Homestead Heritage & Intentional Communities

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
mudflap
captain of 1,000

Re: Homestead Heritage & Intentional Communities

Post by mudflap »

Fred wrote: August 11th, 2022, 10:43 am I started visiting https://ic.org in the early 90's. A friend of mine was a software developer and was paranoid that people were out to get him and he figured it was a good place to hide. He was a high dollar programmer and would take a 4 week job with IBM or something that paid enough to live a year on and then do it a few times a year and he always had money and only had to work every once in a while.

The thing about intentional communities that most do not get is land ownership. You will own nothing and be happy. You have to pay the association, though. If you don't own, you can be kicked out.

Some will let you own like a share or limited partnership. Course there still has to be a way for them to get rid of what they may later consider a bad apple.

Then you have the groups of poor people that find strength in numbers.

Outside of a true Zion, the best chance of success seems to come from people that purchase land in areas with like minded people and there are no bosses, or profiteering. The people that get along become friends and help each other.
Too true. And good friends are hard to find.

I still like President Hunter's talk from years ago where he mentioned
the meek shall inherit the earth, a pretty impressive corporate takeover
good stuff right there. I think I stumbled onto ic.org quite a few years ago - looks like it has grown a bit and become more sophisticated.

I guess my problem is: on almost any project, I don't think anyone will do as good a job as I will, mostly because they don't care enough about it when it's "not their project". I didn't even let anyone help me with chinking the cabin - normally something you let everyone do, just to get it done. plus, this might sound rude, but there aren't a lot of capable people out there.

we see it in commercials on TV: men are imbecilic children who grunt and make money - definitely not portrayed as capable - I just saw a commercial a few minutes ago on my lunch break while checking the weather - some lady complaining about nagging her husband for years to remodel the bathroom, and then they hired 3-day kitchen and bath and got it done in 1 day - then the camera focuses on her husband and he says, "and we got it done for a price we could afford!" - he doesn't even acknowledge that his wife just shredded him for being a lazy bum for years, and now he's proud he could afford someone else to fix the bathroom? She just put you down, man, and you're happy about the price?!?! sheesh.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

mudflap wrote: August 11th, 2022, 11:59 am
Fred wrote: August 11th, 2022, 10:43 am I started visiting https://ic.org in the early 90's. A friend of mine was a software developer and was paranoid that people were out to get him and he figured it was a good place to hide. He was a high dollar programmer and would take a 4 week job with IBM or something that paid enough to live a year on and then do it a few times a year and he always had money and only had to work every once in a while.

The thing about intentional communities that most do not get is land ownership. You will own nothing and be happy. You have to pay the association, though. If you don't own, you can be kicked out.

Some will let you own like a share or limited partnership. Course there still has to be a way for them to get rid of what they may later consider a bad apple.

Outside of a true Zion, the best chance of success seems to come from people that purchase land in areas with like minded people and there are no bosses, or profiteering. The people that get along become friends and help each other.

good stuff right there. I think I stumbled onto ic.org quite a few years ago - looks like it has grown a bit and become more sophisticated.

I guess my problem is: on almost any project, I don't think anyone will do as good a job as I will, mostly because they don't care enough about it when it's "not their project". I didn't even let anyone help me with chinking the cabin - normally something you let everyone do, just to get it done. plus, this might sound rude, but there aren't a lot of capable people out there.

we see it in commercials on TV: men are imbecilic children who grunt and make money - definitely not portrayed as capable - I just saw a commercial a few minutes ago on my lunch break while checking the weather - some lady complaining about nagging her husband for years to remodel the bathroom, and then they hired 3-day kitchen and bath and got it done in 1 day - then the camera focuses on her husband and he says, "and we got it done for a price we could afford!" - he doesn't even acknowledge that his wife just shredded him for being a lazy bum for years, and now he's proud he could afford someone else to fix the bathroom? She just put you down, man, and you're happy about the price?!?! sheesh.
When people do not just buy their own land, one has to ask why not? And they want to share my stuff?

