My blog (New Entry)

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Re: My blog (Updated 8/30/2018)

Post by marc »

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Re: My blog (Updated 10/13/2018)

Post by marc »

New entry: What Seek Ye?

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Re: My blog (Updated 1/4/2019)

Post by marc »

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Re: My blog (Updated 3/6/2019)

Post by marc »

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Re: My blog (Updated 4/18/2019)

Post by marc »

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Re: My blog (Updated 5/29/2019)

Post by marc »

True
captain of 100

Re: My blog (Updated 6/3/2019)

Post by True »

When I really started studying the scriptures as an adult, two things stuck out to me: how much God expects us to take care of the poor and how important Sabbath Day observance is to Him.

My dad could never pass by someone with a sign or someone who looked like they needed help and so I grew up seeing and following his example. I had a recent extended experience with a homeless man that left a very bad taste in my mouth. It made me more reluctant to help anyone. My giving heart vanished and a hard cynical heart took its place. I pretty much couldn't bring myself to give money to those on the streets with signs. Most of the time they are dressed better than me. That hard heart ended when the Lord gave me a great experience in giving a couple of weeks ago.

It would be so nice to know who the Valjeans and Fantines of the world are.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

True wrote: June 3rd, 2019, 10:10 pmIt would be so nice to know who the Valjeans and Fantines of the world are.
But then the test would be too easy and not a real measure of our hearts. We are all filthy sinners and beggars (unless one has never begged God forgiveness or help). Just because we go to church and wear pretty suits and neck ties and clean shaven smiles doesn't make us any less filthy than those who take advantage of us for their next hit. Joseph Smith remarked that the beggar may indeed be indolent, but it is better to risk helping ten impostors than to pass up one honest petition. I shudder to think about passing up anyone because I am just as much in need of God's mercy, if not more, than the most indolent beggar.

True
captain of 100

Post by True »

I agree. It's just that I had about 20 voicemail from him and non-stop calls for cash. Just a little taste of one experience with him, there were many, too many to type: When I went on a Sunday to bring him a Sunday dinner (25 miles away) he was already at a church eating a nice hot meal, given medical care, clothes and lunches for the next couple of days. They talked about the church that fed them breakfast and another provided dinner for the night before. Afterward he turned down the $20 I offered him for three shoe lace bracelets he had made (very poorly) and demanded $30. When I declined, and told him I didn't bring more than $20, he said that I can just owe him. I have to tell you that my husband and I walked away knowing why our church handles it differently. I was wondering why we weren't doing what other churches were and I got to see it first hand. If you had been there, you would have felt it. I wasn't expecting to feel that way.

Maybe that is what I was supposed to learn. I kept asking the Lord what I was supposed to learn from all of this. A good documentary that kind of goes along with this lesson is called "Breaking the Curse with Daryn Kagan" Its either on Netflix or Prime and is fabulous. Its about a lady, that I later found out was of our faith, that helps out lepers in India. She gets paired up with the daughter of a dignitary in India and she helps her learn how to properly help poor people (at least this population). It is fascinating and instructive.

I had a very different experience recently. It was a weekday and I was fasting. As per Isaiah 58, I was looking for some hungry to feed. The Lord taught me another time that doing that is part of a true fast. When I pulled into the walmart, I saw a guy outside his dumpy RV with a sign about having 3 kids and needing milk and stuff. I was so happy because I could fulfill this part of the fast. It was so strange because the Lord showed me all of the things to buy. Eggs, milk, bread, butter, oil, breads, chips, peanut butter and other things, including gum. I got cookies and easter candy and baskets. I had to go back because I knew I needed to get water but it was as far as it could be. I checked out and was so excited to give it to him.

I had been praying that he was a good person and would share it with his children and was not an abusive father. I kept praying that this would go to a person that really needed it and it wouldn't go to waste. When I got outside and walked to where he was, he was gone. I couldn't believe it because I knew the Lord had been directing me in my grocery shopping. I said, "Lord, you better provide someone to give this to by the time I get back to my car!" I kept walking and getting closer to my car. "I can't believe you're not going to provide someone for me. Seriously?!" I just couldn't believe he didn't provide. I loaded everything into my trunk and noticed that my gum was not bagged and I hadn't paid for it.

