MAJOR MAJOR CHANGES COMING IN THE CHURCH !

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Re: MAJOR MAJOR CHANGES COMING IN THE CHURCH !

Post by Durzan »

thisisspartaaa wrote: October 31st, 2018, 8:12 pm
Durzan wrote: October 31st, 2018, 8:05 pm
thisisspartaaa wrote: October 31st, 2018, 7:53 pm
Durzan wrote: October 31st, 2018, 10:57 am President Nelson is subtly gearing us up for the major and catastrophic events that will come in the near future that will lead up to the establishment of the Kingdom/Republic of Zion.

I dunno that we will see major changes to doctrine during Nelson's time as President of the Church, but we probably will continue to see a cumulation of minor policy shifts that will be significant in nature that will help directly prepare us for the Days of Tribulation, and help sift the wheat from the tares as the time of the Gentiles comes to an end.
Why does every change have to be met with speculation about some major catastrophe on the horizon?

Literally every Prophet since the restoration has been involved with preparing for the Second Coming. People need to stop being so dramatic.
Haven't you read the Old Testament, the New Testament, or the Book of Mormon? Drama is one of the Lord's middle names. Sooner or later, at least one major catastrophe will happen, and when it does, well... that is when you will know that the Lord will start preaching his own sermons. During those times, you can bet that the rulers of the world will be in their own bunkers wishing that the rocks would fall upon them to hide them from the face of the Lord.
I don't see how we get from 2 hour church + ministering = ZOMG EVERYTHING IS GOING TO HIT THE FAN!!!!

1914 - 1945 was worse than what we are living right now.
Its less "2 hour church + ministering = ZOMG EVERYTHING IS GOING TO HIT THE FAN!!!!..." and more recognizing the fact that there are stuff prophesied to happen in the future that quite frankly haven't happened yet. While these changes in and of themselves aren't exactly alarming, they do point to the ramping up of major Pre-Second Coming calamities and events. If you look closely at what President Nelson and the other Apostles have been saying over the past few conferences, you start to see that what they are saying lines up with this fact. Same with the changes to church policies.

When President Nelson and a couple of the Apostles said something along the lines of "that there would come a day when we would not be able to survive the coming calamities without the spirit," I felt a darn chill go up my spine. In the last conference, I heard it hammered over and over again that we are nearing the end of the Times of the Gentiles. Put all these facts together, and any believing member with a lick of common sense who's been paying attention would be at least a little on edge, and thinking that the Brethren are subtly preparing for something major...

Now, that doesn't mean that these things are gonna hit the fan all at once, that tomorrow we will see a sudden huge spike in earthquakes and hurricanes... or that a zombie apocalypse will completely out of nowhere (some of it probably will seem so, though). BUT... that doesn't mean that they won't eventually happen according to the Lord's timetable... whether that be tomorrow, in 5 years, or in 50 years. I am just reading what signs I can see, and everything points to the beginning of the Days of Tribulation, even if it takes a while for those events to start picking up steam.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

Fiannan wrote: October 31st, 2018, 10:54 am You know what full restoration would entail, right?

Yes men, take your vitamins.
Especially to help the brain.

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

Juliet wrote: October 31st, 2018, 8:27 pm
Fiannan wrote: October 31st, 2018, 10:54 am You know what full restoration would entail, right?

You don't really think that would help, do you? :-)

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

Rand wrote: October 31st, 2018, 8:45 pm
Juliet wrote: October 31st, 2018, 8:27 pm

You don't really think that would help, do you? :-)
Oh, it's badly needed ;)

thisisspartaaa
captain of 100

Post by thisisspartaaa »

Durzan wrote: October 31st, 2018, 8:21 pm
thisisspartaaa wrote: October 31st, 2018, 7:53 pm

Why does every change have to be met with speculation about some major catastrophe on the horizon?

Literally every Prophet since the restoration has been involved with preparing for the Second Coming. People need to stop being so dramatic.
Haven't you read the Old Testament, the New Testament, or the Book of Mormon? Drama is one of the Lord's middle names. Sooner or later, at least one major catastrophe will happen, and when it does, well... that is when you will know that the Lord will start preaching his own sermons. During those times, you can bet that the rulers of the world will be in their own bunkers wishing that the rocks would fall upon them to hide them from the face of the Lord.
I don't see how we get from 2 hour church + ministering = ZOMG EVERYTHING IS GOING TO HIT THE FAN!!!!

