Latetst Rumor

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
durangout
captain of 1,000

Latetst Rumor

Post by durangout »

I hate to be the one to start the latest rumor but...

Has anybody heard that the church has built an identical replica of the Converence Center in Rexburg? What I was told was that it is the same size and will function the same way as well.

If this is true, there is only one reason I can think of why this was done: as a back-up in case of catistrophic destruciton in SL valley.

:shock:

fps.sledge
captain of 100

Re: Latetst Rumor

Post by fps.sledge »

umm...Where did you hear this?

Mullenite
captain of 1,000

Post by Mullenite »

Setting is around 12,000 and its not finish.

mattctr
captain of 100

Post by mattctr »

News article about the new auditorium. Link also has VIDEO from local news segment that shows interior. The main auditorium hall borrows heavily in design features from the Conference Center. Looks incredible!

http://www.localnews8.com/news/24557909/detail.html
With a seating capacity of 15,000, this new auditorium will be able to house every student and employee on campus.

The building has four parts.

The east end of the building houses the activity center, a huge room with 10 basketball courts and an indoor track.

The lobby is for students to hang out in and feeds into the largest part of the building, the auditorium.

The hall will be used for university devotionals, graduation and other large special events.

The fourth and final part of the building is a broadcast center where video and audio can be gathered on campus and sent all over the world through the LDS church network.

If you have ever been to the conference center in downtown Salt Lake you might recognize a similarity between the two halls.

"They are certainly different uses from a church perspective to just a university setting, but we have learned from their design and have learned from their consultants as to what their challenges were and tried to incorporate some of those changes,” said Project Manager Andy Johnson.

BYU-Idaho spokesman Andy Cargal says the auditorium is an indicator of how much the school has grown and the potential it has.

"The university is very excited about this building,” said Cargal. “The effort, thought and planning that's gone into the development of this, it's going to open in a couple of months and its great seeing the fruits of that effort finally being brought to pass."

"This project has been very unique because of the size and design of it,” said Johnson. “I've never been involved in a project his big."

Because of the sheer size of the building, engineers had to improvise in some areas.

With the lobby ceiling reaching so high, it would be very difficult to change the light bulbs. To make things easier, reflectors were put in place to shine the light from the bulbs hung on the walls.

The project is scheduled to be completed by January 2011, but university officials hope to hold December graduation in the new auditorium.

LukeAir2008
captain of 1,000

Post by LukeAir2008 »

Now, if it was being built in Independance, Mo. that would be news! :lol:

This is just so that after SLC is destroyed the Saints have somewhere to meet for Conference. Good idea.

Seventh Seal opens next September. Big earthquake and all that... 8)

durangout
captain of 1,000

Post by durangout »

fps.sledge wrote:umm...Where did you hear this?
Are you ready for this? My friend's thrid cousin who works at the church office building. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I also later confirmed that the seating is "only" for 15K and not 21K like the conference center. So, I guess I'm not too worried that we will be moving to ID before MO. Still, that's curiously large.

Quiet Cricket
captain of 100

Post by Quiet Cricket »

I was out there for a semester and there were huge problems with parking and I heard that Pres Hinckley said he couldn't justify the tithing money to build a parking garage (may or may not be true). Then to build this? Either they are really investing in the rising generation, or they have more in mind for this building. Since when do they want every single student tp be able to come to every big meeting? Has this ever happened?

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

I am sure the construction is just a cover for the construction of the underground city. :lol:

LukeAir2008
captain of 1,000

Post by LukeAir2008 »

durangout wrote:
Are you ready for this? My friend's thrid cousin who works at the church office building. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I also later confirmed that the seating is "only" for 15K and not 21K like the conference center. So, I guess I'm not too worried that we will be moving to ID before MO. Still, that's curiously large.
I think thats because there won't be enough Saints left to fill a 21K hall. :lol:

Raindrop
captain of 100

Post by Raindrop »

Unemployment must not be affecting too many tithe payers...

cayenne
captain of 100

Post by cayenne »

when yellowstone blows, you do not want to be in SE Idaho!

