Coca-Cola from Heber J Grant

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Spence
captain of 1,000

Coca-Cola from Heber J Grant

Post by Spence »

Ah, the Coca Cola debate...

Anyways. I have been gathering Conference Talks from when Heber J. Grant was President of the Church into a single file so I can have it to read over the next 7 months, with the intent of perhaps binding it into a book for Christmas gifts. (1918-1945. Flu Pandemic, Great Depression, WWII, FDR, all the fun stuff overseen by one prophet)

While I haven't really started to read much of it and it mostly is copy and paste to a text file. For some reason I stopped to read this passage. Thought it might be interesting to share, for if only fun.
The head of the health department, Dr. Beatty, has requested me to say to the Latter-day Saints that there are more injurious ingredients in coca-cola than there are in coffee, and particularly when some of the good people say: "Give me the double shot." I say to the Latter-day Saints, and it is my right to say it-because you have sung, since this conference started (whether you meant it or not, I am not saying)-

"We thank Thee, O God, for a prophet,

To guide us in these latter days; We thank Thee for sending the gospel

To lighten our minds with its rays; We thank Thee for every blessing

Bestowed by Thy bounteous hand; We feel it a pleasure to serve Thee,

And love to obey Thy command."

Now, if you mean it-I am not going to give any command, but I will ask it as a personal, individual favor to me, to let coca-cola alone. There are plenty of other things you can get at the soda fountains without drinking that which is injurious. The Lord does not want you to use any drug that creates an appetite for itself. -Heber J Grant, April 1921
Looks to be the origin of the Grand Coca Cola debate. :D Noted is that Cocaine was removed in 1903, thus he could only be referring to the caffeinated content which is addictive.

Swan Song
captain of 100

Re: Coca-Cola from Heber J Grant

Post by Swan Song »

Here is more back-up for the idea that Coke (and all cola's for that matter) should be avoided.

Priesthood Bulletin, February. 1972: "With reference to cola drinks, the Church has never officially taken a position on this matter, but the leaders of the Church have advised, and we do now specifically advise, against the use of any drink containing harmful habit-forming drugs under circumstances that would result in acquiring the habit. Any beverage that contains ingredients harmful to the body should be avoided."

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

This doesn't refer to Coke, but to Mtn Dew. In a Priesthood leadership meeting, President (and then member of the Quorum of The Twelve, Elder) Thomas S. Monson began a talk to local Church leaders in the Denver North Region (where I used to live) by bringing up this question. He simply said he wanted to address the issue in a plain and simple way. He pulled out a bottle of Mtn Dew, opened it, and drank it throughout his talk. Nothing else was said about it.

:edited to add:
I don't drink caffeine drinks, I just wanted to bring up this incident because it's relevant. I wonder if now President Monson would do the same thing.

ithink
captain of 1,000

Post by ithink »

skmo wrote:This doesn't refer to Coke, but to Mtn Dew. In a Priesthood leadership meeting, President (and then member of the Quorum of The Twelve, Elder) Thomas S. Monson began a talk to local Church leaders in the Denver North Region (where I used to live) by bringing up this question. He simply said he wanted to address the issue in a plain and simple way. He pulled out a bottle of Mtn Dew, opened it, and drank it throughout his talk. Nothing else was said about it.

:edited to add:
I don't drink caffeine drinks, I just wanted to bring up this incident because it's relevant. I wonder if now President Monson would do the same thing.
We routinely return root beer to the counter if we mistakenly take it at a fast food restaurant -- if it is Barq's, because Barq's has caffeine. Last weekend I take my two eldest boys to the Seattle temple, and there in the cafeteria is a fountain of Barq's for sale. Now how the heck do I explain that to them?

I'll answer my own question: I shrug my shoulders and say: "Nothing really matters, I guess". You can now wear jeans to the temple. I saw that too. Tuxedo's used to be prohibited as well, but not now. I saw that also. Skin tight dresses, or whatever that woman was wearing -- come right in! 25 years ago we were asked to take our shoes off an leave them in the cloak area because we were walking on "holy ground", but not now, you can wear them right in to the baptistry if you want. Now throw the caffeinated Barq's in and a big thank you to the church for all the help we get raising our kids, and for setting the standard high, and the standard is this: load me up, it is hard work baptizing all those kids! If an Apostle can drink Mountain Dew from the pulpit and go on to be the prophet, and we can buy Barq's in the temple, then I interpret that as not much else really matters either. My stake president once told me (correctly) that the Lord does not expect the same level of obedience from me as he does the Prophet. Well, the example has been set, yet we are told "the bar has been raised". Please keep saying it, because I keep forgetting.

