consice end: Saftey with the saints. Power in numbers, and very vulnerable and alone in a bunker on a hillside somewhere.

Best to follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost.
Doesn't the Book of Mormon give the impression that the saints are partially already gathered together? Those who are not go to where the saints are. Care to share about those two places? We know they are only opinion.

It seems it always comes down to the initial trial's. Do we want to be in a larger city area for those trials like SLC? Or do we want to be in smaller township areas. Even parkcity, heber, grantsville, or anywhere outside of the larger city you are living in. I assume if the spirit doesn't tell you anything it doesn't matter as anyone can survive.

I say move close to a church storehouse in your area. :-B Even though we shouldn't rely on food from the church as they may not give us the food till months later after the conflict.

moving2zion
captain of 100

Post by moving2zion »

My wife and I made a concerted effort to get our years supply of food set aside the first year we were marries. We did pretty good on savings too. Unfortunately I was released from my job along with others and was unable to find work for an extended period of time. I used that time to acquire some of the other skills that will be needed. Radio / communications skills, gardening, alternative energy production and storage. Now we have been diligently seeking the Lord's input on the direction to take our family. We live in the blast radius of a major military installation and want to move to where there is better land to live on.

You are right on the point that the spirit may direct you to relocate. do not assume however that the Lord is simply moving you to hide you away. There is too much work to be done to simply sit back and wait things out. We all must still be engaged in a good cause. Once you have discerned the direction you are to take, throw yourself into the work upon your arrival. The big earthquake could come immediately after your move. Jumping straight into home teaching, temple attendance, etc. will help you build up a local network of people you can rely on and learn what skills the brethren in your area have. it will help you to quickly learn the routes and terrain of the new location to which you may move. A lot more could be said to this as well. Have your wife meet with her visiting teachers- discover who has canning skills, what vegetables grow readily in the soils of the area? The quicker you get to work on the Lord's errands the sooner he can bless you with the tools you will need to survive and thrive in that environment.

awar_e
captain of 100

Post by awar_e »

moving2zion wrote:My wife and I made a concerted effort to get our years supply of food set aside the first year we were marries. We did pretty good on savings too. Unfortunately I was released from my job along with others and was unable to find work for an extended period of time. I used that time to acquire some of the other skills that will be needed. Radio / communications skills, gardening, alternative energy production and storage. Now we have been diligently seeking the Lord's input on the direction to take our family. We live in the blast radius of a major military installation and want to move to where there is better land to live on.

You are right on the point that the spirit may direct you to relocate. do not assume however that the Lord is simply moving you to hide you away. There is too much work to be done to simply sit back and wait things out. We all must still be engaged in a good cause. Once you have discerned the direction you are to take, throw yourself into the work upon your arrival. The big earthquake could come immediately after your move. Jumping straight into home teaching, temple attendance, etc. will help you build up a local network of people you can rely on and learn what skills the brethren in your area have. it will help you to quickly learn the routes and terrain of the new location to which you may move. A lot more could be said to this as well. Have your wife meet with her visiting teachers- discover who has canning skills, what vegetables grow readily in the soils of the area? The quicker you get to work on the Lord's errands the sooner he can bless you with the tools you will need to survive and thrive in that environment.
Very good advice. Many seem to forget that we are to be engaged in the works of our Father in Heaven. Bugging out to avoid something yet unknown about, may place us in a path of serious destruction which had been unforeseen. Wherever we are at present, there are many that could use our help in any of a multitude of ways.
Perhaps one or more of use are neighbors to the person who posted the above post.
Will we best serve the Lord by trying to escape the area where he lives, or might we try to help him learn the things that he desires to learn about his area?
Zion communities are being formed as we read these posts and we find others who desire to learn some skills or knowledge which we have.
I yearn to be able to USE some of what I learned as I grew up on a farm in the 1940's, yet I have only 2 small residential lots in the city. I do have an electric tiller, as I can no longer start gasoline engines with a rope.

My body now has no capabilities of a bug out of any type, but I did leave the Oregon coast about 15 years ago with my family to return to the tops of the mountains where we have 2 operating temples and 2 under construction. The oldest of the 4 happens to be the busiest Temple of the church and I was a non-member visitor to it before it was dedicated. I feel that I am home now, although I was born and raised in the tar and feather area of Ohio.
Perhaps we would all feel more useful if we looked for those who have no capabilities to leave their current area and join them in creating a Zion community.

“He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.” (John 12:25.) Or, as recorded in Luke, “Whosoever shall seek to save his life shall lose it; and whosoever shall lose his life shall preserve it.” (Luke 17:33.) In other words, he who lives only unto himself withers and dies, while he who forgets himself in the service of others grows and blossoms in this life and in eternity.