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

Are you guys sure it's not just for the 20,000+ BYU-Idaho students? There are a lot of events the auditorium could be used for (devotionals, theatrical plays, musical performances, etc.).

Mullenite
captain of 1,000

Post by Mullenite »

cayenne wrote:when yellowstone blows, you do not want to be in SE Idaho!

I believe Roger K Young Lives in Rigby, 12 miles from Rexburg.

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

Mullenite wrote:

You mean he's not living in a tent city yet? :wink:

Raindrop
captain of 100

Post by Raindrop »

The records will be moving from Salt Lake City across the Colorado, remember? And you want to get outta' there when that happens.

They must have some *great* organ concerts at BYU-ID. :lol:

Mullenite
captain of 1,000

Post by Mullenite »

Col. Flagg wrote:
Mullenite wrote:

You mean he's not living in a tent city yet? :wink:
RKY, SARAH MENET once stated that Rigby is place of safety.

Henmasher
captain of 1,000

Post by Henmasher »

LukeAir2008 wrote:
durangout wrote:

I think thats because there won't be enough Saints left to fill a 21K hall. :lol:
Now thats funny :lol: :lol:
I'll watch down and look in on you from time to time Luke :lol: :lol:

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

Mullenite wrote:RKY, SARAH MENET once stated that Rigby is place of safety.
I think I'd rather hear that coming from a prophet or the Lord in scripture than Sarah Menet. A cataclysmic Yellowstone eruption would actually fulfill a lot of scriptural accounts of the terrible natural events that are supposed to occur in the last days prior to Christ's second coming, (sun darkened, earthquakes, pillars of smoke, fire, etc.). If that were to occur, I'd rather be in Utah than Rigby, ID. :shock: It sure is pretty in Rigby though... we drove through it (highway 20) on our way to Yellowstone 2 years ago. :D

Rensai
captain of 1,000

Post by Rensai »

Yep, up here in Idaho these type of rumors have been common. I thought everyone knew about the "auditorium" by now. But hey, as long as we're on the rumor mill here, I'll add to the fire. Up here in SE Idaho hams on the church's emergency communication network have drilled several times on the scenario that "SL was destroyed and church HQ was moved up here." I don't know if they run these types of drills everywhere or what, but in light of the auditorium, you can imagine the rumors we've had up here. :)

EDIT: One more good one. Over the last several years the church owned girls camps and such have been expanded to allow thousands of campers. Which is odd, because currently only a very small fraction of that capacity is needed.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Rensai wrote: I'll add to the fire. Up here in SE Idaho hams on the church's emergency communication network have drilled several times on the scenario that "SL was destroyed and church HQ was moved up here." I don't know if they run these types of drills everywhere or what, but in light of the auditorium, you can imagine the rumors we've had up here. :)
Other than HQ's being moved to Idaho, that's been drilled here in Cache Valley too, a few times and recently! The EQ is in Salt Lake, that's what's being drilled anyway.

Mullenite
captain of 1,000

Post by Mullenite »

shadow wrote:
Rensai wrote: I'll add to the fire. Up here in SE Idaho hams on the church's emergency communication network have drilled several times on the scenario that "SL was destroyed and church HQ was moved up here." I don't know if they run these types of drills everywhere or what, but in light of the auditorium, you can imagine the rumors we've had up here. :)
Other than HQ's being moved to Idaho, that's been drilled here in Cache Valley too, a few times and recently! The EQ is in Salt Lake, that's what's being drilled anyway.

Yes; the rumor President Hickley spoke before the dedication
that million of saints will live in the valley soon.

srsmith
captain of 10

Post by srsmith »

Col. Flagg wrote:A cataclysmic Yellowstone eruption would actually fulfill a lot of scriptural accounts of the terrible natural events that are supposed to occur in the last days prior to Christ's second coming, (sun darkened, earthquakes, pillars of smoke, fire, etc.).
So would the tail of a comet. When the seventh seal opens John says the earth will experience "hail (meteors?) and fire (hydrocarbons?) mingled with blood (red dust?) (Rev. 8:7).