Ever hear of the Rainbow people? They have a big camp out every year in a different forest. Hippies, mostly. Some naked, some only half naked. Camp for a month. Share everything. Even each other. It's worth a day or two to check it out if you never have. They was in Colorado this year. They have a website where they announce where they are going to be. Free love and no poor among them. I went to one a few years back near Springerville, AZ. A dozen or so would go to the market and pee in the meat cooler. The store threw everything in the dumpster. Then another dozen that did not get arrested raided the dumpster and ate steaks. The jails get full and no one will bail them out so the county just lets them go as opposed to feeding them. Don't have nothin', don't want nothin'. Drones.

That is what one finds when offering to share. Drones.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Fred wrote: August 11th, 2022, 12:30 pm
mudflap wrote: August 11th, 2022, 11:59 am

When people do not just buy their own land, one has to ask why not? And they want to share my stuff?

Ever hear of the Rainbow people? They have a big camp out every year in a different forest. Hippies, mostly. Some naked, some only half naked. Camp for a month. Share everything. Even each other. It's worth a day or two to check it out if you never have. They was in Colorado this year. They have a website where they announce where they are going to be. Free love and no poor among them. I went to one a few years back near Springerville, AZ. A dozen or so would go to the market and pee in the meat cooler. The store threw everything in the dumpster. Then another dozen that did not get arrested raided the dumpster and ate steaks. The jails get full and no one will bail them out so the county just lets them go as opposed to feeding them. Don't have nothin', don't want nothin'. Drones.

That is what one finds when offering to share. Drones.
or animals.

this is the kind of stuff everyone thinks of when they think of communes - and for good reason. No one wants Bernie Sanders (who was and is actually a lazy hippy who really did get thrown out of a commune) to come join their commune.

We (wife and I) met a girl at a park one time while our daughter was playing. She found out we were building a cabin and got all excited - not to help - but to ask if she could set up a tent on the corner of our property. We were like, "ummmm..... no" (but without the "ummmm"). First that camel gets its nose under the side of the tent, then progressively more and more of itself in there, until finally, YOU get pushed out of the tent.

The idea that you don't have to work for something or that there is an easy solution out there or that someone else will take care of you isn't a part of a true Zion society.

Even when we read that every man will sit under his own vine in the OT, we need to remember that it really means "the vine that HE planted, fertilized, mulched, watered, weeded, pruned, and prayed for". There will always be work, it will just eventually be un-taxed.

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Post by FoundMyEden »

This has been my understanding as well.

JuneBug12000
captain of 1,000

Post by JuneBug12000 »

harakim wrote: August 10th, 2022, 10:57 pm
BigT wrote: June 30th, 2022, 8:11 am
mudflap wrote: June 30th, 2022, 7:34 am
1. I get nervous when google/facebook is involved in asking about what's going on inside my house.
Smart. I listened to a Kate Dalley podcast (with an LDS guest) where they asked the question about what the church would do if, during a nationwide food shortage, the government said, “we want your people to turn over their food storage so we can redistribute it.” I think they’d throw us under the bus.
I actually quit on food storage and took up food procurement because of this. I had livestock and a garden and land and everything and went all in on wildnerness survival. The more I get into it, the more I think it's strange that prepper experts are always down on this strategy.
Yes.

I don't believe can store our way out of the future. We have to learn to produce what we need.

Also, it seem very contradictory to what the Savior taught in the New Testament.

So I am working with the Spirit. We are eating up our food storage (of course my husband was laid off a month and a half ago, but we had already started doing so.) Sometimes I get a bit nervous with supply issues and inflation, but the Holy Spirit is clear, we are to eat it up and trust Him.

I am not recommending anyone else do this, listen to what the Spirit tells you, but that is what He is telling us.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

I've sold my house and moved to an intentional community before. It's a good idea but most of the people are 1. freeloaders, or 2. cult leader hopefuls. You are right that you need something to fall back on because otherwise you'll be left to the tyranny of the majority. Unless I was really comfortable with the rest of the group, I don't think I'd do it again without guarantee of something if it goes to crap.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

harakim wrote: August 15th, 2022, 8:29 pm

I've sold my house and moved to an intentional community before. It's a good idea but most of the people are 1. freeloaders, or 2. cult leader hopefuls. You are right that you need something to fall back on because otherwise you'll be left to the tyranny of the majority. Unless I was really comfortable with the rest of the group, I don't think I'd do it again without guarantee of something if it goes to crap.
Just as I suspected! :) bunch of freeloaders.

