Why do concealed carry?

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
Raindrop
captain of 100

Why do concealed carry?

Post by Raindrop »

I have not been through a cc course, mainly because I was wary of giving my information out that might possibly stay on some "list" somewhere. I'm mainly looking for answers from those who've done the class.

1. Why did you choose to voluntarily give your information out when it could so easily fall into the wrong hands?

2. What information is required to go through this class? Address, SS#, prints?

3. What advantage(s) if any do you see taking this course as opposed to private instruction?

I have similar questions for those who have chosen to register their firearms... what's required? What's the advantage, etc...?

dauser
captain of 100

Re: Why do concealed carry?

Post by dauser »

Good questions.

If you open carry, you are considered a threat that needs to be investigatged by the authorities, so few people open carry.

If you conceal carry without a permit you are a criminal.

If you conceal carry with a permit, you alert the enemy and convict yourself.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

The enemy is already alerted. As soon as you are born, your name is already on so many computers it's just not possible to be off the grid without a lot of money and effort to concoct an alternate ID. If you purchase ammo in a store your name is already in a computer. If you pay with cash, your picture is still in a computer. Raindrop, you started a topic about guns, so somewhere in Ft. Meade your name is on a list. With as much as I've complained here, on Facebook, in emails, I'm sure my file is thick and full of very ugly stuff.

We believe in honoring, obeying, and sustaining the law. Since I need a CCW permit to carry concealed legally, I choose to follow the law and put more of my info out there. It's not like it doesn't already exist.

Raindrop
captain of 100

Post by Raindrop »

Sooo.... there's nothing really to hide anymore since our info is already all available to TPTB or whomever is going to get it. I can see that angle.

What about the "turning in your guns" idea.... won't they suspect cc people have guns? Go there first? Whereas the rest of the population... maybe, maybe not. Someone w/o the cc could better argue they have none...?

I appreciate the obeying the law point... I also remember my Judge relative telling me half the people in prison are there because they talked too much. :-$

I don't think the bogus IDs/PO Boxes, etc. are nearly as easy as they were 50 or even 30 years ago.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

My initial thought was because I want to uphold the law.

Now that the law is turning against me, I now feel that I do not need "government" permission to exercise the rights God gave me. However, lately, I have increasing felt that the choice of obeying God and obeying man's law is becoming a choice of life and death. Obey God and die, or given into man and live (for a moment longer).

Nomad
captain of 10

Post by Nomad »

If you bought your firearm filled out the paper work they have your name.
If you go hunting they have you name.
As well as the internet key words show up (so I have heard no proof as yet..)
With the millions of gun owners in this nation you will hear very quckly if they collect any firearms..
Having a CCW tells the police you are a felony free and should be a good person.....
I have a right to protect my family and a CCW this day ad age might be a good idea..

sadie_Mormon
captain of 1,000

Post by sadie_Mormon »

They already have all the info so it's not like they are getting information they don't already have.

JerL
captain of 100

Post by JerL »

I don't, I open carry. I do however have a permit so I can legally carry into a school, namely my children's school. I am unsure what state you reside in but here is a site specific to Utah and her laws. You may be able to find one for the state you reside in.

http://www.utahconcealedcarry.com/

Melissa
captain of 1,000

Post by Melissa »

Raindrop wrote:I have not been through a cc course, mainly because I was wary of giving my information out that might possibly stay on some "list" somewhere. I'm mainly looking for answers from those who've done the class.

1. Why did you choose to voluntarily give your information out when it could so easily fall into the wrong hands?

2. What information is required to go through this class? Address, SS#, prints?

3. What advantage(s) if any do you see taking this course as opposed to private instruction?

I have similar questions for those who have chosen to register their firearms... what's required? What's the advantage, etc...?

When I did mine, I had paperwork which consisted of all my personal information including my SS#. I had to go get finger printed on both hands in what seemed to be incredibly thorough. Then I had to go to the local DMV to get my photo taken and have facial recognition done by a special camera. After being cleared(waiting 1 month or so) I had to go pick it up from the sheriff. Oh, my instruction consisted of meeting the firearms instructor police officer at the shooting range and showing that I was proficient by shooting a few targets from different distances. Now, this was not a ccw class but just a way to show an officer and get his approval of proficiency. This was all in the state of WY. If it seems like a lot know that WY has one of the most widely accepted ccw permits across the states.

If you decide to take the class, you are not giving up any more info than to get the permit. Check with you sheriffs office and see what they can do. In WY a military ID, and hunters safety worked and you could also just prove proficiency with an officer. Mine took about 1/2 hour and was fun.

I would rather do things the correct way and the honest way. I like to have the choice to CC if I ever feel the need or desire to (I am a woman). I find peace knowing that I have that right and ability without having to hide it. In my one on one officer instruction, he instilled confidence in me by telling me how I should respond and act around any officer now that I have a CCW permit. He also taught me how to report to an officer if I ever had to use my weapon. This instruction took away the bulk of the fear I had and replaced it with a greater sense of self reliance and honor in upholding the personal safety of my family.

It was not an easy process and now I am in every system with every piece of info except my DNA but that is ok. I have a greater sense of pride and feel more established as a responsible citizen doing things the correct and honest way. Plus, it has put me on the side of "the good guys" and I don't mind standing up for what is good and right.

CC might not be right for you, you will know if it it something you should do or not. If you are trying to "hide" then don't get a permit, if you are trying to be an upstanding citizen willing to defend yourself then do it the right way. I am glad I got mine.

uglypitbull
captain of 1,000

Post by uglypitbull »

If you lived in a state that actually honored the 2nd amendment (like AZ or AK), you wouldn't need a CCW.