Its less "2 hour church + ministering = ZOMG EVERYTHING IS GOING TO HIT THE FAN!!!!..." and more recognizing the fact that there are stuff prophesied to happen in the future that quite frankly haven't happened yet. While these changes in and of themselves aren't exactly alarming, they do point to the ramping up of major Pre-Second Coming calamities and events. If you look closely at what President Nelson and the other Apostles have been saying over the past few conferences, you start to see that what they are saying lines up with this fact. Same with the changes to church policies.

When President Nelson and a couple of the Apostles said something along the lines of "that there would come a day when we would not be able to survive the coming calamities without the spirit," I felt a darn chill go up my spine. In the last conference, I heard it hammered over and over again that we are nearing the end of the Times of the Gentiles. Put all these facts together, and any believing member with a lick of common sense who's been paying attention would be at least a little on edge, and thinking that the Brethren are subtly preparing for something major...

Now, that doesn't mean that these things are gonna hit the fan all at once, that tomorrow we will see a sudden huge spike in earthquakes and hurricanes... or that a zombie apocalypse will completely out of nowhere (some of it probably will seem so, though). BUT... that doesn't mean that they won't eventually happen according to the Lord's timetable... whether that be tomorrow, in 5 years, or in 50 years. I am just reading what signs I can see, and everything points to the beginning of the Days of Tribulation, even if it takes a while for those events to start picking up steam.
Who is arguing that these things aren't going to happen? Certainly not me.

It's the over dramatic response to quotes of Church leadership that is annoying and dangerous. I can easily replace your quote about surviving calamities without the spirit with something another Church leader said many many many years ago. Here's one from 1975 from Boyd K. Packer:
I do not doubt that we are sailing into troubled waters. There are storms to ride out; there are reefs and shoals to negotiate ere we reach port. But we have been through them before and have found safe passage. ‘… the heavens shall be darkened, and a veil of darkness shall cover the earth; the heavens shall shake, and also the earth; and great tribulation shall be among the children of men, but my people will I preserve.’ (Moses 7:61.) ‘Steady as she goes.’ Our craft has weathered storms before. It is seaworthy. What a glorious time to be alive! What a marvelous age to live! Thank the Lord for the privilege of living in an adventuresome day of challenge. There is celestial radar—revelation from God—guiding us. There is an inspired captain, a prophet of God, leading us.
I want to bear witness to you, my young friends, that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is on the right course. It is led by inspiration, and I say to you, to all of us, ‘steady as she goes.’ I bear witness that Jesus is the Christ. The gospel of Jesus Christ is true. It was formulated for strength and direction in stormy times.
If this board existed in 1975 everyone would be freaking out over this. Oh dear...we are sailing into troubled waters!! There must be something RIGHT around the corner!! That's what this forum constantly does...imminent danger - the world is going to end any minute.

And yet the world goes on. I've been aware of these boards since 2008. Every single conference or major change like an election and this board literally freaks out.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

thisisspartaaa wrote: October 31st, 2018, 10:06 pm
Durzan wrote: October 31st, 2018, 8:21 pm

Who is arguing that these things aren't going to happen? Certainly not me.

It's the over dramatic response to quotes of Church leadership that is annoying and dangerous. I can easily replace your quote about surviving calamities without the spirit with something another Church leader said many many many years ago. Here's one from 1975 from Boyd K. Packer:
I do not doubt that we are sailing into troubled waters. There are storms to ride out; there are reefs and shoals to negotiate ere we reach port. But we have been through them before and have found safe passage. ‘… the heavens shall be darkened, and a veil of darkness shall cover the earth; the heavens shall shake, and also the earth; and great tribulation shall be among the children of men, but my people will I preserve.’ (Moses 7:61.) ‘Steady as she goes.’ Our craft has weathered storms before. It is seaworthy. What a glorious time to be alive! What a marvelous age to live! Thank the Lord for the privilege of living in an adventuresome day of challenge. There is celestial radar—revelation from God—guiding us. There is an inspired captain, a prophet of God, leading us.
I want to bear witness to you, my young friends, that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is on the right course. It is led by inspiration, and I say to you, to all of us, ‘steady as she goes.’ I bear witness that Jesus is the Christ. The gospel of Jesus Christ is true. It was formulated for strength and direction in stormy times.
If this board existed in 1975 everyone would be freaking out over this. Oh dear...we are sailing into troubled waters!! There must be something RIGHT around the corner!! That's what this forum constantly does...imminent danger - the world is going to end any minute.

