Inflation vs. Deflation debate

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Jason
Master of Puppets

Re: Inflation vs. Deflation debate

Post by Jason »

Moss Man wrote:Jason - would you cash-in your precious metals (if you had any) for reserve notes or hold onto them?
Depends....I don't have any so take that into consideration when appraising my response (I'm in debt).

If I had any debt to pay I'd cash in - no thought required....and pay off debt. Especially now with prices at or near all time highs.

Beyond that....hard question because it really gets into what precise scenario you see coming down the road with all of the timing implications as well as long terms goals and realistic end points. Where do you want to be and what you want to be doing when the proverbial crap hits the fan (me....I'd like to be a farmer in fairly remote area).

Will they print or not print? Who makes that call? Why would they make it....or not make it? What are the constraints - if its only more debt who is going to borrow and how? Additional debt doesn't solve a debt saturation problem but only hastens the demise.

What's going to happen outside the scope of their control (i.e. God) and what is His timing and His plans/actions....and how does that effect the investment position (value)? Like what's the value of gold when you are starving and running for your life from a pack of wild dogs???

My hunch is they (very top dogs to whom all the debt is owed) will create deflation (often reiterated I know) in the short term. Long term they lose and God wins. What that will look like financially and in terms of timing is anybody's guess. I have difficulty believing the US dollar will survive intact....but there is a gap to be bridged between now and then when those dollars could be extremely difficult to come by to service debt (or you give up everything to those whom you are obligated to). We've been given much advice in surviving that gap which includes getting out of debt, savings for rainy day, food storage, etc.

Here's the general overview of silver/gold bug via comment at Zero Hedge -
There will be no deleveraging. If deleveraging commences, then asset prices fall, the banks fail, and depositors lose their money. The Fed won't allow depositors to lose their money so the Fed either prints now to keep the credit stream going, or they print later to bail out the banks so depositors don't lose their money.
Its the general belief the the little guy still matters and that the government can't possibly let them down....reason hearts are going to fail!!!

fyi - also a fan of mattress (safe) FRNs if you haven't caught that too.

From an investment/speculation standpoint it could be tempting to cash out and cash in after the deleveraging has fully hit. Timing, risk, investment vehicles used, luck, etc....all play major roles though in getting in & out successfully with real hard assets (whether land, gold, food, etc).

The gold/silver bugs will push the idea that the government is on the verge of collapse....while partially true....they leave out the reality that we are just shifting to a complete dictatorship. The people don't have real representation and are not calling the shots. Sure there are riots....but the people who do call the shots have big guns, technology, armies, media, law, government ownership, etc etc etc. We know when that dictatorship goes into final implementation (King or I interpret as martial law)....that things will fall apart (promised no kings on this land - God will intervene)....but that could be awhile after credit disappears and we've gone through a nasty hard round of deflation (getting out and back into gold could net you multiples of the gold you have now).

I have a hunch that the plague will be unleashed by the gadiantons in response to the premise that they own everything.....and the people (who actually have day to day control/use of their assets - they acquired by debt) have become to pesky to deal with (selfish in their own right and prone to riots/violence/destruction)....and thus ought to be eliminated.

I'm guessing all of this takes place in the near future (over the next 12 months).

My personal favorite asset....and the one I WILL invest in (if and when I can get out of my current investment with an egg to invest)....is land which produces food. In a perfect world good clean land free from years of pesticide/herbicide/fungicide abuse....and productive. But that's just me with my ideals.....I'm still fairly young and could still do hard labor (though an adjustment for sure from desk jockey). If I were in my late 80's....I'd be shooting for hard assets to trade (gold/silver) for the things I needed...or some other way that I could produce to barter for things I needed (owning equipment/tools?).

Anyways that's probably way more than you bargained for.....

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

I'm glad you hopped back in, Jason.

I am with you - would love to farm/ranch in a small community although you have seen the shape I am in and there is no question there would be serious changes. (that said I have done some small acreage farming and somewhat know what I am getting into.) I'd love to be in a self sufficient small community with some raising beef cattle, pigs, a good variety of crops.

I don't know if you have heardm but on a somewhat related note, with food prices rising, cattle rustling is on the rise. Always been a bit of a problem, truly sad, you can't even be a simple farmer/rancher without having to deal with the takers... :(

If you want to know some areas I have scoped out - there is a road that heads east from Heber (it's a little back road that ends up in Tabiona out in the Uintah Basin) lots of pretty remote land, it looks like decent water supply (there is a good stream running through the canyon) and it seems out of the way enough that I don't think you would be bothered, but the canyon is also narrow enough that in a "Mad Max" scenario it would be pretty easy to monitor any traffic passing thru.

Nice thing about Utah is there are probably a thousand places around the state you could disappear to and probably do all right.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Original_Intent wrote:I'm glad you hopped back in, Jason.

