Did You Have a "Civics" Class in Your School?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.

Did You Have a Civics Course in Any of Your Schools?

Yes, we did.
76%
No, we did not.
24%
We still do In our school.
No votes

Total votes: 17
skmo
captain of 1,000

Did You Have a "Civics" Class in Your School?

Post by skmo »

When I was in Elementary School, I remember one of the courses was called "Civics" and it taught about the government, but it also dealt a lot with the responsibility we each had to do in order to fulfill our part in the community, city, state, and country. By the time I got to Jr. High it was gone. I asked my mother-in-law about it, she remembered civics courses all the way up to her sophomore year.

Of course, in today's "Enlightened" society I'm glad they don't have civics courses, because no doubt they'd teach kids it was their responsibility to learn proper condom use, slavery reparations, drug acceptance, gender reassignment choices, and how to hate all white men.

Were "Civics" part of your education? I don't mean Social Studies or just History, but actual civics.

scottja
captain of 100

Re: Did You Have a "Civics" Class in Your School?

Post by scottja »

Yes in High School in San Jose California early 80s. There I learned and witnessed our representatives being lobbied by special interested, big money, and favors being traded and called in.
It forever tarnished the image I had in my mind about our elected representatives - opening my eyes to the real Babylonian world.
I had held this ideal that representatives were like King Benjamin, donating their own time, and sacrificing their own lives for the good of the community.
When in reality they are selfishly enriching themselves at the expense of the taxpayer.
There are a few representatives that are worthy of the public trust, but not all.