Letter from First Pres'y read in Sacrament Meeting today

For discussion of secret combinations (political, economic, spiritual, religious, etc.) (Ether 8:18-25.)
kathyn
captain of 1,000

Letter from First Pres'y read in Sacrament Meeting today

Post by kathyn »

In our sacrament meeting, the bishop read a letter from the First Presidency which cautioned us about self-help books, seminars and groups. There was quite a list of activities to beware of. As Bella can attest, this New Age stuff is becoming ever more prevalent and we LDS are not immune, either.

I remember attending one of Bella's talks, and during her presentation she was discussing certain New Age books and philosophies. A person in the audience got very defensive about "energy healing". She could not understand that it was circumventing the priesthood authority and was instead using a different source of power. It was then that I could see how seductive these philosophies have become. And people like Oprah Winfrey have done much to bring it into the mainstream. Many years ago, I lost a dear friend to "est", which was one of the earlier types of the New Age religion. She didn't recognize that it was a religion, so when she drifted away from the Church, she didn't really understand what had happened to her faith. Now this same friend prays to Buddha, Heavenly Father or whichever diety she happens to like at the time.

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Re: Letter from First Pres'y read in Sacrament Meeting today

Post by kathyn »

No specific books or groups were mentioned.

fps.sledge
captain of 100

Post by fps.sledge »

I don't doubt that there is legitimate concern with what the first presidency has counciled against. However, I do wonder about the relationship between something that will steer us away from the gospel and anything that is virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy.

I did have the chance to teach and baptize a couple who were both doctors. One specialized in chinese medicine and other alternative medicines and forms of healing. One of which was Reiki (spelling?) which involves techniques similar to the laying on of hands. It's the healing power of mind over matter. Or transferring ones confidence to another body, or something like that.

The convert did experience a priesthood blessing apart from the baptism and confirmation. He has a testimony of the priesthood and recognizes it as something separate from Reiki. I do wonder if Reiki is a complete sham or if there is something praiseworthy with it. The concept of "mind over matter" or "Placebo" might be the primary influence.

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

Reiki is definitely tied in with the New Age and energy healing.

MercynGrace
captain of 100

Post by MercynGrace »

KathyN,
Is this a new letter? I vaguely remember there being a letter some years ago about self-help groups. Just wondering if we should all expect to hear this or if the Stake Pres. in your area has noticed a problem and is addressing the issue by having an older letter reread.

Did you catch any other specifics?
MnG

PS I relayed the info on another board asking if anyone else heard this letter read just trying to get more details. I hope you don't mind. I have a friend who has gotten involved in with energy healing so this is hitting close to home.

edit: Was it this letter?
http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/4 ... roups.html

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

edit: Was it this letter?
MercynGrace, it contained a lot of the same wording but it was longer. I just know our bishop read it from the pulpit and said it was from the First Pres'y and that he had been asked to read it. Perhaps it was recommended by our stake pres.

Gideon
captain of 100

Post by Gideon »

I did some research on Reiki, restricting myself to Reiki practitioners and the sites they promoted. I don't have all my information in front of me now, but here is what I remember:
1) Reiki is an ancient healing art that was lost for thousands of years
2) A man in Japan received some revelations, which involved bubbles, and brought it back
3) Reiki is not a religion, and doesn't have anything to do with religion
4) Reiki uses energy from a spiritual realm
5) Practitioners have spirit guides from this spiritual realm
6) After going through a certain amount of training, you need to receive an "attunement" which opens the "chakras" in your hands. This allows you to transfer energy from the spiritual realm, under the guidance of spirit guides, to heal people.
7) Attunements last a lifetime
8 Students are supposed to pay for their attunement (some used to charge $10k)
9) Nowadays, you can get an attunement over the phone
10) Reiki has four special symbols that enable one to heal from a distance (no details on these, although there was a picture)

I monitored an LDS-Reiki group on Yahoo for a little to learn what the saints think of it. One person posted something like this: When I was giving a blessing, I felt Reiki energy going through me.

We have someone in our stake who practices it. Apparently, with support from local leaders.

My conclusions about Reiki:
1) It has nothing to do with religion, therefore, God and Christ are not involved in the healing
2) Faith in Christ is not required
3) Righteous living is not required
4) Some saints think that they can change what they are practicing by denying their involvement with spirit guides, and that they can somehow handle the powers of Heaven on something other than the principles of righteousness.
5) It is an alternative priesthood

Another thing to watch out for is Matrix Energetics, which is another form of energy healing. One of the techniques is called "two pointing", where you place your hands on two different spots and cause something to happen between them. I know of a priesthood leader who used this on a member once. Seems highly inappropriate.