And yet the world goes on. I've been aware of these boards since 2008. Every single conference or major change like an election and this board literally freaks out.
While I have noticed to what you’re referring, it is not just this forum that engages in Heaven’s reward fallacy. The church is named after it. Then again, with all of the name changes, who knows... ;)
Spoiler

dusty55
Hi, I'm new.

Post by dusty55 »

MMbelieve wrote: September 23rd, 2018, 6:57 pm
mgridle1 wrote: September 23rd, 2018, 6:14 pm
Chip wrote: September 23rd, 2018, 6:01 pm Reinstituting polygamy...

Now, that would be rapturous.

I don't think it's even within the scope of remote possibility. That would be quite a way for the church to shoot itself in the foot, all across the world. I think that will never happen, in any parallel universe, ever.
Well, if things get bad enough with lower birthrates, men dropping out of the Church, etc. you never know . . .maybe women might demand it come back :o. Isn't there a scripture about the last days that 7 women will take hold of one man and demand he take away her reproach????

In seriousness, I agree that's not within the remote possibility right now.
Well, with marriage (possibly) not being a church thing anymore and only doing sealings, we could technically reinstate polygamy and do all kind's of sealings with zero attachment to marriage on this earth. Of course it would only be sealings so no acting or living polygamous.

We also could seal women to many husbands to really get the family of God tight knit.
Women can already be sealed to more than one husband. That was new Church policy back in 1987.

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

And yet again, welcome back Dusty.
dusty55 wrote: May 12th, 2019, 12:59 pm

I don't think it's even within the scope of remote possibility. That would be quite a way for the church to shoot itself in the foot, all across the world. I think that will never happen, in any parallel universe, ever.
Well, if things get bad enough with lower birthrates, men dropping out of the Church, etc. you never know . . .maybe women might demand it come back :o. Isn't there a scripture about the last days that 7 women will take hold of one man and demand he take away her reproach????

Well, with marriage (possibly) not being a church thing anymore and only doing sealings, we could technically reinstate polygamy and do all kind's of sealings with zero attachment to marriage on this earth. Of course it would only be sealings so no acting or living polygamous.

We also could seal women to many husbands to really get the family of God tight knit.
Women can already be sealed to more than one husband. That was new Church policy back in 1987.
Source? Because the only policy that I know of that allows women to be sealed to multiple husbands takes effect only after all parties involved are deceased.

Also, this thread has been dead since the end of October. Thread necroing is something that should be done with prudence and purpose. Why zombify it just to comment on one specific and minor tangent?

tdj
captain of 1,000

Post by tdj »

When I went to seal to my husband just a few years ago, one of the first things that was asked, was if I had been sealed to another husband before. They told me they needed to know so they could remove THAT sealing so that I could seal to my current husband. So if women could be sealed to more then one man since 1987, then why was I told that at MY sealing?

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

tdj wrote: May 12th, 2019, 1:59 pm

When I went to seal to my husband just a few years ago, one of the first things that was asked, was if I had been sealed to another husband before. They told me they needed to know so they could remove THAT sealing so that I could seal to my current husband. So if women could be sealed to more then one man since 1987, then why was I told that at MY sealing?
Women are only sealed to more than one man after they are deceased, and she had more than one husband during her life. If the woman is alive (like you) she chooses who she is sealed to. If proxy work is being done, that is when more than one husband is sealed to her, since she isn't alive to say who her choice would be.

It still isn't equitable. Men can be sealed to more than one woman while he is alive, but a woman cannot. Also, we teach that a man may have those multiple wives in the eternities, but a woman will be with only one husband, regardless of how many are sealed to her after she dies.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Lizzy60 wrote: May 12th, 2019, 2:03 pm It still isn't equitable.
Can't speak for other men, but I'd rather not be married to more than one woman in eternity. Multiple wives means multiple mothers in law.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

iWriteStuff wrote: May 12th, 2019, 2:33 pm
Can't speak for other men, but I'd rather not be married to more than one woman in eternity. Multiple wives means multiple mothers in law.
Lol
Reading this while at my mother-in-laws house

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. So far, it does not feel in any way like a snowstorm.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

harakim wrote: May 13th, 2019, 2:27 pm Thanks for resurrecting this thread. So far, it does not feel in any way like a snowstorm.
Barely a flurry.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Robin Hood wrote: May 14th, 2019, 12:49 pm
harakim wrote: May 13th, 2019, 2:27 pm Thanks for resurrecting this thread. So far, it does not feel in any way like a snowstorm.
Barely a flurry.
Gotta go slow for those who can't handle change.
dusting.jpg
dusting.jpg (5.62 KiB) Viewed 855 times

