President Nelson's "Truth number one"

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
friendsofthe
captain of 1,000

President Nelson's "Truth number one"

Post by friendsofthe »

Are you paying close attention to what President Nelson is saying? Did you see the video? Have you considered the implications? Are you prepared?
http://thebridegroomcometh.net/truth-number-one/

GrandMasterB
captain of 1,000

Re: President Nelson's "Truth number one"

Post by GrandMasterB »

friendsofthe wrote: September 30th, 2019, 10:16 am Are you paying close attention to what President Nelson is saying? Did you see the video? Have you considered the implications? Are you prepared?
Wickedness, perversions and violence is also accelerating at an unprecedented rate just as the church is also gearing up for the final scenes. It used to take 10 to 20 years to normalize some immoral behavior and change social norms. Not we are lucky if it takes 1 year to normalize the latest perversions. Crazy times indeed.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

This business about the youth of today having been held in reserve and this generation being valiant and righteous in the pre-existence erc, is exactly what my generation was told 40+ years ago.
I suspect the current youth will make a similar observation when their grandchildren are told the same.

Silas
captain of 1,000

Post by Silas »

Robin Hood wrote: September 30th, 2019, 4:45 pm This business about the youth of today having been held in reserve and this generation being valiant and righteous in the pre-existence erc, is exactly what my generation was told 40+ years ago.
I suspect the current youth will make a similar observation when their grandchildren are told the same.
Are you sure that you aren’t the same generation?

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Is biblical generations 70years?

kgrigio
captain of 100

Post by kgrigio »

I too was told growing up I was of that generation and now my three oldest were the target audience of Pres. Nelson's talk. I don't for a second believe that what I was told was in error. Not a day goes by that I don't talk to and discuss with all my kids, but particularly the three that are newly out of the house (last 3-4 years) of the strength and stamina they must have in order to endure what they will face. I feel the current youth/YSA generation won't be what the Lord wants/needs/expects without my generation living up to our potential and expectation. Potential and expectation the Lord's chosen leaders taught to us.

PressingForward
captain of 100

Post by PressingForward »

My grandmother was told she was the chosen generation, she past away 20 years ago, my mother is in her 80’s, she was told the same, I’m in my 50’s, was told the same, my kids were told the same........soooooo, someone has a mixed up idea of generation........

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

nightlight wrote: September 30th, 2019, 6:08 pm Is biblical generations 70years?
Thought a lot about this awhile ago...

Yes it is about 70 years. Does anyone know why?

I seem to remember the Book of Mormon was the key to God’s definition of a generation.

I think “generation” is made up of several components:
1) fertility... child bearing years.
2) parental direct influence
3) generational overlap
4) waning of first person experience

So the span of fertile childbearing years (back in the biblical day, after the flood) ranges from 14 to 34. About 20 years in which to have a baby.
A baby born early and a baby born 20 years later are in the same generation.

There is about 25 to 30 years of parental influence. Where parents can instill in their offspring mores, traditions, beliefs, habits, etc.

By the time the parents are done with direct influence, they are older and their kids are having babies.

As grandparents in old world style families, the patriarchal influence pretty much carries forward for another ten to twenty years, as part of the immediate family unit. Then the grand parents die. The parents are older and some of the grandkids are now having kids

The next generation is comprised of the kids born of parents who didn’t know their grandparents. Meaning the close family direct influence of grandparents is missing.

The wider separation of generational overlap and influence, the faster a new generation of kids grows up a step or two away from the straight and narrow path the earlier members of the family enjoyed.

As those with first hand experience of significant events (Christ’s Ministry, visit to the Americas after his crucification, Joseph Smith’s restoration, etc) die off, their direct influence carries on for another twenty years and another forty years on top of that as the grandparents kids, and the grandkids all had some generational overlap with early family members who had personal experience.

By the fourth generation, the parents and their kids haven’t had any association with anyone having a first or second person account. That’s when the generations start to sway.

Throw in some outside influences, like a conquering army and new culture brought along with it, and the mooring ropes are cut, and the fourth generation falls fast.