I think this is the same no matter the organization - whether it's a college class, a ward, a business office, extended family, neighborhood - there's always a few really hard workers who get taken advantage of by freeloaders and connivers, some ladder-climbers / butt kissers. It is really, really hard for a maker to "build community" while surrounded by takers. It's why I figure I'll forever remain an independent rebel outside the mainstream. As I've said before, there's like one guy in my current ward I'd trust to be my neighbor in a community like this. 1 guy. out of like 200 families. 1 guy I can count on if I'm in a pickle to drop everything and come get me. He called me the other day, broke down on his motorcycle when the clutch cable came loose and no tools. He knows I'll drop everything because he's the same way. I'm the only one who can borrow his tools - not even his kids can. Anyway, it's a rare, rare thing to find.

I had 2 friends like that, but the other one died of cancer a good while ago. we were going to take this log building class together, buy some property together, and build two cabins on it. Anyway, I miss him. good guy. and smart. I feel like he's there sometimes when I'm working on this house, calling me "wild man" like he used to. good times.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

mudflap wrote: August 15th, 2022, 8:47 pm

I think this is the same no matter the organization - whether it's a college class, a ward, a business office, extended family, neighborhood - there's always a few really hard workers who get taken advantage of by freeloaders and connivers, some ladder-climbers / butt kissers. It is really, really hard for a maker to "build community" while surrounded by takers. It's why I figure I'll forever remain an independent rebel outside the mainstream. As I've said before, there's like one guy in my current ward I'd trust to be my neighbor in a community like this. 1 guy. out of like 200 families. 1 guy I can count on if I'm in a pickle to drop everything and come get me. He called me the other day, broke down on his motorcycle when the clutch cable came loose and no tools. He knows I'll drop everything because he's the same way. I'm the only one who can borrow his tools - not even his kids can. Anyway, it's a rare, rare thing to find.

I had 2 friends like that, but the other one died of cancer a good while ago. we were going to take this log building class together, buy some property together, and build two cabins on it. Anyway, I miss him. good guy. and smart. I feel like he's there sometimes when I'm working on this house, calling me "wild man" like he used to. good times.
Oh, I know about wild man 8-)
I think community is the only way to go, but it is elusive. I expect people will learn to expect less from others and to put aside their own interests and work toward an acceptable common vision - thought it will probably take a crisis for that to happen. Until then, I just prepare myself, wait for opportunities and go on with life... always waiting.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Like you have said a few times, no one will work as hard as you. Truth is, that's why you have it and they don't. For someone to expect a share of what you have now would take six figures. Thing is, anyone can do it. It's a lot of work and most people won't.

People come where I am and the first time it snows 2 feet in one night, they are done. It only happens once every 5 years or so, but when it does the new people go back to where people get paid to clear the roads.

People get used to power at the flip of a switch, running water that always works, and varmints don't eat their cats or small dogs.

The lazy don't stay long.

JuneBug12000
captain of 1,000

Post by JuneBug12000 »

Fred wrote: August 15th, 2022, 9:05 pm

Like you have said a few times, no one will work as hard as you. Truth is, that's why you have it and they don't. For someone to expect a share of what you have now would take six figures. Thing is, anyone can do it. It's a lot of work and most people won't.

People come where I am and the first time it snows 2 feet in one night, they are done. It only happens once every 5 years or so, but when it does the new people go back to where people get paid to clear the roads.

People get used to power at the flip of a switch, running water that always works, and varmints don't eat their cats or small dogs.

That is what we found when we moved to the country.

Nice people, but even the farmers are going to be starving when the tractors stop running, the fertilizer isn't available and their seed order doesn't show up.

No one that I know out here sustainable farms: I mean the real deal like our ancestors. Animals and plants sharing the same fields in turn to keep them healthy and be able to grow as much as possible.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

JuneBug12000 wrote: August 15th, 2022, 10:54 pm
Fred wrote: August 15th, 2022, 9:05 pm

That is what we found when we moved to the country.

