US attacks Libya. Constitution followed? What does BoM say?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

US attacks Libya. Constitution followed? What does BoM say?

Post by BroJones »

So the US has today mounted an attack on Libya. On the eighth anniversary of the US attack on Iraq, enormously expensive, BTW.

Questions:

1. Did Congress approve of this attack on LIbya, per the Constitution?
The Founders were right to keep this power in Congress, not with one individual (the President).

2. The Book of Mormon warns repeatedly against attacking another nation in their own lands (Alma 48, Mormon 4, etc). Only DEFENSIVE war is justified, if I read correctly.
Alma 48:
14Now the Nephites were taught to defend themselves against their enemies, even to the shedding of blood if it were necessary; yea, and they were also taught never to give an offense,
3. Is this keeping the Sabbath day holy, to mount an attack on a another nation on Sunday?

4. Why did the US attack in LIbya (it is being billed as a "humanitarian" act, e.g. by Hillary Clinton) -- and not Yemen or Bahrain, where civil unrest is also strong?

5. How will this end?

Rincon
captain of 100

Re: US attacks Libya. Constitution followed? What does BoM

Post by Rincon »

Removed
Last edited by Rincon on April 1st, 2011, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GutterBeast
captain of 10

Post by GutterBeast »

I gave my 2¢ on the Warmongers thread but I will repeat it here because it ties in so well:
GutterBeast wrote:I always think about something Lucifer says about buying up armies.... You better believe that includes US forces, so much cash has been used for bribery - probably is causing indirect inflation. Not to mention Xe (Blackwater), Dyncorp, and Halliburton. The entire military industrial complex for that matter- which knows no borders really. I'd recommend watching this interview about the RAND corporation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_-px7qCQDk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; truly at the heart of the MIC.

Also very good analysis from AJ about the Libya intervention: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wn6S6G6cok" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its very sad that the average American doesn't even know enough to have an opinion, but still goes along with what is going on. The average brainwashed person is like "lets turn it into a glass parking lot". Dehumanization of the enemy is always part of the standard MO.

On another note It is interesting that Obama is using his illegal role in the UN to leverage the war against Libya - looks like the UN has replaced Congress. Another illegal war for very nefarious reasons.
As always it is great to hear your opinion Dr. Jones. I hope all is well with you and yours :)

pritchet1
captain of 1,000

Post by pritchet1 »

See my "thread" on "The New Rome?"

http://www.ldsfreedomforum.com/viewtopi ... 58#p185258" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Answers to Dr. Jones;

The communists in power are destroying our country brick by brick, soul by soul and are fulfilling latter-day prophecy regarding the US wasting its resources elsewhere and in weakening our defenses at home.
References: http://www.latterdayisraelite.com/unite ... phecy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Who will remove the sitting "puppet in power" in this country? Any Sheriff could.

John Locke
captain of 1,000

Post by John Locke »

Didn't we start bombing on Friday? Not sure the sabbath point is valid but the rest sure are.

haddomr
captain of 100

Post by haddomr »

Questions:

1. Did Congress approve of this attack on LIbya, per the Constitution?
The Founders were right to keep this power in Congress, not with one individual (the President).

2. The Book of Mormon warns repeatedly against attacking another nation in their own lands (Alma 48, Mormon 4, etc). Only DEFENSIVE war is justified, if I read correctly.

Alma 48:
14Now the Nephites were taught to defend themselves against their enemies, even to the shedding of blood if it were necessary; yea, and they were also taught never to give an offense,

3. Is this keeping the Sabbath day holy, to mount an attack on a another nation on Sunday?

4. Why did the US attack in LIbya (it is being billed as a "humanitarian" act, e.g. by Hillary Clinton) -- and not Yemen or Bahrain, where civil unrest is also strong?

5. How will this end?
Dr. Jones, you ask the right questions and your points are well-taken. As in Ether 8, the SCs are above us. Now what do we do? I need to find out why we attacked, the real motive. It is interesting that it wasn't the U.S., it was coalition forces...you know, those other guys (sarcasm).