I am with you - would love to farm/ranch in a small community although you have seen the shape I am in and there is no question there would be serious changes. (that said I have done some small acreage farming and somewhat know what I am getting into.) I'd love to be in a self sufficient small community with some raising beef cattle, pigs, a good variety of crops.

I don't know if you have heardm but on a somewhat related note, with food prices rising, cattle rustling is on the rise. Always been a bit of a problem, truly sad, you can't even be a simple farmer/rancher without having to deal with the takers... :(

If you want to know some areas I have scoped out - there is a road that heads east from Heber (it's a little back road that ends up in Tabiona out in the Uintah Basin) lots of pretty remote land, it looks like decent water supply (there is a good stream running through the canyon) and it seems out of the way enough that I don't think you would be bothered, but the canyon is also narrow enough that in a "Mad Max" scenario it would be pretty easy to monitor any traffic passing thru.

Nice thing about Utah is there are probably a thousand places around the state you could disappear to and probably do all right.
Thank you OI!

Not to mention Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, North & South Dakota, and even portions of Colorado, etc....my problem is I need my nest egg to do it....and that nest egg is dependent upon 2 to 3 years of an economy in at least similar condition as what exists now....and I don't see that happening (even over the next 2 to 3 months).

iamse7en
captain of 1,000

Post by iamse7en »

Interesting thoughts from von Mises:
The notions of inflation and deflation are not praxeological concepts. They were not created by economists, but by the mundane speech of the public and of politicians. They implied the popular fallacy that there is such a thing as neutral money or money of stable purchasing power and that sound money should be neutral and stable in purchasing power. From this point of view the term inflation was applied to signify cash-induced changes resulting in a drop in purchasing power, and the term deflation to signify cash-induced changes resulting in a rise in purchasing power.

However, those applying these terms are not aware of the fact that purchasing power never remains unchanged and that consequently there is always either inflation or deflation. They ignore these necessarily perpetual fluctuations as far as they are only small and inconspicuous, and reserve the use of the terms to big changes in purchasing power. Since the question at what point a change in purchasing power begins to deserve being called big depends on personal relevance judgments, it becomes manifest that inflation and deflation are terms lacking the categorial precision required for praxeological, economic, and catallactic concepts.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

iamse7en wrote:Interesting thoughts from von Mises:
The notions of inflation and deflation are not praxeological concepts. They were not created by economists, but by the mundane speech of the public and of politicians. They implied the popular fallacy that there is such a thing as neutral money or money of stable purchasing power and that sound money should be neutral and stable in purchasing power. From this point of view the term inflation was applied to signify cash-induced changes resulting in a drop in purchasing power, and the term deflation to signify cash-induced changes resulting in a rise in purchasing power.

However, those applying these terms are not aware of the fact that purchasing power never remains unchanged and that consequently there is always either inflation or deflation. They ignore these necessarily perpetual fluctuations as far as they are only small and inconspicuous, and reserve the use of the terms to big changes in purchasing power. Since the question at what point a change in purchasing power begins to deserve being called big depends on personal relevance judgments, it becomes manifest that inflation and deflation are terms lacking the categorial precision required for praxeological, economic, and catallactic concepts.
They rant about the problem but don't provide any solutions....and muddy the waters further through terminology in poor attempt to claim supremacy of thought/approach - check that last sentence for the categorial precision of my analysis!

iamse7en
captain of 1,000

Post by iamse7en »

Mises provided many solutions. This was merely a commentary on semantics.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

iamse7en wrote:Mises provided many solutions. This was merely a commentary on semantics.
I've read through a bit of their material and haven't been super impressed. That said it is leaps and bounds ahead of what is taught in school these days.

robertdavis
Hi, I'm new.

Post by robertdavis »

I am very glad to visit this informative post. Thanks......

stock market today

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Americans Are Deleveraging, But Not Because They Want To

As comparisons between US and European debt to GDP levels and the finger-pointing of who is deleveraging more continues, McKinsey notes (in their quarterly Debt and Deleveraging article) that there may be a light at the end of the tunnel for the US as private-sector deleveraging has been rapid since 2008. However, reading on a little, we find that the light at the end of the tunnel may well be the front of the oncoming train of financial distress as some two-thirds of the 4% ($584bn) in US household debt deleveraging is from defaults on home-loans (and other consumer debt)!

From 1990 to 2008, US private-sector debt rose from 148 percent of GDP to 234 percent (Exhibit 5). Household debt rose by more than half, peaking at 98 percent of GDP in 2008. Debt of nonfinancial corporations rose to 79 percent of GDP, while debt of financial institutions reached 57 percent of GDP.