Nice people, but even the farmers are going to be starving when the tractors stop running, the fertilizer isn't available and their seed order doesn't show up.

No one that I know out here sustainable farms: I mean the real deal like our ancestors. Animals and plants sharing the same fields in turn to keep them healthy and be able to grow as much as possible.
yes.

I'll even take it a step further - even if the local farmers "own" their land (own = bank owned, deeply in debt), BigAg tells them what to plant, Monsanto "sells" them the seeds, John Deere are the only ones allowed to work on the tractors. So most farms these days are just a place for the Globalist BigAg to grow their product - the farmer has little input.

Now, if you want to talk small acreage independent farms - these are growing somewhat, but not fast enough. In my state (and the trend is happening around the country), the "old farmers" (the ones who actually own their land, negotiate what to grow every year, and have more say over it because they are not as deeply in debt) are retiring faster than they can be replaced. Their greedy families are selling the land instead of inheriting it. But there is a glut of farmland for sale due to all this. If I were a smart person in my 20's, I would find a way to band with other like-minded folks and do what that OSR place out by Simpson Springs that Will1 is talking about - a farming community.

And with "work from home" opportunities that don't seem to be going away, and satellite internet finally becoming accessible, you can almost live anywhere these days. If I lived in Utah or Davis or Weber county and had that awful commute to the evil SLC everyday, I would DEFINITELY be doing everything I could at this point to leave that rat race. This kind of "perfect storm" of opportunity - work from home, internet availability, farmers retiring - doesn't come along every day.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

These people seem to get along. It's not clear if anyone is in charge. They have a "list" of acceptable people. I don't think anyone owns their land, but I'm not sure. Didn't see any kids.

FreedomWorks
captain of 50

Benefits of Living in an Off-Grid Intentional Farming Community

Post by FreedomWorks »

ECONOMIC BENEFITS

1. No More Utility Bills
One of the best things about living in an off-grid community is that you no longer have to worry about paying for utilities. That means no more electricity bills, no more water bills, and no more gas bills. Instead, you can enjoy the freedom of living completely off the grid and relying on your own resources.

2. You Can Be More Self-Sufficient
Another great thing about living in an off-grid community is that you can be more self-sufficient. If you grow your own food and generate your own power, you'll be less reliant on outside sources, which can be helpful in times of crisis or emergency. Additionally, being self-sufficient can help you to save money on your monthly expenses.

3. Lower Cost of Living
One of the primary economic benefits of living in an off-grid community is that it can help to lower your cost of living. This is because off-grid communities are often located in rural areas, where the cost of land and housing is typically lower than in urban areas. Additionally, off-grid communities often rely on alternative sources of energy, such as solar power, which can help to reduce your energy costs.

4. Create Your Own Job
Another economic benefit of living in an off-grid community is that it can give you the opportunity to create your own job. This is because off-grid communities often need individuals with a variety of skills, such as carpentry, plumbing, and electrical work. Additionally, many off-grid communities also need individuals who are able to grow food and care for animals. And now, with Starlink, you can work online as well.

5. Save Money on Taxes
Another economic benefit of living in an off-grid community is that you may be able to save money on taxes. This is because many off-grid communities are located in rural areas, where property taxes are typically lower than in urban areas. Additionally, many off-grid communities do not have sales taxes, which can help you to save money on purchases

HEALTH BENEFITS

1. Fewer Pesticides
One of the primary benefits of living in an off-grid community is that you are exposed to fewer pesticides. Pesticides are chemicals that are used to kill insects or other organisms that may harm crops. While pesticides can help to increase crop yields, they can also be harmful to human health. Numerous studies have linked exposure to pesticides to a variety of health problems, including cancer, reproductive issues, and neurological problems.

2. More Nutritious Food
Off-grid communities have also been shown to enjoy more nutritious food than traditional communities. A study published in the British Journal of Nutrition found that off-grid fruits and vegetables contain higher levels of vitamins and minerals than their big-city counterparts. The study also found that off-grid foods contain higher levels of antioxidants, which are beneficial compounds that can help to protect the body against disease.

