Such evil deserves more than jail

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Such evil deserves more than jail

Post by Fiannan »

https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/29/stranger ... -10649368/

Thoughts? What would you give her as a punishment?

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Re: Such evil deserves more than jail

Post by Sunain »

Exodus 21:24
24 Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,

Hosh
captain of 100

Post by Hosh »

38 And behold, it is written, an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth;
39 But I say unto you, that ye shall not resist evil, but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also;
40 And if any man will sue thee at the law and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also;

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Sick and disturbing for sure. She obviously has voices in her head or was on some serious meds/drugs at the time. Either way you honestly can't throw the death penalty at her. (she will plead insanity)

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

kittycat51 wrote: August 29th, 2019, 4:17 pm Sick and disturbing for sure. She obviously has voices in her head or was on some serious meds/drugs at the time. Either way you honestly can't throw the death penalty at her. (she will plead insanity)
Put me in charge and watch me. You're crazy? Here, have a first class ticket to get help directly from the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

She wouldn't suffer, she wouldn't ring up medical and therapy costs, and she certainly would never kill anyone else.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Hosh4710 wrote: August 29th, 2019, 2:26 pm 38 And behold, it is written, an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth;
39 But I say unto you, that ye shall not resist evil, but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also;
40 And if any man will sue thee at the law and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also;
6 But whoso shall aoffend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Hosh4710 wrote: August 29th, 2019, 2:26 pm 38 And behold, it is written, an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth;
Didn't Jesus say drowning of people who harm children is the desired punishment?

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

kittycat51 wrote: August 29th, 2019, 4:17 pm Sick and disturbing for sure. She obviously has voices in her head or was on some serious meds/drugs at the time. Either way you honestly can't throw the death penalty at her. (she will plead insanity)
If a guy did this he would be seen as evil but often when women do this sort of thing the mental health thing comes up?

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

Fiannan wrote: August 29th, 2019, 10:44 pm
If a guy did this he would be seen as evil but often when women do this sort of thing the mental health thing comes up?
I don't think the article speculated on evil or insane.

My initial thought is that women who harm their own children are going against everything humans believe about mothers and figure there must be something off in her mental state to do such a thing. I also believe many insane acts are evil and many evil acts are insane, so the question is where to make the distinction or are they one in the same? Does our legal system have an “evil” clause or is that just a term Christians use?

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

Fiannan wrote: August 29th, 2019, 10:42 pm
Didn't Jesus say drowning of people who harm children is the desired punishment?
Yeah, they would wish to be sent to the bottom of the sea instead of what God actually has in store for them. Probably similar to when it states that people will wish for a rock to fall on them at his coming to avoid facing their judgement.

This is more about peoples wishes to not face the reality of their guilt preferring to not even exist.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

This is more about peoples wishes to not face the reality of their guilt preferring to not even exist.
Where do you get that from that scripture?

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

Fiannan wrote: August 29th, 2019, 11:28 pm
Where do you get that from that scripture?
Its certainly implied (unless someone feels no remorse) from the verse about wishing a rock would fall on them. I related the two scriptures, perhaps they are not similar.

Dave62
destroyer of hopes & dreams

Post by Dave62 »

But hey! It's ok, Britain has very strict gun laws and so it is safe...

abijah
pleb in zion

Post by abijah »

Dave62 wrote: August 30th, 2019, 1:06 am But hey! It's ok, Britain has very strict gun laws and so it is safe...
I think you mean knife laws. Extra safe - no one even gets stabbed in the UK. Totally unheard of.

Dave62
destroyer of hopes & dreams

Post by Dave62 »

abijah wrote: August 30th, 2019, 1:13 am
Dave62 wrote: August 30th, 2019, 1:06 am But hey! It's ok, Britain has very strict gun laws and so it is safe...
I think you mean knife laws. Extra safe - no one even gets stabbed in the UK. Totally unheard of.
I'm sorry, you are right. Nanny will look after you for sure...

abijah
pleb in zion

Post by abijah »

Dave62 wrote: August 30th, 2019, 1:53 amNanny will look after you for sure...
Thankfully my nan was a bad@ss.

Hosh
captain of 100

Post by Hosh »

skmo wrote: August 29th, 2019, 10:10 pm
6 But whoso shall aoffend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.
Do you think this scripture is referring to our judgment or our God's judgment? Christ told us the way to judge others. He literally quoted the eye for an eye passage and said yeah don't do that. All I did was quote the Savior.