I am still wondering why Utah still makes people get a CCW in the first place....guess not everyone in the UT Congress gives a flying crap about Utahns rights.

Last I heard, a Rep Sandstrom from Orem proposed a constitutional carry law....but apparently it was voted down and nobody else has the cajones to re-propose it. X(

natasha
captain of 1,000

Post by natasha »

Thanks for your post, Melissa. I am considering getting a concealed weapon permit sometime next year when I can gather the money together.

Melissa
captain of 1,000

Post by Melissa »

uglypitbull wrote:If you lived in a state that actually honored the 2nd amendment (like AZ or AK), you wouldn't need a CCW.

I am still wondering why Utah still makes people get a CCW in the first place....guess not everyone in the UT Congress gives a flying crap about Utahns rights.

Last I heard, a Rep Sandstrom from Orem proposed a constitutional carry law....but apparently it was voted down and nobody else has the cajones to re-propose it. X(
After I got my WY CC permit they passed a law stating you no longer needed a permit to carry either. But I keep mine because it works in so many other states. There are also more laws about carrying, open and concealed, in each individual city not just the state as a whole. The city I got mine in did not allow for concealed carry so when you hit city limits you simply take the gun out and set it on your dash or if on your person you just adjust you clothing or holster to reveal your weapon and you are fine.

Melissa
captain of 1,000

Post by Melissa »

natasha wrote:Thanks for your post, Melissa. I am considering getting a concealed weapon permit sometime next year when I can gather the money together.
Your welcome. Don't be scared or nervous about it - lots of formality but that is needed.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

karend77
captain of 1,000

Post by karend77 »

uglypitbull wrote:If you lived in a state that actually honored the 2nd amendment (like AZ or AK), you wouldn't need a CCW.

Sandstrom was pretty much run out of town for his constitutional stands, sigh. This was done by his own kind (the Republican establishment). He did get the law changed in that a concealed carry is allowable in public institutions like schools again. But the LDS church put a clause in there that not allowed on religious institutions property, once they have in any form announced they do not allow firearms on their property.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

So which of your rights are more important? Your right to carry a gun or the right of private property owners to regulate who can carry a gun onto their property?

karend77
captain of 1,000

Post by karend77 »

gkearney wrote:So which of your rights are more important? Your right to carry a gun or the right of private property owners to regulate who can carry a gun onto their property?
Not sure why you asked that question. Before Sandstrom changed the law....all the schools banned having firearms, even for concealed carry. He just helped pass the law that those with permits be able to do so. The church's stance/clause was given for informational purposes only. So, along with the church buildings, since BYU is a religious school, concealed carry holders cannot bring weapons unto the premises, not even in their cars, per their written rules, which technically is against the constitution.

But to answer your question the right to bar arms (2nd amendment) is a stated right given (supposedly) to all Americans. Technically private property ownership is not described in any of the 27 Amendments to the Constitution, other than a reference to seizure of property "nor shall private property be taken for public use" in the 5th amendment.

http://www.cato.org/sites/cato.org/file ... 111-34.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
America’s Founders understood clearly that private property is the foundation not only of prosperity but of freedom itself. Thus, through the common law, state law, and the Constitution they protected property rights—the rights of people to freely acquire, use, and dispose of property. With the growth of modern government, however, those rights have been seriously compromised. Unfortunately, the Supreme Court has yet to develop a principled, much less comprehensive, theory for remedying those violations. That failure has led to the birth of the property rights movement in state after state. It is time now for Congress to step in—to correct its own violations and to set out a standard that courts might notice

The Constitution protects property rights mainly through the Fifth Amendment’s Takings or Just Compensation Clause: ‘‘nor shall private
property be taken for public use without just compensation.’’ There are two basic ways government can take property: (1) outright, by condemning the property and taking the title; and (2) through regulations that take uses, leaving the title with the owner—so-called regulatory takings. In the first case, the title is all-too-often taken not for a public use but for a private use; and rarely is the compensation received by the owner just.

But we all know that we dont even own our property anymore, just try to not pay your property taxes one year and see what happens.

ktg
captain of 100

Post by ktg »

In Utah it'll save you $10 for each gun you buy as you don't have to have a background check done. It's also supposed to make the process faster because all the gun store has to do is call B.C.I. and verify your permit. I went to buy an AR on Thursday and the phone number to B.C.I. was so busy that the guy tried to talk me into paying the $10 and doing a background check because he said it would be faster. I declined and had to come back a couple hours later and they had finally gotten through. They said people buying guns this past week was INSANE. It was the last store that I could find with ARs. When I got there they had 6 left and by that afternoon they were all gone. The salesman said he had sold 40 ARs on Tuesday and about 400 since the election. This is in a county of about 35,000 people.

uglypitbull
captain of 1,000

Post by uglypitbull »

ktg wrote:They said people buying guns this past week was INSANE.
I counted 50 in line at Cabellas on Thursday

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

karend77 wrote:But to answer your question the right to bar arms (2nd amendment) is a stated right given (supposedly) to all Americans. Technically private property ownership is not described in any of the 27 Amendments to the Constitution, other than a reference to seizure of property "nor shall private property be taken for public use" in the 5th amendment.
This is why Australia has always resisted the push to develop a bill if rights for our constitution as exists in the U.S. and Canada. The fear has always been that once you start enumerating rights any right not so enumerated does not exist. So Australia looks to common law as the benchmark and not a list of rights.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

A better question is, why not?

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Practical or dangerous?

MsEva
captain of 100

Post by MsEva »

freedomfighter wrote:Practical or dangerous?

Cool, I want one of those too!

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

MsEva wrote:
freedomfighter wrote:Practical or dangerous?

Cool, I want one of those too!

http://flashbangholster.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;