3. No Genetically Modified Organisms
Another benefit of living in an off-grid community is that you are likely not exposed to genetically modified organisms (GMOs). GMOs are plants or animals that have been created through genetic engineering, a process in which genes from one organism are inserted into another organism in order to create a new variety with desired traits. Some people believe that consuming GMOs may be harmful to human health, though there is currently no long-term data on the safety of consuming them.

BENEFITS TO NATURE

3. You Can Connect with Nature
One of the best things about living in an off-grid community is that you can connect with nature. If you live in a city, it's easy to forget about the natural world around you. But when you live in an off-grid community, you're surrounded by nature, which can help you to feel more connected to the world around you. Additionally, spending time in nature has been shown to have numerous benefits for mental and physical health.

2. Better for the Environment
Off-grid farming practices are also better for the environment than traditional farming practices. Off-grid farmers use methods such as crop rotation and cover crops to improve soil health, which helps to reduce water pollution and soil erosion. Additionally, off-grid farmers often use less energy than conventional farmers as they do not rely on synthetic fertilizers or pesticides, which require a great deal of energy to produce.

3. Animals Are Treated Better
Off-grid farmers treat their animals better than those raised on conventional farms. For example, off-grid chickens usually have access to the outdoors, while those raised on conventional farms typically do not. Off-grid cows are typically fed a diet that is free from growth hormones and antibiotics.

PERSONAL PEACE

1. Fewer distractions
Another benefit of living in an off-grid community is that there are fewer distractions. When you're not constantly bombarded with advertising and media messages, you have more time and energy to focus on what's important to you. You can also appreciate the simple things in life that are often taken for granted, such as spending time with family and friends or pursuing your hobbies and interests.

2. Greater sense of community
Finally, living in an off-grid community can help you develop a greater sense of community. When everyone is working together to maintain the community, it creates a strong bond between members. This sense of community can help you feel connected to others and motivated to work together for the common good

3. You Can Unplug from the World
One of the best things about living in an off-grid community is that you can unplug from the world. If you're tired of being constantly connected to your phone, the internet, and social media, then living off-grid can help you to disconnect and relax. You'll be able to spend more time enjoying nature, interacting with your neighbors, and simply being present in the moment.

4. You Can Meet New People
Another great thing about living in an off-grid community is that you can meet new people. When you live in a traditional neighborhood, it's easy to stick to your same group of friends and never meet anyone new. But when you live in an off-grid community, you'll be forced to interact with your neighbors on a daily basis, which can help you to make new friends and expand your social circle.

5. You Can Escape the Rat Race
If you're tired of the rat race, then living in an off-grid community can help you to escape it. In an off-grid community, there's no need to work long hours just to keep up with the Joneses. Instead, people are more focused on living a simple life, enjoying nature, and being self-sufficient. This lifestyle can help you to reduce stress, find inner peace, and enjoy a slower pace of life

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Re: Benefits of Living in an Off-Grid Intentional Farming Community

Post by FoundMyEden »

FreedomWorks wrote: October 6th, 2022, 1:12 pm ECONOMIC BENEFITS

1. No More Utility Bills
One of the best things about living in an off-grid community is that you no longer have to worry about paying for utilities. That means no more electricity bills, no more water bills, and no more gas bills. Instead, you can enjoy the freedom of living completely off the grid and relying on your own resources.

2. You Can Be More Self-Sufficient
Another great thing about living in an off-grid community is that you can be more self-sufficient. If you grow your own food and generate your own power, you'll be less reliant on outside sources, which can be helpful in times of crisis or emergency. Additionally, being self-sufficient can help you to save money on your monthly expenses.

3. Lower Cost of Living
One of the primary economic benefits of living in an off-grid community is that it can help to lower your cost of living. This is because off-grid communities are often located in rural areas, where the cost of land and housing is typically lower than in urban areas. Additionally, off-grid communities often rely on alternative sources of energy, such as solar power, which can help to reduce your energy costs.

4. Create Your Own Job
Another economic benefit of living in an off-grid community is that it can give you the opportunity to create your own job. This is because off-grid communities often need individuals with a variety of skills, such as carpentry, plumbing, and electrical work. Additionally, many off-grid communities also need individuals who are able to grow food and care for animals. And now, with Starlink, you can work online as well.