Joseph Smith died in 1844.
People around him lived fairly long lives.
Every president of the church thru the 19th century personally knew Joseph Smith. Every prophet in the 20th century had a parent who knew Joseph Smith.

The old guys in the 15, are the last of the third generation. The younger guys, are of the fourth generation.

As the old guys die off, more younger guys will be brought in.

However generational overlap with parental influence from eye witnesses has been fading fast.

We are of the fourth generation. And the Baby Boomer members of the church have a history of traditions that have held the church steady throughout their lives.

Pretty much the president after the next who succeeds Pres Nelson, is going to have a hard time at the helm of the ship.

The rank and file membership will be diversified and many many new cultures will be joining the church. The policies and appearance of the church will be like nothing we have every dreamt of seeing.

Davka
captain of 1,000

Post by Davka »

JK4Woods wrote: September 30th, 2019, 9:00 pm
nightlight wrote: September 30th, 2019, 6:08 pm Is biblical generations 70years?
Thought a lot about this awhile ago...

Yes it is about 70 years. Does anyone know why?

I seem to remember the Book of Mormon was the key to God’s definition of a generation.

I think “generation” is made up of several components:
1) fertility... child bearing years.
2) parental direct influence
3) generational overlap
4) waning of first person experience

So the span of fertile childbearing years (back in the biblical day, after the flood) ranges from 14 to 34. About 20 years in which to have a baby.
A baby born early and a baby born 20 years later are in the same generation.

There is about 25 to 30 years of parental influence. Where parents can instill in their offspring mores, traditions, beliefs, habits, etc.

By the time the parents are done with direct influence, they are older and their kids are having babies.

As grandparents in old world style families, the patriarchal influence pretty much carries forward for another ten to twenty years, as part of the immediate family unit. Then the grand parents die. The parents are older and some of the grandkids are now having kids

The next generation is comprised of the kids born of parents who didn’t know their grandparents. Meaning the close family direct influence of grandparents is missing.

The wider separation of generational overlap and influence, the faster a new generation of kids grows up a step or two away from the straight and narrow path the earlier members of the family enjoyed.

As those with first hand experience of significant events (Christ’s Ministry, visit to the Americas after his crucification, Joseph Smith’s restoration, etc) die off, their direct influence carries on for another twenty years and another forty years on top of that as the grandparents kids, and the grandkids all had some generational overlap with early family members who had personal experience.

By the fourth generation, the parents and their kids haven’t had any association with anyone having a first or second person account. That’s when the generations start to sway.

Throw in some outside influences, like a conquering army and new culture brought along with it, and the mooring ropes are cut, and the fourth generation falls fast.

Joseph Smith died in 1844.
People around him lived fairly long lives.
Every president of the church thru the 19th century personally knew Joseph Smith. Every prophet in the 20th century had a parent who knew Joseph Smith.

The old guys in the 15, are the last of the third generation. The younger guys, are of the fourth generation.

As the old guys die off, more younger guys will be brought in.

However generational overlap with parental influence from eye witnesses has been fading fast.

We are of the fourth generation. And the Baby Boomer members of the church have a history of traditions that have held the church steady throughout their lives.

Pretty much the president after the next who succeeds Pres Nelson, is going to have a hard time at the helm of the ship.

The rank and file membership will be diversified and many many new cultures will be joining the church. The policies and appearance of the church will be like nothing we have every dreamt of seeing.
This is interesting...reminds me of the ideas from The Fourth Turning.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Robin Hood wrote: September 30th, 2019, 4:45 pm This business about the youth of today having been held in reserve and this generation being valiant and righteous in the pre-existence erc, is exactly what my generation was told 40+ years ago.
I have had this thought many times and for many years.
Maybe it is true every time, and each young generation sells out to Babylon.
Perhaps it will be true when all living generations stop making excuses (I need to focus on my education, I need to concentrate on making a living for my family, I'm too old to make a difference, etc.)

Maybe the church should stop focusing on the youth and forgetting about them after they are 25. Not that they truly forget or ignore, but you can't tell people that they are the generation that the world has been waiting for while they are teenagers and stop reminding them of that after they have served their missions.

