Does RM Nelson just like the lime light more than most?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
thestock
captain of 1,000

Does RM Nelson just like the lime light more than most?

Post by thestock »

Serious question. As far as LDS church Presidents go, I can't remember a single one that seems to adore the spot light more than Russell M. Nelson.

When Hinckley was the prophet, our Church seemed to emerge from the shadows of the Rocky Mountains and become a bit more mainstream. That is to be expected by a guy who spent his entire professional career working in media for the Church. As much as Gordon smiled for those cameras, he seemed to be genuinely motivated by doing the Lord's work and blessing his children all over the Earth. I remember he was filmed helping after a disaster in Honduras. It didnt seem premeditated....just happened to be caught on film mopping up.

Fast forward to today. Nelson seems to genuinely crave the attention of the spotlight. From the moment it was his "his time to shine" he has been doing things that seem to make him popular, whether its announcing revelation to shorten church meetings and consolidate quorums or whether its prancing around the world rubbing elbows with socialite elites like the Pope or the Prime Minister of New Zealand. He isnt so much trying to emerge our church from the Rocky Mountains as it seems he is trying to erase all traces of our history and its connection to those "Mormons".

I hesitate to say this, even on an anonymous internet forum, but I have been feeling a really dark "disturbance in the force" as it were about President Nelson. I think I have concluded that he is motivated by popularity and fame more than standing for truth and establishing the Kingdom of God on the Earth.

I hope I am wrong.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Re: Does RM Nelson just like the lime light more than most?

Post by kittycat51 »

Give me a break.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

thestock wrote: May 21st, 2019, 9:09 am Serious question. As far as LDS church Presidents go, I can't remember a single one that seems to adore the spot light more than Russell M. Nelson.

When Hinckley was the prophet, our Church seemed to emerge from the shadows of the Rocky Mountains and become a bit more mainstream. That is to be expected by a guy who spent his entire professional career working in media for the Church. As much as Gordon smiled for those cameras, he seemed to be genuinely motivated by doing the Lord's work and blessing his children all over the Earth. I remember he was filmed helping after a disaster in Honduras. It didnt seem premeditated....just happened to be caught on film mopping up.

Fast forward to today. Nelson seems to genuinely crave the attention of the spotlight. From the moment it was his "his time to shine" he has been doing things that seem to make him popular, whether its announcing revelation to shorten church meetings and consolidate quorums or whether its prancing around the world rubbing elbows with socialite elites like the Pope or the Prime Minister of New Zealand. He isnt so much trying to emerge our church from the Rocky Mountains as it seems he is trying to erase all traces of our history and its connection to those "Mormons".

I hesitate to say this, even on an anonymous internet forum, but I have been feeling a really dark "disturbance in the force" as it were about President Nelson. I think I have concluded that he is motivated by popularity and fame more than standing for truth and establishing the Kingdom of God on the Earth.

I hope I am wrong.
Nope. In fact I believe the Spirit has told me otherwise.

He is making the rounds to the Saints the world over, strengthening them with a visit from "The Lord's Prophet," before "a prophet of God" is unable to visit them in person.

By visiting them now and creating a more personal connection, they will be able to hear the word of the Lord better in the times to come.

Have you read what he said to the Samoan saints? Things are about to get difficult.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

"I hesitate to say this, even on an anonymous internet forum, but I have been feeling a really dark "disturbance in the force" as it were about President Nelson."

That's interesting. I actually get that same dark disturbing feeling when I read all the whining and complaining and critical remarks and accusatory posts made here on the LDSFF whenever it comes to anything about the restored church of Jesus Christ and its Prophetic leadership. With Pres. Nelson I just get a feeling of gratitude for having the privilege of listening to a living Prophet on earth who reveals the will of the Lord. Different strokes for different folks I guess..

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

Mark wrote: May 21st, 2019, 9:39 am "I hesitate to say this, even on an anonymous internet forum, but I have been feeling a really dark "disturbance in the force" as it were about President Nelson."

That's interesting. I actually get that same dark disturbing feeling when I read all the whining and complaining and critical remarks and accusatory posts made here on the LDSFF whenever it comes to anything about the restored church of Jesus Christ and its Prophetic leadership. With Pres. Nelson I just get a feeling of gratitude for having the privilege of listening to a living Prophet on earth who reveals the will of the Lord. Different strokes for different folks I guess..
That's interesting, your post gave me a dark disturbing feeling. ;)

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

thestock wrote: May 21st, 2019, 9:09 am Serious question. As far as LDS church Presidents go, I can't remember a single one that seems to adore the spot light more than Russell M. Nelson.

