New insights from this forum

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
justme
captain of 1,000

New insights from this forum

Post by justme »

First I apologize beforehand if any of this sounds snarky or judgemental or sounds like a personal attack that is not my intent.

Just a little about myself to set context. I am a lifetime member or over 50 years and family has been in church for 11 generations since 1831. I served a mission, sealed with kids and grandkids, been through graduate school at Provo, and live in an almost entirely LDS community. I thought I knew the church well until I happened onto this forum.

Among the people and colleagues that I deal with I know no Trump supporters and no anti vaxers. I had not heard of the call out, I had never heard of a belief in MMP, never heard of the davidic servant. I don't know anyone who believes the lost ten tribes really are isolated someplace waiting to return, most everyone I know believes in evolution and an ancient earth and some degree of climate change. I thought that the common consensus for BOM geography was a spatially limited mesoamerican theory. I had never heard of energy healing. All of this is new to me.

What has been your experience?

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Re: New insights from this forum

Post by Alaris »

My experience is you have to go outside of Sunday School to discover folks' deep beliefs. I don't believe in evolution, I do believe God is 100 % in control of the climate, and I do believe the 10 tribes are isolated and waiting to return. How isolated? I don't know, but I suspect Russia / Siberia. You should turn this into a poll and list out these beliefs and have folks vote one what they believe (some form of evolution vs no evolution etc.)

I am a heartland model believer just as the early saints were. :)

I'm not sure what energy healing is but I do believe women can have the gift to heal whatever you want to call it.

As if I needed to state this, I do believe in a Davidic Servant just as Joseph Smith and the early saints clearly believed as well as MMP that is also a documented teaching of the early church no matter how much that fact angers folks.

justme
captain of 1,000

Post by justme »

Alaris wrote: ↑March 29th, 2019, 3:03 pm My experience is you have to go outside of Sunday School to discover folks' deep beliefs. I don't believe in evolution, I do believe God is 100 % in control of the climate, and I do believe the 10 tribes are isolated and waiting to return. How isolated? I don't know, but I suspect Russia / Siberia. You should turn this into a poll and list out these beliefs and have folks vote one what they believe (some form of evolution vs no evolution etc.)

I am a heartland model believer just as the early saints were. :)

I'm not sure what energy healing is but I do believe women can have the gift to heal whatever you want to call it.

As if I needed to state this, I do believe in a Davidic Servant just as Joseph Smith and the early saints clearly believed as well as MMP that is also a documented teaching of the early church no matter how much that fact angers folks.
Thanks for your reply and insights. I have always appreciated how you thoughtfully conduct yourself here, though I obviously don't see eye to eye on everything.

I recently read an article about orson whitney's early views on MMP and how he carefully recanted it to the first presidency before being called to the twelve. He said he had a long deep discussion with Lorenzo Snow on the subject. President Snow said he had no personal problems with it and would believe it if the Lord told him it was true, he just hadn't.

tdj
captain of 1,000

Post by tdj »

My husband is a direct descendant of Joseph Smith, thru Frederick Smith's line. His family left the church around the time of Alice Smith. My husband , me and our children are the first generation to come back in 4 or 5 generations.

Neither one of us grew up around lds members. I had a classmate that was lds but she was very low key and didn't discuss it. She also never stood out. My husband had a bit more exposure as his dads side of the family had LDS artifact like the lost 116 papers that they passed down thru the years from father to son. Also are some physical items and some potential items if they can be gotten too. Very intriguing stuff that sounds larger then life. But then again, his whole life has been larger then life.

Me, meh, not so much. Had a mormon classmate once and that's about it. We also never heard of some of these things like the called out, UNTIL a few years ago. We went to a called out camp out in Morgan utah during the eclipse. It was interesting, but after a few days, we decided it wasn't for us. Husband went out there to talk and we regret it now, though I had a most amazing spiritual experience in the middle of the night once, when the lights went out and I looked up at the starry sky. SO many stars😊.
Oh and seeing the eclipse from Rexburg, Idaho was nice too.
Last edited by tdj on March 29th, 2019, 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justme
captain of 1,000

Post by justme »

tdj wrote: ↑March 29th, 2019, 3:16 pm My husband is a direct descendant of Joseph Smith, thru Frederick Smith's line. His family left the church around the time of Alice Smith. My husband , me and our children are the first generation to come back in 4 or 5 generations.