I don't know the answer but I feel what you are saying, completely.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Original_Intent wrote: September 30th, 2019, 9:50 pm
Perhaps it will be true when all living generations stop making excuses (I need to focus on my education, I need to concentrate on making a living for my family, I'm too old to make a difference, etc.)

Maybe the church should stop focusing on the youth and forgetting about them after they are 25. Not that they truly forget or ignore, but you can't tell people that they are the generation that the world has been waiting for while they are teenagers and stop reminding them of that after they have served their missions.

It's a motivational technique to try to keep the youth on the path of mission, education, marriage, family, church callings, etc. Tell them how special they are so they have a reason to toe the line. Once they are in their mid-20's they have pretty much set their path, at least for the foreseeable future, and it's time to start motivating the next group of teenagers.

mahalanobis
captain of 1,000

Post by mahalanobis »

I feel bad for all those kids born in the Millennium. "Sorry Jimmy, you weren't faithful enough to be born during all those trials to be a member of our epic army that saved the Constitution. Man, we were awesome! Anyways, the most you could handle is perfect Zion Utopia. We sure love you though!".

On a more serious note: one might argue that the Millennium babies were the spirits that proved themselves sufficiently in the first estate. But if that's the case, then I guess we're not that great after all... I mean, if we didn't make it into that group.

Either way, maybe we should focus less on how special we are and look for God's will concerning us. If He wants me to hand out programs and be a greeter, sounds good to me!

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Mahalanobis Distance wrote: September 30th, 2019, 10:43 pm On a more serious note: one might argue that the Millennium babies were the spirits that proved themselves sufficiently in the first estate. But if that's the case, then I guess we're not that great after all... I mean, if we didn't make it into that group.
If you consider the infant mortality rate throughout history, how many millions (billions?) of these Millennium babies will there be at that day? Afghanistan's current rate is 110 per 1000 live births, so 11%? In the US in the year 1900, children under the age of 4 died at a rate of about 18%. I can only imagine what it was like in the Middle Ages or the BC-era.

People who actually prove themselves worthy of a Zion society through an adult mortal probation should be a tiny minority by those numbers. Kind of changes the whole perspective of it all, doesn't it?

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Lizzy60 wrote: September 30th, 2019, 9:57 pm
Original_Intent wrote: September 30th, 2019, 9:50 pm

It's a motivational technique to try to keep the youth on the path of mission, education, marriage, family, church callings, etc. Tell them how special they are so they have a reason to toe the line. Once they are in their mid-20's they have pretty much set their path, at least for the foreseeable future, and it's time to start motivating the next group of teenagers.
You're not wrong. Be that as it may, whatever manipulative motivations might be behind it, it doesn't mean the message is not true, in fact it only becomes untrue as we don't believe it.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Silas wrote: September 30th, 2019, 5:48 pm
Are you sure that you aren’t the same generation?

Same generation as my grandchildren?.... now that's some party trick!

ladyliberty
captain of 10

Post by ladyliberty »

Important to remember, each generation grew more faithful and more dedicated to keeping the commandments. Each generation had more understanding of the scriptures than the previous. This generation has computers, broadcasts, and scripture referencing. Each generation played a very important part in bringing up the next.
We will see in the next few weeks and months the draining of the swamp and hunting down of the secret combinations. There has been a war being fought behind the scenes, patriots vs the secret combinations. Military intelligence who are still patriots vs the evil secret combinations in the government who have been working for decades to take away our freedoms. Study Ether chapter 8, Ephesians 6:12, and Alma 37.
The gospel can NOT be taken to countries where the secret combinations have control. They hate the gospel. They worship Satan, have control of the mainstream media, and want to keep us their slaves, believing their lies.
They will be exposed by the very tools they developed to enslave and spy on us. The good guys have the evidence to send them all to prison for treason. New good judges have been appointed in important courts, both federal and state, voter fraud exposed, and human trafficking is being stopped, which the secret combinations have made billions from. They are beyond evil. Dark to Light!
Think of the world without the top players in the secret combinations affecting our lives, schools, and country. Will it be easier to spread the truth? I sure hope so!