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

The Constitution requires not an "approval" from Congress, but a declaration of war. In the event of an attack on the United States, the military is expected to fight back, but a declaration of war is required at some point. The last time Congress issued a declaration of war was 8 December 1941, one day after the Japanese attacked U.S. military bases on Hawaii and on the Philippine Islands. Congress has not issued a declaration of war since then. U.N. Resolutions have been given as the reason/excuse for the U.S. entering into subsequent wars.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

March 19th 2003 - GW Bush attacks Iraq
March 19th 2011 - Obama attacks Libya

Change we can believe in....

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

http://www.newamericancentury.org/state ... ciples.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.newamericancentury.org/Rebui ... fenses.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Note: the term 'Persian Gulf' is mentioned 24 times in the above document.

http://www.janes.com/articles/Janes-Sen ... Libya.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These dictators over in the middle east sure make it easy for the U.S. to accomplish its objectives and ulterior motives with respect to geo-politics. =))

PatientLady
Hi, I'm new.

Post by PatientLady »

If this country is so hell bent on going to war, why not go to war on another nation that has some chance of winning against us? China? Russia? Germany? Japan? I'm tired of seeing the cowards who lead us picking fights with pipsqueaks like Grenada, Panama, Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, etc. These nations could not be a military threat to us even if they wanted to be. What honor is there in going onto a school playground and clubbing the children with a baseball bat? Why don't we pick on someone our own size?

pritchet1
captain of 1,000

Post by pritchet1 »

Follow the drug and oil money (protecting US "Interests"). :-$

cayenne
captain of 100

Post by cayenne »

This very well might be the start of a spiraling war which will wind up here in the usa.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

cayenne wrote:This very well might be the start of a spiraling war which will wind up here in the usa.
....started with 9/11 and the "War on Terror"!

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Mummy wrote:March 19th 2003 - GW Bush attacks Iraq

Thanks for that little tidbit... have copied and pasted to my facebook page :D

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

SmallFarm wrote:
Mummy wrote:March 19th 2003 - GW Bush attacks Iraq

Thanks for that little tidbit... have copied and pasted to my facebook page :D
Me too, I loved that comment.

Mummy probably read Drudge yesterday:

MARCH 19, 2003
BUSH: 'American and coalition forces are in the early stages of military operations to disarm Iraq, to free its people and to defend the world from grave danger'...

MARCH 19, 2011
OBAMA: 'Today we are part of a broad coalition. We are answering the calls of a threatened people. And we are acting in the interests of the United States and the world'...

2wet2burn
captain of 100

Post by 2wet2burn »

John Locke wrote:Didn't we start bombing on Friday? Not sure the sabbath point is valid but the rest sure are.
Although we might hold our Sabbath observance on Sunday morning, others don't. Much of the middle east starts their sabbath observance on Friday at sundown and their "sunday" lasts until saturday at sundown. So I agree with Dr. Jones, was it wise to start a war on people that were starting to worship?

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Moslems hold their sabbath of Friday. Jews on Saturday.

Rincon
captain of 100

Post by Rincon »

Removed
Last edited by Rincon on April 1st, 2011, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Excellent quotes from President Spencer W. Kimball in the Ensign, June 1976. I totally support the Prophet!
And so it often seems to be with people, having such a firm grasp on things of the world—that which is telestial—that no amount of urging and no degree of emergency can persuade them to let go in favor of that which is celestial. Satan gets them in his grip easily. If we insist on spending all our time and resources building up for ourselves a worldly kingdom, that is exactly what we will inherit.

