Circumcision Poll

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.

What do you think of male circumcision

Please circumcise your sons - it’s hygienic
24%
There was good reason for the Israelites to circumcise
27%
It’s whatever - just a cosmetic surgery
14%
It’s a necessary evil to prevent AIDS and STD’s
1%
I don’t like it but it’s not the end of the world
10%
It’s a barbaric practice that should be stopped
23%

Total votes: 70
Benaishtart
captain of 100

Circumcision Poll

Post by Benaishtart »

What’s your take on this?

Benaishtart
captain of 100

Re: Circumcision Poll

Post by Benaishtart »

For the record I’m extremely grateful that I was circumcised. For the potential naysayers, circumcision was practiced by other ancient cultures and was practiced before the law of Moses. Obviously God had practical reason in mind for doing it. Also I personally believe (as do Muslims and Jews) that Adam was created without a foreskin and was created in the image of God. I’ve spent dozens of hours researching the topic (including watching videos, documentaries, and reading rigorous empirically tested studies) and I’ve come to the conclusion that it is safe, healthy, and that the foreskin is a telestial birth defect. However, I have read the scriptures so I’m not going to tell anyone to do it for religious reasons, just for health and sanitary reasons. Let me know what you all think!

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Well, God's covenant to Abraham was called an eternal covenant.

WikiUp
captain of 100

Post by WikiUp »

This was an issue in the New Testament church. It was thought the gentile converts had to abide by the Pre-Christ Jewish/Hebrew laws and culural custonms. It was revealed that those laws concerning circumcision were fulfilled and no longer had to be followed. Same with the dietary restriction, etc. Read Paul in the New Testament.

LadyT
captain of 100

Post by LadyT »

I think it's elective surgery. I disagree with doing it as babies and think the owners of the penis should be the one to decide if it's done or not.
There is no way that I would ever allow it done to one of my sons as a baby. They can do it as adults if they want it done.

onandagus
captain of 50

Post by onandagus »

I did not pick any I believe it's a denial of Christ's atonement to do for religious reasons.

Paul in many instances as well as Moroni 8 and DNC 74 make it clear the requirement for circumcision was done away in Christ. While there a a few instances where it may be medically necessary it's not for the most part.

If I recall correctly removal of the forskin was not practiced until later when the rabbis determined the old method was to easy to hide blend in with the larger Hellenist culture.

I had a Christian but non LDS friend from Britain who told me one reason it's traditionally less common there is they felt it was going against Christ. I suspect it probably there are probably other more current reasons such as whether or not it's covered by NIS.

I suspect the reason most LDS in America still do is that Alopathic medicine has claimed it's benefits for many years. Although this is changing it's now considered elective by my insurance and costs more unless deemed medically necessary.

Benaishtart
captain of 100

Post by Benaishtart »

LadyT wrote: October 29th, 2019, 1:44 pm I think it's elective surgery. I disagree with doing it as babies and think the owners of the penis should be the one to decide if it's done or not.
There is no way that I would ever allow it done to one of my sons as a baby. They can do it as adults if they want it done.
But what it your baby gets a UTI?

Benaishtart
captain of 100

Post by Benaishtart »

onandagus wrote: October 29th, 2019, 1:48 pm I did not pick any I believe it's a denial of Christ's atonement to do for religious reasons.

Paul in many instances as well as Moroni 8 and DNC 74 make it clear the requirement for circumcision was done away in Christ. While there a a few instances where it may be medically necessary it's not for the most part.

If I recall correctly removal of the forskin was not practiced until later when the rabbis determined the old method was to easy to hide blend in with the larger Hellenist culture.

I had a Christian but non LDS friend from Britain who told me one reason it's traditionally less common there is they felt it was going against Christ. I suspect it probably there are probably other more current reasons such as whether or not it's covered by NIS.