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

ladyliberty wrote: October 1st, 2019, 2:47 am Important to remember, each generation grew more faithful and more dedicated to keeping the commandments. Each generation had more understanding of the scriptures than the previous. This generation has computers, broadcasts, and scripture referencing. Each generation played a very important part in bringing up the next.
We will see in the next few weeks and months the draining of the swamp and hunting down of the secret combinations. There has been a war being fought behind the scenes, patriots vs the secret combinations. Military intelligence who are still patriots vs the evil secret combinations in the government who have been working for decades to take away our freedoms. Study Ether chapter 8, Ephesians 6:12, and Alma 37.
The gospel can NOT be taken to countries where the secret combinations have control. They hate the gospel. They worship Satan, have control of the mainstream media, and want to keep us their slaves, believing their lies.
They will be exposed by the very tools they developed to enslave and spy on us. The good guys have the evidence to send them all to prison for treason. New good judges have been appointed in important courts, both federal and state, voter fraud exposed, and human trafficking is being stopped, which the secret combinations have made billions from. They are beyond evil. Dark to Light!
Think of the world without the top players in the secret combinations affecting our lives, schools, and country. Will it be easier to spread the truth? I sure hope so!
Awake awake from a nice dream....

mahalanobis
captain of 1,000

Post by mahalanobis »

h_p wrote: September 30th, 2019, 11:35 pm
Mahalanobis Distance wrote: September 30th, 2019, 10:43 pm On a more serious note: one might argue that the Millennium babies were the spirits that proved themselves sufficiently in the first estate. But if that's the case, then I guess we're not that great after all... I mean, if we didn't make it into that group.
If you consider the infant mortality rate throughout history, how many millions (billions?) of these Millennium babies will there be at that day? Afghanistan's current rate is 110 per 1000 live births, so 11%? In the US in the year 1900, children under the age of 4 died at a rate of about 18%. I can only imagine what it was like in the Middle Ages or the BC-era.

People who actually prove themselves worthy of a Zion society through an adult mortal probation should be a tiny minority by those numbers. Kind of changes the whole perspective of it all, doesn't it?
I absolutely agree. My wider point is to not focus on how special we are.
The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed this prayer: ‘I thank you, God, that I am not like other people—cheaters, sinners, adulterers. I’m certainly not like that tax collector!
I'm not accusing you of this attitude. Rather, I had this attitude when I was 16. I thought I was so special to have been born in a whole family, in the US, in the Church, etc. I even recall thinking "I'm so glad I don't have a porn addiction". My thoughts sounded a bit like that Pharisee.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Mahalanobis Distance wrote: October 1st, 2019, 8:36 am I'm not accusing you of this attitude. Rather, I had this attitude when I was 16. I thought I was so special to have been born in a whole family, in the US, in the Church, etc. I even recall thinking "I'm so glad I don't have a porn addiction". My thoughts sounded a bit like that Pharisee.
It actually makes me feel the opposite. Maybe those of us unlucky enough to live into adulthood are the spiritual equivalent of that kid in kindergarten sitting in the back eating the glue. The rest of the folks got it all sussed out in the spirit world, and are patiently waiting on us knuckle-draggers to get it together. Maybe that's why the few who are allowed to see into Heaven aren't allowed to talk about it: it'd make us realize we're the flunkies.

thestock
captain of 1,000

Post by thestock »

GrandMasterB wrote: September 30th, 2019, 3:18 pm
friendsofthe wrote: September 30th, 2019, 10:16 am Are you paying close attention to what President Nelson is saying? Did you see the video? Have you considered the implications? Are you prepared?
Wickedness, perversions and violence is also accelerating at an unprecedented rate just as the church is also gearing up for the final scenes. It used to take 10 to 20 years to normalize some immoral behavior and change social norms. Not we are lucky if it takes 1 year to normalize the latest perversions. Crazy times indeed.
On the flip side, we no longer have clowns in white hoods burning negros by the dozens. We no longer have a dictator that has slaughtered 6 million people of a religious affiliation. Women are now viewed to be more useful than just props for male sexual pleasure and child-bearing. Society has come a long way. Sure we have challenges....but are we really worse off than people were 100, 1000 years ago? I mean, its kind of nice not to die by black death plague if you ask me.