Legacy
captain of 10

Post by Legacy »

My take about new age is that it can be a distraction. Instead of relying on the power and strength from the Spirit, you're relying on a bunch of rocks to fend off negative energy. Instead of praying and pondering in quiet revere, you sit in a chair with a copper contraption floating above your head. I am not saying it all bad, but some stuff is way out there in the deep end. Some self-help books I feel has help me grow spiritually. Some of it I felt painted a picture I did not like. Feng Shui is something I am on the fence. I don't believe for instance about how certain colors will bring money into your life or leaving a toilet seat up causes all the good luck to flow out of your home. I do however, enjoy the comforting feeling that a nice arranged room bring.

loveoneanother
captain of 50

Post by loveoneanother »

I think this goes along with those that "give it to the Universe" or throw it out to the Universe as if the "universe" could grant your every wish! When I had friends say those things to me, I felt to tell them, it is NOT the universe that gives me ANYTHING, it is my Father in Heaven!!!

Songbird
captain of 1,000

Post by Songbird »

[quote="The convert did experience a priesthood blessing apart from the baptism and confirmation. He has a testimony of the priesthood and recognizes it as something separate from Reiki. I do wonder if Reiki is a complete sham or if there is something praiseworthy with it. The concept of "mind over matter" or "Placebo" might be the primary influence.[/quote]
you sit in a chair with a copper contraption floating above your head. I am not saying it all bad, but some stuff is way out there in the deep end.
<< If you think that sitting with a copper wire above your head is part of Reiki, it isn't...

I will give the short version of my experience with Reiki. First, I have intimate ties with it, since my husband is a Karuna Reiki master. (he is not a member of the Church). I admit to some struggle with the idea of Reiki through the years and have come to the decision that it is not for me. My reason, (my opinion is), is that it is a mockery of the Holy Priesthood. I came to this decision after many years of prayer and deep contemplation about the issue. I believe that his (DH) belief in Reiki is one of the things that has kept him from being able to see the light of the Gospel. However, he is a good man and he does not practice Reiki for money. It is personal for him.

NoGreaterLove
captain of 1,000

Post by NoGreaterLove »

My reason, (my opinion is), is that it is a mockery of the Holy Priesthood
Amen! There are but two churches only, the Church of the Lamb and the church of satan. Both claim priesthood powers. If it is not of Christ and his Priesthood, then it is of the devil and his. There is no middle ground. I would say, decide which side of the fence you want to be on and get there.

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

However, he is a good man and he does not practice Reiki for money.

Songbird, your husband is doing his best with the knowledge he has.

Geeswell
captain of 100

Post by Geeswell »

this letter was presented in our student marrieds ward as well.

dennis
captain of 1,000

Post by dennis »

Constance Cumbey was one of the first to write about the link between NEW AGE and Anti Christ. Constance Cumbey Author of "The Hidden Dangers of the Rainbow" tells her story on how she discovered the New Age Movement. Its an exciting story to hear as the truth of the new age movement is exposed from the shadows it hides behind, revealing its dark purposes and satanic plot in its hope for the Anti Christ. Constance also tells her thrilling account of how she basically shattered a Benjamin Creme gathering by saying the Lords Prayer, while they were waiting for Maitreya to show.. Get ready for an exciting time as Constance Cumbey tells her story. Filmed at the Radio Liberty 2006 conference, hosted by Dr. Stanley Monteith http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8007045479# Rosabella what is your oppinion on her writings?

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

Dennis, I don't know if Rosabella will respond, but I know from her many writings, she is very familiar with and likes Constance Cumbey.

Rosabella
captain of 1,000

Post by Rosabella »

dennis wrote:Constance Cumbey was one of the first to write about the link between NEW AGE and Anti Christ. Constance Cumbey Author of "The Hidden Dangers of the Rainbow" tells her story on how she discovered the New Age Movement. Its an exciting story to hear as the truth of the new age movement is exposed from the shadows it hides behind, revealing its dark purposes and satanic plot in its hope for the Anti Christ. Constance also tells her thrilling account of how she basically shattered a Benjamin Creme gathering by saying the Lords Prayer, while they were waiting for Maitreya to show.. Get ready for an exciting time as Constance Cumbey tells her story. Filmed at the Radio Liberty 2006 conference, hosted by Dr. Stanley Monteith http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8007045479# Rosabella what is your oppinion on her writings?