I suspect the reason most LDS in America still do is that Alopathic medicine has claimed it's benefits for many years. Although this is changing it's now considered elective by my insurance and costs more unless deemed medically necessary.
Joshua 5:2
At that time the Lord said unto Joshua, Make thee sharp knives, and circumcise again the children of Israel the second time.

This highly infers that since the Egyptians just did the top part that the Israelites needed to do the whole thing...at least in Joshua’s time

Silas
captain of 1,000

Post by Silas »

Benaishtart wrote: October 29th, 2019, 12:40 pm For the record I’m extremely grateful that I was circumcised. For the potential naysayers, circumcision was practiced by other ancient cultures and was practiced before the law of Moses. Obviously God had practical reason in mind for doing it. Also I personally believe (as do Muslims and Jews) that Adam was created without a foreskin and was created in the image of God. I’ve spent dozens of hours researching the topic (including watching videos, documentaries, and reading rigorous empirically tested studies) and I’ve come to the conclusion that it is safe, healthy, and that the foreskin is a telestial birth defect. However, I have read the scriptures so I’m not going to tell anyone to do it for religious reasons, just for health and sanitary reasons. Let me know what you all think!
Did God say it was for practical reasons? Because all I see in the scriptures was that it was a token of the ancient covenant, which had been done away without circumcision being a part of the new covenant.

What is the basis for saying Adam had no foreskin? It’s not in the scriptures.

Men’s penises are just fine the way God made them. Just keep it clean and you’ll be fine.

Every excuse I’ve seen for circumcision sounds like a bunch of Talmudic Jews making excuses for rejecting the new covenant of Christ for their old lesser law.

There is absolutely no medical need for circumcision. Leave your little boys penises alone!

Silas
captain of 1,000

Post by Silas »

Benaishtart wrote: October 29th, 2019, 2:08 pm
LadyT wrote: October 29th, 2019, 1:44 pm I think it's elective surgery. I disagree with doing it as babies and think the owners of the penis should be the one to decide if it's done or not.
They have this new fangled treatment called antibiotics. It will clear it right up. Not a serious problem. Certainly not worth cutting off a part of your body. While uncircumcised penises get UTIs at slightly higher rates they can still be avoided with proper hygiene and they still happen at much lower rates than girls get them. It is not a serious problem.

You will however have to deal with lots more crying due to all of the pain of the skin irritation that your boy will experience every time he pees in his diaper until his wound heals. Because it is extremely painful for your baby boy to have the most sensitive part of his body mutilated, and that pain will persist for weeks and months while it heals without any relief.

I don’t care what any Jew says about the Talmud a natural penis is not a defect. They are fine the way God made them.

Dave62
destroyer of hopes & dreams

Post by Dave62 »

Benaishtart wrote: October 29th, 2019, 12:40 pm I’ve spent dozens of hours researching the topic (including watching videos, documentaries, and reading rigorous empirically tested studies) and I’ve come to the conclusion that it is safe, healthy, and that the foreskin is a telestial birth defect.
You've spent dozens of hours researching the topic?! Including videos?! Those winter nights must be long and tedious where you are from... :o

Silas
captain of 1,000

Post by Silas »

Fiannan wrote: October 29th, 2019, 12:50 pm Well, God's covenant to Abraham was called an eternal covenant.
D&C 19. Eternal is God’s name. Means it was a covenant with him. Doesn’t mean that it applies to all people at all times.

The scriptures are clear that it is not a part of the New and Everlasting Covenant that Christ gave which fulfilled the old law and done away with it.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Stop mutilating your children without their consent. Or even with their consent.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

I'm kinda glad mine was snipped. It has a face. It has personality.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

The Law of Circumcision is done away in Christ.

DON'T DO IT TO YOUR SON.