ParticleMan
captain of 100

Post by ParticleMan »

The term generation is too vague. It can be interpreted too widely, spanning scriptural to sociological definitions. It seems erroneous, as has been pointed out, to think that church leaders using this term are referring only to the current selection of children, teenagers, YSAs, or whomever. Perhaps a more accurate term would be dispensation, as in "this generation shall have my word through you [Joseph Smith]" (D&C 5:10).

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

ParticleMan wrote: October 1st, 2019, 2:23 pm
The term generation is too vague. It can be interpreted too widely, spanning scriptural to sociological definitions. It seems erroneous, as has been pointed out, to think that church leaders using this term are referring only to the current selection of children, teenagers, YSAs, or whomever. Perhaps a more accurate term would be dispensation, as in "this generation shall have my word through you [Joseph Smith]" (D&C 5:10).
That's an interesting way of looking at it. Thanks for sharing.

GrandMasterB
captain of 1,000

Post by GrandMasterB »

thestock wrote: October 1st, 2019, 11:39 am
GrandMasterB wrote: September 30th, 2019, 3:18 pm
On the flip side, we no longer have clowns in white hoods burning negros by the dozens. We no longer have a dictator that has slaughtered 6 million people of a religious affiliation. Women are now viewed to be more useful than just props for male sexual pleasure and child-bearing. Society has come a long way. Sure we have challenges....but are we really worse off than people were 100, 1000 years ago? I mean, its kind of nice not to die by black death plague if you ask me.
I think spiritually society is much worse off. You might be better off physically, but there are plenty of people in the world who don't see it that way. When they shall say peace and safety, then sudden destruction comes. There was so much "peace and safety" in Noah's days the people thought nothing could possibly go wrong. The people weren't sick physically (many hundreds of years old), but they were sick spiritually, and this is the same situation we find ourselves as a society in today.

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

Or perhaps one of these generations will live up to what they have been told because they "act as if"

Interesting thought from President Kimball I believe you liked that hints to something like this
“I’ve known people who have been promised in their patriarchal blessings that they would live to see the temple built and some of them are dying and haven’t seen the temple built. Do you know why? In my estimation, the Lord’s time table is directed a good deal by us. We speed up the clock or we slow the hands down and we turn them back by our activities or our procrastinations. And do you know why I think people who are actually promised that they would live to see the temple built are dying before the completion of the temple? Because we haven’t converted the Indians in large enough numbers; never shall we go to Jackson County until we have converted and brought into this church great numbers of Lamanites. Now you just as well set that down as a basic fact.”–From a copy of the December 1963 talk obtained from President Kimball’s secretary as quoted in Book of Mormon Student Manual (Salt Lake City: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 2nd ed., 1981), 427-28

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

drtanner wrote: October 3rd, 2019, 10:57 pm
Or perhaps one of these generations will live up to what they have been told because they "act as if"

Interesting thought from President Kimball I believe you liked that hints to something like this
“I’ve known people who have been promised in their patriarchal blessings that they would live to see the temple built and some of them are dying and haven’t seen the temple built. Do you know why? In my estimation, the Lord’s time table is directed a good deal by us. We speed up the clock or we slow the hands down and we turn them back by our activities or our procrastinations. And do you know why I think people who are actually promised that they would live to see the temple built are dying before the completion of the temple? Because we haven’t converted the Indians in large enough numbers; never shall we go to Jackson County until we have converted and brought into this church great numbers of Lamanites. Now you just as well set that down as a basic fact.”–From a copy of the December 1963 talk obtained from President Kimball’s secretary as quoted in Book of Mormon Student Manual (Salt Lake City: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 2nd ed., 1981), 427-28
We don't have many Lamanites here in England, so it's over to you guys.

The only experience I have was when I visited Cardston for my son's wedding. Cardston is bordered by the Blood tribe reservation. Many Lamanites would hang around town all day doing nothing. Because no alcohol is sold in the town the natives use hairspray to get high. As a result of this and other anti-social behaviour the locals, nearly all LDS, have an extremely negative attitude towards them.
This will have to change, but I don't know how.