In spite of our delight in defining ourselves as modern, and our tendency to think we possess a sophistication that no people in the past ever had—in spite of these things, we are, on the whole, an idolatrous people—a condition most repugnant to the Lord.
We are a warlike people, easily distracted from our assignment of preparing for the coming of the Lord.
When enemies rise up, we commit vast resources to the fabrication of gods of stone and steel—ships, planes, missiles, fortifications—and depend on them for protection and deliverance. When threatened, we become antienemy instead of pro-kingdom of God; we train a man in the art of war and call him a patriot, thus, in the manner of Satan’s counterfeit of true patriotism, perverting the Savior’s teaching:

“Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
“That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven.” (Matt. 5:44–45.)
We forget that if we are righteous the Lord will either not suffer our enemies to come upon us—and this is the special promise to the inhabitants of the land of the Americas (see 2 Ne. 1:7)—or he will fight our battles for us (Ex. 14:14; D&C 98:37, to name only two references of many). This he is able to do, for as he said at the time of his betrayal, “Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels?” (Matt. 26:53.) We can imagine what fearsome soldiers they would be. King Jehoshaphat and his people were delivered by such a troop (see 2 Chr. 20), and when Elisha’s life was threatened, he comforted his servant by saying, “Fear not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them” (2 Kgs. 6:16). The Lord then opened the eyes of the servant, “And he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.” (2 Kgs. 6:17.)
Enoch, too, was a man of great faith who would not be distracted from his duties by the enemy: “And so great was the faith of Enoch, that he led the people of God, and their enemies came to battle against them; and he spake the word of the Lord, and the earth trembled, and the mountains fled, even according to his command; and the rivers of water were turned out of their course; and the roar of the lions was heard out of the wilderness; and all nations feared greatly, so powerful was the word of Enoch.” (Moses 7:13.)

What are we to fear when the Lord is with us? Can we not take the Lord at his word and exercise a particle of faith in him? Our assignment is affirmative: to forsake the things of the world as ends in themselves; to leave off idolatry and press forward in faith; to carry the gospel to our enemies, that they might no longer be our enemies.
We must leave off the worship of modern-day idols and a reliance on the “arm of flesh,” for the Lord has said to all the world in our day, “I will not spare any that remain in Babylon.” (D&C 64:24.)
This would certainly include taking the gospel to our Muslim brethren, where possible, as in Indonesia (where we currently have missionaries).

Cowboy
captain of 100

Post by Cowboy »

The best part of your question was... Why Libya?
Do you think maybe they will come to the conclusion that the best way to get back at the west is to launch a missile at.... of all places, Israel?
( that's Crazy talk I tell you, just Crazy talk! ha ha )

NoGreaterLove
captain of 1,000

Post by NoGreaterLove »

I believe we are fulfilling the prophecy of Daniel as contained in the 11th chapter. I would encourage everyone to pay attention to the end of this chapter and the final wars just before AOA which is described in chapter 12 verses 1 and 2.

p51-mustang
captain of 1,000

Post by p51-mustang »

Do you think this prophecy has any reference to what is happening? Sec 87

4And it shall come to pass, after many days, slaves shall rise up against their masters, who shall be marshaled and disciplined for war.

5And it shall come to pass also that the remnants who are left of the land will marshal themselves, and shall become exceedingly angry, and shall vex the Gentiles with a sore vexation.

iamse7en
captain of 1,000

Post by iamse7en »

Mitt Romney sticking to his neoCON line.

Praises Obama's attacks on Libya, but somehow tows the partisan line of criticizing Obama. No mention of constitutional authority for such attacks. Perhaps he already gathered with his attorneys about whether he supports these attacks.

NoGreaterLove
captain of 1,000

Post by NoGreaterLove »

p51-mustang wrote:Do you think this prophecy has any reference to what is happening? Sec 87

4And it shall come to pass, after many days, slaves shall rise up against their masters, who shall be marshaled and disciplined for war.

5And it shall come to pass also that the remnants who are left of the land will marshal themselves, and shall become exceedingly angry, and shall vex the Gentiles with a sore vexation.
Wow that is a good point. It very well could fit. The appearance is that those revolting consider themselves slaves to their leaders and are revolting. The tide of change seems to be to become more Islamic and anti-American. So this change could very well be the beginning of the vexation of the Gentiles. I tend to believe you are right.

NoGreaterLove
captain of 1,000

Post by NoGreaterLove »

p51-mustang wrote:Do you think this prophecy has any reference to what is happening? Sec 87

It appears that the slaves first go against their masters, then those that are left after this war, go against the Gentiles. So the Gentile nations are in a sense self destructing by helping the slaves. Sounds about par for the course.