Moroni 8
8 Listen to the words of Christ, your Redeemer, your Lord and your God. Behold, I came into the world not to call the righteous but sinners to repentance; the whole need no physician, but they that are sick; wherefore, little children are whole, for they are not capable of committing sin; wherefore the curse of Adam is taken from them in me, that it hath no power over them; and the law of circumcision is done away in me.

pho·to·syn·the·sis
captain of 100

Post by pho·to·syn·the·sis »

Pretty sure the Prophet of the Restoration wasn't circumcised. Up until recently, It was very uncommon throughout Christendom.

PressingForward
captain of 100

Post by PressingForward »

Glad I was clipped, and I had my son clipped.
I know of two people, one a close friend, who had to have it done as adults due to constant infections. Wouldn’t wish it on anyone as an adult, they did not have a good time.
BIG BIG BIG reason my son had it done at birth.

Nan
captain of 1,000

Post by Nan »

I chose not to have it done to my son's because I could get past the pain issue. it just seems wrong to cause so much pain there just when they get to earth and are adjusting to a body. But I have always told them that I would be willing to pay for it if they desire it at any time in their life.

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

There are definite hygiene benefits to circumcision.

Just look up "smegma"

Circumcized males have much lower rates of:
Balanitis
Posthitis
Balanoposthitis
Paraphymosis
Phymosis
Urinary tract infections
Epididymitis
Prostatitis
Prostate cancer

Art Vandelay
Leader of the Outcasts

Post by Art Vandelay »

PressingForward wrote: October 29th, 2019, 4:54 pm Glad I was clipped, and I had my son clipped.
I know of two people, one a close friend, who had to have it done as adults due to constant infections. Wouldn’t wish it on anyone as an adult, they did not have a good time.
BIG BIG BIG reason my son had it done at birth.
Yep. My wife and I worked in healthcare and we both saw men with infections and sores in that area. Nasty stuff. My wife was always grossed out at the gunk that was under there even if there was no infection. When you're old and mostly incapacitated someone's gotta clean that out. We're both happy my parents had me clipped. All our boys were circumcised.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

Has anyone here actually seen it done, and if so, how traumatic is it for the baby boy?

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

pho·to·syn·the·sis wrote: October 29th, 2019, 3:28 pm Pretty sure the Prophet of the Restoration wasn't circumcised. Up until recently, It was very uncommon throughout Christendom.
I wonder if studies could be done on personality and demeanor. If it was a highly traumatic event it would show up in the personality development.

LadyT
captain of 100

Post by LadyT »

Benaishtart wrote: October 29th, 2019, 2:08 pm
They have antibiotics for that. Just like you would for a baby girl.

Benaishtart
captain of 100

Post by Benaishtart »

Juliet wrote: October 29th, 2019, 5:50 pm Has anyone here actually seen it done, and if so, how traumatic is it for the baby boy?
I was told that if I were to see it then it’d change my mind. Still haven’t been convinced. I fully realize that people have very very strong opinions on this. It’s like we can’t take away our emotions from it.

kgrigio
captain of 100

Post by kgrigio »

Juliet wrote: October 29th, 2019, 5:50 pm Has anyone here actually seen it done, and if so, how traumatic is it for the baby boy?
How many baby boys remember the pain when they are older. It may be traumatic at the time, but I won't buy for a second anyone that claims that the trauma haunts the boys when they are older. My daughter had two massive surgeries that needed to be done to save her life, the first when she was five days old and the second one at about two and a half months. She remembers NOTHING of these surgeries.

I didn't vote because I didn't see an "I don't really care what families decide to do"

My brothers and me are all snipped because my dad wasn't and had a lot of issues with infections growing up and he didn't want us to go through the same issues. I am indifferent as to his decision because I don't know what my life would have been like without the surgery. My wife and I had it done to our kids more out of my dad's experience and "that's what you do" at the time.

Having it to do all over again, I would probably do more research on the topic. I will advise my children as they are marrying age and will be having children sometime in the next 5 years to do their own research. Seek out the middle ground research, not the hysteria on both sides.

To me, it has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with personal choice and experience, right or wrong as that may be I don't believe there is any "proof" to support either argument.