5. Save Money on Taxes
Another economic benefit of living in an off-grid community is that you may be able to save money on taxes. This is because many off-grid communities are located in rural areas, where property taxes are typically lower than in urban areas. Additionally, many off-grid communities do not have sales taxes, which can help you to save money on purchases

HEALTH BENEFITS

1. Fewer Pesticides
One of the primary benefits of living in an off-grid community is that you are exposed to fewer pesticides. Pesticides are chemicals that are used to kill insects or other organisms that may harm crops. While pesticides can help to increase crop yields, they can also be harmful to human health. Numerous studies have linked exposure to pesticides to a variety of health problems, including cancer, reproductive issues, and neurological problems.

2. More Nutritious Food
Off-grid communities have also been shown to enjoy more nutritious food than traditional communities. A study published in the British Journal of Nutrition found that off-grid fruits and vegetables contain higher levels of vitamins and minerals than their big-city counterparts. The study also found that off-grid foods contain higher levels of antioxidants, which are beneficial compounds that can help to protect the body against disease.

3. No Genetically Modified Organisms
Another benefit of living in an off-grid community is that you are likely not exposed to genetically modified organisms (GMOs). GMOs are plants or animals that have been created through genetic engineering, a process in which genes from one organism are inserted into another organism in order to create a new variety with desired traits. Some people believe that consuming GMOs may be harmful to human health, though there is currently no long-term data on the safety of consuming them.

BENEFITS TO NATURE

3. You Can Connect with Nature
One of the best things about living in an off-grid community is that you can connect with nature. If you live in a city, it's easy to forget about the natural world around you. But when you live in an off-grid community, you're surrounded by nature, which can help you to feel more connected to the world around you. Additionally, spending time in nature has been shown to have numerous benefits for mental and physical health.

2. Better for the Environment
Off-grid farming practices are also better for the environment than traditional farming practices. Off-grid farmers use methods such as crop rotation and cover crops to improve soil health, which helps to reduce water pollution and soil erosion. Additionally, off-grid farmers often use less energy than conventional farmers as they do not rely on synthetic fertilizers or pesticides, which require a great deal of energy to produce.

3. Animals Are Treated Better
Off-grid farmers treat their animals better than those raised on conventional farms. For example, off-grid chickens usually have access to the outdoors, while those raised on conventional farms typically do not. Off-grid cows are typically fed a diet that is free from growth hormones and antibiotics.

PERSONAL PEACE

1. Fewer distractions
Another benefit of living in an off-grid community is that there are fewer distractions. When you're not constantly bombarded with advertising and media messages, you have more time and energy to focus on what's important to you. You can also appreciate the simple things in life that are often taken for granted, such as spending time with family and friends or pursuing your hobbies and interests.

2. Greater sense of community
Finally, living in an off-grid community can help you develop a greater sense of community. When everyone is working together to maintain the community, it creates a strong bond between members. This sense of community can help you feel connected to others and motivated to work together for the common good

3. You Can Unplug from the World
One of the best things about living in an off-grid community is that you can unplug from the world. If you're tired of being constantly connected to your phone, the internet, and social media, then living off-grid can help you to disconnect and relax. You'll be able to spend more time enjoying nature, interacting with your neighbors, and simply being present in the moment.

4. You Can Meet New People
Another great thing about living in an off-grid community is that you can meet new people. When you live in a traditional neighborhood, it's easy to stick to your same group of friends and never meet anyone new. But when you live in an off-grid community, you'll be forced to interact with your neighbors on a daily basis, which can help you to make new friends and expand your social circle.

5. You Can Escape the Rat Race
If you're tired of the rat race, then living in an off-grid community can help you to escape it. In an off-grid community, there's no need to work long hours just to keep up with the Joneses. Instead, people are more focused on living a simple life, enjoying nature, and being self-sufficient. This lifestyle can help you to reduce stress, find inner peace, and enjoy a slower pace of life
Is this your personal experience?

FreedomWorks
captain of 50

Post by FreedomWorks »

Much of it. Most was a compilation of what others have said online.

FreedomWorks
captain of 50

Post by FreedomWorks »

JuneBug12000 wrote: April 27th, 2022, 1:05 pm
tmac wrote: April 27th, 2022, 10:13 am
I've learned some interesting things in this process.