I walked back into the store and went to the self check out and was going to put the gum back and not buy it. The Spirit said, "No, you have to buy it." I got in line and a very thin lady with her daughter (maybe about 12 or 13) got in line behind me to purchase one small item. She looked poor. She then decided it was too long and went into a different line. I knew immediately that she was supposed to have the food. I was getting a bit nervous trying to figure out a way to ask a stranger if she wanted a lot of food. It seemed a bit presumptuous. I kept track of her and waited for her, got enough courage and then explained how I had bought a bunch of food for a guy with a sign and he left. I knew it was a weird question but did she want any food? I didn't want to take it home.

She told me that she could always use more food. Her husband didn't get paid until Friday (it was Saturday) and she had no food in her house and she had been praying for help. She was only there and purchased one item because it was her daughter's birthday and she bought her a little something on a credit card. The dumb thing is that the Lord told me to get a cake mix but I thought that was just my crazy mind making that up. He told me three times. I wasn't sure you could make a cake in an RV, so I didn't listen. But I had bought oil and eggs too so they could have made that girl a birthday cake. When I unloaded the groceries into her car she was giddy. She was so excited to have Easter candy for her kids for the next day.

If I hadn't gotten the gum or even the water, I would never have been in the same place and time as that woman. If I had bought the cake mix, the story would be even better. It was so awesome to be available to help a Fantine and be part of answering someone's prayer. I let her know that the food was compliments of the Lord, absolutely and without question. I hope she felt that the Lord loved her and knew of her needs and came through for her.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

PickleRick
captain of 100

Post by PickleRick »

Very nice entry, marc. I still lean towards reading it "less wi-fi and more knee-fi" as I think there is a clever wordplay there that works.

But really loved your blog entry. I tried writing a blog, I think I have been doing it for about 2 months and have a total of three entries, I think.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

PickleRick wrote: November 3rd, 2019, 6:00 pm Very nice entry, marc. I still lean towards reading it "less wi-fi and more knee-fi" as I think there is a clever wordplay there that works.

But really loved your blog entry. I tried writing a blog, I think I have been doing it for about 2 months and have a total of three entries, I think.
I like that! Knee-fi implying more kneeling, more prayer. Thank you for taking the time to read it. I labored for weeks to put all my thoughts together. I wanted to put much more into it, but not a lot of folks have the attention span to read the kind of entries that I write.

PickleRick
captain of 100

Post by PickleRick »

marc wrote: November 5th, 2019, 4:25 pm
PickleRick wrote: November 3rd, 2019, 6:00 pm Very nice entry, marc. I still lean towards reading it "less wi-fi and more knee-fi" as I think there is a clever wordplay there that works.

I like that! Knee-fi implying more kneeling, more prayer. Thank you for taking the time to read it. I labored for weeks to put all my thoughts together. I wanted to put much more into it, but not a lot of folks have the attention span to read the kind of entries that I write.
Maybe it is more important for you to go thru the process than for any good it will do anyone else. The few blog entries I have done, I think they are far better and important than any journal entries I have written. So, keep up the good work!

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Re: My blog (Updated 11/3/2019)

Post by marc »

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

marc wrote: November 21st, 2019, 5:20 pm Twelve Diatribes of Modern Israel
From the essay:
I trust that what I have attempted by way of saluting our beloved mentor, Hugh Nibley, will have only a positive effect in the lives of the Saints, will help us eliminate the imbalance that is idolatry and move us to center our souls in God. As it has been Brother Nibley’s manner to state his case and disappear in the crowd, so I write these words in the same spirit. The imperative to purify our lives seems self-evident. Whether we can do so in time, not whether we must, is the question that hangs over us all. Although we live in a world that combines the evils of the past, the principle that the Lord gives no commandment unless he prepares a way to keep it (1 Nephi 3:7) surely is true of the first commandment—to love the Lord with our whole heart and soul, and with all our might.
There is no doubt in my mind that we LDS are a very idolatrous people. It is evident in our temples, our churches, our universities, our neighborhoods, and our own homes. We worship Mammon; we are an adulterous nation whoring after all manner of idols. We are a filthy people.