Neither one of us grew up around lds members. I had a classmate that was lds but she was very low key and didn't discuss it. She also never stood out. My husband had a bit more exposure as his dads side of the family had LDS artifact like the 116 they passed down thru the years from father to son. Also are some physical items and some potential items if they can be gotten too. Very intriguing stuff that sounds larger then life. But then again, his whole life has been larger then life.

Me, meh, not so much. Had a mormon classmate once and that's about it. We also never heard of some of these things like the called out, UNTIL a few years ago. We went to a called out camp out in Morgan utah during the eclipse. It was interesting, but after a few days, we decided it wasn't for us. Husband went out there to talk and we regret it now, though I had a most amazing spiritual experience in the middle of the night once, when the lights went out and I looked up at the starry sky. SO many stars😊.
Thanks for sharing. Epiphanies can be wonderful.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

justme wrote: ↑March 29th, 2019, 2:54 pm First I apologize beforehand if any of this sounds snarky or judgemental or sounds like a personal attack that is not my intent.

Just a little about myself to set context. I am a lifetime member or over 50 years and family has been in church for 11 generations since 1831. I served a mission, sealed with kids and grandkids, been through graduate school at Provo, and live in an almost entirely LDS community. I thought I knew the church well until I happened onto this forum.

Among the people and colleagues that I deal with I know no Trump supporters and no anti vaxers. I had not heard of the call out, I had never heard of a belief in MMP, never heard of the davidic servant. I don't know anyone who believes the lost ten tribes really are isolated someplace waiting to return, most everyone I know believes in evolution and an ancient earth and some degree of climate change. I thought that the common consensus for BOM geography was a spatially limited mesoamerican theory. I had never heard of energy healing. All of this is new to me.

Welcome to the rabbit hole. Don't venture in too far. 8-)

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

One thing your going to find here is that there is no consensus here at all.

I'm a liberal labor Democrat, I can't stand Trump, I don't vote for or support fascist. That said I am likely the most liberal, politically, poster you are likely going to find on these forums. I try to prove that not everyone on the "left" are a bunch of screaming abortion promoting homosexuals that some here would have you believe.

I am perfectly willing to believe that evolution was the means by which God created life on this earth. I believe the earth and life on it is millions of years old and that the Hebrew telling of Adam and Eve are allegorical in nature and not literal. I think the climate is controlled by physical laws which God himself understands perfectly and which even he must live by. The same is true for the movements of the planets and stars and other physical manifestations of the universe. God is not a magician nor does he conspire to confuse his children by deliberately making the world and the universe incomprehensible to them.

I think that the ten tribes are scattered across the world's population but I do not think they live in a hollow earth, on the sun or any other such fanciful place. I do not think there will ever be a call out, such is the creation of a frenzied imagination of a few people some of whom have been taken advantage of by those seeking to make a quick buck. (Priestcraft anyone?)

I think that vaccines, like all medicines, can have negative effects on some small number of person they are given to but on the whole they protect us from diseases that have tormented man for millennia.

There is no common consensus as to the geography of the Book of Mormon and proposal run the gambit from limited to hemispheric geographies and even those that are not placed in the Americas at all. In the end where or how the events took place is not as important as the lessons we can take from the book itself.

Energy healing is the belief that the body has an energy field which can be manipulated to improve mental and physical health by means of another. (the practitioner) It has it origins in east asian traditional medical practices. It has become fashionable in some circles of late both with in and outside of the Church. It is a sort of "New Age" practice. So long as one does not rely on it exclusively in time of medical need I see little harm in it.

By the way I am 61 years old a member of a family that bridges across the two main branches of the restoration (LDS and RLDS) I grew up in Maine an Atlantic Canada and have lived and worked around the world including Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Mtaylasia, Canada, South Africa, Denmark, the Netherland, and Sweden.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

tdj wrote: ↑March 29th, 2019, 3:16 pm We went to a called out camp out in Morgan utah during the eclipse.
You travel fast! 8-)

tdj
captain of 1,000

Post by tdj »

shadow wrote: ↑March 29th, 2019, 3:39 pm
tdj wrote: ↑March 29th, 2019, 3:16 pm We went to a called out camp out in Morgan utah during the eclipse.
You travel fast! 8-)
Oh yeah, correction: it was during the TIME of the eclipse. When I talk about it, I tend to lump the week of the eclipse into the statement, "during the eclipse". It was neat, but honestly had we to do it over, I think Yellowstone would have been the ultimate eclipse experience. We chose Rexburg, because a super nice couple offered us lodging and it was at the very center of the eclipse. The sky gave off a strange color I'll never forget.
I should add that afterwards, when we tried to take off to GO to Yellowstone, the highways were jammed packed. We were so far from home and so close to Yellowstone, and we couldn't goπŸ˜”.
Last edited by tdj on March 29th, 2019, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EdGoble
captain of 1,000

Post by EdGoble »

justme wrote: ↑March 29th, 2019, 2:54 pm First I apologize beforehand if any of this sounds snarky or judgemental or sounds like a personal attack that is not my intent.