I hope I am wrong.
IMO, like everyone else, he has an opinion on the best way to go about things and always planned to do it his way if he had the chance. His opinion all along was likely that the President of the Church should be more public, that the world should be more aware of the President of the Church and his teachings / activities. That's kind of the extent of it for me.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Mark wrote: May 21st, 2019, 9:39 amI actually get that same dark disturbing feeling when I read all the whining and complaining and critical remarks and accusatory posts made here on the LDSFF...
It's strange that someone would willingly spend any time at all in a place (LDSFF) that gives them dark, disturbing feelings. We are counseled by our leaders to avoid places that create such feelings in our spirits.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

EmmaLee wrote: May 21st, 2019, 10:05 am
Mark wrote: May 21st, 2019, 9:39 amI actually get that same dark disturbing feeling when I read all the whining and complaining and critical remarks and accusatory posts made here on the LDSFF...
It's strange that someone would willingly spend any time at all in a place (LDSFF) that gives them dark, disturbing feelings. We are counseled by our leaders to avoid places that create such feelings in our spirits.
A few here actually still like the church they are blessed to belong to and are grateful for its Prophet/Leaders sister. Unfortunately they seem to be getting more rare all the time here. If they ever leave it will just become like every other anti site out there on the web: dark and disturbing and full of venom and hatred.

thestock
captain of 1,000

Post by thestock »

Mark wrote: May 21st, 2019, 10:25 am
A few here actually still like the church they are blessed to belong to and are grateful for its Prophet/Leaders sister. Unfortunately they seem to be getting more rare all the time here. If they ever leave it will just become like every other anti site out there on the web: dark and disturbing and full of venom and hatred.
I am sorry you feel that my post was full of venom and hatred. I actually strongly disagree with that. I have every right to state my opinion, even if it disagrees with yours.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

A few here actually still like the church they are blessed to belong to and are grateful for its Prophet/Leaders sister.
I'm aware of that, brother. But what does that have to do with your comment? You described LDSFF as a place that gives you disturbing feelings of darkness, and I just think it's odd that someone would spend their time in such a place, but to each their own.

Unfortunately they seem to be getting more rare all the time here. If they ever leave it will just become like every other anti site out there on the web: dark and disturbing and full of venom and hatred.
Thank goodness we have the righteous, like yourself, here to make sure that doesn't happen.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

I hope I am wrong.
I have similar concerns, and I hope we are both wrong.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

EmmaLee wrote: May 21st, 2019, 10:56 am
A few here actually still like the church they are blessed to belong to and are grateful for its Prophet/Leaders sister.
I'm aware of that, brother. But what does that have to do with your comment? You described LDSFF as a place that gives you disturbing feelings of darkness, and I just think it's odd that someone would spend their time in such a place, but to each their own.

Unfortunately they seem to be getting more rare all the time here. If they ever leave it will just become like every other anti site out there on the web: dark and disturbing and full of venom and hatred.
Thank goodness we have the righteous, like yourself, here to make sure that doesn't happen.
You've described your own ward in basically the same way but I suspect you still go to church.

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

Robin Hood wrote: May 21st, 2019, 11:09 am

I hope I am wrong.
Are there specific talks or events that brought this on for you? Or your sister?(was it your sister or sister in law?)

thestock
captain of 1,000

Post by thestock »

Robin Hood wrote: May 21st, 2019, 11:09 am

I hope I am wrong.
Its a confusing and slippery slope to be sure. When I look at the current state of things, I see the Church leaders reacting to PR problems the way a corporation would. Members dont like the 2015 "will of the Lord" to not allow baptism of children in homosexual homes? Ok lets reverse it, and also call it "the will of the Lord."

Members are complaining that Church is too long and church callings take too much time? Ok then lets chop off one hour from Church and lets eliminate half of the time members serve in certain callings.

Women in our Church dont like the male-dominated patriarchy culture? Ok then lets just "reveal" a change to the temple ceremony and also start to pander more to some of the feminist issues.