Since the end of 2008, all categories of US private-sector debt have fallen as a percent of GDP. The reduction by financial institutions has been most striking. By mid-2011 the ratio of financial-sector debt relative to GDP had fallen below where it stood in 2000. In dollar terms, it declined from $8 trillion to $6.1 trillion. Nearly $1 trillion of this decline can be attributed to the collapse of Lehman Brothers, JP Morgan Chase’s purchase of Bear Stearns, and the Bank of America-Merrill Lynch merger. Since 2008, banks also have been funding themselves with more deposits and less debt.

Among US households, debt has fallen by 4 percent in absolute terms, or $584 billion. Some two-thirds of that reduction is from defaults on home loans and other consumer debt. An estimated $254 billion of troubled mortgages remain in the foreclosure pipeline, suggesting the potential for several more percentage points of household debt reduction as these loans are discharged. A majority of defaults reflect financial distress: overextended homeowners who lost jobs or faced medical emergencies and found that they could not afford to keep up with payments.

We estimate that US households could face roughly two more years of deleveraging. As noted above, there is no accepted definition of the safe level of household debt, which might serve as a target for deleveraging. One possible goal is for the ratio of household debt relative to disposable income to return to its historic trend. Between 1952 and 2000, this ratio rose steadily—by about 1.5 percent annually—reflecting growing access to mortgages, consumer credit, student loans, and other forms of credit in the United States. After 2000, growth in household borrowing accelerated, and by 2008, growth in the ratio of household debt to income had climbed more than 30 percentage points above the trend line. By the second quarter of 2011, this ratio had fallen by 15 percentage points. At the current rate of deleveraging, it could return to trend by mid-2013 (Exhibit 7).

[Jason note: of course that's just to reach trendline....for every bump over trendline there is a corresponding dip of equal proportion. As you can see from the chart at the link we aren't even to the half way point - i.e. trendline (estimated at 2 more years)....]

In the wake of a highly destructive financial crisis, it is reasonable to ask whether a continuous upward trend in household borrowing is sustainable. A more conservative goal for US household deleveraging, then, might be to aim for a return to the ratio of debt relative to income of 2000, before the credit bubble. This would require a reduction of 22 percentage points from the ratio of mid-2011.

Another comparison is with Swedish households in the 1990s, which reduced household debt relative to income by 41 percentage points. By this measure, US households are a bit more than one-third of the way through deleveraging.
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/americans ... -they-want" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mckinseyquarterly.com/Workin ... _debt_2914" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

....the Swiss measure looks much more accurate....

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Inflation Or Deflation: Which Is The Greater Risk?

Measuring the Money Supply

The U.S. money supply is measured by M1, M2 and M3. M1 includes all cash, currency, checking and N.O.W. accounts. M2 includes M1 plus time deposits (CD’s), savings deposits and non-institutional money market funds. Hence, M2 is more broad. M3 includes M2 plus longer term deposits, however, as of 2006, the Fed no longer tracks M3. The money supply must keep pace with the increase in the population and the expansion of the economy. If the money supply were to rise too fast inflation can result. Conversely, if the increase in the money supply is not enough, deflation may occur. Therefore, keeping a close eye on the amount of money in the system is crucial.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikepatton/ ... expansion/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is the coming financial collapse going to be inflationary or deflationary? Are we headed for rampant inflation or crippling deflation? This is a subject that is hotly debated by economists all over the country. Some insist that the wild money printing that the Federal Reserve is doing combined with out of control government spending will eventually result in hyperinflation. Others point to all of the deflationary factors in our economy and argue that we will experience tremendous deflation when the bubble economy that we are currently living in bursts. So what is the truth? Well, for the reasons listed below, we believe that we will see both.

The next major financial panic will cause a substantial deflationary wave first, and after that we will see unprecedented inflation as the central bankers and our politicians respond to the financial crisis. This will happen so quickly that many will get "financial whiplash" as they try to figure out what to do with their money. We are moving toward a time of extreme financial instability, and different strategies will be called for at different times.
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-05-2 ... rprise-you" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I guess the easiest way to explain the future “inflation/deflation” debate depends on where the price of gold is set or trades at versus whatever new currencies come out. Set the price too low and very little gold will be pried loose, set it too high and gold will flood the streets. My guess is that the price will be set too low initially and not enough gold will flow for maybe 6 months or a year. New paper will seek gold until the “right level” (whatever that may be) is reached… and then we start the entire process all over again.
http://blog.milesfranklin.com/the-infla ... ion-debate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am about to dust off a stack of books from the 1970's to investigate these sorts of implications, and I plan to seek out firsthand accounts and guidance from people who have lived, or are currently living in, high inflation countries.
http://www.peakprosperity.com/newslette ... comes-next" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The debate still continues...and lots of differing opinions...and my bet is still on deflation! Wondering if China won't be the trigger point with debt level that surpasses US and Japan combined.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Bump...