Hosh
captain of 100

Post by Hosh »

Fiannan wrote: August 29th, 2019, 10:42 pm
Yeah Jesus totally told US to drown these people. Lol

Hosh
captain of 100

Post by Hosh »

Listen. I'm not advocating that we should let people stab our children and then let them go scot-free. Somebody quoted the scripture of eye for an eye tooth for a tooth foot for foot which is the lesser law. All I did was quote the Savior who quoted the very same scripture and then added to it and said if somebody smites you on the cheek turn and give him the other cheek. And if somebody sues you then let him sue you and give him your coat also.

I think it's telling when a bunch of LDS people who believe they live a higher law readily accept someone who quotes the lesser law and jumps all over someone who posts Christ words stating a higher law.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Speaking of drowning, was it Jesus or Heavenly Father who drowned hundreds of millions of people in the era of Noah?

Hosh
captain of 100

Post by Hosh »

Fiannan wrote: August 30th, 2019, 7:33 am Speaking of drowning, was it Jesus or Heavenly Father who drowned hundreds of millions of people in the era of Noah?
Are you God?

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Are you God?
Are you? If someone breaks into your house to hurt you or a family member, and you pump a few rounds into them, you have committed no sin.

That is in the individual case. In the societal context we need to protect innocent people from dangerous ones. What if the woman had plunged the knife blade deep into the boy's eye and pierced his brain, thus killing him? Then she would be a murderer. Just because a person does something like this, but doesn't actually kill someone, then they should be treated as if they had killed an innocent person. But hey, I would be fair, as the state of Utah is; a person can choose their method of execution.

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

The way I understand it is that God demands justice as the law but the Savior provides a means to mercy by satisfying the law himself. As long as we do as Christ has said and we have a change of heart, we will be required to satisfy the demand of justice ourselves.
Because of this, It should be completely possible for someone who has harmed a child to escape the justice of God (which is worse than drowning in the sea) but that person would have to become a new person.

If the people at Noahs time or the army that chased Moses and his people would have had their change of heart and turned away from their evil ways, they wouldn't have been drowned/destroyed.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

If the people at Noahs time or the army that chased Moses and his people would have had their change of heart and turned away from their evil ways, they wouldn't have been drowned/destroyed.
Are you absolutely sure of this? I mean, in the case of the Egyptian military they were innocent as individuals as they were merely following orders. They may have been good men, but they had the misfortune of being born Egyptians.

Now in the case of Noah's time, can we be sure the masses were even still human in a genetic respect? I mean really, who was he trying to convert? He had hundreds of years and, if we take the account in Genesis literally, he didn't convert anyone. Maybe there was only a limited number of elite who, like Noah, qualified as human. The same may be true of those who take the mark of the beast. Nobody will be forced. And now we are being told of all kinds of wonderful things brain implants will do for us. What if such implants serve to block any of God's inspiration anymore. Will these people still be human in a spiritual sense? Probably not. And so the context of their punishments will be different.

Hosh
captain of 100

Post by Hosh »

Fiannan wrote: August 30th, 2019, 8:09 am
Are you God?
Are you? If someone breaks into your house to hurt you or a family member, and you pump a few rounds into them, you have committed no sin.

That is in the individual case. In the societal context we need to protect innocent people from dangerous ones. What if the woman had plunged the knife blade deep into the boy's eye and pierced his brain, thus killing him? Then she would be a murderer. Just because a person does something like this, but doesn't actually kill someone, then they should be treated as if they had killed an innocent person. But hey, I would be fair, as the state of Utah is; a person can choose their method of execution.
Lol I'm not the one posting videos of sinners and the mentally ill committing heinous acts and asking people what their method of judgement and punishment would be. I simply quoted the savior, which you never addressed.

38 And behold, it is written, an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth;

I find it interesting that you agree with Exodus 21:24 more than this.

I'm not trying to play "holier than thou". In fact when I saw the video last night and how the dad tried to go fight the lady but couldn't because of her knife, I spent the next 20 min in bed envisioning what I would have done if that had been my son or daughter. I finally decided that the best course of action would have been a running flying drop kick to the chest. 😅. But what I do and what I should do are two different things. I believe the easy thing to do, and the most carnally pleasing is to get revenge and to ensure Justice is taken into our own hands. The hard thing that do is exactly what Christ said in 3Nephi 12.

At the very least I thought 3Nephi 12 had every right to be in the discussion if Exodus 21:24 does. At least to consider what the application would be in a scenario like this.
Last edited by Hosh on August 30th, 2019, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.