I think my younger and more naive self could buy this as revelation......but the adult and a bit wiser version of myself takes "revelation" very seriously. All of these changes look and feel like policy changes made to preserve an image. They dont look and feel like the Lord is in charge in these cases. I am going to stay in the boat because I made personal covenants with the Lord and I feel a duty to my people.....but I must say, it is getting more and more difficult for me.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

shadow wrote: May 21st, 2019, 11:11 am
EmmaLee wrote: May 21st, 2019, 10:56 am

You've described your own ward in basically the same way but I suspect you still go to church.
Are we not commanded to attend sacrament meeting? Are you and Mark commanded to attend LDSFF?

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

3 Nephi 27:
9 Verily I say unto you, that ye are built upon my gospel; therefore ye shall call whatsoever things ye do call, in my name; therefore if ye call upon the Father, for the church, if it be in my name the Father will hear you;

10 And if it so be that the church is built upon my gospel then will the Father show forth his own works in it.

11 But if it be not built upon my gospel, and is built upon the works of men, or upon the works of the devil, verily I say unto you they have joy in their works for a season, and by and by the end cometh, and they are hewn down and cast into the fire, from whence there is no return.

12 For their works do follow them, for it is because of their works that they are hewn down; therefore remember the things that I have told you.
------------------------------------

Anything in the Church that is the works of men, or the devil, will be cursed. Only the works of the Christ will be blessed.

Was the Nov 15 policy the work of God, or was it a response by the legal teams of the Church to gay marriage being legalized? Only Nelson, at a YSA meeting in Hawaii, claimed that it was revelation.

Was the rescinding of the Nov 15 policy the work of God, or was it in response to many outraged members of the Church?

Was removing some Patriarchal Order aspects of the temple the work of God, or was it in response to many women, over many years, saying that it made them feel inferior or demeaned?

These are important questions, because anything that is not expressly of God, that is done in His name, is as efficacious as doing the devil's work, no matter how well intended, or how well received by the members.

There are commenters at Deseret News saying that Nelson is not acting as a Prophet when he visits world leaders, but he is acting as the leader of a religion. Simply said, when he is not doing the work of a Prophet, he is doing the work of a man, and Christ did not give that any higher level than doing the works of the devil. VERY serious business here.

Believing Joseph
captain of 100

Post by Believing Joseph »

thestock wrote: I think my younger and more naive self could buy this as revelation......but the adult and a bit wiser version of myself takes "revelation" very seriously. All of these changes look and feel like policy changes made to preserve an image. They dont look and feel like the Lord is in charge in these cases. I am going to stay in the boat because I made personal covenants with the Lord and I feel a duty to my people.....but I must say, it is getting more and more difficult for me.
I've had a similar experience growing up. I was a bright and curious child, and used my prodigious powers of reasoning to rationalize and explain away the changes in church doctrine on polygamy, blacks, the word of wisdom, etc.

But eventually, I just gave up. Life is so much easier when you don't tie yourself in knots trying to rationalize what somebody else said or did. My belief in a benevolent and all-powerful God requires me to take a much narrower view of what qualifies as revelation from said God than the average Mormon does.

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

I hope I am wrong.
Samuel the Lamanite stood on top of a wall. Nephi cried to God on his garden tower. Jesus paraded into Jerusalem on a donkey with palm leaves and cheering crowds.

These changes have all been great, imo. More authority is being given to the family, less unnecessary burdens on the members to sustain a LONG church duration, more focus on actually serving people rather than just checking off a predetermined goal.

Jesus' apostles went out to preach and met with dignitaries and political leaders as well. That's kind of his job too. Ammon had massive success winning the heart of King Lamoni AND his Father. Through their leadership, he reached thousands more than if he was just working quietly among the people.

We are the general membership, we should be talking to our neighbors. He's the "President" of the church, he should be talking to other presidents. How do you expect to establish a kingdom when you have no relationship with the other kingdoms around you?

Look, I don't think the man can do no wrong. It wouldn't be hard for me to find things to criticize but I can't get on board with this line of thinking. I do think we need to be careful about judging someone's motivations. I can't remember the last time I heard a church president specifically call for a concerted effort to gather Israel which is key to what should be happening in the latter-days. I think that's probably going to involve some big things happening and building relationships with other nations so they know who we are.