HeirofNumenor
the Heir Of Numenor

Post by HeirofNumenor »

TZONE wrote:Yes I agree, follow the spirit on where to go. I'm just not sure how the Lord will take care of removing the wicked from this land SLC so it can be a place a refuge? Does war come forth drafting many in? Does persecution start for the saints in this land so severe that the wicked won't even stay and leave to other places thus making it a place of refuge once its over? Does the earthquake itself start that than chaos will be around for a short while than the plague and civil wars begin and sometime before or after people will flee here? Or the strength of the saints will become so strong they will look terrible and drive the wicked away.

We just don't know. Spirit will direct our own lives if the prophet does not warn us to do anything except the warning of "be prepared" which has been warned for many many years. The spirit will tell us what WE need to do personally.

I think toelle/grantsville is a nice place. Not too far away yet lots of land and few people.

Sorry to disappoint those who hold to the words of Wolfgramm, Pontius, Menet, etc....

But is an the prophetic statements about last days' cleansing - when it comes to Utah only three men on a general authority level have ever published any description of how Utah will be cleansed: Pres. John Taylor's Vision (recorded by Wilford Woodruff), Patriarch (to the Church) Charles D. Evans, and Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley (admittedly his statement to Cleon Skousen may seem to be applied more generally to the USA, than to the Church).

All three say it will be a plague...

Nothing else is mentioned for Utah: Not an earthquake, not a nuke attack, nor a Chinese invasion, nor a tornado, nor a tidal wave, etc. - -- -- NOTHING but a plague...

Maybe it means nothing - or maybe it does....

Still, get your year's supply of food and water (starting first towards a three-month supply) and other emergency equipment and clothing, store fuel where possible, get out of debt....stocking up on firearms and ammo is up to you - though the gov't may come for them before you can ever use them to defend you food supply.

And always make sure your testimony of God & Christ, the Gospel and the Church (and it's leaders) are strong and intact...make sure you can actually hear - and UNDERSTAND the Holy Ghost...

MsEva
captain of 100

Post by MsEva »

I realize what has been prophesied about what will happen in certain places, but I am open enough to believe that just maybe OTHER things MAY occur.

HeirofNumenor
the Heir Of Numenor

Post by HeirofNumenor »

MsEva wrote:I realize what has been prophesied about what will happen in certain places, but I am open enough to believe that just maybe OTHER things MAY occur.

Like I said, maybe it means something, maybe it doesn't...I just found it interesting that only ONE thing has been mentioned for Utah for those at or near the top, whereas others are placing great reliance on the words of...others......

And you are right - almost anything can happen (even The FP had all the downtown Church buildings retrofitted (and the new Conference Center built) to withstand a severe quake - though I have to draw the line at Volcanoes in the Great Salt Lake and Utah lake - though totally possible at Yellowstone Park in Wyoming...

dlbww
captain of 100

Post by dlbww »

Last edited by dlbww on September 26th, 2015, 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeirofNumenor
the Heir Of Numenor

Post by HeirofNumenor »

Interesting inspired direction you have taken. We have been out of the city for ten years as well and I don't feel the need to move back or relocate elsewhere. Instead we are quietly preparing where we are.

This slow collapse has increased in speed recently. Whether fast or slow I see a solution in; working for yourself (tax advantage), growing more of your own food (health factor), becoming more self-reliant (fixing your own stuff), paying off debt quickly and staying close to the spirit. As the curtain is pulled back and people see more clearly there will be a rush to acquire certain items, even to relocate, etc.. The oil in the lamp is all those things (both physical and spiritual) you cannot purchase at midnight (because they are no longer available, etc.).
Great response - something I have wanted to do....

May I ask how far away from people you live? Like small town, or say, 30 miles out in the boonies, nearest farm/ranch/house 5 miles away, etc?

dlbww
captain of 100

Post by dlbww »

Last edited by dlbww on September 26th, 2015, 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeirofNumenor
the Heir Of Numenor

Post by HeirofNumenor »

We live on acreage, so do all our neighbours, and we can't see them from our house. We live on an Island off the west coast of Canada,
Thank you for responding. For some reason I had it in my mind from an earlier post of yours several months ago (detailing all the fruit and nut trees you have), that you lived somewhere north of Phoenix, but not quite to Flagstaff.

My concern about how far from your neighbors goes towards how isolated you are (out of sight from hungry mobs) vs, how close you are to others for help, to the stores, "civilization", etc - something that has been on my mind a lot for the last few years as I contemplate where to locate to.