I have read Constance Cumbey's works writings. I suggest even suggest them on my website. You can download them for free on her site. http://www.cumbey.blogspot.com

Constance in the past wrote about the whole new age movement. In recent years she has focused her primary research on the EU and Javier Solana as one of the potential anti-Christs. Though I may not fully embrace all her ideas regarding Javiar Solana ( I have not researched him as she has to have an real opinion) I still do think she over all is on the right track on the bigger picture. She keeps up with many of the international movements of the new age. I have great respect for her. She was the first to expose the New Age Movement back in the 80's. She has a vast vast knowledge. As a Lawyer she uses data not just hypothetical ideas.

One of the things I respect the most about her is she defends all the Abrahamic Faiths, not just Christianity or one flavor of it. She understands the Adversary's war is against ALL that believe in a God that is separate from them and emphasizes that ALL the Monotheistic faiths are in danger and are the enemy to the New Age Movement.

I also really like Warren Smith. He wrote a book called Reinventing Jesus Christ. It can be read online at http://www.ReinventingJesusChrist.com He was a new ager and then became a Christian. He puts many things into perspective and shows the difference between the New Age Christianity and the Christianity that worships a true God.

I also like http://www.lighthousetrailsresearch.comThey are a group that's whole purpose is to expose the new spirituality or the New Age Movement. They have a lot of good information. The downside is some of their authors have written somethings that are not always LDS friendly. You will find some digs at the Mormon Church do to the fact that we believe we will or can become "Gods". They confuse our path to Godhood with the false teachings of Godhood in the New Age. There is not a huge amount of it but it still is there. If you ignore some of their mainstream Christian ideas and their thoughts on Mormonism you can find very valid information regarding the New Age Movement. I want to clarify it is not a anti-Mormon site it is a anti-New Age site and sometimes we get put into that group wrongly. Sadly we cannot expect more from non-LDS authors on this topic. I truly feel these are very good Christians working with the knowledge that they have and trying their best to fight the Adversary and his spirituality. They even expose how much the new age has dug its claws into mainstream Christianity. Warren Smith has written books and articles on that topic.

Rosabella
captain of 1,000

Post by Rosabella »

kathyn wrote:Dennis, I don't know if Rosabella will respond, but I know from her many writings, she is very familiar with and likes Constance Cumbey.
Thanks for answering Kathyn. Since I do not read all the threads I am not able to catch all the questions like this one :) It is nice to have someone to help answer :)

GeeR
captain of 1,000

Post by GeeR »

Just got that letter read to us today in sacrament meeting. I'm a little surprised because it is the same letter that was sent out in 2001. I guess these things are still problematic 9 years later.

http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/4 ... roups.html

dennis
captain of 1,000

Post by dennis »

In the letter are they refering to new Age? or anything new age? Why are there not more LDS authors and articles warning about New Age? I have noticed more writen by other Christians warning about it , than LDS. Thank the Lord for Rosabella.
Constance was writing about it 30 years ago.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Today's letter was not only about new age. It was about various self help meetings that are happening and implying an endorsement from the church. the letter clarifies that there is no such endorsement and warned against several specific things to watch for. I do not remember them all but the point that I do remember:

<deleted>

ah, our EQ president emailed me the ocmplete list

1) Challenges Religion as a means of helping people

2) Suggests confronting family members as a way to improve your situation

3) Imitates religious rites or rituals

4) Promotes physical contact with other participants

5) Meets in the late evening or early morning hours

6) Requests or encourages disclosing of normally confidential information

7) Pairs Husbands/wives with people other than their spouse.

There was also a separate letter where they asked people to please quit writing to church headquarters with various doctrinal or other questions. All things must be done with order, and local leaders are entitled tot he revelation needed to assist us. They may also seek further clarification from the Stake leadership, and if needed the Stake President may contact Church headquarters if it becomes necessary.

Rosabella
captain of 1,000

Post by Rosabella »

"Church members should not participate in groups that:

1. Challenge religious and moral values or advocate unwarranted confrontation with spouse or family members as a means of reaching one's potential. (The new age does challenge religious and moral values completely and outwardly and it does have group meetings people are encourage to have confrontations in various workshops.