Did you read about his recent visit to Samoa and what members of the prime minister's cabinet had to say:
Tialavea Fea Leniu Tionisio (John) Hunt, Samoa’s minister for revenue/minister of prisons and rehabilitation services, said he enjoyed President Nelson’s message on family because such a focus will make Samoa stronger.

“[If we follow his counsel], I think we will have a peaceful Samoa,” Hunt said. “What the Church of Jesus Christ [of Latter-day Saints] is doing in our country is amazing.”

Hunt, a Catholic, said one’s religious affiliation is irrelevant to learning from President Nelson’s message.

I’m a Catholic, but I know he’s God’s prophet, that he brings peace to us,” Hunt said. “Whatever we do, [Catholics and Latter-day Saints] believe in Jesus Christ, in God, in the Holy Spirit. Hearing [President Nelson has] really filled my heart. I probably am going to use it in my own family, to teach my kids to be brave for what’s going to happen in the future. It’s good that he gave us that warning to help our kids because [our kids are] our future.”

Lealailepule Rimoni Aiafi, Associate Minister of Communications and Information Technology, and a member of Peace Chapel in Samoa (a Pentecostal church) shared similar thoughts.

“I was very interested to attend when I heard the prophet is coming to Samoa,” Aiafi said. “It was good to hear [President Nelson] speak on faith and the challenges we are facing now. As Christians, we are to accept that suffering … will face us at this time. We have to be strong in the faith to know we are to live by faith and depend on God. This will make us stronger people and make us better citizens of the world and also for eternity. It helped me as a leader to listen to such wisdom. I learned a lot.

Samuelu Te’o Atiifale, a Latter-day Saint member of the Samoan Parliament (42 percent of Samoans are Latter-day Saints), said President Nelson’s talk is an important reminder of one’s personal responsibility to strengthen family and community.

“It’s like he’s speaking directly to us in what is exactly happening at the moment in families, in communities and in the government as well,” Atiifale said. “It’s a reminder of our responsibility, so we go back and evaluate ourselves, where we are, and where to improve from here, to be good members and good citizens to others, to our fellow men, to do servicing.”
So was that a waste of his time? If that doesn't count as building the kingdom and standing for truth then what does?

thestock
captain of 1,000

Post by thestock »

5tev3 wrote: May 21st, 2019, 11:59 am

I hope I am wrong.
Samuel the Lamanite stood on top of a wall. Nephi cried to God on his garden tower. Jesus paraded into Jerusalem on a donkey with palm leaves and cheering crowds.

These changes have all been great, imo. More authority is being given to the family, less unnecessary burdens on the members to sustain a LONG church duration, more focus on actually serving people rather than just checking off a predetermined goal.

Jesus' apostles went out to preach and met with dignitaries and political leaders as well. That's kind of his job too. Ammon had massive success winning the heart of King Lamoni AND his Father. Through their leadership, he reached thousands more than if he was just working quietly among the people.

We are the general membership, we should be talking to our neighbors. He's the "President" of the church, he should be talking to other presidents. How do you expect to establish a kingdom when you have no relationship with the other kingdoms around you?

Look, I don't think the man can do no wrong. It wouldn't be hard for me to find things to criticize but I can't get on board with this line of thinking. I do think we need to be careful about judging someone's motivations. I can't remember the last time I heard a church president specifically call for a concerted effort to gather Israel which is key to what should be happening in the latter-days. I think that's probably going to involve some big things happening and building relationships with other nations so they know who we are.

Did you read about his recent visit to Samoa and what members of the prime minister's cabinet had to say:
Tialavea Fea Leniu Tionisio (John) Hunt, Samoa’s minister for revenue/minister of prisons and rehabilitation services, said he enjoyed President Nelson’s message on family because such a focus will make Samoa stronger.

“[If we follow his counsel], I think we will have a peaceful Samoa,” Hunt said. “What the Church of Jesus Christ [of Latter-day Saints] is doing in our country is amazing.”

Hunt, a Catholic, said one’s religious affiliation is irrelevant to learning from President Nelson’s message.

I’m a Catholic, but I know he’s God’s prophet, that he brings peace to us,” Hunt said. “Whatever we do, [Catholics and Latter-day Saints] believe in Jesus Christ, in God, in the Holy Spirit. Hearing [President Nelson has] really filled my heart. I probably am going to use it in my own family, to teach my kids to be brave for what’s going to happen in the future. It’s good that he gave us that warning to help our kids because [our kids are] our future.”