The first is that there are very, very few mainstream Mormons (TBMs?) with a productive and reproductive orientation anymore, and almost none that have any interest in production agriculture and/or an agrarian lifestyle. Of the younger generations, interest in that stuff can virtually not be found on the radar screens of Mormon millenials, etc.

I had already connected the dots on all that, so I thought that there might be more fertile ground in that regard reaching out to fundamentalists, with whom I have more exposure and background than most. And I've learned some very interesting things there as well, including the fact that Warren Jeffs issued an edict 10-12 years ago that faithful members of the FLDS Church were supposed to abstain from any and all sexual activity, and completely abstain from procreation and having children. Consequently, at least that branch of fundamentalists are completely unreproductive at this point.

In this process, I have run across whole families of faithful adult FLDS siblings in the 20-35 age range, who are all celibate and live and work together in an intentional agrarian community that is essentially like a celibate monastery. It is very interesting, and very disheartening.

The world is really screwed up right now -- on almost every front.
Yup.

I use to encourage people to have kids, but they just get offended when I quote the scriptures, prophets and Proclamation.

So finally I just started telling them: "You don't have to have kids, but this is what is coming because no one is." It isn't a pretty picture.

Those who do have children, and all they they are suppose to, will find spiritual and temporal salvation in their choice. Those who don't, well, we all have to die sometimes, I suppose.

As for the agrarian lifestyle, I couldn't agree more. God gave Adam and Eve three commandments He never revoked: multiply and replenish, till the earth, tend the animals. People don't seem to understand that these are foundational lessons we are to learn in mortality and they may be surprised to find these matter at the "final exam."

I know this seems a frustrating process, but I do believe if are patient and have faith, the right people will slowly find their way to you. Don't give up tmac! :)
My approach to encourage reproduction is a little different. I say with a big smile to those young couples I see who have kids, "On behalf of the Society for the Preservation of Western Civilization, I'd like to thank you for having children". Usually get a smile in return.

Speaking of "multiply and replenish, till the earth, tend the animals", of the 37 full-time residents (so far) at Riverbed Ranch off-grid community, there are at least 50 kids, lots of earth-tilling, and animal tending going on! :)

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

There is such huge potential but so many pitfalls. Such as freeloaders. But beyond that, there are people that are hard workers that are really rough on machinery (this was me when I was younger) I broke so many shovel handles because I would be removing rocks from the farm and I felt if I could get the edge of the shovel under a rock, I should be able to pry that rock up! Finally, dad bought me a steel handled shovel that I still have, haha.

But there are people that can keep ancient equipment working with duct tape and bailing wire. There are other people that are knowledgeable but want things "fixed right" and may put more money in that the bailing wire guy might feel is wasting money. The latter guy doesn't like bailing wire guy's "cheap fixes" - I am talking a situation where a community shares equipment (which I think is really smart if you had a bunch of independently owned 10 acre farms that shares a tractor, harvester, etc.

It's just like how I kind of bumped heads with TheDuke yesterday. I am very grateful that while we disagreed we both stayed civil. But I am betting that he somewhat despises my thoughts - I don't feel that way about him, because I felt the same way as he does for many years. But I also know that back in those days I would have thought of someone like I am now as an unpatriotic peace-nik with no comprehension of the real costs (both dollars and lives) of maintaining freedom. Bottom line is we all came into this world, got programmed to a large extent by our parents, our church, other environmental factors and with agency but we end up down lots of different rabbit holes. It is the most natural thing and most do is to follow information that confirms what we already believe and to dislike or ignore information that upsets our own apple cart of ideas. And that all is very hard to deal with in any type of full-on communes. I think best is individually owned property but developing a co-op with simple clear expectations spelled out and enforced. Even then - what the rules should be and how strictly enforced is going to be so difficult to find common ground.

FreedomWorks
captain of 50

Post by FreedomWorks »

Here's our latest update video on Riverbed Ranch, Utah, for those who might be interested in our off-grid intentional community:

Light Seeker
captain of 100

Post by Light Seeker »

We enjoyed our visit to Homestead Heritage.

An example of what the Mormons were supposed to be before we embraced Babylon .