You will hear proponents of these theories being among the most vociferous and vocal among us here. But I can promise you that there are many among us that prefer Mesoamerica, that believe in the Old Earth, that believe in some form of Transhumanism, that believe in Evolution, that do not believe in energy healing or the Heartland Book of Mormon Geography theory, or who subscribe to Anti-Vaxer movement.

I sort of mostly favor evolution but to call it a belief is a stretch, because I remain open to changing my mind at the drop of a hat on anything. I favor Mesoamerica (but with a New York Cumorah for the destruction in Mormon 6). I favor a dispersion for the Lost Ten Tribes, with a pocket of the "main body" in what is known as Kurdistan where they were taken captive in the first place, but where they never left and were absorbed. While Mesoamerica is a common consensus for BOM Geography among elite scholars, many regular members believe in the Heartland Geography. You will find a mix of beliefs here. Heartland proponents are by no means the majority here I think, especially when you take into account the lurkers.

I think the anti-Vaxer movement is bunk, and believe it is actually a sin not to have your children vaccinated and you end up being the cause of their death or if they are incapacitated in some terrible way by preventable disease.

Most of us are extremely skeptical of MMP, and wonder why it is promoted so much by certain factions on this message board. Most of us believe in some sort of davidic servant, but beliefs differ wildly. Most here are not supporters of Denver Snuffer.

I recommend being extremely skeptical of the popular theories among the loudest and vocal on this board. There are many among us here that constantly try to push back against some of that stuff. I did for a long time, but I just don't have time for this anymore. I might get on here once in a week or two and reply to a few things that stand out. I used to be real vocal and condemnatory of things that I thought were especially heretical like MMP and speaking evil of the Lord's anointed. But I have calmed down a lot because not only do I not have the time. I just recognize that people have free agency and I have to let them live and believe as they wish and I can't be their salvation if they are doing something that endangers their eternal reward. I used to be a crusader against some of this stuff. But in the end, I pipe up once in a while and say something, but I don't condemn as much as I used to. I have ended up making friends with a lot of the people that I disagree with strongly here.
Last edited by EdGoble on March 29th, 2019, 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tdj
captain of 1,000

Post by tdj »

EdGoble wrote: ↑March 29th, 2019, 3:52 pm

You will hear proponents of these theories being among the most vociferous and vocal among us here. But I can promise you that there are many among us that prefer Mesoamerica, that believe in the Old Earth, that believe in some form of Transhumanism, that believe in Evolution, that do not believe in energy healing or the Heartland Book of Mormon Geography theory, or who subscribe to Anti-Vaxer movement.

I sort of mostly favor evolution but to call it a belief is a stretch. I favor Mesoamerica (but with a New York Cumorah for the destruction in Mormon 6). I favor a dispersion for the Lost Ten Tribes, with a pocket of the "main body" in what is known as Kurdistan where they were taken captive in the first place, but where they never left and were absorbed. While Mesoamerica is a common consensus for BOM Geography among elite scholars, many regular members believe in the Heartland Geography. You will find a mix of beliefs here. Heartland proponents are by no means the majority here I think, especially when you take into account the lurkers.

I think the anti-Vaxer movement is bunk, and believe it is actually a sin not to have your children vaccinated and you end up being the cause of their death or if they are incapacitated in some terrible way by preventable disease.

Most of us are extremely skeptical of MMP, and wonder why it is promoted so much by certain factions on this message board. Most of us believe in some sort of davidic servant, but beliefs differ wildly. Most here are not supporters of Denver Snuffer.
You might be right on it being a sin NOT to vaccinate your kids. But honestly, I know quite a few unvaccinated people since childhood who are perfectly healthy. Though what's ironic is they weren't exposed to many these lethal diseases BECAUSE of all the other kids that were vaccinated. And the vaccinated kid's health aren't threatened by the non vaxxers because, well, they're VACCINATED.