We've come a long way in 25 years, and it isn't up, or maybe I'm all bent out of shape for nothing. Straighten me out, I'm waiting.

In the meantime, please pass the Coke, Pepsi, and Mountain Dew, and Jolt! -- I need a quick drug induced sugar laden high from a scientifically proven addictive drug. And while you're at it, pass me a "mild drink". After all, is that not only not prohibited -- but recommended? I'd better get a sampling now before they start showing up in the temple cafeteria anyway.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

I don't have a problem with a Temple President presiding over his charged temple as he sees fit. if he's wrong, he'll answer for it in this life or the next. If someone's conscience dictates to them that they not drink caffeine drinks that is up to them. We've been given our instructions and we follow them as we choose.

I remember when a BYU player was expected to go quite high in the NFL draft but refused to go because he wouldn't play on Sunday (I believe it was Evan Pilgram, I could be wrong.) Steve Young was asked about it and explained that this was his job adn he did it as he saw he needed to do. Each of us decides for ourselves how we follow the words of The Lord, I'd say the Spirit tells us each according to our needs and callings.

Remember that originally the Word of Wisdom wasn't given as a commandment, it became one later. Even after the WOW was given, Joseph Smith had a bar in the basement of his house. Honestyly, I don't give too much thought to these matters, I listen to the words of our leaders and follow my conscience as I see fit.

At one point in my life, I, too, was frustrated at what I perceived as incongruities in the way the church runs things. I decided not to allow them to concern me. The church isn't perfect, it's run by us imperfect humans. God won't allow His Church to be led astray, I'll trust in that.

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

Sulk.

A few weeks ago, I decided to part ways with Dr. Pepper. Except that once a week I have one glorious drink other than water. Sometimes it's Dr. Pepper, sometimes Coke, sometimes it's a lousy root beer or lemonade... which is still somehow glorious when it's only once a week.

BTW - Barq's does have a non caffeinated version. Take a sip, if it doesn't feel fabulous, it's the caffeine free one. :lol: I remember the first time I tasted the non caffeinated version, I knew instantly something was wrong. That's terrible isn't it?

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

It's the bromaded vegetable oil in Mt. Dew that will make you crazy - literally. All of the citrusy soft drinks have bromide in them. Highly dangerous to your health with or without caffeine. Besides, all bottled water and soft drinks - caffeinated or not - have flouride.

I try to stay with our well water. Once a week or so, I may drink a can of Pepsi - and then feel just awful.

When taking the Sacrament water I nearly see double from the amount of chlorine in it!

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

buffalo_girl wrote: All of the citrusy soft drinks have bromide in them.
7-up is bromide and caffeine free. Depending on where it's bottled, it might not even have fluoride in it. As far as I'm aware, no city in Cache Valley (my home :wink: ) adds fluoride to their water. Fountain drinks are free from fluoride so long as the city doesn't add it to the water supply.

Cowboy
captain of 100

Post by Cowboy »

I drink copious amounts of Diet Pepsi and just switched over to Diet Coke because of the whole support of the gay agenda thing with Pepsi. I miss it but the moral high ground is worth it. I now drink overwhelming volumes of Diet Coke and it keeps me going in the right direction. Well worth the hassle of people telling me how wrong it is. I used to keep a six pack of Diet Pepsi behind the curtain in the window as Bishop and it never hurt a soul. Sure brought many relaxing moments just when they were needed though. ha ha
and particularly when some of the good people say: "Give me the double shot."
There is a double shot? Where do you get these double shots? I need a double shot.....NOW!

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

Don't make Donald Rumsfield richer and more satisfied with his eugenics program than he already is, Cowboy!!!

http://www.sweetpoison.com/articles/040 ... val_p.html
In 1974, the FDA approved aspartame for use in carbonated beverages and in dry products. But in December 1975, the FDA task force concluded that some of Searle's studies were questionable and the FDA withdrew the 1973 aspartame approval. But G.D. Searle continued to push for re-approval of aspartame as a sweetener, not a drug.

