Unusual things said in Patriarchal Blessings

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Unusual things said in Patriarchal Blessings

Post by JohnnyL »

Dusty52 wrote: January 26th, 2019, 3:43 am I have one comment in my blessing which ive never understood:
"Your future wife is preparing herself as of now through her deliberations in the church"
I married a non-member!
Does that mean I've married the wrong person?
Maybe, maybe not, and as of now--it doesn't matter, right?!
Was she thinking about the church when you got your blessing?

Dusty52
captain of 100

Post by Dusty52 »

I guess not she would of been 11 at the time of my p/b

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

" Study the Constitution of The United States of America. Learn of it so you may be able to defend it, for it was divinely instituted here so that the Gospel might be restored in these latter days. We must defend this Constitution and keep it from being undermined and destroyed, that our religious liberties may remain in tact".

Dusty52
captain of 100

Post by Dusty52 »

Relevance??
I've got enough to study the Magna Carta, (1215)
over 500 years before the 1787 constitution!
Why have you posted the same post again? Your first one was on 15/1/2019?
Why the obsession with the constitution?

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Dusty52 wrote: January 26th, 2019, 11:07 am Relevance??
I've got enough to study the Magna Carta, (1215)
over 500 years before the 1787 constitution!
Why have you posted the same post again? Your first one was on 15/1/2019?
Why the obsession with the constitution?
Because lundbaek knows what he is talking about. He is one of the oldest members on this site and has seen many things transpire in his lifetime. With age comes wisdom!

Dusty52
captain of 100

Post by Dusty52 »

He may be old and wise but how does the post about the constitution connect to a patriarchal blessing?

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

Dusty52 wrote: January 27th, 2019, 1:42 am He may be old and wise but how does the post about the constitution connect to a patriarchal blessing?
I believe that is a direct quote from his PB dusty.

Dusty52
captain of 100

Post by Dusty52 »

Oh I see thanks for the clarification

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

That quote was not from mine. But I am aware of several PBs that have similar statements. And y'know what. Last I knew, a few years ago, not one of the recipients had taken the prescribed action.

I don't have such a statement in my PB. But I don't need such. Certain statements in D&C Sections 98, 101, & 109 and by Presidents McKay, Clark, Benson, and others are enuf for me.

SwissMrs&Pitchfire
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by SwissMrs&Pitchfire »

I think that the other side of the veil is also this life and much will come to pass there including missions and temple work etc...

Many patriarchs use common wording in most if not all of their blessings which can be regarded as perhaps wise counsel but not divine revelation. Many people also have the experience of receiving the blessing in person and being struck by specific things that don't make it into the final draft for whatever reason the patriarch has (maybe he can't understand his own recording or revelation and his attempts at clarification denude it). Also patriarchs like prophets are not to be deified and they do not receive revelation in perfection and then communicate it in perfection.

In another thread I mentioned a sister missionary that knew her mission call was in error and several posters denigrated her for that, but I never felt that way. We should treat personal revelation as personal and be more true to it than to the errors of the mouthpiece that happened to be assigned.

There are many people in the church that force blessings and many that arrogantly think they can clarify the Lord's communications. It isn't a mortal sin but it does hinder purity.

My PB was an interesting experience that still has me baffled. I remember things that didn't make it into my blessing and there are things that everybody that went to that patriarch got in their blessing as well. One such bit was for me however a very personal and direct revelation that changed my life in the most profound way possible while for another it was fluff. There was very very specific stuff about my mission. I got my PB right before my mission and was not one of those people that was doing stuff I shouldn't have so I can see no reason for the "blessing" to not occur. It is very very specific about things that didn't happen. When they started not happening on my mission I actually laughed because I knew better, but nothing I did could change reality and the error had nothing to do with me. I'm honestly not convinced that I was even in the right mission, but I was never the kind to question.