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

marc wrote: November 22nd, 2019, 4:26 am
From the essay:
I trust that what I have attempted by way of saluting our beloved mentor, Hugh Nibley, will have only a positive effect in the lives of the Saints, will help us eliminate the imbalance that is idolatry and move us to center our souls in God. As it has been Brother Nibley’s manner to state his case and disappear in the crowd, so I write these words in the same spirit. The imperative to purify our lives seems self-evident. Whether we can do so in time, not whether we must, is the question that hangs over us all. Although we live in a world that combines the evils of the past, the principle that the Lord gives no commandment unless he prepares a way to keep it (1 Nephi 3:7) surely is true of the first commandment—to love the Lord with our whole heart and soul, and with all our might.
There is no doubt in my mind that we LDS are a very idolatrous people. It is evident in our temples, our churches, our universities, our neighborhoods, and our own homes. We worship Mammon; we are an adulterous nation whoring after all manner of idols. We are a filthy people.
Can you be more specific about what you think the idols are in our churches, temples, and universities? I think it is clearer what some of the idols are in our homes.

I also think there is a clear distinction between how Nibley and Gileadi approached this topic and the points each of them were trying to make. If you read “How Firm a Foundation?” and “Forty Variations on an Unpopular Theme” it is pretty evident.

I also find it ironic the motives for book sales and seminars from the two men which has added to my skepticism of Gileadi.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

drtanner wrote: November 22nd, 2019, 8:23 am
From the essay:
Can you be more specific about what you think the idols are in our churches, temples, and universities? I think it is clearer what some of the idols are in our homes.

I also think there is a clear distinction between how Nibley and Gileadi approached this topic and the points each of them were trying to make. If you read “How Firm a Foundation?” and “Forty Variations on an Unpopular Theme” it is pretty evident.

I also find it ironic the motives for book sales and seminars from the two men which has added to my skepticism of Gileadi.
Hi, drtanner. I am always glad to hear from you, brother. The essay is very categorically specific. It would be redundant of me to quote it here. I will look up How Firm a Foundation and Forty Variations on an Unpopular Theme (which I think I read years ago). I certainly agree with the irony of said book sales, which is why I do not monetize my blog or anything I have ever shared, and though I did publish a Spanish translation of the Lectures on Faith, I do not make any money whatsoever and on the contrary, have it listed at the bare minimum allowed price set by Amazon for the cost of publishing. But I am hard pressed to disagree with the content of Gileadi's monetized writings. Have a wonderful day, brother!

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

marc wrote: November 22nd, 2019, 8:31 am
drtanner wrote: November 22nd, 2019, 8:23 am
From the essay:

Hi, drtanner. I am always glad to hear from you, brother. The essay is very categorically specific. It would be redundant of me to quote it here. I will look up How Firm a Foundation and Forty Variations on an Unpopular Theme (which I think I read years ago). I certainly agree with the irony of said book sales, which is why I do not monetize my blog or anything I have ever shared, and though I did publish a Spanish translation of the Lectures on Faith, I do not make any money whatsoever and on the contrary, have it listed at the bare minimum allowed price set by Amazon for the cost of publishing. But I am hard pressed to disagree with the content of Gileadi's monetized writings. Have a wonderful day, brother!
Always good to here from you to brother!!

This is the only thing I found in the article in relation to idolatry in the temple:

“Several kinds of idolatry polluted the house of God anciently, including the symbol of envy,102 a man-made idol situated at the inner entrance and exit (Ezekiel 8:3, 5). Men also viewed all manner of images portrayed against a wall (Ezekiel 8:10-12); elders of Israel made clouds of perfume or sweet odors (Ezekiel 8:11);103 women at the temple bewailed the death of a popular cult figure (Ezekiel 8:14); and men worshiped the great luminary in the temple’s precincts (Ezekiel 8:16).“

I’m wondering how you are translating these things into our modern temples and what you think is idolatrous in them?

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Re: My blog (Updated 11/21/2019)

Post by marc »

On second thought, drtanner, it occurred to me that you are looking for examples of the specific idols. That being the case, based on the essay, which is very well supported by the scriptures are the manner in which we adorn our buildings, venerating anything and anyone other than our Savior Jesus Christ. Even our the thoughts of our hearts and the manner in which we adorn ourselves are idolatrous. Isaiah spent a substantial amount of time describing the way the daughters of Zion adorn themselves with all kinds of accessories and trinkets. Men's vanities are different, but no less present with their insistence of measured haircuts and the traditional constitution of "priesthood uniforms." Universities are adorned with all kinds of statues and banners glorifying men and sports icons with all the accompanying profiteering (Cougars, etc). The list goes on and on.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

drtanner wrote: November 22nd, 2019, 8:40 amI’m wondering how you are translating these things into our modern temples and what you think is idolatrous in them?
Well, the most obvious is the adornment of the giant golden Moroni on the top of almost all temples. Joseph Smith did not build the Kirtland temple adorned with such a thing. He was taken before the Nauvoo temple was finished to the second floor and the Salt Lake City temple was the first that formally named that "angel" as Moroni. https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... ds-temples