The world may have received a sample of this back in 1871 when Chicago burned. There is evidence that the earth passed through the tail of the comet Biela on Sunday night, October 8th, 1871. Devastating fires spontaneously broke out in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Illinois. The sky literally burst into flames. Chicago was burned. A number of villages on the shores of Lake Michigan were swept bare by whirlwinds of flame. Over 15,000 people were made homeless. 2,000,000 acres of forest was burned. Fires burned across the plains, over the Rocky Mountains and on to the Pacific coast. Red dust rained down in the areas that were burned.

Here is an Internet article that describes the event:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/atl/rag/rag32.htm

If the tail of a small comet can cause damage of this magnitude, just imagine the destructions of a larger comet. According to Matthew and Joseph Smith that is exactly will happen. After describing the tribulations of our day (JST Matt. 24:22, 28-30), Matthew says:

"And, as I said before, after the tribulation of those days, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken, then shall appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven, and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn; and they shall see the Son of Man coming in the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory" (JST Matt. 24:36).

Joseph Smith described the same thing, in greater detail:

"Then will appear one grand sign of the Son of Man in heaven. But what will the world do? They will say it is a planet, a comet, etc. But the Son of Man will come as the sign of the coming of the Son of Man, which will be as the light of the morning cometh out of the east." (History of the Church, 5:337; from a discourse given by Joseph Smith on Apr. 6, 1843, in Nauvoo, Illinois; reported by Willard Richards).

Apparently, the sign of the coming of the Son of Man will be a planet sized comet. The tail of a planet sized comet could easily carry "a great mountain burning with fire" to be "cast into the sea" (Rev. 8:8).

In his book "Doctrinal Commentary on the Pearl of Great Price," Hyrum Andrus references to a journal entry by Wandle Mace who had heard Joseph Smith "speak of the sign of the coming of the Son of Man, which all should see." According to Elder Mace, the Prophet said: "It was the return of the City of Enoch to the earth."

If the sign of the Son of Man arrives to cause destructions when the seventh seal opens and sticks around to be the return of the City of Enoch, it must go into an elliptical orbit and periodically cause destructions throughout the seventh seal. For example, perhaps the 200,000,000 horsemen are not horsemen at all. John says they have "breastplates of fire, and of jacinth, and brimstone: and the heads of the horses were as the heads of lions; and out of their mouths issued fire and smoke and brimstone" . He also says, "Their power is in their mouth, and in their tails: for their tails were like unto serpents, and had heads, and with them they do hurt" (Rev 9:17-19). Sounds like the tail of a comet to me. The third part of men may be killed by 200,000,000 meteors, accompanied by the same fires that destroyed Chicago.

Perhaps the Gog and Magog army are destroyed by another pass of the sign of the Son of Man. Another pass, besides delivering the city of Enoch, could deliver even greater destructions at the Second Coming.

As bad as this sounds, when these events start to happen it will be good to remember D&C 21:6 and realize the destructions from heaven will not harm the saints. They are meant to deliver the saints from destruction by the wicked:

"... the Lord God will disperse the powers of darkness from before you, and cause the heavens to shake for your good, and his name’s glory" (D&C 21:6).
Last edited by srsmith on October 13th, 2010, 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

srsmith wrote:
Col. Flagg wrote:A cataclysmic Yellowstone eruption would actually fulfill a lot of scriptural accounts of the terrible natural events that are supposed to occur in the last days prior to Christ's second coming, (sun darkened, earthquakes, pillars of smoke, fire, etc.).
So would the tail of a comet. When the seventh seal opens John says the earth will experience "hail (meteors?) and fire (hydrocarbons?) mingled with blood (red dust?) (Rev. 8:7).