God speaks to everybody and if we listened better we wouldn't need patriarchs. I think it is far more telling that only Noah heard what the Lord was telling everybody on Earth than that Noah did. You want revelation constantly? Position yourself inline with the constant stream of it. If you are not receiving it, it is because you are not in line with it. Many inventors have invented/discovered the same thing at the same time (or very close) with no communication with each other. It is called simultaneous invention/multiple discovery. Worship absolute truth and open your mind to the possibilities and listen.

XEmilyX
captain of 1,000

Post by XEmilyX »

Mine says lots of things and when it seems impossible, I work SOOOO hard to become the person to be able to do what it says. I created MIRACLES to be able to have what my blessing says I can accomplish.
And the stuff that has been said actually happened.

Dusty52
captain of 100

Post by Dusty52 »

SwissMrs&Pitchfire wrote: January 27th, 2019, 12:29 pm I think that the other side of the veil is also this life and much will come to pass there including missions and temple work etc...

Many patriarchs use common wording in most if not all of their blessings which can be regarded as perhaps wise counsel but not divine revelation. Many people also have the experience of receiving the blessing in person and being struck by specific things that don't make it into the final draft for whatever reason the patriarch has (maybe he can't understand his own recording or revelation and his attempts at clarification denude it). Also patriarchs like prophets are not to be deified and they do not receive revelation in perfection and then communicate it in perfection.

In another thread I mentioned a sister missionary that knew her mission call was in error and several posters denigrated her for that, but I never felt that way. We should treat personal revelation as personal and be more true to it than to the errors of the mouthpiece that happened to be assigned.

There are many people in the church that force blessings and many that arrogantly think they can clarify the Lord's communications. It isn't a mortal sin but it does hinder purity.

My PB was an interesting experience that still has me baffled. I remember things that didn't make it into my blessing and there are things that everybody that went to that patriarch got in their blessing as well. One such bit was for me however a very personal and direct revelation that changed my life in the most profound way possible while for another it was fluff. There was very very specific stuff about my mission. I got my PB right before my mission and was not one of those people that was doing stuff I shouldn't have so I can see no reason for the "blessing" to not occur. It is very very specific about things that didn't happen. When they started not happening on my mission I actually laughed because I knew better, but nothing I did could change reality and the error had nothing to do with me. I'm honestly not convinced that I was even in the right mission, but I was never the kind to question.

God speaks to everybody and if we listened better we wouldn't need patriarchs. I think it is far more telling that only Noah heard what the Lord was telling everybody on Earth than that Noah did. You want revelation constantly? Position yourself inline with the constant stream of it. If you are not receiving it, it is because you are not in line with it. Many inventors have invented/discovered the same thing at the same time (or very close) with no communication with each other. It is called simultaneous invention/multiple discovery. Worship absolute truth and open your mind to the possibilities and listen.
I like your post, well worth reading
Like to hear more of what you've got to say on different issues!

SwissMrs&Pitchfire
Level 34 Illuminated

Dusty52 wrote: January 15th, 2019, 8:41 am
marc wrote: January 15th, 2019, 8:25 am It means the patriarch was wrong.
How can he be wrong if he Is the mouthpiece for God?
If he's wrong in one thing he could be wrong in other things, where do you draw the line?
It draws into question every thing he says surely!
That is why we are taught to question and confirm everything from what we know and the Spirit. Far too many people deify the brethren (and then there are those that refuse to follow them because they aren't perfect). We should follow them in the capacities they serve and obey them while confirming for ourselves the reasons why (because it helps us grow) yet not because they are good or even right about any of it! Truman G. Madsen taught that Abraham was dragged up that hill not to prove to God what he was willing to sacrifice, but to prove it to himself. I don't care if President Nelson leads me on a new Zion's Camp because my reason for going is not his reason for taking me. I go because I am asked (ultimately by God). We should find a parable in all this: https://www.lds.org/ensign/2005/06/jose ... p?lang=eng "The trek became a time when some increased in their faith and loyalty, while others struggled and lost their faith."

rimbauer.peter
captain of 100

Post by rimbauer.peter »

passionflower wrote: January 15th, 2019, 7:24 pm I am a book collector, and once, in a second hand store, while looking in the book dept I came across,of all things, some LDS scriptures as a large quad. Of course I opened it up, enjoying the scriptural underlining of the former owner and all his comments in the margin. Then suddenly, lo and behold, I found a PB folded up in the back. Of course, I read it and it was several pages long typed in fine print on both sides.