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

shadow wrote: May 14th, 2019, 1:06 pm
Robin Hood wrote: May 14th, 2019, 12:49 pm
Barely a flurry.
Gotta go slow for those who can't handle change.

dusting.jpg
You got to ease into it like an old man into a nice warm bath - no offence.

onefour1
captain of 1,000

Post by onefour1 »

To the Samoan Saints, President Nelson has said:

"President Nelson stood at a podium on a stage constructed for Saturday night’s event and warned about Bible and Book of Mormon prophesies of persecution of those willing to bear the name of Jesus Christ."

“This Church, when restored in its fulness, will prepare the world for the coming of the Lord,” but not before Christ’s followers are persecuted, he said.

“Church members in the Samoan Islands will not be immune from being persecuted,” he said, warning them to “prepare to be persecuted, even every day,” and telling them they have a solemn duty to prepare for it.

“Please protect your families from the deception you will see in your future,” he said. “That’s why we are all busily engaged in this work. We have to fortify our people against attacks of the adversary.”

He told them not to become discouraged. He said God will provide them with revelation, strength, and the ability to judge right from wrong.

See full article at https://www.lds.org/church/news/preside ... y?lang=eng

onefour1
captain of 1,000

Post by onefour1 »

Another problem I believe may be upon us is famine. It has been predicted by John L. Casey that we will go into a sun hybernation which will cause the earth to cool down until around the year 2031 and then it will start to come up again. This could have a devestating impact on our crops as well as cause many earthquakes. Watch the video "The Cold Sun"

Famines and pesecution would probably cause great changes in how we do things in the church to help one another survive.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

onefour1 wrote: May 22nd, 2019, 9:48 pm Another problem I believe may be upon us is famine. It has been predicted by John L. Casey that we will go into a sun hybernation which will cause the earth to cool down until around the year 2031 and then it will start to come up again. This could have a devestating impact on our crops as well as cause many earthquakes. Watch the video "The Cold Sun"

Famines and pesecution would probably cause great changes in how we do things in the church to help one another survive.
I believe there are four things going to happen soon: famine, plague, economic depression, and political upheaval. In spite of that, things will keep moving forward both for good and evil. One of the biggest dangers I see on the horizon, where people think they will find safety from these events, will come in the form of adopting new technologies that are at odds with the gospel.

The time will come when it will feel like leaving the Garden of Eden for the lone and dreary world, but we will really be leaving Babylon for Zion.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

In the eternities maybe you can marry them too. They will be as young as everyone else.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Fiannan wrote: May 23rd, 2019, 12:24 am
In the eternities maybe you can marry them too. They will be as young as everyone else.
Thanks, but hard pass.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

Well that’s...creepy.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

gkearney wrote: May 23rd, 2019, 6:14 am
Well that’s...creepy.
I was watching a program dealing with the future. I believe there was one segment in which it showed a wedding party and either the bride or groom was 200 years old while the other was young; both looked the same age. Point was, when science cures aging then it will completely change the way we operate at every level of society. What do you think it was like in the age of Noah? How many generations away could a person marry a member of their family? A great-grandmother might have been able to marry her great-grandson. Their bodies would be at the same age. Maybe in that era people all appeared as a 25 year-old until they were many hundreds of years old. In the eternities I would assume it would be that way too. For all you know your present wife might be millions of years older than you if you take the pre-existence into account.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

Fiannan wrote: May 23rd, 2019, 9:45 am
gkearney wrote: May 23rd, 2019, 6:14 am

Well that’s...creepy.
I was watching a program dealing with the future. I believe there was one segment in which it showed a wedding party and either the bride or groom was 200 years old while the other was young; both looked the same age. Point was, when science cures aging then it will completely change the way we operate at every level of society. What do you think it was like in the age of Noah? How many generations away could a person marry a member of their family? A great-grandmother might have been able to marry her great-grandson. Their bodies would be at the same age. Maybe in that era people all appeared as a 25 year-old until they were many hundreds of years old. In the eternities I would assume it would be that way too. For all you know your present wife might be millions of years older than you if you take the pre-existence into account.
It's not the ages that I find creepy it is the idea of being married to both my wife and her mother. The dynamics of mother/daughter relationships is not something I would want to be in the middle of as a spouse to both of them.