In October 1980 after great controversy and corporate pressure to re-approve aspartame, a Public Board of Inquiry (PBOI) was impaneled by the FDA to evaluate aspartame safety. The Board found that aspartame caused an unacceptable level of brain tumors in animals tested. Based on this fact, the PBOI ruled that aspartame should not be added to the food supply. One year later, aspartame was shockingly granted approval.

The next month in November 1980, Ronald Reagan was elected U.S. President. Donald Rumsfeld (former congressman from Skokie, Illinois, former White House Chief of Staff, and twice former Secretary of Defense) had been President of G.D. Searle since January 1977. He left Searle and joined the Reagan transition team. A full court press began against the FDA's board decision to suspend aspartame approval.

In meetings a few months later in January 1981, Rumsfeld told a corporate sales meeting attendee that he would call in his chips and get aspartame approved by the end of the year. On January 25th, the day President Reagan took office, the previous FDA commissioner's authority was suspended, and the next month, the appointed commissioner's job went to Dr. Arthur Hull Hayes.
Read the entire article!

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Cowboy wrote:I drink copious amounts of Diet Pepsi and just switched over to Diet Coke because of the whole support of the gay agenda thing with Pepsi. I miss it but the moral high ground is worth it. I now drink overwhelming volumes of Diet...
"diet coke" and "moral high ground"?? wait, what? You are free to drink what you want, but I hope you will at least educate yourself on the dangers of Aspartame (which diet colas are loaded with). regular colas are much healthier for you than diet... NOT that they are healthy, but healthier than the poisons in diet cola.
http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/dangers.htm
http://www.sweetpoison.com/

linj2fly
captain of 1,000

Post by linj2fly »

This is one area where I refrain from judging others. I've heard many anecdotal stories about the members of the twelve drinking caffeinated beverages. And I also keep in mind what the priesthood bulletin posted above states:

The church has NO official position. The rest of the bulletin is a guideline, and a good one at that.

It bugs me at church when people talk about caffeinated soft drinks like they are an official part of the WOW, or look down on others for doing so as if it's a major sin. I've never had a temple recommend NOT issued to me because I had an occasional pepsi, or whatever the drink may be.

On the health side, there are many unhealthy ingredients in MOST of today's carbonated beverages, some of which have already been mentioned. For this reason, as a general practice, I don't drink sodas very often, but that is my personal preference. I used to work nights. Occasionally, we'd get 'slammed' (several labor patients coming in at once). I wouldn't get my break/meal for hours. Pepsi, imho, (and graham crackers) saved me. I didn't drink it very often, so I didn't have a 'tolerance' built up yet. It went staight to my veins. ahhh. I'm sure my patients appreciated it.

All I have to say on this one is 'each to their own.'....and I'm sure you'll still be accepted into the celestial kingdom if you drink a coke.

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

I prefer diet coke with splenda, I have a years supply---"if" I drink just one can a day---

What does it matter? I think service matters, it's very important--, however, when all hell breaks loose, if you show up at my door seeking your cola fix,-----well--- don't!

Bob

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

linj2fly wrote:...Pepsi, imho, (and graham crackers) saved me...
Graham crackers? You mean those little things invented by a 19th Century minister to help people curb their harmful sexual desires?

Interesting tidbit for those of you who don't know about it. Graham crackers were invented bt the Presbyterian minister Sylvester Graham in order to help members of his congregation avoid "self abuse" (by which he meant masturbation) and even what he considered excessive sexual activity between married couples. He made them quite plain with coursely ground whole wheat and other grains and almost no sweeteners. If he knew what modern day Graham Crackers were (especially the ones I like, the Honey Maid cinnamon ones with extra cinnamon sugar on top) he'd be spinning in his grave.

ithink
captain of 1,000

Post by ithink »

skmo wrote:
linj2fly wrote:...Pepsi, imho, (and graham crackers) saved me...
Graham crackers? You mean those little things invented by a 19th Century minister to help people curb their harmful sexual desires?