I stood there, leaning against the bookcase utterly and completely enthralled by what I read. Time stood still and it seemed as if somewhere angels were singing

I guessed that the owner, a man, was now deceased, and his totally inactive and disrespectful children just threw his stuff into a pile and sold it to this store, not caring a thing about it, although I hoped it might have been a careless accident, and they didn't realize what they did.

Anyway, this PB went into great detail about the premortal existence, like everything you ever wanted to know. Reading this seriously enlightened me on the record in Abraham. About the guy, he had a very impressive premortal life. WOW. Like he was actually on the council of the Gods, a hero in standing by Jehovah as the Son of God, and had a great deal of Priesthood authority before coming to earth. Who he was, his importance and high place among the Gods before he came to this earth was just amazing I mean just AMAZING to read about and just thoroughly wonderful. Before this guy was born, he was seriously reeking with glory. Holy Cow.

It was a long blessing, like I said, going on and on in this manner. But when you got to the last page and the last paragraph, you got to see why he was told all this stuff about himself and the premortal life.

As far as his mortal life, he was blessed with absolutely nothing. Not health, long life, a temple marraige, righteous posterity or blessings of the earth and no spiritual gifts or church leadership positions. You name the list of usual suspects, and they were all absent. There were no warnings, or encouragements either. He was basically told he would be a nobody on the earth and would have nothing to distinguish him, but would have enough to eat if he always shared what he had with others. He was to read the scriptures often, he would serve a mission and he would have children. This was all very short, to the point, and ended with a kind of a nothing more than "see you in the resurrection, til then, hang in there".

This changed the way I viewed everyone in the church and just turned me upside down. I also realized what a blessing it really was for someone with such a track record in the 1st estate to be placed in such humble circumstances. He was really protected from so many things of the world. I once had a SP tell me that he thought the greatest spirits were not the ones in the visible leadership positions but the nobodies on the ward level who don't stand out and are never missed when they move.

My own PB is very short and typed in large print, and it repeats itself over and over again. Nothing like this guys.
Thank you so much for sharing this marvelous story. It is truly inspiring! Is there a chance you could go into some more details about this PB you came across?
Patriarchal blessings are to be studied with faith - not doubting anything - and pondered about. Only then will the light of the Holy Ghost make the blessing clear for us.
I am not sure whether it is unusual or not, but once I heard a member share some of his PB. His faith was likened to Abraham's.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Some people serve more than one mission, have more than one spouse, have children in more than one way...

I was told I would serve in one area, then when some things in the mission happened, I didn't. Okay.

I have read some patriarchal blessings (from a long time ago) and they sound like a typical blessing, not much "special" in them that I could see.

I've seen patriarchs nail it, time and time again, with complete strangers.

I've seen where people thought patriarchs completely missed it, but had no idea how far off they were.

One stake president spoke how he was giving a talk and "phased out" of conscious thought as he was doing it, as he was busy thinking about what worried and bothered him. Afterwards a girl told him how he had literally quoted her PB (and more than a sentence or two).

They do have training, they do have things to do, they aren't perfect, but oh what blessings they are the mouthpieces of!

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

rimbauer.peter wrote: January 27th, 2019, 3:48 pm
passionflower wrote: January 15th, 2019, 7:24 pm I am a book collector, and once, in a second hand store, while looking in the book dept I came across,of all things, some LDS scriptures as a large quad. Of course I opened it up, enjoying the scriptural underlining of the former owner and all his comments in the margin. Then suddenly, lo and behold, I found a PB folded up in the back. Of course, I read it and it was several pages long typed in fine print on both sides.