Lealailepule Rimoni Aiafi, Associate Minister of Communications and Information Technology, and a member of Peace Chapel in Samoa (a Pentecostal church) shared similar thoughts.

“I was very interested to attend when I heard the prophet is coming to Samoa,” Aiafi said. “It was good to hear [President Nelson] speak on faith and the challenges we are facing now. As Christians, we are to accept that suffering … will face us at this time. We have to be strong in the faith to know we are to live by faith and depend on God. This will make us stronger people and make us better citizens of the world and also for eternity. It helped me as a leader to listen to such wisdom. I learned a lot.

Samuelu Te’o Atiifale, a Latter-day Saint member of the Samoan Parliament (42 percent of Samoans are Latter-day Saints), said President Nelson’s talk is an important reminder of one’s personal responsibility to strengthen family and community.

“It’s like he’s speaking directly to us in what is exactly happening at the moment in families, in communities and in the government as well,” Atiifale said. “It’s a reminder of our responsibility, so we go back and evaluate ourselves, where we are, and where to improve from here, to be good members and good citizens to others, to our fellow men, to do servicing.”
So was that a waste of his time? If that doesn't count as building the kingdom and standing for truth then what does?
you make good points. Thanks.

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

thestock wrote: May 21st, 2019, 12:17 pm you make good points. Thanks.
Your question is worth asking and thinking about, we have to always be on guard with a watchful eye. The flipside is that we have to be careful that our judgments are just. Thanks for sharing your concerns and listening to the feedback from others.

mtm411
captain of 100

Post by mtm411 »

I really like his stadium tours. So many of us who live outside of Utah get no chance to be in the same room as a prophet. Our children will remember it their whole lives.

EllaJean
captain of 10

Post by EllaJean »

I've studied Zion, The New Jerusalem, the Millennium and the events that will lead up to the second coming for the past 15 years and I see a Prophet who is preparing the world for the second coming of Jesus Christ. With the Come Follow Me program being implemented world wide as a home based gospel centered learning program, I feel he is helping foster Unity across the globe for those who have embraced the changes. During the Millennium there will multiple religions spread across the earth, not just The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Good people exist in all religions and faiths and I have no doubt the Prophet and the apostles recognize that. Because of free agency people will still choose to stay where they are at in regards to their faith and religion. And I also see a prophet who is lovingly strengthening the member's like Peter did for the persecution that will be intensifying. As I've seen the Prophet and Apostles making visits across the globe, I can't help but think of this short video I came across about the building up of Zion.

https://youtu.be/WNQfmKBN2bQ

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

I don't think either Joseph Smith or Brigham Young were exactly what you might call shrinking violets when it came to public attention.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

I like to study the doctrine and covenants. The leaders of the church have always needed council from the Lord. When I read the D&C, I feel like the prophets are learning just like the rest of us, even though they have direct contact with the Lord.

In fact, it teaches us how to discern what is the spirit of truth and what is some other way. It clearly says in D&C 50 that if something does not come from the spirit of truth, then it is by some other way, and we should declare it not of God with a loud voice, though not with railing accusations.

The early church also had financial problems. It's a ship, and God steers it, but that doesn't mean there are no storms or bumpy waves and our faith is needed as much as anything to help things move in the right direction.

We can pray for our leaders to be able to lead us in the right way, to have discernment, and to see the difference between right and wrong.

It is important when things are not in line with the spirit of truth, to not be one of those who uses railing accusations. We all need guidance from the Lord, even our leaders. And we can pray for them to have the Holy Spirit direct them as the Lord wants.

As it is, when the Holy Spirit warns that something is not true, it is imperative to teach the truth and recognize that good fruit comes from a good tree. Someone who wants the truth will be open to being taught and will be humble. Someone who doesn't want the truth will fight it and try to cover it up with lies.

Again, when I read the Doctrine and Covenants, I see repeated warnings to be ware of false doctrines and to be ware of hypocrites and wolves among the sheep. In time, the Lord will expose all, in life or in death.

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

I hope I am wrong.
You are. He craves it about like Samuel the Lamanite did, or Elijah did. No worries. He is doing just what he suppose to be doing so far.