Interesting tidbit for those of you who don't know about it. Graham crackers were invented bt the Presbyterian minister Sylvester Graham in order to help members of his congregation avoid "self abuse" (by which he meant masturbation) and even what he considered excessive sexual activity between married couples. He made them quite plain with coursely ground whole wheat and other grains and almost no sweeteners. If he knew what modern day Graham Crackers were (especially the ones I like, the Honey Maid cinnamon ones with extra cinnamon sugar on top) he'd be spinning in his grave.
Speaking of this, I wonder what would happen if we applied the same kind of logic that has been applied to drinking caffeinated bevarages to the law of chastity. Hmmmmmmm. After all, watching the odd "good" movie with a little bit of this and a little bit of that isn't in "the code" -- is it? It is a slippery slope folks.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Try finding a package without high fructose corn syrup! My wife makes them from scratch now....much better!

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Jason wrote:Try finding a package without high fructose corn syrup! My wife makes them from scratch now....much better!
Does she make some with copious amounts of cinnamon sugar on them? :)

Mmm, sugar addiction... :oops:

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

LOL nope...she's constantly cutting that ingredient in half until the family no longer will eat it...I'm sugar intoxicated!

ktg
captain of 100

Post by ktg »

LDSConservative wrote:
Cowboy wrote:I drink copious amounts of Diet Pepsi and just switched over to Diet Coke because of the whole support of the gay agenda thing with Pepsi. I miss it but the moral high ground is worth it. I now drink overwhelming volumes of Diet...
"diet coke" and "moral high ground"?? wait, what? You are free to drink what you want, but I hope you will at least educate yourself on the dangers of Aspartame (which diet colas are loaded with). regular colas are much healthier for you than diet... NOT that they are healthy, but healthier than the poisons in diet cola.
http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/dangers.htm
http://www.sweetpoison.com/
From personal experience I can tell you that aspartame is DEATH in a can (or gum or mint...). I can tell when I eat something with aspartame because my heart starts to freak. I agree that regular drinks are much better for you than diet. Now if they would make them with Stevia or some of the other healthy (or at least neutral) sweeteners, that would be great.

keeprunning
captain of 100

Post by keeprunning »

High fructose corn syrup or splenda is NOT much better for you than aspartame! Better to just leave it all for when you are desperate for a drink. I'm not a purist, I have sips now and then, but definately don't go out of my way to drink them. Plus the more expensive soda's made with cane sugar isn't good for you either--hello diabetes!

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

Oh yeah... home made graham crackers are good, and so are home made wheat thins.

p51-mustang
captain of 1,000

Post by p51-mustang »

According to the Soda pop board, All sodas are good for you as they give "essential sugars" that youngsters need. Whats wrong with you people?
Attachments
cola.jpg
cola.jpg (38.23 KiB) Viewed 4486 times

Spence
captain of 1,000

Post by Spence »

p51-mustang wrote:According to the Soda pop board, All sodas are good for you as they give "essential sugars" that youngsters need. Whats wrong with you people?
Intersting, I know of a 3 year old who is pretty scrawny and all she drinks is coke.... Yeah.. parents at their finest.

keeprunning
captain of 100

Post by keeprunning »

You know, it's just plain common sense to know that it's not good for your body.
It's like the ex-mormons who start drinking alcohol, coffee, and tea, "just because they can now."
yea. so it's now suddenly okay. let's not use common sense and care about how it affects our health. :roll:

Soda may seem okay to drink because it doesn't usually seem to impare the mind and body like the bigger no-no's, however we now know what can happen to your body in the longterm with regular use. And in the short term for some sensitive individuals. And I'm not even thinking about the ones that contain caffeine as well!

kate brierley
Hi, I'm new.

Post by kate brierley »

We are intelligent beings, and have been requested not to be commanded in all things, in other words use your common sense, coca cola and similar drinks are poison and should have a hazard warning sign on them. Lately there has been evidence that caffeine creates damage to the brain which shows up as dark patches in the brain on brain scans xrays etc, which can't be good now can it?? Why would the Church come out and publicly knock coca cola when that company is more powerful than some small countries - its just asking for trouble at a time when we do not need it as an organisation. We have been warned and those who have listening ears will hear what is really being said. Personally I would not put it in my body - it is total rubbish.