John Adams
captain of 1,000

Post by John Adams »

Anything new going on with this debate heading into 2015?

msurkan
captain of 10

Post by msurkan »

I find it interesting that almost NO ONE is predicting outright deflation. Curiously, both bulls and bears seem to agree on a future of inflation, the only difference is the degree. Bulls think we will experience benign, controlled, inflation, with rising asset prices but no run-away price increases for consumer goods. The bears think we will experience a hyper-inflation type future where the dollar becomes worthless.

It is interesting that neither the bears or bulls seem to be able to explain the current scenario where commodity prices are falling and the dollar rising. The dropping T-bill yields clearly show there are plenty of investors who feel the dollar is MUCH safer than almost any other form of investment.

In my own view, I expect out and out deflation with collapsing asset prices (commodities, real-estate, stocks, etc) and an appreciating dollar. Ironically, this will largely be caused by the vast quantities of PRIVATE debt that have accumulated. We are getting in a vicious cycle where dropping asset prices will force people (and companies) to sell assets to pay down debt. Lenders will require that loans be repayed as the value of collateral declines.

This rush for cash (and a general liquidation of assets) creates demand for dollars which in turn drives up the value of the dollar relative to everything else.

Unfortunately, the central banks can't do much. They have pretty much shot all the arrows they have in a vain attempt to keep things going. They can't drop interest rates any more and quantitative easing has already been done.

This is a classic bubble scenario. You reach a point where debt can't keep increasing to drive asset prices higher.

John Adams
captain of 1,000

Post by John Adams »

Of course cliche, but definitely no longer a matter of if, but only of when.

caddis
captain of 1,000

Post by caddis »

msurkan wrote:I find it interesting that almost NO ONE is predicting outright deflation. Curiously, both bulls and bears seem to agree on a future of inflation, the only difference is the degree. Bulls think we will experience benign, controlled, inflation, with rising asset prices but no run-away price increases for consumer goods. The bears think we will experience a hyper-inflation type future where the dollar becomes worthless.

It is interesting that neither the bears or bulls seem to be able to explain the current scenario where commodity prices are falling and the dollar rising. The dropping T-bill yields clearly show there are plenty of investors who feel the dollar is MUCH safer than almost any other form of investment.

In my own view, I expect out and out deflation with collapsing asset prices (commodities, real-estate, stocks, etc) and an appreciating dollar. Ironically, this will largely be caused by the vast quantities of PRIVATE debt that have accumulated. We are getting in a vicious cycle where dropping asset prices will force people (and companies) to sell assets to pay down debt. Lenders will require that loans be repayed as the value of collateral declines.

This rush for cash (and a general liquidation of assets) creates demand for dollars which in turn drives up the value of the dollar relative to everything else.

Unfortunately, the central banks can't do much. They have pretty much shot all the arrows they have in a vain attempt to keep things going. They can't drop interest rates any more and quantitative easing has already been done.

This is a classic bubble scenario. You reach a point where debt can't keep increasing to drive asset prices higher.
Karl Denninger at the market ticker.org has been saying this very thing for a few years now. I'm in his camp (and yours) on this. The out of control inflation is happening and has been for years. College tuition, medical costs, housing, you name it has had unsustainable growth over the past 30 years. All that debt will need to be paid back in dollars creating a huge demand for them.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Europe is bleeding really bad again for US dollars...

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Good to see you, Legion, wish you posted more. Always felt like you provided a well-informed and logical presentation of your thoughts.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Thank you! Life has been crazy and then with the changes in the forum over the past couple of years its gotten to where I only drop by every couple of months.

Miss the old timers!!! Glad to see a number of you still participating!

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Silver is humming along at $16....
http://www.kitco.com/charts/livesilver.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Everything is pretty flat...except food. Of course with 10% of the egg laying population wiped out in a matter of months. Prior to that the pork population...prior to that beef. Not to mention energy costs in food...weather vacillation and extremity with subsequent crop damage...etc etc etc

Thoughts???

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

Legion wrote:Silver is humming along at $16....
http://www.kitco.com/charts/livesilver.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Everything is pretty flat...except food. Of course with 10% of the egg laying population wiped out in a matter of months. Prior to that the pork population...prior to that beef. Not to mention energy costs in food...weather vacillation and extremity with subsequent crop damage...etc etc etc

Thoughts???
Our usage of chemicals with no regards to anything is catching up to us?

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

ya...and force fed cannibalism probably isn't a good thing either...

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

Legion wrote:ya...and force fed cannibalism probably isn't a good thing either...
Yeah our poor choices are coming back to bite us, so it would seem less chemicals and better treatment of our food animals will be the future

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Take care of the soil microbes and they will take care of you!

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

That's the kind of stuff my pretend church (which is a humorous front for my actual belief system) says!

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

I dig'em...well actually try to feed them. But I'm a nube....