Humor - what's so funny?

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Humor - what's so funny?

Post by Fiannan »

CelestialAngel wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 11:10 pm Bob's Burgers is a really funny show. I recommend checking it out.
Poor Bob.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Have you ever tried gathering about 20 of kids from playing outside?
Even just bringing in a few kids can be a chore - at least for me.
But I realized a great solution.
The other day, at a family reunion, we were unsuccessfully trying to gather all of the kids from various parts outside to come join us for a prayer. Seeing us struggle, my dad let out a loud whistle and instantly all of the kids came coming! Brilliant!

I need to practice a loud whistle!
(First couple minutes: Tim Hawkins: ) https://youtu.be/pXmIWYdMRX0

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Why laughter is important:
1) It helps prevent the #1 cause of death in the US - heart disease. “A 2000 study found that people with heart disease were 40 percent less likely to laugh and be able to recognize humor in a variety of situations, compared to people of the same age without heart disease.”

2) Helps blood vessels. “A link between laughter and healthy function of blood vessels was first reported in 2005 by researchers at the University of Maryland Medical Center with the fact that laughter causes the dilatation of the inner lining of blood vessels, the endothelium, and increases blood flow. Drs. Michael Miller (University of Maryland) and William Fry (Stanford), theorize that beta-endorphin like compounds released by the hypothalamus activate receptors on the endothelial surface to release nitric oxide, thereby resulting in dilation of vessels. Other cardioprotective properties of nitric oxide include reduction of inflammation and decreased platelet aggregation.

3) Reduces stress. “Laughter... has been shown to lead to reductions in stress hormones such as cortisol and epinephrine.” “...scientists report that a robust sense of humor speeds healing and reduces the risk of suicide, depression and heart disease.”
https://m.sfgate.com/opinion/article/Wh ... 556699.php

4) Natural pain relief. “When laughing, the brain also releases endorphins that can relieve some physical pain.

5) Strengthens immune system. “Laughter also boosts the number of antibody-producing cells and enhances the effectiveness of T-cells, leading to a stronger immune system.”

6) Laughter helps your brain. “Neurophysiology indicates that laughter is linked with the activation of the ventromedial prefrontal cortex, that produces endorphins. Scientists have shown that parts of the limbic system are involved in laughter. This system is involved in emotions and helps us with functions necessary for humans' survival. The structures in the limbic system that are involved in laughter are the hippocampus and the amygdala.”
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laughter

7) It’s fun!!

What makes us laugh:
1) Others, especially those we know laughing. “We are thirty times more likely to laugh if we’re with someone else than if we’re on our own, and we’re more likely to “catch” laughter from someone we know than someone we don‘t know.” https://ideas.ted.com/how-scientists-ma ... udy-humor/

2) Incongruity. (Dave Barry: "Never take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.")

3) Shifting point of view (Paul Klee: "A line is a dot that went for a walk.")

4) Revelations of unspoken truth (George Carlin: "Why is it that anyone who drives slower than you is an idiot and anyone who drives faster is a maniac?" )

5) Defusing of anxiety (Rita Rudner: "Those oxygen masks on airplanes? I don't think there's really any oxygen. I think they're just to muffle the screams.").

Bottom line: Laugh more!

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jonesy »

For Spanish speakers. True story. When my buddy was a newbie missionary in Argentina, he was helping in the kitchen while learning some Spanish. The mamita was teaching him how to say tomato.

Mamita: tomate
Him: tomato
Mamita: no, no. Tomate.
Him: tomato
Mamita: no, no, no! Tomate. Te, te, te, tomate!
Him: te, te, te! Te mato!

-everyone stares in silence-
-mamita starts cracking up-

OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Post by OCDMOM »

A man get to the Pearly Gates and sees two lines. The first line has a sign above, Men whose wife was the boss on earth. Lots of Men are in this line. The second line has a sign above, Men who were the boss on earth. One man is in line. So the man who just arrived asks, " why are you standing in this line"? The other man says, "I don't know my wife told me too."

onefour1
captain of 1,000

Post by onefour1 »

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

onefour1 wrote: July 13th, 2018, 11:15 pm Image
He has a hammer and he is 'nailing' the nose cone into place?

I guess I do have to say that is funny. Here is a comic drawer who never heard of rivets?

Funny.
dc

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

David, I think you might like this one (sorry couldn’t find a bigger image)...
=
Calvin:
“When a person pauses in mid sentence to choose a word, that’s the best time to jump in & change the subject!
It’s like an intersection in football! You grab the other guy’s idea & run the opposite way with it!
The more sentences you complete, the higher your score! The idea is to block the other guy’s thoughts & express your own! That’s how you win!