However, I also don't think it's a sin at all if the parent decides that the vaccination schedule is too robust for such tiny bodies and decides to reschedule when and how much at one time their child gets vaccinated. I happen to think it's a good idea to spread them out a bit more then they are in early childhood. I've said it before that I wish I waited until a year or two before my kids started school to vaccinate. I don't think waiting until they are 2 or 3 is unreasonable at all.

EdGoble
captain of 1,000

Post by EdGoble »

tdj wrote: ↑March 29th, 2019, 4:00 pm You might be right on it being a sin NOT to vaccinate your kids. But honestly, I know quite a few unvaccinated people since childhood who are perfectly healthy. Though what's ironic is they weren't exposed to many these lethal diseases BECAUSE of all the other kids that were vaccinated. And the vaccinated kid's health aren't threatened by the non vaxxers because, well, they're VACCINATED.

However, I also don't think it's a sin at all if the parent decides that the vaccination schedule is too robust for such tiny bodies and decides to reschedule when and how much at one time their child gets vaccinated. I happen to think it's a good idea to spread them out a bit more then they are in early childhood. I've said it before that I wish I waited until a year or two before my kids started school to vaccinate. I don't think waiting until they are 2 or 3 is unreasonable at all.
I think your position is reasonable, and is not extreme.
I take issue with extreme anti-Vaxxers.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

I would be interested in knowing if those who are pro-vaccine have had healthy kids after using the normal vaccine schedule in the last ten years. Most mothers I talk to; like me, believed in them until our kid got sick by it in which case we were triggered to research further.

justme
captain of 1,000

Post by justme »

Juliet wrote: ↑March 29th, 2019, 4:26 pm I would be interested in knowing if those who are pro-vaccine have had healthy kids after using the normal vaccine schedule in the last ten years. Most mothers I talk to; like me, believed in them until our kid got sick by it in which case we were triggered to research further.
My kids aren't within the 10 year window you give, but no problems with my grandchildren. Nor have I heard of any problems with my nephews and nieces or great nephews and nieces.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

EdGoble wrote: ↑March 29th, 2019, 3:52 pm

I sort of mostly favor evolution but to call it a belief is a stretch, because I remain open to changing my mind at the drop of a hat on anything. I favor Mesoamerica (but with a New York Cumorah for the destruction in Mormon 6). I favor a dispersion for the Lost Ten Tribes, with a pocket of the "main body" in what is known as Kurdistan where they were taken captive in the first place, but where they never left and were absorbed. While Mesoamerica is a common consensus for BOM Geography among elite scholars, many regular members believe in the Heartland Geography. You will find a mix of beliefs here. Heartland proponents are by no means the majority here I think, especially when you take into account the lurkers.

I recommend being extremely skeptical of the popular theories among the loudest and vocal on this board. There are many among us here that constantly try to push back against some of that stuff. I did for a long time, but I just don't have time for this anymore. I might get on here once in a week or two and reply to a few things that stand out. I used to be real vocal and condemnatory of things that I thought were especially heretical like MMP and speaking evil of the Lord's anointed. But I have calmed down a lot because not only do I not have the time. I just recognize that people have free agency and I have to let them live and believe as they wish and I can't be their salvation if they are doing something that endangers their eternal reward. I used to be a crusader against some of this stuff. But in the end, I pipe up once in a while and say something, but I don't condemn as much as I used to. I have ended up making friends with a lot of the people that I disagree with strongly here.
Sounds like you've taken some steps in the right direction EdGoble. Good on you

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

There are many on this board who taken the warnings of Ether 8:22-26 very seriously concerning what we call 'latter day gadiantons'. Much 'proof' is offered here for their 'hidden agendas' and for monitoring their 'progress'.

Earlier the forum was a major clearing house for evidence that the official story of 9/11 is false in terms of what really happened (buildings brought down w/emplaced explosives) and who the actual higher level perpetrators were (not al Kaeda).

Leading the charge in providing information having to do w/what actually brought the WTC buildings down on 9/11, was Dr. Steven Jones, formerly a physics professor at BYU. He still comes on the forum, from time-to-time.

So, many here, including me, have a strong conspiratorial bent . . . . in the original meaning of the term, not the meaning adopted over the last 40-50 years since the Kennedy assassination, where it is now used as a term of approbrium and ridicule.

Davka
captain of 1,000

Post by Davka »

larsenb wrote: ↑March 29th, 2019, 4:49 pm There are many on this board who taken the warnings of Ether 8:22-26 very seriously concerning what we call 'latter day gadiantons'. Much 'proof' is offered here for their 'hidden agendas' and for monitoring their 'progress'.