I stood there, leaning against the bookcase utterly and completely enthralled by what I read. Time stood still and it seemed as if somewhere angels were singing

I guessed that the owner, a man, was now deceased, and his totally inactive and disrespectful children just threw his stuff into a pile and sold it to this store, not caring a thing about it, although I hoped it might have been a careless accident, and they didn't realize what they did.

Anyway, this PB went into great detail about the premortal existence, like everything you ever wanted to know. Reading this seriously enlightened me on the record in Abraham. About the guy, he had a very impressive premortal life. WOW. Like he was actually on the council of the Gods, a hero in standing by Jehovah as the Son of God, and had a great deal of Priesthood authority before coming to earth. Who he was, his importance and high place among the Gods before he came to this earth was just amazing I mean just AMAZING to read about and just thoroughly wonderful. Before this guy was born, he was seriously reeking with glory. Holy Cow.

It was a long blessing, like I said, going on and on in this manner. But when you got to the last page and the last paragraph, you got to see why he was told all this stuff about himself and the premortal life.

As far as his mortal life, he was blessed with absolutely nothing. Not health, long life, a temple marraige, righteous posterity or blessings of the earth and no spiritual gifts or church leadership positions. You name the list of usual suspects, and they were all absent. There were no warnings, or encouragements either. He was basically told he would be a nobody on the earth and would have nothing to distinguish him, but would have enough to eat if he always shared what he had with others. He was to read the scriptures often, he would serve a mission and he would have children. This was all very short, to the point, and ended with a kind of a nothing more than "see you in the resurrection, til then, hang in there".

This changed the way I viewed everyone in the church and just turned me upside down. I also realized what a blessing it really was for someone with such a track record in the 1st estate to be placed in such humble circumstances. He was really protected from so many things of the world. I once had a SP tell me that he thought the greatest spirits were not the ones in the visible leadership positions but the nobodies on the ward level who don't stand out and are never missed when they move.

My own PB is very short and typed in large print, and it repeats itself over and over again. Nothing like this guys.
Thank you so much for sharing this marvelous story. It is truly inspiring! Is there a chance you could go into some more details about this PB you came across?
Patriarchal blessings are to be studied with faith - not doubting anything - and pondered about. Only then will the light of the Holy Ghost make the blessing clear for us.
I am not sure whether it is unusual or not, but once I heard a member share some of his PB. His faith was likened to Abraham's.
Thank you very much for your interest. But this is one of those instances where I can see why the Prophet Joseph Smith said that if he revealed everything he knew to the Saints, they would try to kill him.

Truly, though, the Plan of Salvation as we know it is just a small portion of what there is to know concerning it. Imagine HF standing up in front of the Council of the Gods and writing all the "before the foundation of the world" stuff on a blackboard, including the Plan of Salvation. What we know as a church today would merely be one tiny part of what was on that board. So much remains to be revealed. With just a few more pieces of the puzzle the picture can almost entirely change from what you thought it was or what you thought it should be. The average Joe church member is not prepared for that whole picture. And especially the world at large is not. Lot's of false notions exist in the church because they "explain" it all, comfort people, or are hung onto by those who want to be more of a law unto themselves than they ought to be. You have to just really commit to loving the truth, loving the Lord and be on the side of establishing HIS righteousness and not your own, and instead have a mind and heart that deeply ponders and weighs the solemnities of eternity and submits him/herself to them with no questions asked.

The most impressive thing about the PB I found was the contrast from the guys' premortal life to the one he lived in mortality. This changed the way I saw everyone. It was a real humbling game changer for me. If we could remember our premortal life, we would very very likely be surprised at who was doing what here on this earth and who wasn't, and in the wisdom of God who had what blessings and who didn't. Very VERY SURPRISED!!! :o :shock:

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

I've experienced two promises come to fulfillment in my patriarchal blessing (must be doing something right despite what some think of me here lol) that came about completely differently than I expected. I'd be happy to share in a PM as they are pearlsy. I just figured I'd post this in case anyone is struggling with theirs.

