Home on Maine Island

Do you have something to sell/giveaway? A Business you want to let us know about? Found any good deals? Post them here.
msfreeh
Level 34 Illuminated

Home on Maine Island

Post by msfreeh »

Anyone who has some basic capentry skills
can own this house for $100,000 located
on one of Maine’s most beautiful islands
with daily ferry service
https://knox.villagesoup.com/p/73-east- ... ad/1311530

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Re: Home on Maine Island

Post by Matchmaker »

Retire in Maine! What a fabulous idea. By 2020, it is thought that 1 in 5 people living in Maine will be over 55. Maine is the new Florida, or Arizona, at least in the spring, summer, and fall. I love it there.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Harsh winters. And on the water, harsher.
dc

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

I’ve been to Vinalhaven. This house is not on the water directly. Vinalhaven is one of the Fox islands were Wilford Woodruff converted nearly the whole population. Most never went west however and today the island is mostly RLDS.

nightowl
captain of 100

Post by nightowl »

I heard New Hampshire was the better choice alot of liberty freedom types live there. Like the free state project. But yea the winters are a concern.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

New Hampshire has no sales or income tax but, and this is a big issue there, the property taxes in almost every town in the state are very, very high as most of the services one generally thinks of as being done by the state get shifted down to the towns. This includes things like snow plowing which means as you drive along in the winter some parts of the road are well plowed in one town and not so well plowed in the next town down the road.

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

I agree that property taxes in NH are sky high. Housing is expensive there too. Outside of Portland, York Beach, and Bar Harbor, housing prices are generally lower in Maine than NH. The winters are harsh in both states, but the summers in Maine near the lakes are glorious!