Earlier the forum was a major clearing house for evidence that the official story of 9/11 is false in terms of what really happened (buildings brought down w/emplaced explosives) and who the actual higher level perpetrators were (not al Kaeda).

Leading the charge in providing information having to do w/what actually brought the WTC buildings down on 9/11, was Dr. Steven Jones, formerly a physics professor at BYU. He still comes on the forum, from time-to-time.

So, many here, including me, have a strong conspiratorial bent . . . . in the original meaning of the term, not the meaning adopted over the last 40-50 years since the Kennedy assassination, where it is now used as a term of approbrium and ridicule.
Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure it was a search for alternative 9/11 info that first brought me here 7 or 8 years ago...

I agree with you, at least for me personally, my understanding of BOM Gadianton themes drives my opinion on most comtemporary political/social issues, events and people.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

I should say that many on this board (certainly not all) recognize the above-ground, public rubric for this higher level conspiracy as 'political globalism', with its push toward high-level, top-down control, open borders, doing away w/nation state, out-of-control politically correct requirements for speech and any number of other controversial topics, etc., etc.

You say you don't know anyone in favor of Trump; for people such as me, Trump did the world a favor by 'outing' the topic of globalism. This topic can no longer be ignored and pushed out-of-sight, but is now subject to the light of scrutiny all over the world.
Last edited by larsenb on March 29th, 2019, 5:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

Juliet wrote: ↑March 29th, 2019, 4:26 pm I would be interested in knowing if those who are pro-vaccine have had healthy kids after using the normal vaccine schedule in the last ten years. Most mothers I talk to; like me, believed in them until our kid got sick by it in which case we were triggered to research further.
My children all have received the standard vaccines. They are all healthy.

Vision
captain of 1,000

Post by Vision »

Justme are you really Mitt Romney? He has to be the only guy that knows no Trump supporters.

justme
captain of 1,000

Post by justme »

Vision wrote: ↑March 29th, 2019, 5:23 pm

Justme are you really Mitt Romney? He has to be the only guy that knows no Trump supporters.
Ha no. I hear rumors of others that have to deal with uncles at family dinners that support Trump. But all the water cooler talk at my office is absolutely anti trump. We day dream of impeachment, or at least count the days till the next election. There might be some others in the office with secret unspoken views but I haven't heard any. And the political makeup is probably 95 percent republican and 100 percent lds.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

This forum has been a place where, if I put aside what I think I know, I can learn more than I thought possible. It has definitely been a great help to me in my life's work, which I have pretty much just started.

Vision
captain of 1,000

Post by Vision »

justme wrote: ↑March 29th, 2019, 6:13 pm

Ha no. I hear rumors of others that have to deal with uncles at family dinners that support Trump. But all the water cooler talk at my office is absolutely anti trump. We day dream of impeachment, or at least count the days till the next election. There might be some others in the office with secret unspoken views but I haven't heard any. And the political makeup is probably 95 percent republican and 100 percent lds.
I'm sorry you work in such a sterile environment. Where do you work the Republican party office in Provo Utah?

justme
captain of 1,000

Post by justme »

Vision wrote: ↑March 29th, 2019, 9:51 pm
justme wrote: ↑March 29th, 2019, 6:13 pm

I'm sorry you work in such a sterile environment. Where do you work the Republican party office in Provo Utah?
Ha, no we are not quite that diverse.

The Airbender
captain of 1,000

Post by The Airbender »

Ha, those are all my favorite topics and I am the complete opposite of most of your community, except I do believe in the mesoamerican model, I think the Heartlanders are chasing another group of people.

I practice 'energy healing', I believe the earth is quite young, as in 13,000 or so years old. I believe the Lost Tribes are going to come back in a great body, or maybe a few great bodies. Evolution is not a thing, says me. Not a fan of Trump. I think he is an evil man just out to stir up trouble and not effect any real positive change, at least not net positive. MMP, that's my favorite topic! Vaccinations? Evil. Pure. Plain. Evil. They involve balaam and the sacrifice of children (fetuses) and cause all kinds of autoimmune problems, (allergic to your own brain, anyone?) I'm certainly waiting for the Davidic servant to set things in order. I'm just preparing my heart for Zion and long for the day when we can live the fullness of the gospel without any exceptions of missing parts.

You can see why I don't enjoy Sunday school much and why TBM and I don't have many conversations.