Hobbes:
“Conversations aren’t contests!

Calvin:
“Ok a point for you, but I’m still ahead.”
=

ImageI kind of feel like this explains an unspoken strategy here. :)

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Thinker wrote: August 9th, 2018, 10:10 pm David, I think you might like this one (sorry couldn’t find a bigger image)...
=
Calvin:
“When a person pauses in mid sentence to choose a word, that’s the best time to jump in & change the subject!
It’s like an intersection in football! You grab the other guy’s idea & run the opposite way with it!
The more sentences you complete, the higher your score! The idea is to block the other guy’s thoughts & express your own! That’s how you win!

Hobbes:
“Conversations aren’t contests!

Calvin:
“Ok a point for you, but I’m still ahead.”
=

ImageI kind of feel like this explains an unspoken strategy here. :)

Well, it's a strategy in life, anywhere you go. Ego. That's what people are. What they are all about.

A lot of people are only looking in life to have their ego fed. Thus they seek people who complement them constantly, deserved or not. Sycophants, they are know as. Yes men.

As to your Hobbes paraphrase. It's interception. To catch the ball that was thrown in a pass, intending for one of their team players. But your team catches it.

An intersection is a crossroads.

Why are freeways safer? No crossroads. No cross traffic. Crossroads are where a lot of accidents occur.
dc

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

David, you can be funny! It was my typo - Calvin did state “interception.” Ha ha. My bad. And I do notice others make typos and grammatical errors but if I dwelled on that, I’d miss more important things. It’s similar to criticizing how a job was done rather than appreciating that it was done... or zooming in & focusing on people’s flaws rather than focusing on their strengths. We’re like walking binoculars or microscopes.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Post by diligently seeking »

[youtube]https://youtu.be/4F3TkHRx9xw[/youtube]

Red
captain of 100

Post by Red »

Fiannan wrote: May 18th, 2018, 12:02 pm Image

I hope that’s not too much. If so, the mods will fix it.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Oh, and when in conference, if you’re one of those who listens better doing something, play I spy with 30,000 people - like “Where’s Waldo?” :)

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

I know, death is nothing to laugh about... or is it?

Tim Hawkins: https://youtu.be/YCbQzeTfqSs

Moon1943
captain of 100

Post by Moon1943 »

What kills me every time is when he just stares at Harvey after sticking himself in the forehead with the Novocaine and starts to lose it.

Moon1943
captain of 100

Post by Moon1943 »

Lucy was funny, but Carol Burnett is still funnier! There are certain things in this world that will always be funny. Carol Burnett with the curtain rod sticking out of her shoulders is one of them. Tim Conway destroying Harvey was one of those moments we always looked forward to.

Moon1943
captain of 100

Post by Moon1943 »

if it doesn't say Binford on it, somebody else made it.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

A lesson in using agency wisely.

This is one of my all time favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... w0lr63y4Mw

Edit:
Bob Newhart "Stop It"

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Moon, I love Home Improvement! And I like how Tim Allen stood up for basic truths. I think some people got offended at him suggesting people got too easily offended, or something him being a bigot (intollerance to other opinions) for believing gender is biologically significant.

Michelle wrote: August 27th, 2018, 10:51 am A lesson in using agency wisely.

This is one of my all time favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... w0lr63y4Mw

Edit:
Bob Newhart "Stop It"
:D It’s Papa Elf cutting to the chase!
https://sadderbutwiser.files.wordpress. ... fs-lap.jpg

On that note, here’s a harmonizing one... My kids sometimes shout this to each other - so motivating. ;) I think he’s quoting Pres. Kimball - or was it Nike?
“JUST DO IT!”
https://youtu.be/ZXsQAXx_ao0

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

This made me laugh for a while...
FYI, I’m not a fanatic either for or against Trump, so I’m not posting this for political reasons but more to share the laughter.

This is how I feel when one of my kids barge into our room at 5am looking for something and turn on the bright lights...
https://youtu.be/716CcsXZbE4

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

My wife and I have been married for almost 22 years. After a few of them we got into an argument, not a big one, and she said that I'm always trying to fix her problems. So I told her that's what I thought she wanted me to do when she complained about things to me. We watched this a few years ago and got a laugh out of it because of how true it is-
Truth is funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4EDhdAHrOg

Moon1943
captain of 100

Post by Moon1943 »

uk.jpg
uk.jpg (57.9 KiB) Viewed 15433 times

Moon1943
captain of 100

Post by Moon1943 »