The world may have received a sample of this back in 1871 when Chicago burned. There is evidence that the earth passed through the tail of the comet Biela on Sunday night, October 8th, 1871. Devastating fires spontaneously broke out in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Illinois. The sky literally burst into flames. Chicago was burned. A number of villages on the shores of Lake Michigan were swept bare by whirlwinds of flame. Over 15,000 people were made homeless. 2,000,000 acres of forest was burned. Fires burned across the plains, over the Rocky Mountains and on to the Pacific coast. Red dust rained down in the areas that were burned.

Here is an Internet article that describes the event:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/atl/rag/rag32.htm

If the tail of a small comet can cause damage of this magnitude, just imagine the destructions of a larger comet. According to Matthew and Joseph Smith that is exactly will happen. After describing the tribulations of our day (JST Matt. 24:22, 28-30), Matthew says:

"And, as I said before, after the tribulation of those days, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken, then shall appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven, and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn; and they shall see the Son of Man coming in the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory" (JST Matt. 24:36).

Joseph Smith described the same thing, in greater detail:

"Then will appear one grand sign of the Son of Man in heaven. But what will the world do? They will say it is a planet, a comet, etc. But the Son of Man will come as the sign of the coming of the Son of Man, which will be as the light of the morning cometh out of the east." (History of the Church, 5:337; from a discourse given by Joseph Smith on Apr. 6, 1843, in Nauvoo, Illinois; reported by Willard Richards).

Apparently, the sign of the coming of the Son of Man will be a planet sized comet. The tail of a planet sized comet could easily carry "a great mountain burning with fire" to be "cast into the sea" (Rev. 8:8).

In his book "Doctrinal Commentary on the Pearl of Great Price," Hyrum Andrus references a journal entry by Wandle Mace who had heard Joseph Smith "speak of the sign of the coming of the Son of Man, which all should see." According to Elder Mace, the Prophet said: "It was the return of the City of Enoch to the earth."

If the sign of the Son of Man arrives to cause destructions when the seventh seal opens and sticks around to be the return of the City of Enoch, it must go into an elliptical orbit and periodically cause destructions throughout the seventh seal. For example, perhaps the 200,000,000 horsemen are not horsemen at all. John says they have "breastplates of fire, and of jacinth, and brimstone: and the heads of the horses were as the heads of lions; and out of their mouths issued fire and smoke and brimstone" . He also says, "Their power is in their mouth, and in their tails: for their tails were like unto serpents, and had heads, and with them they do hurt" (Rev 9:17-19). Sounds like the tail of a comet to me. The third part of men may be killed by 200,000,000 meteors, accompanied by the same fires that destroyed Chicago.

Perhaps the Gog and Magog army are destroyed by another pass of the sign of the Son of Man. Another pass, besides delivering the city of Enoch, could deliver even greater destructions at the Second Coming.

As bad as this sounds, when these events start to happen it will be good to remember D&C 21:6 and realize the destructions from heaven will not harm the saints. They are meant to deliver the saints from destruction by the wicked:

"... the Lord God will disperse the powers of darkness from before you, and cause the heavens to shake for your good, and his name’s glory" (D&C 21:6).
Great post and very true srsmith... thanks! I believe you could very well be right.

John Adams
captain of 1,000

Post by John Adams »

Mullenite wrote:
shadow wrote:

Yes; the rumor President Hickley spoke before the dedication
that million of saints will live in the valley soon.
This post caught my attention. I personally am not one that gets a lot of "personal" dreams, but I do have a couple that I remember quite vividly. One was while I was living in Seattle around 2002 and 2003 and it was about President Hinckley and SE Idaho. Does anyone have any the exact quote from the dedication relating to millions of saints livign in the valley?

Mullenite
captain of 1,000

Post by Mullenite »

On August 30, 2007, it was announced that the temple's open house would begin on December 29, 2007 and run through January 26, 2008. The dedication was to be held on February 3, 2008; however, due to the death of Gordon B. Hinckley and his funeral planned for February 2, 2008, the dedication was postponed one week and was dedicated on February 10 by new Church President Thomas S. Monson. Val R. Christensen is the temple's first president.