Another of the most idalotrous in them would be ourselves when we attend with "vain oblations" as Isaiah put it quoting the Lord, while we worship therein with distracted thoughts of all our worldly idols, pastimes, and pursuits. Such preoccupations while we participate in temples and church meetings were likened to abominable incenses rising to His throne as it were, which should have been sweet unto the Lord. Instead, He instead declared:
Isaiah 1:10 ¶ Hear the word of the Lord, ye rulers of Sodom; give ear unto the law of our God, ye people of Gomorrah.

11 To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the Lord: I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats.

12 When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand, to tread my courts?

13 Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting.

14 Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them.

15 And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood.

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

marc wrote: November 22nd, 2019, 8:45 am On second thought, drtanner, it occurred to me that you are looking for examples of the specific idols. That being the case, based on the essay, which is very well supported by the scriptures are the manner in which we adorn our buildings, venerating anything and anyone other than our Savior Jesus Christ. Even our the thoughts of our hearts and the manner in which we adorn ourselves are idolatrous. Isaiah spent a substantial amount of time describing the way the daughters of Zion adorn themselves with all kinds of accessories and trinkets. Men's vanities are different, but no less present with their insistence of measured haircuts and the traditional constitution of "priesthood uniforms." Universities are adorned with all kinds of statues and banners glorifying men and sports icons with all the accompanying profiteering (Cougars, etc). The list goes on and on.
I think it is important to note Nephi’s perspective in “adorning” temples:

16 And I, Nephi, did build a temple; and I did construct it after the manner of the temple of Solomon save it were not built of so many precious things; for they were not to be found upon the land, wherefore, it could not be built like unto Solomon’s temple. But the manner of the construction was like unto the temple of Solomon; and the workmanship thereof was exceedingly fine.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

drtanner wrote: November 22nd, 2019, 9:23 am
marc wrote: November 22nd, 2019, 8:45 am On second thought, drtanner, it occurred to me that you are looking for examples of the specific idols. That being the case, based on the essay, which is very well supported by the scriptures are the manner in which we adorn our buildings, venerating anything and anyone other than our Savior Jesus Christ. Even our the thoughts of our hearts and the manner in which we adorn ourselves are idolatrous. Isaiah spent a substantial amount of time describing the way the daughters of Zion adorn themselves with all kinds of accessories and trinkets. Men's vanities are different, but no less present with their insistence of measured haircuts and the traditional constitution of "priesthood uniforms." Universities are adorned with all kinds of statues and banners glorifying men and sports icons with all the accompanying profiteering (Cougars, etc). The list goes on and on.

16 And I, Nephi, did build a temple; and I did construct it after the manner of the temple of Solomon save it were not built of so many precious things; for they were not to be found upon the land, wherefore, it could not be built like unto Solomon’s temple. But the manner of the construction was like unto the temple of Solomon; and the workmanship thereof was exceedingly fine.
I believe the Lord provided the details of construction, including the dimensions and its contents (cherubim, palm trees, etc) as recorded in scripture (1 Kings, etc), which were abundant in the old world and not found in the new world. I believe Nephi would have used every precious thing available since he attempted to build the temple as accurately according the same scriptures he had with him (brass plates).

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

marc wrote: November 22nd, 2019, 9:31 am
drtanner wrote: November 22nd, 2019, 9:23 am

I believe the Lord provided the details of construction, including the dimensions and its contents (cherubim, palm trees, etc) as recorded in scripture (1 Kings, etc), which were abundant in the old world and not found in the new world. I believe Nephi would have used every precious thing available since he attempted to build the temple as accurately according the same scriptures he had with him (brass plates).
Point being, adorning of temples is permissible. There are just as many assumptions that have to be made about what blueprint Nephi used to adorn the temple as to what direction modern leaders have received on adorning current temples. In either case you still have to make a conscious choice about what you will believe, each with their own consequences.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

New post. Wow, three entries in one month! Must be a record.

Diagram of the Doctrine of Christ

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Re: My blog (Updated 11/26/2019)

Post by marc »