2. Imitate sacred rites or ceremonies. (this I believe and was told meant not just LDS rites or ceremonies but those of other beliefs such as pagan, Shamanism, Anything that is connected to another religion or spirituality. Things such as energy circle, meditation circles, the using of sweat lodges, the cleansing of an area with burning of certain incense, use of crystals, the list is way to long to even attempt to give an overview)

3. Foster physical contact among participants. (you do also find this in many of the new age workshops)

4. Meet late into the evening or in the early-morning hours. (you do also find this in many of the new age workshops and mediation circles)

5. Encourage open confession or disclosure of personal information normally discussed only in confidential settings. (you do also find this in many of the new age workshops)

6. Cause a husband and wife to be paired with other parties." (you do also find this in many of the new age workshops)

Rosabella
captain of 1,000

Post by Rosabella »

Here is an article about one such new age workshop/retreat.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/20/us/20sedona.html
There is negative energy in the air here, which the channelers, mystics, healers, psychics and other New Age practitioners of Sedona are grappling to identify and snuff out. It has to do with the recent dearth of visitors to this spiritual oasis in search of enlightenment.

Nobody is sure exactly what is keeping people away from Sedona’s four vortexes, swirling energy sources emanating from the earth, but the effects are clear: far fewer crystals are being bought, spiritual tours taken and treatments ordered, from aura cleansings to chakra balancings.

.....Some, though, are leaving nothing to chance. Two weeks ago, after months of spiritual cleansings, prayer and channeling sessions, the retreat where the sweat lodge victims died held a memorial intended to turn the page.
http://www.angelvalley.org
Angel Valley Sedona is a spiritual center located just outside of Sedona, Arizona. Its teachings are focused on being in one’s heart, on self-empowerment, on bringing harmony in one’s life by discovering and being one’s True Natural Self.

Angel Valley Sedona is a sanctuary to retreat for those who choose to practice meditation and reflection, to experience healing and transformation, to rest and rejuvenate and to take time for spiritual growth.

Angel Valley’s temple is in Nature. Among the towering red rocks, by the continuous flow of the creek and experiencing the power of the vortexes and energy sites, that is where one connects with the Creator God.

The Angels and Archangels are very present in the sacred valley. Connecting with other dimensions and realities is effortless. The veils are thinner in the purity of Nature.

The dream and vision of Angel Valley Sedona is to grow into a New Paradigm Community. Within this concept the Ministry works with Conscious Energy Exchange.

Angel Valley is located 6 miles southwest of Sedona, on 70 acres of pristine high desert country, surrounded by thousands of acres of National Forest. Oak Creek embraces the peaceful valley..
When they speak of God and Angels it is not the Christian meaning...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Arthur_Ray (New ager and promoter of the Law of Attraction an occult law)
Last edited by Rosabella on October 24th, 2010, 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dennis
captain of 1,000

Post by dennis »

thanks for the clarification I have a grandaughter named Isabella. She is a living Doll. My daughter went to a meeting or seminar by Leslie Householder. She is LDS I Guess? Completley taken in by what she says So So sad. I heard the letter being read by the Bishop and the thought never entered my mind that they were refering to New Age. Why cant they mention it by name? I think It would help clear up the confusion

Rosabella
captain of 1,000

Post by Rosabella »

dennis wrote:thanks for the clarification I have a grandaughter named Isabella. She is a living Doll. My daughter went to a meeting or seminar by Leslie Householder. She is LDS I Guess? Completley taken in by what she says So So sad. I heard the letter being read by the Bishop and the thought never entered my mind that they were refering to New Age. Why cant they mention it by name? I think It would help clear up the confusion
I have read The Jackrabbit Factor: Portal to Genius by Leslie Householder. It is all about the Law of Attraction. Which is a occult term and belief that has always existed within the occult. (the true hidden occult). Leslie says she is a member of the LDS church.

I think the reason they do not give it a name to it is it has so many names. The New Age Movement is just one of its many faces with the same philosophies. It is the core philosophies we need to understand to recognize it because purposely goes by so many names.

p51-mustang
captain of 1,000

Post by p51-mustang »

My wife mentioned "the secret" in a relief society lesson after quoting Utchdorfs talk where he said the gospel was not a secret. All heck broke lose for her saying that. Some sisters defended "the secret" and other sisters chastised my wife for getting off topic.

Our Bishop also read this letter today in sacrament meeting. My wife and I knew he was talking about new age movement stuff. Not sure how many others have even heard of "the new age" movement.