John Tavner
captain of 1,000

Post by John Tavner »

I know of a few blessings where women were blessed incredibly including with blessings that are extremely common among men in the church today. I also know of others where the sealing power was actually used in the blessing. The church approach is definitely much different than it is now. Even the way that PB's are given are different. I will say that personally it is good to know that what some people received in a PB was not written down. I thought for years maybe I just misheard when I couldn't find it in my PB, but maybe it was actually stated, the Patriarch just didn't include it or clarified it differently. Anyways food for thought.

SwissMrs&Pitchfire
Level 34 Illuminated

I don't know how many of you have gotten patriarchal blessings for deceased relatives on LDS.org but they are a good place to look and judge.

I was just reading a blessing of somebody I never knew but feel like I know fairly well and something struck me as interesting. The person in question lived a questionable life in certain ways and yet the blessing does not really change much knowing that. In fact one admonition if he had headed (to marry and associate in the faith) would have assured that his entire family (5 of his 6 children) never came (he married a non-member after divorcing his first wife whom he married a month after she was baptized met and married them both while in training for the Army in different states though not at the same time). As is so often the case the greatest work he performed was that of patriarch. The things fulfilled in his blessing (like serving in WWII) did not mean that he was what everybody would call a saint. Rather they were things that didn't preclude him progressing in eternity as he hit the marks he needed to (baptism, confirmation, endowment, sealing, priesthood) and since repentance works he's okay.

None of which is meant to be a passive agressive comment directed in response to Alaris but rather a point of clarification regarding the topic at hand. Some promises are conditional on obedience and all obedience is still human obedience, which is a far cry from perfect obedience. I'm still not sure what I think about apostates who have had their calling and election made sure. On one hand a promise is a promise and it doesn't mean anything if it doesn't mean what it says and on the other hand everything is subject to God's correction.

evejaa
captain of 50

Post by evejaa »

brianj wrote: January 15th, 2019, 10:24 pm
Emaya wrote: January 14th, 2019, 10:14 pm I'm just recently remarried and my new husband's states his voice will be heard in the capitals of the world. I'm a little nervous to see how that's going to play out.
Wow, that's interesting.

The only thing my PB says that could be unique is that I have work to do that nobody else can do. Since I feel like I have done very little of significance in the church or world I really wonder what this is or if I didn't already blow the chance to do this work.

To the OP: did you follow the council to read D&C 138? If so, you will recall there was a grand meeting in the Spirit World where the spirits of the faithful dead waited for the advent of the Savior. But that's not all: we are told that many of the great leaders of the church prior to this vision were also present. I strongly believe that all of us were present there.
In most of our blessings if it says "you have a work to do, that nobody else can do", or something like unto this phrase or verbiage, it means genealogy!

The word "work" is the key. God tells us, His "work" and His glory is to bring to pass the eternal life of man. The "no one else can do it" part, is meant to say to you, "save your ancestors who are dead". Now I know a lot of people work on lines of genealogy, but the Spirit tells me, as I too have this verbiage in my PB, that the "no one else can do it" means the true bonding and eternal connecting of our lineage is given to you or in other words, they are looking to you, God is looking to you, to make sure all the info and people are found. For you to assist in this work. Even if you don't do the actual baptism, initiatory, endowment and sealing, You have been assigned the opportunity to gather, check and organize the information.

It does matter your part and your willingness to be part of the "work".

evejaa
captain of 50

Post by evejaa »

passionflower wrote: January 28th, 2019, 2:59 pm
rimbauer.peter wrote: January 27th, 2019, 3:48 pm

Thank you very much for your interest. But this is one of those instances where I can see why the Prophet Joseph Smith said that if he revealed everything he knew to the Saints, they would try to kill him.

Truly, though, the Plan of Salvation as we know it is just a small portion of what there is to know concerning it. Imagine HF standing up in front of the Council of the Gods and writing all the "before the foundation of the world" stuff on a blackboard, including the Plan of Salvation. What we know as a church today would merely be one tiny part of what was on that board. So much remains to be revealed. With just a few more pieces of the puzzle the picture can almost entirely change from what you thought it was or what you thought it should be. The average Joe church member is not prepared for that whole picture. And especially the world at large is not. Lot's of false notions exist in the church because they "explain" it all, comfort people, or are hung onto by those who want to be more of a law unto themselves than they ought to be. You have to just really commit to loving the truth, loving the Lord and be on the side of establishing HIS righteousness and not your own, and instead have a mind and heart that deeply ponders and weighs the solemnities of eternity and submits him/herself to them with no questions asked.

The most impressive thing about the PB I found was the contrast from the guys' premortal life to the one he lived in mortality. This changed the way I saw everyone. It was a real humbling game changer for me. If we could remember our premortal life, we would very very likely be surprised at who was doing what here on this earth and who wasn't, and in the wisdom of God who had what blessings and who didn't. Very VERY SURPRISED!!! :o :shock:
Maybe Passionflower, and I am just guessing because I didn't read this PB you are sharing. Maybe his life wasn't bad. Maybe his life was good and he was a humble righteous man who didn't need warnings or direction. Maybe he was reward in small part with this premortal information so he could seal his first estate achievements with his second estate achievements. Maybe you found this information not by accident but by design. Maybe you needed more understanding or connection to the reality of our premortal existence. Tells us, do you believe what you read to be truth? Can you believe some of those same experiences you were also a part of?
I know I have been given a small drop of my premortal life...a very, very small part, and yet I am more connected because of my knowing I lived before I was born.

If anyone here is asking you for more info, it is because we all want more clarity on this great premortal event we all participate in.

John Tavner
captain of 1,000

Post by John Tavner »

evejaa wrote: January 31st, 2019, 2:04 am
Emaya wrote: January 14th, 2019, 10:14 pm I'm just recently remarried and my new husband's states his voice will be heard in the capitals of the world. I'm a little nervous to see how that's going to play out.
Wow, that's interesting.

The only thing my PB says that could be unique is that I have work to do that nobody else can do. Since I feel like I have done very little of significance in the church or world I really wonder what this is or if I didn't already blow the chance to do this work.

To the OP: did you follow the council to read D&C 138? If so, you will recall there was a grand meeting in the Spirit World where the spirits of the faithful dead waited for the advent of the Savior. But that's not all: we are told that many of the great leaders of the church prior to this vision were also present. I strongly believe that all of us were present there.
In most of our blessings if it says "you have a work to do, that nobody else can do", or something like unto this phrase or verbiage, it means genealogy!

The word "work" is the key. God tells us, His "work" and His glory is to bring to pass the eternal life of man. The "no one else can do it" part, is meant to say to you, "save your ancestors who are dead". Now I know a lot of people work on lines of genealogy, but the Spirit tells me, as I too have this verbiage in my PB, that the "no one else can do it" means the true bonding and eternal connecting of our lineage is given to you or in other words, they are looking to you, God is looking to you, to make sure all the info and people are found. For you to assist in this work. Even if you don't do the actual baptism, initiatory, endowment and sealing, You have been assigned the opportunity to gather, check and organize the information.

Haha, nope mine does not say anything like that as far as I'm aware. It's ok though, not heartbroken :)

SwissMrs&Pitchfire
Level 34 Illuminated

evejaa wrote: January 31st, 2019, 2:04 am
Wow, that's interesting.

Immortality and eternal life of man is brought about by many things. Genealogy is just one of them (and we've taught it and done a lot of it for many years). DNA testing (Autosomal, Mt-DNA, Y-DNA), linking, and triangulation are a great way of accomplishing one part of this work. Missionary work is another. Temple work yet one more (in any capacity). Teaching and rearing your children well still yet another on that long list.

Dusty52
captain of 100

Post by Dusty52 »

It is mind boggling to think every human who have ever been born and ever will be born were all present together in the prexistence and there we all chose which path to take!

Dusty52
captain of 100

Post by Dusty52 »

I think it would be interesting to do a poll on what tribes we all belong to on this forum, can someone set it up?